Current state of Supercars

Cars, V8 racing, F1 racing, motorbikes, vintage, new, mechanical

Re: Current state of Supercars

Postby locky801 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:01 pm

dedja wrote: the source of the problem, Barry Ryan.

Not sure how he has lasted so long, such an arrogant self centred pig IMO
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3710 times
Been liked: 1170 times

Postby dedja » Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:05 pm

locky801 wrote:
dedja wrote: the source of the problem, Barry Ryan.

Not sure how he has lasted so long, such an arrogant self centred pig IMO

So very true, but Betty loves him, which is so curious because the way he conducts himself is completely opposite to Betty.

She has the cash to bankroll the team, but the busiest job at Erebus at the moment is whoever has to update the Partners page on their website to remove sponsors bailing out.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 996 times

Postby dedja » Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:14 pm

Signwriter at Erebus will be looking for a job soon …

https://speedcafe.com/coca-cola-confirms-erebus-split/

Rumours that the naming rights sponsorship would come to an end have been swirling since news broke of Brodie Kostecki's impending exit from the squad.

That has now been confirmed by Coca-Cola Europacific Partners (CCEP) in a statement provided to Speedcafe.

“After careful consideration, Coca-Cola Europacific Partners has made the difficult decision to end the company's partnership with Erebus Motorsport, effective immediately.

“We wish Erebus Motorsport and the drivers every success for the 2024 season and beyond,” read the statement.

“This decision relates only to our partnership with Erebus Motorsport and does not affect other existing agreements we have with the Australian Supercars Championship and Australian motorsport more broadly.

“We have a long and proud history of supporting Australian motorsport spanning more than 50 years and look forward to building on this through our existing and future partnerships in the sport.”

Coca-Cola, through CCEP, joined Erebus ahead of the 2023 season as the naming rights backer in what was a multi-year deal.

The dissolution of the deal follows confirmation that Shaw and Partners has ended its significant backing of the team, while South Cross Truck Rentals has also pulled out, owner Steve Blackmore explaining that decision to Speedcafe.

In a broader sense, Boost Mobile has suspended negotiations over an extension of its Gold Coast 500 naming rights with Supercars due to the handling of the Kostecki issue.

Kostecki is yet to speak publicly on the matter while the only confirmation from Erebus and Supercars so far has been that he will miss the first round.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Postby dedja » Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:30 pm

https://speedcafe.com/rolands-view-the-kostecki-affair/

Roland’s View: The Kostecki Affair

Roland Dane opines on the biggest issue in Supercars right now, and its impact on the sport more broadly, in this week's Roland's View column.

by Roland Dane 6 February 2024

Leadership – that's the key element that is both at fault and also scarce in the sorry situation that the Supercars category finds itself in on the eve of the 2024 season.

For crying out loud, they're about to kick off without the current Champion Driver whilst also seemingly haemorrhaging high-quality sponsors from the sport. Meanwhile, under the surface, all sorts of stories circulate regarding the reasons why this is happening.

One of the very basic components of good leadership is the ability to self-examine properly on the basis that you can't put something right if you don't admit there's something wrong in the first place.

Today, the sport finds itself with both a team and the category management living in some sort of bubble whilst evidently in denial.

Meanwhile, the fans, the sponsors, the media partners, even the other teams, plus, of course, Brodie deserve to see the 2023 Champion on the grid this year doing what he does best, namely racing.

A team that loses its biggest sponsors overnight is a team in disarray. Let's not deny it. Nobody planned that to happen. So clearly something is deeply wrong. Denial of the issues won't help rectify them.

Sporting teams in other disciplines have had major implosions in the past. This is not new. In fact, it's happened in Supercars several times in the last 15 years. At such points, it's incumbent upon the code management to step in and to help reach resolution. In other words, to show leadership.

I will be as clear as I can be. This is not an issue of mental health, as alluded to by Supercars, at least not on the part of Brodie. This is a case of what appears to be a toxic workplace. Other teams and Supercars have seen evidence of this in the past. For instance, some 18 months ago an email (addressed to pretty much everyone involved in Gen3 development) emanated from the team in question that was so venomous that the CEO of Supercars was obliged to step in and attempt to smooth the waters. But long-term damage was done. That's just one example. There are others.

If a mental health issue is defined as someone being unable to cope with a noxious workplace then maybe I'm wrong. But in my judgement the probability is that any mental health issues lie with those that create such a workplace, not those who find it hard to be a part of it.

And so, the bottom line is that it falls to Supercars to be very proactive in resolving the situation that the category finds itself in right now. That entails leadership of the highest level.

Brodie should be on the grid as soon as possible. If that means a change of team, then make that happen. It's happened in other categories over the years at short notice. There are tools at Supercars' disposal that they can use. Have the guts to use them if necessary and ensure that the best interests of the sport as a whole are upheld.

If changes are needed within a team to keep it viable and in business then help as much as possible, but not at the expense of team personnel who feel uncomfortable there.

Furthermore, high-quality sponsors are hard to come by for motorsport in general and again, if some corporates are uncomfortable in one place, then work to place them elsewhere. Don't lose them to the numerous other opportunities outside the sport that they'll all undoubtedly have.

Never forget that the overall public face of Supercars, and ALL the teams, is at stake here. Over the years, whilst there have been behavioural issues in other codes (such as the NRL), Supercars has stood tall with an excellent public image projected by the teams and drivers. That needs to be maintained. Several substantial sponsors have made the comparison to me over the years and emphasised how it casts our sport in a favourable light.

Ultimately, if a sporting team chooses not to read the tea leaves and make changes as necessary, then it should fold, like any other business that isn't well-run. But not before the category management has tried to assist to sort the problem. In this case, there are surely some positives in there somewhere, given the successes of 2023. It would be great to see them allowed to flourish.

Unfortunately, Supercars management, and the RACE board that ultimately controls the category, show no sign of having the leadership skills in place to handle the Kostecki Affair. And that's a crying shame but also a reflection of the other issues in the category.

With all due respect to The Wiggles, industry-wide mirth greeted the announcement last week that they'd be the pre-event headline act for the Bathurst 500. This is only the latest in a series of own goals by RACE.

I'm in the desert in the UAE as I write this, but I'm not the one with my head in the sand. Ultimately, it's the shareholders of RACE who appear to be in denial. They have the power to make the changes that are needed including, it would seem, to their own board.

I only hope that someone somewhere can show leadership whilst pulling this situation together and putting Brodie onto the grid without further ado. It would be tremendous if that happened even before this column is published and therefore made my words somewhat redundant.
dedja
Coach

Postby dedja » Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:33 pm

Just released by Supercars

https://www.supercars.com/news/an-open- ... -community

An open letter from the Supercars CEO, addressing the recent developments between Brodie Kostecki and Erebus Motorsport

Dear Supercars Community,

I want to address the recent developments between Brodie Kostecki and Erebus Motorsport that resulted in Brodie not racing for the Erebus team at the upcoming Thrifty Bathurst 500. The situation has garnered significant attention and speculation, and I feel it's crucial from a Supercars perspective to provide clarity and context.

I've personally been in confidential dialogue with Brodie both leading into and following the announcement. I've also had extensive discussions about the matter over recent weeks with Erebus Motorsport management, including Barry Ryan and Betty Klimenko. There have been suggestions that Supercars hasn't engaged in these conversations or has taken sides. This is simply incorrect and misleading.

The ongoing nature of this situation, between Brodie Kostecki and Erebus Motorsport which is yet to be resolved, is why none of the parties involved will comment on the matter at this time. We respect the rights of all individual parties, including their discretion to resolve matters in a confidential manner. Efforts are continuing to be made to facilitate and encourage the parties to find a practical and workable solution in the best interests of all stakeholders.

There has been considerable commentary on this matter, and some of it has been disappointing. We urge everyone to approach this situation with understanding, empathy and patience it deserves.

The circumstances at hand are ultimately a matter between the owners and management of Erebus Motorsport and their contracted driver, Brodie Kostecki. Supercars has offered our full support to all parties and will continue to do so.

Racing is a passion that should be enjoyed by everyone, be it as a spectator, volunteer, sponsor, team owner, employee, or driver.

Yours faithfully,

Shane Howard

Chief Executive Officer
dedja
Coach

Postby locky801 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:11 pm

Stories flying around now that Kostecki may be heading to Triple 8, there is a spare licence available for them to have a third car so its a big possibility

Geez big bad Barry will be spewin if that happens
locky801
Coach

Postby dedja » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:33 pm

locky801 wrote:Stories flying around now that Kostecki may be heading to Triple 8, there is a spare licence available for them to have a third car so its a big possibility

Geez big bad Barry will be spewin if that happens

It would all be contingent on Erebus releasing Brodie from his contract with them. Erebus are seemingly refusing to release him, so no go without that.

This is where Supercars need to step in, and fast.

Erebus are carrying on as if nothing has happened. Might work between seasons, but the blowtorch will be on them when the season starts at Bathurst in a couple of weeks.
dedja
Coach

Postby tigerpie » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:36 pm

Didn't know this thread existed.
Not sure where I sit with this Erebus fiasco.
Part of me says, hey kid you just won a championship with a team.
You have a contract and our sponsors want you in the car first race showing off the number 1 against all the sponsors logos. Fair enough.
Another part of me says, Barry Ryan would be a very difficult individual to not punch in the face.

Red Bull or DJR have the car and there's a spare license. Not sure Erebus will release him.
I'm thinking this could end up in court.

On another note, I thought svg was in the main game in nascar.
He's only in 7 races, but predominantly will only race in the infinity series. So he's left supercars to play bgrade.
Sad indictment on where supercars sit right now.
I used to love em. Watched brocky whip the ho in 72 and always watched when on free to air telly. Been to the 500 a bunch of times back in the day but lost it's gloss with me when Holden's shut.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 501 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby heater31 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:04 pm

Looks like the Kostecki seat at Erebus is Todd Hazelwood's for the season as he's dug them out of the shit by bringing a new major Sponsor.

TFH hire will be on the doors of the Erebus Camaros as well as supporting Todd in his Trans Am program ironically in a Mustang! The only clash fir the season will be final round in Adelaide.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby am Bays » Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:14 pm

tigerpie wrote:I used to love em. Watched brocky whip the ho in 72 and always watched when on free to air telly. Been to the 500 a bunch of times back in the day but lost it's gloss with me when Holden's shut.

Ditto

Now its marketed based on drivers not by marque (nods to Peter Wherrett)

Lost me two years ago when the Lion went

Love my Dunnydoor
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby locky801 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:09 pm

heater31 wrote:Looks like the Kostecki seat at Erebus is Todd Hazelwood's for the season as he's dug them out of the shit by bringing a new major Sponsor.

TFH hire will be on the doors of the Erebus Camaros as well as supporting Todd in his Trans Am program ironically in a Mustang! The only clash fir the season will be final round in Adelaide.

Very smart Adelaide lad is that Todd person ;)
locky801
Coach

Postby dedja » Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:19 pm

locky801 wrote:
heater31 wrote:Looks like the Kostecki seat at Erebus is Todd Hazelwood's for the season as he's dug them out of the shit by bringing a new major Sponsor.

Very smart Adelaide lad is that Todd person ;)

That’s because he’s from Athelstone. :lol:
dedja
Coach

Postby locky801 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:58 pm

Interesting interview with Betty and Ryan on Fox

wouldnt talk about the Brodie situation as they cant, used privacy in respect for him

Certainly wont be coming back you would think
locky801
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:05 pm

locky801 wrote:Interesting interview with Betty and Ryan on Fox

wouldnt talk about the Brodie situation as they cant, used privacy in respect for him

I liked her Tshirt! :lol:
(It was on at the pub with no sound so have no idea what was said)
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3894 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby dedja » Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:17 pm

locky801 wrote:Interesting interview with Betty and Ryan on Fox

She has backed him 100%, so there’s no chance of Barry Ryan leaving or being forced out of Erebus. Can’t believe that they’re claiming it’s not in their hands to solve … they can release Brodie from his contract and everyone gets on with their lives.
dedja
Coach

Postby tigerpie » Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:12 pm

So why has he left?
More money?
Did Barry call him a fat plonker and that he needed to lose weight?
What?
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Postby dedja » Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:30 pm

tigerpie wrote:So why has he left?
More money?
What?

BarryRyanF*cktitus
dedja
Coach

Postby tigerpie » Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:47 pm

So why has he left?
More money?
What made him want out so bad?
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Postby dedja » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:08 pm

Are you the pinball wizard? :lol:
dedja
Coach

Postby tigerpie » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:25 pm

dedja wrote:Are you the pinball wizard? :lol:

I was pretty handy on the old Klondike pinny machine yeah.
All valid questions by the way.
Going by the interview Ryan's been called out for being a bully and Brodie's cracked the shits.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Motoring/Motorsport