They don't keep me here because I'm gorgeous and 5'10
Brucetiki
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 198 times
Been liked: 34 times

Re: Buying a House

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:19 pm

for $350k you can get a reasonable house

depending on your situation and want and needs, just getting into the market is a good thing, cos you can always upgrade when your circumstances require you to do so
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11925 times
Been liked: 3634 times

Postby Pat Malone » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Pag wrote:Thanks for all the info guys.

We're double-income, no-kids at the moment, suburbs we're most likely to buy in are Paralowie or Salisbury East, between $300k and $370k (both about halfway between both lots of parents, plenty of shops and schools around). We don't plan on moving again once life gets more complicated, so looking at a family home with two bathrooms. Would love a man-cave out the back if possible too, we can all have dreams I spose? ;)

We've been sitting on realestate.com.au since about June last year and heading to open inspections on weekends since footy season finished last year, so we think we have a good idea of what is worth what around the area.

We're looking at two really hard at the moment, both similar prices, one in Paralowie and one in Salisbury East. One has 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, but no outdoor entertaining area/verandah out the back, just a lotta grass on a bigger block (830 square metre), the other has been newly rendered and renovated with a beautiful entertaining area out the back with a shade sail, as well as some grass and has 3 bedrooms with 2 bathrooms. We love them both and are taking advice from everyone we talk to lol.

The area you are looking to purchase in mate isnt one thats likely to bring any substantial future profits through subdivision of the block (due to the distance from the cbd and the cost of subdivision in relation to value of the land alone). Therefore consider how you would try and improve the value of your investment over the next however long so that when it comes to selling you have maximised your wealth. This helps take to take a little of the emotion out of the decision if you consider it a future business transaction along with a home.
In the areas you are looking the value is obviously less per square metre than some of the more affluent eastern suburbs so more conisderation should be given to the house than block size imo, although this may come at the expense of the man den and your sanity.
Also look at what houses are selling at the moment mate, I would think the Paralowie and Salisbury East market would be a majoirty of young families or couples looking to start one. The demographic of the market isnt going to change in any forseeable time so consider what properties are likely to appeal to a bigger demographic.
You arent paying the commission to the agent so ignore any posts relating to agent listed properties. The majority work for a quick sale and mediate rather than serving their role as the vendor's representative so opportunities often arise for price negotiations.
Pat Malone
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Tooting Bec » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:46 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:for $350k you can get a reasonable house

depending on your situation and want and needs, just getting into the market is a good thing, cos you can always upgrade when your circumstances require you to do so

You reckon 350 can get you a decent house wouldn't you but unless you want to live in the burbs it'll get you nothing more than a 2 bedroom unit in more of the eastern suburbs.
Tooting Bec
Under 16s

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:53 pm

very true

it all depends on where you wanna live really

With Pag, choosing burbs in the northern area $350k should surely be enough to purchase a nice comfy home

Saw a house 3-4 yrs ago, just before we got into the market going for $320k at morphett vale and it was a little gem of a joint, could easily move in and not worry about any reno's

then ive seen houses for $220k - and the owner knocked back $180k cash the day before - and $180k was being quite generous!!!! :shock:
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:40 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:for $350k you can get a reasonable house

My mate at Modbury is putting his place on the market for ballpark 350k. Three bedroom, updated kitchen (circa 2006), updated bathroom (circa 2008), two toilets, huge double garage out the back of the house. 733sq. Not saying anyone specifically should buy it, but more saying that's the going rate for Modbury/350k.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby Strawb » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:39 pm

I live in Werribee scummy area of Melbourne as some feel. I enjoy where I live, we brought a house for 165,000 which had been semi renovated. The kitchen hadn't been. There was a few good reasons why we brought where we did shops close by,easy walk to work, bottle shop around the corner, close to schools and public transport. In the past four years the block is worth 300,000 people want to buy and build units in the area. Me I am looking at knocking my house down and rebuilding on the block.
I am the Voice Left From Drinking
Strawb
Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: Wingfield Royals

Postby Booney » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:18 am

You can buy mine this Saturday at the aution if you like - http://www.myhouserealestate.com.au/property.php?prop_id=275

For $350k or thereabouts - new kitchen,bathroom. Ducted,polished boards, huge detatched party/rumpus/mans room.....
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7523 times
Been liked: 10829 times

Postby Bum Crack » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:01 am

Booney wrote:You can buy mine this Saturday at the aution if you like - http://www.myhouserealestate.com.au/property.php?prop_id=275

For $350k or thereabouts - new kitchen,bathroom. Ducted,polished boards, huge detatched party/rumpus/mans room.....

You could have at least mowed the back lawn before the pic was taken :lol:
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 321 times
Been liked: 896 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Booney » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:04 am

Bum Crack wrote:
Booney wrote:You can buy mine this Saturday at the aution if you like - http://www.myhouserealestate.com.au/property.php?prop_id=275

Yeah, none to happy there. Asked the tennant "Pictures being taken this week, does the lawn need mowing? I'll get the gardner to come past"....."Nup, it's fine" she says.... :roll:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7523 times
Been liked: 10829 times

Postby OnSong » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:20 pm

Booney wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:

Yeah, none to happy there. Asked the tennant "Pictures being taken this week, does the lawn need mowing? I'll get the gardner to come past"....."Nup, it's fine" she says.... :roll:

No mention of a back yard Amazon in the house description! :lol: :lol:
There could be natives living in there!
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 533 times
Been liked: 551 times

Postby Pag » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:11 pm

Well we had a crack at the house we fell in love with..... and got outbid.

:(

Got some more time to increase our deposit now...
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby Pag » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:13 pm

And just as I say that, we go out last weekend and find one we fell in love with, and by Tuesday night, it has become ours!!! (subject to building inspection of course)

Paying $5000 more than the first one we tried to get, and the house itself isn't as new and modern, but we have everything we wanted, and in a better location, one that we think will be excellent value for a long, long time.

Thanks for all the info and help guys! Can put up a link to it once it says 'Under Contract'.

:D :D
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby Felch » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:10 pm

Great work Pag, congrats mate.
Felch
Assistant Coach

Grassroots Team: Portland

Buying a House

Postby White Line Fever » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:54 pm

Well done congrats
White Line Fever
League - Top 5

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 16 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:07 am

well done
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Punk Rooster » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:59 am

Pag wrote:And just as I say that, we go out last weekend and find one we fell in love with, and by Tuesday night, it has become ours!!! (subject to building inspection of course)

Paying $5000 more than the first one we tried to get, and the house itself isn't as new and modern, but we have everything we wanted, and in a better location, one that we think will be excellent value for a long, long time.

Thanks for all the info and help guys! Can put up a link to it once it says 'Under Contract'.

Just remember, a Building Inspection is different to a Timber Pest Inspection (termites)- you should get both done.
Ralph Wiggum wrote:That's where I saw the leprechaun. He told me to burn things

Ken Farmer>John Coleman

Hindmarsh Pest Control
Punk Rooster
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 16 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby valleys07 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:41 am

Nice work pag!
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 768 times
Been liked: 1171 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Iron Fist » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:43 am

Punk Rooster wrote:
Pag wrote:And just as I say that, we go out last weekend and find one we fell in love with, and by Tuesday night, it has become ours!!! (subject to building inspection of course)

Just remember, a Building Inspection is different to a Timber Pest Inspection (termites)- you should get both done.

I believe some do that as part of the building inspections.
Still good point though!

Congrats Pag!
get on board the thunder train!!!
Iron Fist
Veteran

Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Portland

Postby Johno6 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:48 am

we just got a building and pest inspection done last week
cost $580 for both, highly reccomend the guy, he was great
did my girlfriends sisters house aswell and she put us onto him.
very good job done.
R.I.P Mum 28/02/12

Asterix Users - Squibs
Johno6
Coach

Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 604 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion