I hate hippies enough as it is.
Squids
Coach

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 205 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Re: Things that you rate!

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:08 pm

pels wrote:http://www.smh.com.au/world/americas-first-recreational-marijuana-stores-open-20140102-hv7a6.html
Lets hope this happens in Australia soon

Can't see it ever happening here, despite all the benefits of legalising cannabis. Australia isn't the progressive country that most think it is. In fact I don't think we would even make the top 100.
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby nwdfanparade » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:04 pm

pels wrote:http://www.smh.com.au/world/americas-first-recreational-marijuana-stores-open-20140102-hv7a6.html

Taking into account the problems caused by "recreational" drinking until 3am, I hate to think what the ramifications of "recreational" dope smoking until 3am will be.
nwdfanparade
Under 18s

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 153 times

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:56 pm

nwdfanparade wrote:

Taking into account the problems caused by "recreational" drinking until 3am, I hate to think what the ramifications of "recreational" dope smoking until 3am will be.

Uuuummmm........falling asleep? Getting the munchies?

Cannabis users are more likely to stay home or go to a friends house. Certainly won't find any dope smokers out king hitting people at 3am in the morning on Hindley St. More like giggling in the Art Gallery at 3pm.
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Postby Psyber » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:44 pm

This seems an apt point and place in which to post this: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/818 ... _psyc@uac=%%uac%%&spon=12

Long-term marijuana use has been linked to structural brain changes similar to those observed in schizophrenia patients, and these changes correlate with poorer working memory, new research shows.

A study conducted by investigators at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine in Chicago, Illinois, showed that teens who smoked marijuana daily for about 3 years performed poorly on tests of working memory and had abnormal changes in brain structures akin to those seen in patients with schizophrenia. This study links the long-term use of marijuana to "concerning brain abnormalities that appear to last for at least a few years after people stop using it," lead investigator Matthew Smith, PhD, assistant research professor in psychiatry and behavioral sciences, said in a statement. "With the movement to decriminalize marijuana, we need more research to understand its effect on the brain," he added. In addition, memory problems and brain changes were observed 2 years after the teens stopped smoking marijuana, suggesting long-term use has long-term, negative effects.

Structural Changes
A total of 97 young people participated, including 44 healthy individuals who had no history of substance use disorder, 10 healthy individuals with cannabis-use disorder (CUD), 28 individuals with schizophrenia with no history of substance use disorder, and 15 individuals with schizophrenia and a CUD history. Marijuana users started smoking daily between the ages of 16 and 17 years and continued for about 3 years. At the time of the study, they had been marijuana-free for approximately 2 years. The marijuana users did not abuse any other drugs.

Structural magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) studies revealed "shape differences" in the striatum, globus pallidus, and thalamus in the healthy and schizophrenic participants with CUD. These memory-related brain structures appeared to shrink or collapse inward in the CUD groups, possibly suggesting a decline in neurons, the researchers note. Marijuana-related striatal and thalamic shape differences correlated with poorer working memory on standard tests and younger age at onset of CUD in both healthy participants and schizophrenic marijuana users.

The researchers point out that most of the schizophrenic users met diagnostic criteria for CUD prior to the onset of schizophrenia, suggesting that long-term marijuana use might contribute to the underlying disease process. "If someone has a family history of schizophrenia, they are increasing their risk of developing schizophrenia if they abuse marijuana," said Dr. Smith. Heavy marijuana use "may have dangerous implications for young people who are developing or have developed mental disorders," added co–senior author John Csernansky, MD, chair of psychiatry and behavioral sciences at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine and Northwestern Memorial Hospital. "This paper is among the first to reveal that the use of marijuana may contribute to the changes in brain structure that have been associated with having schizophrenia," he said.

The investigators note that their data are cross-sectional and therefore cannot indicate causality.
Still, they point out that, given the potential impact of cannabis on working memory and the underlying structures that support it, more careful consideration should be given to efforts to legalize recreational and medicinal cannabis.
"Of special concern is that cannabis use could begin long before an adolescent or young adult would know if they were in one of these vulnerable groups," they conclude.

Memory Findings Key
This is a "very good study," Matthijs Bossong, PhD, of the Institute of Psychiatry, Department of Psychosis Studies, King's College London, in the United Kingdom, who was not involved in the study, told Medscape Medical News. He said the "particular strengths" are the inclusion of healthy control individuals with and without CUD and schizophrenia patients with and without CUD and the correlation between working memory function and anatomic changes.

"Most structural MRI studies just report anatomical abnormalities between groups without mentioning the functional impact," Dr. Bossong explained. "In my opinion, that structural abnormalities are related to working memory function is the news in this paper." "It's still unclear whether cannabis has a bigger impact on schizophrenia patients than on healthy controls. They describe it qualitatively, but it has not been tested statistically," he noted.

Regarding the debate around the legalization of recreational and medicinal cannabis use, Dr. Bossong said it is important to note that the authors have shown structural and functional abnormalities in groups with a CUD, "which is in line with other papers that have demonstrated that particularly heavy cannabis use may have negative effects on the brain." "The beneficial effects of cannabis prescribed for medicinal purposes (eg, chronic pain) may significantly outweigh the more subtle negative effects," Dr. Bossong said.

The research was supported by grants from the National Institute of Mental Health and the National Institute on Drug Abuse.
The authors and Dr. Bossong report no relevant financial relationships.
Schizophr Bull. Published online December 15, 2013. Medscape Medical News © 2013 WebMD, LLC
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 393 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Squids » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:55 pm

Is that a peer reviewed article? If not then tsg will dismiss it.
Squids
Coach

Postby Gozu » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:01 pm

nwdfanparade wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reefer_Madness
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:32 pm

Squids wrote:Is that a peer reviewed article? If not then tsg will dismiss it.

Not disputing hardcore long term cannabis use isn't good for you. Smoking it every single minute you are awake for 3 years will mess with your memory.

A couple of years ago researchers were saying that cannabis use caused schizophrenia, which has now been proven incorrect.

More and more evidence points to the benefits of cannabis use and legalising.

Psyber is from that generation that is holding us back. Nothing will change his mind. Unfortunately, he still gets a vote.
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Postby Squids » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:34 pm

Wheres your source? I only accept peer reviewed papers.
Squids
Coach

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:53 pm

http://www.whydontyoutrythis.com/2013/0 ... ancer.html

How many do you want?

Let it be noted that Psyber's anti cannabis stand is going against the grain of a lot of his peers.

http://www.leafscience.com/2013/12/22/a ... marijuana/
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:55 pm

Psyber keeps throwing up the Schizophrenia angle, but like I said, it is getting hard to do these days.

http://www.smellthetruth.org/health/har ... izophrenia
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Postby RustyCage » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:11 pm

http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/34110/title/Is-Cannabis-Really-That-Bad-/

An interesting article that links to studies for both sides of the argument
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby Squids » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:11 pm

You must of missed the peer reviewed part.
Squids
Coach

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:18 pm

The "War on Drugs" costs the Australian taxpayer about $5 Billion a year. The war has being going for 40 years, and it will never be won (or lost, depending on which side you are on).

Next time the media make a big deal out of alcohol fueled king hit death, remember no one stoned has ever done that.
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Postby Squids » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:32 pm

Cool lets ban alcohol and legalise dope
Squids
Coach

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:36 pm

RustyCage wrote:http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/34110/title/Is-Cannabis-Really-That-Bad-/

An interesting article that links to studies for both sides of the argument

Adolescents keep getting thrown into the debate. At the moment, there are no controls on the sale of cannabis. The only thing stopping kids getting their hands on cannabis is the morals of your local drug dealer, so good luck with that. I guarantee, if cannabis was legalized and the sale regulated, kids would find it 10 times harder to get their hands on it. Like cigarettes and alcohol.

I have no doubt smoking dope does affect memory. Not in the major way it is portrayed though. It is more like "Where the f#$% did I leave my lighter?" or "Why did I come into this room again?". If you want to talk about memory loss, you should really talk about the alcohol blackouts that occur. With cannabis, it is a split second, while alcohol can be hours you don't recall anything.

Cannabis doesn't have to be smoked. It can be used in a vapourizer, eaten or taken in capsule form.

There is a major player in all this that doesn't get mentioned. The pharmaceutical industry. They would be the biggest losers if cannabis was legalized.
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:39 pm

Squids wrote:Cool lets ban alcohol and legalise dope

Banning anything the people want doesn't work, but considering alcohol kills thousands of Australians each year, and cannabis use has never had a death attributed to it, the law is F@#$ed up.
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:39 pm

The Sleeping Giant wrote:Psyber keeps throwing up the Schizophrenia angle, but like I said, it is getting hard to do these days.

I never believed that theory either until I caught myself stealing my stash. Now neither of us are too sure.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:42 pm

johntheclaret wrote:
The Sleeping Giant wrote:Psyber keeps throwing up the Schizophrenia angle, but like I said, it is getting hard to do these days.

I never believed that theory either until I caught myself stealing my stash. Now neither of us are too sure.

LOL.

Well the sly bastard knows where you keep it.
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion