Things I learn from press releases

Anything!

Re: Things I learn from press releases

Postby heater31 » Fri May 09, 2014 10:21 am

Phantom Gossiper wrote:Didn't know what thread to post it in, but it appears the Shahin owned Peregrine Corp who own and operate the 'On the Run' service stations have just bought out the remaining BP company owned services stations in SA.

This now gives them a virtual monopoly over service stations in SA - is this a good thing or a bad thing?

Well its a nice change from Coles and Woolworths owing everything......

Very ruthless business operators driven by the almighty $$$.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Mr Beefy » Fri May 09, 2014 10:23 am

Phantom Gossiper wrote:Didn't know what thread to post it in, but it appears the Shahin owned Peregrine Corp who own and operate the 'On the Run' service stations have just bought out the remaining BP company owned services stations in SA.

This now gives them a virtual monopoly over service stations in SA - is this a good thing or a bad thing?

Coles/Shell, Woolworths/Caltex, and the independents?
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Fri May 09, 2014 10:59 am

Mr Beefy wrote:Coles/Shell, Woolworths/Caltex, and the independents?

Ah yes apologies, I thought Peregrine bought out all the Shell's but I forgot about the Coles and Woolies ones.. they wont last though, who wants to go there when you can go to an on the run which is basically a one stop shop for all your needs?
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby Q. » Fri May 09, 2014 11:08 am

Phantom Gossiper wrote:
Mr Beefy wrote:Coles/Shell, Woolworths/Caltex, and the independents?

Ah yes apologies, I thought Peregrine bought out all the Shell's but I forgot about the Coles and Woolies ones.. they wont last though, who wants to go there when you can go to an on the run which is basically a one stop shop for all your needs?

Will buy petrol from wherever I don't have to wait in line behind some **** buying shit coffee.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Psyber » Fri May 09, 2014 12:11 pm

I've opted out - I just buy petrol when I need it wherever I am when I notice, and buy the 98 octane stuff as the engine has a high enough compression ratio to benefit from it. The most I'd save for wasting my time would be $2.40 a tank and usually less...

If there happens to be a competitive Coles or Woolworths outlet there I use the vouchers I have, but sometimes the independents are cheaper than their allegedly discounted price.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 390 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Fri May 09, 2014 12:19 pm

Psyber wrote:I've opted out - I just buy petrol when I need it wherever I am when I notice, and buy the 98 octane stuff as the engine has a high enough compression ratio to benefit from it. The most I'd save for wasting my time would be $2.40 a tank and usually less..

Ditto, for the time and effort required to find competitive prices and discounts it's not worth it for the saving. 98 is the best, and you get value for your $
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed May 28, 2014 12:58 pm

Clever PR companies will leap on anything to try and give their client some leverage for a media opportunity.
Here's an example from BOC, gas suppliers, inspired by this http://youtu.be/cU8ps6okoJ4

Morgan Freeman’s funny helium voice no laughing matter: BOC

Gases and engineering company BOC says a viral video showing actor Morgan Freeman speaking in a “funny” voice after inhaling helium is no laughing matter.

While it is popularly recognised that inhaling helium can produce humorous cartoon-like speech, as a major supplier of helium throughout Australia and the South Pacific, BOC has warned it is not always harmless fun.

“We don’t wish to be the fun police in this instance but people should be reminded that the practice of inhaling helium can have harmful or even deadly consequences,’’ said Melissa Hayes, General Manager, Communications.

“We urge people to always follow the safety warnings and use helium and other industrial gases only in the manners for which they are intended.

“There are many risks associated with intentionally breathing in helium such as cutting off oxygen supply and rupturing the lungs from inhaling too deeply.

“The best advice is to avoid this behaviour as it is not worth the risk for the sake of a joke,’’ Ms Hayes said.

BOC intends to contact the producers of the Science Channel’s Through the Wormhole series to warn them of the risks of intentionally inhaling helium.

A video of host Morgan Freeman promoting the show by speaking in a silly voice after inhaling the gas from a balloon has received many millions of views on YouTube and other social media platforms since the weekend.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Psyber » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:53 pm

Not to believe them without looking more into it: https://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/fall- ... 46901.html

Australian home prices appear to have lost momentum, particularly in Melbourne which had previously registered some of the strongest gains.
RP Data - Rismark's home value index confirmed a 1.9 per cent fall in average dwelling prices across the nation's capital cities last month - the first time in a year that home prices had a monthly decline.
CommSec says the monthly decline is the worst since December 2008, around five-and-a-half years ago.
A 3.6 per cent slide in Melbourne prices in May led the slide, but all other state capitals also recorded declines.

In contrast to this statement asking prices around the Adelaide Hills have been rising fairly substantially.

Time will tell whether those promoting the higher asking prices are right - and getting them - or whether it is just the lag between the eastern states and here, and they will drop here soon. But I'm left wondering who is hoping to make a big profit out of whipping up the expectations that prices may fall.
(It's what I do when I am buying.)
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 390 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Coopers clarification

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:33 am

This would interest some

Media Clarification
In recent media reports, there has been some confusion about how the Managing Director of Coopers Brewery, Dr Tim Cooper, and the company Chairman, Mr Glenn Cooper, are related.
Tim and Glenn are not brothers.
The simplest way to describe them is cousins.
They both have the same great, great grandfather, Thomas Cooper, who founded the brewery.
However, Glenn is descended from Thomas Cooper’s first wife, Ann (1827-1872) while Tim is descended from Thomas Cooper’s second wife, Sarah (1842-1928), who Thomas married in 1874.
It would be appreciated if this information could be filed with any stories about Coopers to ensure the correct relationship is used in the future.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Krispy Kreme

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:33 pm

After years of hauling it to SA on planes……

And the smell of Krispy Kreme doughnuts wafting through overhead

lockers in planes

After months of watching the creation of SA’s very own Krispy

Kreme manufacturing facility and 24hour hour drive thru store

And many many facebook requests asking for this piece of

information

We are excited to announce, South Australia’s first Krispy Kreme

store at 563 Port Road, West Croydon will open at

10am on Tuesday 15 July

More information will be released soon including how someone in SA can win a years supply of Krispy Kreme doughnuts….

KRISPY KREME SA FAST FACTS

A visit to Krispy Kreme SA will be an experience like no other – a viewing area enables visitors to watch the world-famous Krispy Kreme hot original glazed doughnuts come off the line (looks like a doughnut rollercoaster) after 1.5 hours in the making.

The viewing area will also enable visitors to watch staff decorating the specialty doughnuts.

The store features dine in (on 2 levels), take away and drive through facilities.

More than 80 retail and production team members have been employed so that South Australians will have a fresh supply of Krispy Kreme doughnuts 24/7.

The doughnut line in Adelaide can produce up to 5000 doughnuts per hour and it is the largest dual line in the Asia Pacific Region.

Traditionally, when Krispy Kreme stores open around the world, there is a massive queue waiting to be the first to experience the iconic doughnuts – many times people sleep out overnight the night prior to opening just to say they were the first!

The Krispy Kreme menu also includes drinks, juices and decadent desserts.

The famous Hot Light is the neon sign at the front of the store, when illuminated, it indicates that hot doughnuts have just come off the line and are ready to be enjoyed by the dozen.

About Krispy Kreme

Founded in 1937 in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States of America, Krispy Kreme is a leading branded specialty retailer of premium quality doughnuts, including the signature Hot Original Glazed. There are currently approximately [320] Krispy Kreme stores and [80] satellites operating system-wide in the United States of America, Australia, Canada, Mexico, the Republic of South Korea and the United Kingdom. Krispy Kreme can be found on the World Wide Web at www.krispykreme.com.au
Dogwatcher
Coach

Re: Krispy Kreme

Postby Failed Creation » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:40 am

Dogwatcher wrote:Traditionally, when Krispy Kreme stores open around the world, there is a massive queue waiting to be the first to experience the iconic doughnuts – many times people sleep out overnight the night prior to opening just to say they were the first!

Why don't they just give it a week, and visit when there's no lines?

Aren't the Shahins running this mob in S.A.? If so, I feel for the employees...
Politicians kissing babies for good luck,
TV preachers sell salvation for a buck.
You don't need no golden cross to tell you wrong from right,
The world's worst murderers were those who saw the light.
Failed Creation
Coach

Has liked: 3307 times
Been liked: 613 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby Booney » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:46 am

Failed Creation wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:Traditionally, when Krispy Kreme stores open around the world, there is a massive queue waiting to be the first to experience the iconic doughnuts – many times people sleep out overnight the night prior to opening just to say they were the first!

Correct, Krispy Kreme in SA is part of the Peregrine Group.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10780 times

Postby HH3 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:50 am

Booney wrote:
Failed Creation wrote:

So when I go in to "fill up" on doughnuts, Im gonna have to wait for some **** to make 7 coffees?
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Booney » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:59 am

HH3 wrote:
Booney wrote:
Failed Creation wrote:

So when I go in to "fill up" on doughnuts, Im gonna have to wait for some **** to make 7 coffees?

First World Problems hey?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10780 times

Postby GWW » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:00 am

..and pay for a packet of chewys on EFTPOS.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby Failed Creation » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:33 am

HH3 wrote:
Booney wrote:
Failed Creation wrote:

Most likely.

The worst OTR outlet is at Kensington Park, where you have people queuing for coffee AND 'freshly squeezed' orange juice...
Politicians kissing babies for good luck,
TV preachers sell salvation for a buck.
You don't need no golden cross to tell you wrong from right,
The world's worst murderers were those who saw the light.
Failed Creation
Coach

Has liked: 3307 times
Been liked: 613 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby HH3 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:45 am

Is this thread coming up as "Things I learn from press releases" until you click into it??
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:04 am

Australia Post welcomes community debate on future
Australia Post welcomes the release today of the Australian and International Postal Services Overview Report. “Australians have fundamentally changed the way they communicate as they embrace digital technology which, as this report confirms, has resulted in a dramatic and irreversible decline in letter volumes,” said Australia Post Managing Director and CEO Ahmed Fahour. “We are already responding to the changing needs of the community and our customers however we must continue to evolve our business so that we can provide the trusted services that they expect from a modern postal service. “The report substantially supports Australia Post’s assessment of the perilous state of the Letters business and impresses the urgency for regulatory reform so we can respond accordingly. “It highlights that there is a significant financial penalty for every year that we delay implementing reform of our Letters business. Without further modernisation and regulatory change, Australia Post will very soon become unsustainable. It will become necessary for the government to subsidise the delivery of our services, which is ultimately a cost to the taxpayer,” said Mr Fahour. “The report also makes it clear that the impact of digital communication on letters services is not unique to Australia and that many other countries are already taking decisive action. “We must learn from the international response as we develop our own solutions. We look forward to working with our many stakeholders, including the Federal Government and the community on modernising Australia Post.”
One of the ways the business is seeking to limit the losses is through the introduction of the two-speed letters service for businesses, which gives the sender the choice of a slower speed at a lower price. “Under this model, the postie still does his round every day, but the sender has choice on a price point and speed that suits their needs. “This means we can fully utilise our resources on the frontline to deliver services that Australians want, such as weekend post office trading and parcel deliveries. We have also trained and equipped our posties to deliver small parcels as part of their normal round and we will continue to look for opportunities to find new ways to keep our staff employed in valuable and rewarding roles,” Mr Fahour said.
Media Release
For further information, please contact:
National Media Line
03 9106 6666
“As we make changes, we will continue to be mindful of the impact they will have on stakeholders who are most dependent on our business, including our employees, the elderly, regional and rural communities and LPOs, and will ensure that we protect them from any impacts as much as possible,” added Mr Fahour.
“Last week we launched a rural sustainability package to help boost our critical rural network, bringing our recent investment in the LPO and CPA network to $40m.
“As we move through this process, we will continue to engage with the community. We have launched a new national conversation website to encourage all Australians to contribute their thoughts on the future of Australia Post and to let us know what is important to them as Australia Post evolves.”
The national conversation website is now available at www.auspost.com.au/conversation
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:04 am

Hand of God Returns

72% Married Men on AshleyMadison.com Choose Soccer Over Sex

Married men are choosing to watch sweaty soccer players rather than being intimate with their wives or affair partners. According to a recent survey of 15,164 married men on AshleyMadison.com, a shocking 72% would rather watch the final FIFA 2014 World Cup game than have sex.

Noel Biderman, CEO and Founder of AshleyMadison.com, explains this sudden sport-related sexual drought, “These men are die-hard soccer fans who, for the past month, have devoted all of their spare time and emotional energy to supporting their favourite team. Believe it or not, the passion and excitement men feel for the game is often on par with that for their partner, however, in this case watching the game has taken priority over fulfilling sexual needs in their relationship.”

More scandalous stats from this survey include:

· Only 8% of ‘manstresses’ (single males) would be willing to miss the big game to have sex with a lover.

· Sore losers? Husbands in Spain (68%), Australia (58%) and Italy (57%) want to avoid watching the final game at all costs, and would be more than twice as likely to satisfy their wives or affair partners during the big game compared to their global counterparts.

· 64% of Brazilian and 57% of Dutch members would be open to getting down and dirty only if they’re able to watch the game at the same time.

· 34% of Germans and 29% of Argentineans have thought about soccer while being intimate with their wife or affair partner.

· 69% of male members have pre-prepared excuses for their wives or affair partners. The top excuses to avoid sex include ‘I might miss a goal’ (53%), ‘I’m hungover’ (40%) or ‘I’m too tired’ (33%).

While husband are watching the game, 31% of women plan to score a goal of their own, with the ‘hand of god's’ special touch. Many wives and extra-marital lovers feel penalized by their man’s love for the game and find themselves lusting over the players – 62% of women admitted to fantasizing about having an affair with a soccer player. According to a recent survey ranking the top “cheat-worthy” players, female members of AshleyMadison.com swooned the most over:

1. Gerard Pique 13.3%

2. Glen Johnson 12.5%

3. Mats Hummels 10.4%

4. Tim Cahill 10.2%

5. Christiano Ronaldo 9.9%
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:29 am

Dogwatcher wrote:
r. According to a recent survey ranking the top “cheat-worthy” players, female members of AshleyMadison.com swooned the most over:

1. Gerard Pique 13.3% - Meh

2. Glen Johnson 12.5% - Meh

3. Mats Hummels 10.4% - Eek

4. Tim Cahill 10.2% - ok, he's cute.

5. Christiano Ronaldo 9.9% - cute but has a rugby neck

These women have no taste. They just don't make 'em like Marco Van Basten anymore =P~
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion