bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Postby wristwatcher » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:00 pm

Q. wrote:Wristwatcher has more chins than Matt Preston

I can lose weight, can you grow hair champ :)
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 851 times

Postby Footy Chick » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:08 pm

wristwatcher wrote:
Q. wrote:Wristwatcher has more chins than Matt Preston

I can lose weight, can you grow hair champ :)

He can grow plenty of hair , just everywhere except his head :lol:
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1744 times
Been liked: 2154 times

Postby HH3 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:20 pm

We tried the Lighthouse again after the Beroe (spelling?) Group bought it a couple of weeks ago.

Pretty disappointed. They've changed everything we loved about the place. The only saving grace was the alcoholic Sars was still there, but i got the feeling its only til the stock runs out.

Last visit 2/10....coz i bought 2 Sars's's's....
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby The Dark Knight » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:55 pm

My girlfriend and I went down to Handorf on Sunday and had lunch at the Handorf Inn. It's really nice in there and the food we saw on other tables walking in looked really good so we had high hopes. We left a bit disappointed. We waited 45 mins for our food, yes it was pretty busy and it's a popular place but surely they'd be used to that and would adjust their serving speeds accordingly. Was a real frustrating wait, especially when the people that ordered 5/10 mins after me got there food before us.

It's obviously about quality over quantity there and that annoyed us too, definitely not value for money in our opinion. My girlfriend got a Chicken Snitty, while it was really nice and cooked really well it should of been bigger considering the she paid $19.90 for it, she got f**k all chips too, that was ridiculous. Her side of salad was nice though, not too much dressing on it. You get a much bigger Snitty with a shit load more chips for $1 less at the Birkenhead Tavern.

I had the Pork roast with Apple Salad, photo bake, Carrots and Zucchini. It was really, really nice but there was simply not enough in my opinion for the $19.50 I paid. I got 4 small slices of Pork yet had a decent serving of and therefore too much Apple Sauce. The Apple Sauce was delightful though.

I'll give it a 6.5/10, extra half a point for the Apple Sauce I had.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10404 times
Been liked: 1538 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Pag » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:21 am

Ate at Bread and Bone on Peel St last night before the soccer. Burger lovers need to get there ASAP.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby Booney » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:22 am

Had a feed at the First Commercial in the Port on Saturday night before a mates 50th.

Mrs had poached chicken breast and I went a chicken schnitty with pepper ( was about to smash the ales so went with something safe ) and both were cracking meals with home style like Mum used to make carrots, mash, greens and nice fresh bread provided.

At $12 each not only would you not complain but you would be back again.

8/10

Onto the venue itself, the room upstairs is fantastic. Full bar upstairs, ladies and mens toilets ( handy for the older folk so they don't have to go up and down the stairs ) good sized room ( would easily hold 100+ ) with fully enclosed balcony with pool table and smokers outside area around the corner, seating for 40-50 at tables and a DJ / Dance floor area. Nice polished floors inside and out with exposed blue stone walls. Really gives it the old woolshed type look/feel that the Port is famous for.

If you live West / North-West and are looking for a venue for a 18th, 21st, special occasion I would highly recommend checking out the upstairs venue at The First Commercial.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7526 times
Been liked: 10831 times

Postby JK » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:41 am

Booney wrote:Had a feed at the First Commercial in the Port on Saturday night before a mates 50th.

Mrs had poached chicken breast and I went a chicken schnitty with pepper ( was about to smash the ales so went with something safe ) and both were cracking meals with home style like Mum used to make carrots, mash, greens and nice fresh bread provided.

At $12 each not only would you not complain but you would be back again.

8/10

Onto the venue itself, the room upstairs is fantastic. Full bar upstairs, ladies and mens toilets ( handy for the older folk so they don't have to go up and down the stairs ) good sized room ( would easily hold 100+ ) with fully enclosed balcony with pool table and smokers outside area around the corner, seating for 40-50 at tables and a DJ / Dance floor area. Nice polished floors inside and out with exposed blue stone walls. Really gives it the old woolshed type look/feel that the Port is famous for.

If you live West / North-West and are looking for a venue for a 18th, 21st, special occasion I would highly recommend checking out the upstairs venue at The First Commercial.

Does Clarkey still own the place or did he get rid of it?
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4466 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Booney » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:57 am

From memory* there was a bloke mid-30ish with bald head/fair hair who was in the process of handing the pub over. Is that him?

*$3 pale schooners + $6 shots = sketchy memory at best
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby JK » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:00 am

Booney wrote:From memory* there was a bloke mid-30ish with bald head/fair hair who was in the process of handing the pub over. Is that him?

*$3 pale schooners + $6 shots = sketchy memory at best

Yeah sounds like it, although I reckon he'd be happy with the age you've given him. He's had a few running battles with the council over the years I think. It's a top little old school pub and great for a night out with mates having a few beers and bets on the dishlickers.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4466 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:04 pm

HH3 wrote:We tried the Lighthouse again after the Beroe (spelling?) Group bought it a couple of weeks ago.

Pretty disappointed. They've changed everything we loved about the place. The only saving grace was the alcoholic Sars was still there, but i got the feeling its only til the stock runs out.

Last visit 2/10....coz i bought 2 Sars's's's....

yep, this got a menion on the Schnitty appreciation group on FB saying it had basically turned to shite, which has to be unfortunate if you live nearby and you know how good it was!
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11938 times
Been liked: 3639 times

Postby wristwatcher » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:34 pm

Has anyone eaten at the SAFC. I caught up with a mate there on Tuesday and the bistro at dinner had a grand total of two customers over the 3 hours I was there. Not exactly awe inspiring.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Postby Jim05 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:41 pm

wristwatcher wrote:Has anyone eaten at the SAFC. I caught up with a mate there on Tuesday and the bistro at dinner had a grand total of two customers over the 3 hours I was there. Not exactly awe inspiring.

Have eaten several times there when Norwood are down there, usually a decent feed, Americano schnitty was superb last visit
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1127 times
Been liked: 3567 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby wristwatcher » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:46 pm

Jim05 wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:Has anyone eaten at the SAFC. I caught up with a mate there on Tuesday and the bistro at dinner had a grand total of two customers over the 3 hours I was there. Not exactly awe inspiring.

Have eaten several times there when Norwood are down there, usually a decent feed, Americano schnitty was superb last visit

Venue looked good, staff were nice. I was just very surprised to see no customers.
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:21 am

wristwatcher wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

Venue looked good, staff were nice. I was just very surprised to see no customers.

Used to get a decent feed down there but now its just overpriced rubbish which is a
Shame.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11938 times
Been liked: 3639 times

Postby Booney » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:05 am

Seaton Hotel :

Junior Boon's Birthday yesterday so off to The Seaton for dinner.

$15 for 1/2 dozen kilpatrick to begin with. Very fresh and perfectly covered with kilpatrick, as good as I've had. Unfortunately, it went downhill from there.

Mrs Boon and the little Boon's all went chicken schnitty's which I must say were on the money as far as a schnitty goes. Covered the plate, huge serving of nice chips, what you'd expect from a pub as far as a schnitty goes.

I went to the Specials Board for roast pork belly with a trio of sweet and roasted potatoes and apple cider jus.

Well, the "jus" was more like the scrapings off the bottom of a baking tray that you'd done your spuds in. It was black, like a chutney in consistency, horribly salty and not very appealing at all. Why they put about 8 massive spoonfuls on the plate I don't know.

The "trio" of potatoes should have been advertised as a "burnt to an inch of existence duo" as they sweet potato and spuds were on the cusp of being charcoal only.

The only saving grace, the pork belly was simply perfect and to be honest portion size was way, way over the top. For something so rich there is no need to plate up so much, but given the rest of the meal I wasn't complaining about the belly.

Overall, considering all the meals - 7.5/10*

My meal on it's own - 4/10

I did tell the waitress about the "jus" and the spuds, didn't need to say much as almost all of both were still on my plate.

*She came into the pokie room and gave me a pint of West End on the house. Made up for some of the level of disappointment.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:08 am

"little" is not the word I would use to describe Billy :lol:
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1744 times
Been liked: 2154 times

Postby Booney » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:10 am

Footy Chick wrote:"little" is not the word I would use to describe Billy :lol:

This is true! :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby am Bays » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:19 am

Booney wrote:*She came into the pokie room and gave me a pint of West End on the house. Made up for some of the level of disappointment.

Winner Winner, Chicken Dinner!!!
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 1833 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion