Type of Holiday travel

Holidays, where, to go, how to get there, travel stories.

Type of Holiday travel

Postby redandblack » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:32 pm

Are you a 'Stay at one spot' traveller or an 'On the move' person.

Relax at a beach or resort, or see as much as you can.

Both?

Are you a favourite spot each holiday person, or it has to be different each year?
redandblack

Re: Type of Holiday travel

Postby JAS » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:37 pm

I like to visit different places but I don't holiday every year as I'd rather save up for a special trip every few years or so.

Never liked the sort of hols where you just lie on a beach or around a pool and the thought of an ocean cruise or Las Vegas/Disney type of trip makes me shudder.

I've done package tours but now prefer to arrange things myself. It doesn't need to cost much more and instead of spending 30 mins here and 30 mins there and back on the bus for the next quick highlight and end up not remembering half of it I like to think less is more and pick my own itinerary of fewer sites that I can spend longer visiting so they're more memorable and have a better chance of meeting the local people and not just those in the tourist industry.

I tend to base myself in a city/town and visit stuff on day trips on foot or local transport as I can't be bothered with constantly packing and unpacking. I also love staying in hotels (but not the stupidly expensive pretentious sort), all part of the adventure of travelling imho, and I don't feel comfortable in other peoples houses or B&B's anyway. I even try and enjoy the hanging around part at the airport as long as it's not because of a delay etc...great for people watching. As far as I'm concerned the holiday starts the minute I set foot outside the front door.

Regards
JAS
You can't be a pirate if you don't have a beard. I said so. MY boat, MY rules.

We haven't got a plank. Just ******* jump

Trust no one The truth is everyone is going to let you down you eventually
JAS
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby devilsadvocate » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:43 pm

I'm an adventure traveller. It always has to be somewhere new and exciting. I love discovering new places and chatting to different people.

I'm also happy to stay in one place for a while if it has aome sort of adventure aspect to it - ie snowboarding, hiking, mountain biking.

Relaxing on a beach is great as a half to 1 day intermission between visiting new sights etc, but 7 days on a beach in Bali? Couldn't think of anything worse. As for relaxing in a resort, why not just save the cost of your OS trips and get a pool put in the backyard?
devilsadvocate
Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:37 pm

it depends on the Holiday - if you're just going up the river or to the islands, I'm pretty happy staying in the one spot.

But if I'm going somewhere new, you'd be silly not to take in the sights and discover as much as you can of it for the time you're there.

You'd never get me on a cruise - not that I don't like boats or get sea sick but the thought of not being able to go home if you don't like it bothers me :lol:
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1741 times
Been liked: 2148 times

Postby AFLflyer » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:57 am

devilsadvocate wrote:I'm an adventure traveller. It always has to be somewhere new and exciting. I love discovering new places and chatting to different people.

I'm also happy to stay in one place for a while if it has aome sort of adventure aspect to it - ie snowboarding, hiking, mountain biking.

Relaxing on a beach is great as a half to 1 day intermission between visiting new sights etc, but 7 days on a beach in Bali? Couldn't think of anything worse. As for relaxing in a resort, why not just save the cost of your OS trips and get a pool put in the backyard?

Devils, i couldnt agree more. Chatting to new people and experiencing different cultures is where it's at for me. Throw in some out door action, camping, trekking etc. im in.
yep love the beach, can't stand the resort way though. Anything but a resort holiday!
AFLflyer
League - Best 21

Been liked: 3 times

Postby Q. » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:35 am

I like the idea of being flexible with time and itinerary. If you stumble across somewhere amazing you can just stay a week and if you want to make spur of the moment changes you can.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby best on hill » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:38 am

for me its camper trailer on the back of 4wd and just head off or relaxing at a beach shack and putting the boat in the water.
COWELL FOOTBALL CLUB est.1901
premiers 1902,04,07,22,24,26,27,28,31,32,34,37,38,39,46,50,52,53,54,55,58,59,69(cowell north),96,99,2006,07,09
oldest club on E.P.!
best on hill
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Cowell

Postby Dirko » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:44 am

My type of Holiday has changed as I've gotten older, married and kids.

I've done the trekking holidays through Europe and Asia, and love that sort of trip. With the onset of kids it makes it a tad harder especially as the kids are young to pack and move etc, so now we tend to go for the more "Beach Resort" sort of Holiday. We always make a effort to get out and about and eat on the streets etc, but now tend to stay at the one place.

Once the kids get older, then we'll go back to the more wandering holiday again, but for the mean time "Beach Holidays" are the go. Mind you my 8 year old daughter has been overseas 5 times already which is more then some adults do in their lifetime....
The joy of being on the hill drinking beer cannot be understated
Dirko
Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby AFLflyer » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:46 am

SJABC wrote:My type of Holiday has changed as I've gotten older, married and kids.

I've done the trekking holidays through Europe and Asia, and love that sort of trip. With the onset of kids it makes it a tad harder especially as the kids are young to pack and move etc, so now we tend to go for the more "Beach Resort" sort of Holiday. We always make a effort to get out and about and eat on the streets etc, but now tend to stay at the one place.

Once the kids get older, then we'll go back to the more wandering holiday again, but for the mean time "Beach Holidays" are the go. Mind you my 8 year old daughter has been overseas 5 times already which is more then some adults do in their lifetime....

5 times - thats unreal. off to a 'flying' start :D
AFLflyer
League - Best 21

Been liked: 3 times

Board index   General Talk  Travel