Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Anything!

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Postby HH3 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:45 pm

Do they do table service there?

The only reason I would like someone to come to my table while Im eating is to top up my drink.

I can never eat my lunch in peace, so don't even try interrupting my dinner.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Booney » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:57 pm

No, they don't, but the lady who is in charge always makes a point of asking if it's all good during your meal.

I'll never complain about too much service.... ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7532 times
Been liked: 10839 times

Postby whufc » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:03 pm

Booney wrote:
whufc wrote:
Booney wrote:Prince of Wales : It went to shit for a while, I think they have a new cook and some renewed staff who go out of their way to make sure "Is everything ok?", even in the middle of your meals. Good service.

$10 schnitty's every night with the salad/veg bar included. In all, it's a $10 schnitty so it is what is is, the chicken ones nice and thick and the beef ones hanging off the plate.The veggie bar I'd pay $10 for on it's own, usually about 4-5 hot dishes and 4-5 salads with endless bread rolls.

You'd be hard pressed to get a better feed for $10 in the Port area.

Personal opinion only but cant stand when staff come up to me in the middle of the meal

If there is something wrong ill let you know otherwise leave me to eat my meal and chat to my company.

Yes and no, depends how it's done.

She sort of did a fly by, didn't stop to engage just on her way past with some plates she had collected gave a quick "Everything alright?" and moved on.

Agree and its what can make customer service so hard is that everyone has a different opinion on what 'good' customer service is.

Depending on where i am depends on what i want from my experience.

Normally i go on my lunch break to go get my haircut, i want to sit down relax and have 10-15 mins to sit in silence before i have to go back to work but when i go into a 'sports' store i don't mind having a chat about all the equipment the latest sporting events going on etc etc.

For every me who at a restaurant like to be left alone im sure there is thousands who like staff to come up and see how there going etc etc.

When it comes to restaurants i want
-to be greeted on entry and shown where i can sit
-be able to order without been offered a billion and one extras that i would have asked for if i wanted them
-im not as fussed about waiting times for my food, i generally like to sit and relax and be able to chat away etc etc
-all meals to be brought out together
-be nice to my kids lol
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5620 times
Been liked: 2544 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby bennymacca » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:42 pm

nuggety goodness wrote:Anyone been to Jamies Italian on King William st? Wifey has booked us a table for a couple weeks time...

Yep. Thought it was very good, though probably not worth booking in for ages to go there. Cant complain about the food or prices, but yeah i was maybe slightly underwhelmed too.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby JK » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:13 pm

bennymacca wrote:
nuggety goodness wrote:Anyone been to Jamies Italian on King William st? Wifey has booked us a table for a couple weeks time...

Yep. Thought it was very good, though probably not worth booking in for ages to go there. Cant complain about the food or prices, but yeah i was maybe slightly underwhelmed too.

I thought the food whilst OK, was overrated and it was on the pricey side .. Good atmosphere though and the staff were excellent
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4466 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby White Line Fever » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:34 pm

Did not rate Jamie's kitchen.
Terrible food and menu for 'Italian'
White Line Fever
League - Top 5

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 16 times

Postby HH3 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:49 pm

Checked out the Prince of Wales on Booneys advice.

-2 amazing schittys with mushroom gravy
-Shitloads of buffet and bread roll
-2 Cokes

$28.....

Crazy good value.

The place has a pretty dank dimenour, but the majority of patrons were seniors (my crowd) and once we got past the dankness, its a comfortable no frills place to go for a good cheap meal.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby JK » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:06 pm

Khangs - Situated behind Arndale/Centrelink, it's a mainly Vietnamese restaurant with some of the favourite Thai dishes added to he Menu. Missus and eldest had Laksa's, youngest had Chicken with Rice, and I had the Hot and Spicy Noodles.

Laksa's were brilliant, soup tasted as good as any I can remember. Youngest's meal was nice, but plain, because he's such a fussy little ****er, and the Noodles I had (that really weren't that hot/spicy) were seriously top shelf.

Missus and I had the Fresh Lemon drink (lol Water, with Lemon Juice and Sugar) which oddly kinda worked with our meals and the boys had Mango smoothies that were tasty as ****.

Think it came to about $70, but we brought enough home to get dinner out of it too. It gets packed during the peak meal periods, but either side of that it's not that busy at all. Thoroughly recommend.

Rating: 7.0
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4466 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:01 am

HH3 wrote:Checked out the Prince of Wales on Booneys advice.

-2 Cokes

$28.....

Crazy good value.

The place has a pretty dank dimenour, but the majority of patrons were seniors (my crowd) and once we got past the dankness, its a comfortable no frills place to go for a good cheap meal.

It is 1980 when you walk in there, well, at least most of the grey nomads in there wish it still was! :lol:

While the decor and atmosphere are not worth a cracker you don't actually pay for them.......like you said, $28 for two good feeds and a drink, excellent value.

Rate the veggie bar ok?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby HH3 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:03 am

Booney wrote:
HH3 wrote:Checked out the Prince of Wales on Booneys advice.

-2 Cokes

$28.....

Crazy good value.

It is 1980 when you walk in there, well, at least most of the grey nomads in there wish it still was! :lol:

While the decor and atmosphere are not worth a cracker you don't actually pay for them.......like you said, $28 for two good feeds and a drink, excellent value.

Rate the veggie bar ok?

Yeah, all the favs there, plus some big chunks of roasted sweet potato. A mixed bean salad too.

I was almost stuffed before the huge schnitty came out.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:06 am

Well played then. We probably go there once a fortnight when Mrs Boon finishes work at 6 and we can't be arsed cooking. Can't really go wrong and can't really complain.

I said before, I'd pay $10 for the salad bar and be happy!
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby FlyingHigh » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:44 pm

wristwatcher wrote:Settlers Hotel tonight.

I had the Beef Porterhouse Schnitzel w Mushroom Sauce. Comes with salad in a bowl so as not to mix. I like this touch. Also a bonus point for not feeling the need to put the schnitzels on top of the chips. An all too often occurring serving technique which I assume is designed to trick the near sighted into "biggest schnitzel ever" misconceptions.

The nephew had Chicken Schnitzel with Gravy, chips and salad and smashed it lie a champ and was full of compliments.

Preggo Wristy had the fish and chips and left the plate empty. Good serve and a solid accompaniment of garlic aioli.

We had a booth, I love a booth. The service was polite and friendly and she laughed at my shit jokes. The bread rolls were nice and fresh with room temperature butter. Finally she put the main TV on the Ashes as they bowled the first over and we made a watchful steady start which helped the whole experience. Also a very large restaurant so you are nowhere near other patrons and have plenty of space.

It's 2 for 1 in the ent book so $49 became $33. No salad and veg bar but I don't mind that if it's good food, decent portion and well presented. Sometimes it means they have confidence in the chef to give you value for money without the extras.

Overall 8.5/10 , worth it if you're in the area.

Sunday night.
Good, solid if unspectacular bistro on most counts.
Huge dining area a Greek wedding would be hard pressed to fill, but good because there is a kids play area down one end for families and booths and tables up the other.
They have added a salad bar since which had all the usual suspects.

Cheese bacon bread shared for starters was very good.
Seafood trio (whiting, prawns, calamari) was given good acclaim especially the tenderness of the calamari, as was the Pumpkin and Ricotta Ravioli with chicken. I had 250gm rump medium, which was so-so, bit scraggy, bit overcooked, tasted a bit like a mixed-grill steak. Will given them benefit of the doubt given it was a Sunday evening.
$69 I think, not sure

For what it is trying to be - aimed at families and those who can't be bothered cooking - pretty good. 8/10. Will be back when looking for a feed rather than dining experience.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 176 times

Postby Gozu » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:34 pm

The Good.

Gawler Palace Chinese Restaurant

Once again another outstanding meal and dining experience at the Gawler Palace. It's the cleanest and nicest presenting chinese restaurant I've been to with great customer service. We got the AA banquet for two for $30 each starting with chicken & corn soup which I didn't like at all not being a big fan of corn anyway then came a dim sim and spring roll each. The dim sim was alright but the spring roll was probably the tastiest spring roll I've ever had. Then came the garlic king prawns, honey chicken and a very generous serving of special fried rice all of which were fantastic. I get a Blue Lagoon cocktail each time too which is very nice. A real pleasure coming here.

The Bad.

House of the Red Dragon, Smithfield

I had heard good things about this chinese restaurant but left very disappointed. Customer service was average waiting ages to order drinks and again to order our food. We got sweet & sour chicken, Szechuan prawns and special fried rice. The chicken tasted rubbery and bland and clearly hadn't been cooked in the sauce, the prawns didn't taste fresh and the sauce was essentially very spicy gravy poured on top and the rice was thick and gluggy. Even their Blue Lagoon cocktail wasn't great. We only got through about half the meal before leaving it was that bad. Even had to wait around a bit to pay when leaving. A horrible inauthentic chinese meal and sub par dining experience. Not even offered a complimentary bowl of prawn crackers like the Gawler Palace either.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby whufc » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:47 pm

Gozu wrote:The Good.

Gawler Palace Chinese Restaurant

Once again another outstanding meal and dining experience at the Gawler Palace. It's the cleanest and nicest presenting chinese restaurant I've been to with great customer service. We got the AA banquet for two for $30 each starting with chicken & corn soup which I didn't like at all not being a big fan of corn anyway then came a dim sim and spring roll each. The dim sim was alright but the spring roll was probably the tastiest spring roll I've ever had. Then came the garlic king prawns, honey chicken and a very generous serving of special fried rice all of which were fantastic. I get a Blue Lagoon cocktail each time too which is very nice. A real pleasure coming here.

The Bad.

House of the Red Dragon, Smithfield

I had heard good things about this chinese restaurant but left very disappointed. Customer service was average waiting ages to order drinks and again to order our food. We got sweet & sour chicken, Szechuan prawns and special fried rice. The chicken tasted rubbery and bland and clearly hadn't been cooked in the sauce, the prawns didn't taste fresh and the sauce was essentially very spicy gravy poured on top and the rice was thick and gluggy. Even their Blue Lagoon cocktail wasn't great. We only got through about half the meal before leaving it was that bad. Even had to wait around a bit to pay when leaving. A horrible inauthentic chinese meal and sub par dining experience. Not even offered a complimentary bowl of prawn crackers like the Gawler Palace either.

Try the Queen Bee in Munno Para West much nicer than Red Dragon
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5620 times
Been liked: 2544 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby bennymacca » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:36 am

Not a massive fan of gawler palace myself. The food is just very safe. Without trying to sound rude, to me i think it is a chinese place where people who aren't very adventurous with their tastes go. (I used to go there almost weekly when i was a teenager trying to impress the gf)

Bamboo hut bistro is so much nicer food in gawler, though its not much of a dining experience
bennymacca
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:05 pm

Just went to a new japanese restaurant in salisbury, Moraba.

Looks recently renovated, and they have sunk a ton of money into it. Looks too good to be in Salisbury.

Owned by the same people that own iPho, which is a great little vietnamese place.

Had a beef teriaki thingy and it was really good. Also had a couple of japanese beers that i hadn't had before so that always gets some extra points in my book

Prices were reasonable, $13.80 plus the beer

I would rate an 8/10. Definitely worth going there for lunch if you are in the area

I would rate this 8/10
bennymacca
Coach

Postby HH3 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:07 pm

bennymacca wrote:Just went to a new japanese restaurant in salisbury, Moraba.

Looks recently renovated, and they have sunk a ton of money into it. Looks too good to be in Salisbury.

Owned by the same people that own iPho, which is a great little vietnamese place.

Had a beef teriaki thingy and it was really good. Also had a couple of japanese beers that i hadn't had before so that always gets some extra points in my book

I would rate an 8/10. Definitely worth going there for lunch if you are in the area

I would rate this 8/10

What would you rate it though?
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:16 pm

7/10
bennymacca
Coach

Postby HH3 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:17 pm

16/20
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby Pag » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:27 pm

bennymacca wrote:Just went to a new japanese restaurant in salisbury, Moraba.

I would rate this 8/10

Is this the one in behind Golden Rooster?
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion