V8 Super Cars 2013

Cars, V8 racing, F1 racing, motorbikes, vintage, new, mechanical

Re: V8 Super Cars 2013

Postby heater31 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:55 pm

tipper wrote:
heater31 wrote:
HH3 wrote:I apologise kickinit. Ford do not OWN FPR. But Im pretty sure they are their "factory team"...so they get the most sponsorship money and assistance from Ford Australia. Much in the same way Holden Racing Team operate. With Skaifey as the owner, but Holden pumping cash into the outfit.

FPR are owned by Prodrive which also part own FPV with Ford Australia.

serious question, do prodrive still have a share in FPV? i know production of the road cars has moved back to the ford factory and i thought it was because prodrive either went belly up, or were very close to it?

Not according to Wikipedia they are still a joint venture
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby tipper » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:57 pm

HH3 wrote:
heater31 wrote:
HH3 wrote:I apologise kickinit. Ford do not OWN FPR. But Im pretty sure they are their "factory team"...so they get the most sponsorship money and assistance from Ford Australia. Much in the same way Holden Racing Team operate. With Skaifey as the owner, but Holden pumping cash into the outfit.

Ah, well there you go, I was half right ;)

technically i think there is a rule that a manufacturer cant "own" a race team in V8 supercars. its why skaife was able to buy HRT for sfa (and why the got their arse kicked, holden bought the team for and owned it for a couple of weeks till skaife aquired it when the previous owner had cash flow problems), and why kelly racing is the nissan team. nissan are just their major sponsors, not the owners. they are still referred to as factory teams though.
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby HH3 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:58 pm

So Ford do everything they would do if they did own them, but someone elses names on the deed, pretty much?
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby tipper » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:59 pm

heater31 wrote:
tipper wrote:
heater31 wrote:

serious question, do prodrive still have a share in FPV? i know production of the road cars has moved back to the ford factory and i thought it was because prodrive either went belly up, or were very close to it?

Not according to Wikipedia they are still a joint venture

cheers, i wasnt sure of the current arrangement, to be honest i only read the headline, not the whole story about it. i would actually consider getting a FPV GT. i want another 5 litre and they currently come with a supercharger, how could you go wrong!
tipper
League - Top 5

Postby tipper » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:59 pm

HH3 wrote:So Ford do everything they would do if they did own them, but someone elses names on the deed, pretty much?

exactly ;)
tipper
League - Top 5

Postby RustyCage » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:04 pm

tipper wrote:
HH3 wrote:So Ford do everything they would do if they did own them, but someone elses names on the deed, pretty much?

exactly ;)

Same as HRT from day 1. Holden started the team and funded it, but never actually owned it. It was Larry Perkins baby from the start.
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby kickinit » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:07 pm

heater31 wrote:

Pro drive sold FPR there's a link to it on page 6
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby HH3 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:08 pm

kickinit wrote:
heater31 wrote:

Pro drive sold FPR there's a link to it on page 6

Yeah, but we're talking about 2008-2009 when 888 switched sides, not January 2013
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby kickinit » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:12 pm

His wording makes it sound as if they still own it
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby kickinit » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:14 pm

Prodrive also no longer have any dealings with fpv
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby tipper » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:16 pm

pafc1870 wrote:
tipper wrote:

exactly ;)

Same as HRT from day 1. Holden started the team and funded it, but never actually owned it. It was Larry Perkins baby from the start.

and then tom walkinshaw etc

and HDT was very similar before them. although initially started without factory support that soon changed for HDT though.
tipper
League - Top 5

Postby RustyCage » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:18 pm

Prodrive sold FPR to Rod Nash Racing at the start of this year. They no longer have any involvement in the team at all
RustyCage

Postby RustyCage » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:19 pm

tipper wrote:
pafc1870 wrote:
tipper wrote:

exactly ;)

and then tom walkinshaw etc

and HDT was very similar before them. although initially started without factory support that soon changed for HDT though.

Yeah HDT were started out of protest of Holden not wanting to be involved
RustyCage

Postby tipper » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:24 pm

yep, seems holden learnt their lesson though and have continued to support motor racing since. Ford however seem intent on repeating past mistakes and cant make up their mind whether to support it or not. even went so far as to not offer the falcon with a V8 for a while!! (past history i know)

its too bad that in a couple of years both manufacturers will probably no longer have a V8 offering for the road :( ive already started getting the wife used to the idea of us getting a new car, "VF GTS, last of the V8's, she's the ducks guts" lol, although finances might have me "settling" for a GT... (yes i realise the F6 is quicker etc, but i love my V8's, and ive already got another turbo car)
tipper
League - Top 5

Postby RustyCage » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:42 pm

It's a common thing with Ford world wide. The last 10 years they've pulled their support out of a lot of categories around the world, including F1 and the WRC
RustyCage

Postby W.P.U.J.C.Vaas » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:53 pm

in the not too distant future when our beloved v8 rear wheel driven commo & falcon is replaced by front wheel drive units, will V8 supercar still look to use the commodore & falcon platform and just convert them to rear wheel drive for racing purposes? thoughts?
W.P.U.J.C.Vaas
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby kickinit » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:43 pm

There's too many possibilities to what v8 super cars will do in the future. There's too many possibilities what's going to happen to Holden and ford in the future and what type of cars they will be making. To me v8 super cars are now looking at the future and possibly a race without a ford or Holden in it. It would be a very sad day for Australian Motorsport if one of them leaves.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby tipper » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:26 pm

W.P.U.J.C.Vaas wrote:in the not too distant future when our beloved v8 rear wheel driven commo & falcon is replaced by front wheel drive units, will V8 supercar still look to use the commodore & falcon platform and just convert them to rear wheel drive for racing purposes? thoughts?

The current race cars aren't based in the road cars, and actually haven't been for a very long time. If the falcon and commodore are no longer rwd, or even cease to exist, it won't effect the series.

Already we have the Nissan Altima, which on road is a fwd 4cyl. Holden could go yo the cruze and ford the mondeo if needed to keep racing.

personally i am more worried about the V8 Ute racing. you can no longer buy a new XR8 ute, so where can the ford teams get new cars if needed (unlike the supercars, these are based on the road cars, in fact i think they are street legal, or very close to it) i heard rumours on the weekend that they were looking at taking them to a purpose built cahssis also, which to me would lose some of the appeal of the series. but better that than lose it altogether
tipper
League - Top 5

Postby W.P.U.J.C.Vaas » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:56 pm

I personally can see the new commo & falcon being converted to rwd for racing purposes, seeing as they resemble very little already to there production counter parts already as already mentioned.

As for the utes should they move to a control chassis like the supercars then that will certainly kill off most existing teams surely due to running costs, not cheap already- $125,000 to lease a team for a season
W.P.U.J.C.Vaas
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby kickinit » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:01 pm

some of the utes are still road registered vechiles. A couple of years ago one of them had to have work done and they where driving it around the city at night to make sure everything was ok. It does seem to be a worry now that ford are not making a xr8. Could we see it become the holden ute racing.
kickinit
League - Top 5

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Motoring/Motorsport