Bali/Phuket

Holidays, where, to go, how to get there, travel stories.

Re: Bali/Phuket

Postby Lunchcutter » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:30 pm

I took my Ma to Phuket in the third week of March this year. The weather was good, didn't cop a lot of rain and iirc it cost us $1700 each for 9 nights in Puket, flights direct to Singapore from Adelaide with Singapore Air with breakfast daily at the Patong Merlin. We had a great time. Ma would go shopping from when the sun went down and would catch up with me at one of the Bars across from the Hardrock around 10 each night. I would order some food at the bar which would arrive on a motorbike and would drink from 7 - 12 or sometimes 1 for a total cost of about $40 bucks per night. Mum would sometimes drop her goodies off at the bar and then go find a tuk tuk to do more shopping, while I'd stay at the bar playing the bar games with the lovely lady bar staff :) I didnt shop alot, we went on a few tours, saw FANTASEA and it cost me about 1,300 I'd say (and that's with a few duty free goodies too)... Mum on the other hand, went boonta in the shops buying up big for everyone and reckon she would have spend close to 2 and a half. We ate alot at the Hotel but did try a couple of other hotels 1 street back from the beach which were great and usually had live music playing. Im going back in March next year and can't wait ! Gonna pick me up some nice leather goods this time :D and visit that massive shopping centre in Phuket city specially for the cheap shoes and genuine brand name handbags :D
RIP my DH 1964 - 2009 - You were one of the best and I miss you
Lunchcutter
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby AFLflyer » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:04 am

All you Phuket lovers, can you explain why you don't stay on Phi Phi Island? Its only a 50min ferry ride away. There are some awesome resorts there right on the beach. You can snorkel right off the beach, the water is 10x nicer, its quieter, much easir to do day trips from etc.
AFLflyer
League - Best 21

Been liked: 3 times

Postby Wedgie » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:44 am

AFLflyer wrote:All you Phuket lovers, can you explain why you don't stay on Phi Phi Island? Its only a 50min ferry ride away. There are some awesome resorts there right on the beach. You can snorkel right off the beach, the water is 10x nicer, its quieter, much easir to do day trips from etc.

It's about 2 hours by speed boat (would be half a day by ferry) and is much further away from most of the attractions of the area than Phuket. The place mainly visited there is the beach where they filmed 'The Beach' which while beautiful is lined from one end to the other with boats, horrendously packed.
I'd never stay at Phi Phi and I doubt I'll even visit it in Jan.
I love the Phang Na area so would consider Krabi if not going to Phuket.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2063 times
Been liked: 3920 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Wedgie » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:56 am

pompy wrote:Cheers Wedgie.
I'll have a look at that place. Would be interested to see some of your pics.
Is there plenty of restaurants/bars/shopping around the kata area?
We don't want to be too far away from the 'action' but dont want to be kept up till 5 in the morning either hearing clubs/music etc. We are also heading to Krabi on this trip so will be doing a fair but of R&R there.
Any tips on day trips? Must do's?
We were recommended some 4* places too in phuket by travel agent. The Centara Karon Resort, Horizon Karon Resort and Banthai Resort in Patong. Do u know anything about these places?

Plenty of bars, restaurants and markets in both Kata and Karon. The 2 Karon beach places you mentioned sounded good but aren't on the beach which is what appealed to us about the place we stayed at Kata. Kata has the nicer beach too.
Banthai is in the middle of Patong so I personally wouldn't consider it unless you're after a sleezy time.

As for things to do, here's plenty. I've done Fantasea but it was meh.
I'm going to try he water park up north this time around.
Most of my day trips would be to the Phang Na area, I love it. White water rafting, ATVs, monkey caves and elephant rides if you go inland and sea kayaking and swimming if you do the bay, the canoe trips into the Hongs are great and I'm going to try a night version of one of these in Jan.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Wedgie » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:58 am

Oh and a special mention. DO NOT HIRE A JET SKI anywhere in Thailand, nasty scams abound everywhere!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby pompy » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:35 am

Wedgie wrote:
pompy wrote:Cheers Wedgie.
I'll have a look at that place. Would be interested to see some of your pics.
Is there plenty of restaurants/bars/shopping around the kata area?
We don't want to be too far away from the 'action' but dont want to be kept up till 5 in the morning either hearing clubs/music etc. We are also heading to Krabi on this trip so will be doing a fair but of R&R there.
Any tips on day trips? Must do's?
We were recommended some 4* places too in phuket by travel agent. The Centara Karon Resort, Horizon Karon Resort and Banthai Resort in Patong. Do u know anything about these places?

Plenty of bars, restaurants and markets in both Kata and Karon. The 2 Karon beach places you mentioned sounded good but aren't on the beach which is what appealed to us about the place we stayed at Kata. Kata has the nicer beach too.
Banthai is in the middle of Patong so I personally wouldn't consider it unless you're after a sleezy time.

As for things to do, here's plenty. I've done Fantasea but it was meh.
I'm going to try he water park up north this time around.
Most of my day trips would be to the Phang Na area, I love it. White water rafting, ATVs, monkey caves and elephant rides if you go inland and sea kayaking and swimming if you do the bay, the canoe trips into the Hongs are great and I'm going to try a night version of one of these in Jan.

Thanks heaps for the tips - Fantasea sounded a bit ordinary to me also - a very toursity look at Thai culture? I too would prob prefer a place on the beach too and looks like i'll give the Banthai (Pationg) a miss - is there any other recommended places to stay on the beach in Kata/Karon or even Kamala?
pompy
Under 16s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 13 times

Postby Wedgie » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:50 am

Have a look at the tripadvisor website, I've found it a great help.

Another place I tried to get in on one of the northern beaches was the Laguna Sheraton.
In the end I went for the Indigo Pearl as it's close to the airport and close to the water park and quieter beaches an sounds very swish.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby AFLflyer » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:41 pm

Wedgie wrote:
AFLflyer wrote:All you Phuket lovers, can you explain why you don't stay on Phi Phi Island? Its only a 50min ferry ride away. There are some awesome resorts there right on the beach. You can snorkel right off the beach, the water is 10x nicer, its quieter, much easir to do day trips from etc.

It's about 2 hours by speed boat (would be half a day by ferry) and is much further away from most of the attractions of the area than Phuket. The place mainly visited there is the beach where they filmed 'The Beach' which while beautiful is lined from one end to the other with boats, horrendously packed.

sorry its about 3 hours, just checked.

depends what your into i guess. If it's quiet bars and restaurants, cheap buckets, pristine blue water beaches, rainforrest, scuba and snorkelling and chilling. Phi Phi is for you. If it's harrassment, annoying aussies and sex bars, Phuket may be for you. Well that's what Patong is like. Maybe i need to explre the rest of Phuket next time.

been to Krabi too and prefer it over Phuket, prefer samui over both.
AFLflyer
League - Best 21

Postby Wedgie » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:31 pm

AFLflyer wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

sorry its about 3 hours, just checked.

depends what your into i guess. If it's quiet bars and restaurants, cheap buckets, pristine blue water beaches, rainforrest, scuba and snorkelling and chilling. Phi Phi is for you. If it's harrassment, annoying aussies and sex bars, Phuket may be for you. Well that's what Patong is like. Maybe i need to explre the rest of Phuket next time.

been to Krabi too and prefer it over Phuket, prefer samui over both.

Judging Phuket on Patong would be like judging the SANFL on South Adelaide.
If you're talking about Phi Phi compared solely with Patong I'd agree with you. Much prefer other parts of Phuket and Phang Na though.
Mind you I'd prefer the Port Broughton caravan park to Patong too! :lol:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Q. » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:55 am

pompy wrote:Thanks heaps for the tips - Fantasea sounded a bit ordinary to me also - a very toursity look at Thai culture?

Maybe look outside Phuket for even a glimpse at Thai culture ;) :lol:

I can recommend wandering the lanes and alleys of Bangkok for starters!
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby The Ash Man » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:13 am

Quichey wrote:
pompy wrote:Thanks heaps for the tips - Fantasea sounded a bit ordinary to me also - a very toursity look at Thai culture?

Agreed. Bangkok is sensational
The Ash Man
Coach

Has liked: 382 times
Been liked: 260 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Q. » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:33 pm

The Ash Man wrote:
Quichey wrote:

Agreed. Bangkok is sensational

Have decided to hang out here for the next week before I fly home. Going to attempt to scratch it's surface!
Q.
Coach

Postby piccachu » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:46 am

just doing some research, i am going to Thailand in october next year for a friends Wedding, i have never been overseas before so have no idea what i should be looking for along with that i have no idea about Thailan whats good and bad and were things are located, from what i have heard im getting the impression i dont want to be staying any were less than 4 stars, had a quick read through this thread and it seems no one rates patong but my dilema is thats were the wedding is (or so i have been told) im pretty keen on staying close to there as it will be convenient but looking for something clean really would like a swim up bar :D
any one got any help for me
Were has Marbles gone and who is Satchel
piccachu
League - Top 5

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Portland

Postby Drop Bear » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:11 am

piccachu wrote:just doing some research, i am going to Thailand in october next year for a friends Wedding, i have never been overseas before so have no idea what i should be looking for along with that i have no idea about Thailan whats good and bad and were things are located, from what i have heard im getting the impression i dont want to be staying any were less than 4 stars, had a quick read through this thread and it seems no one rates patong but my dilema is thats were the wedding is (or so i have been told) im pretty keen on staying close to there as it will be convenient but looking for something clean really would like a swim up bar :D

I stayed in a resort about a 10 minute walk from Patong Beach that had a swim up bar but can't remember the name sorry! The resorts are normally nice and clean, it's just the streets that are a bit of a rabble. Don't stress too much mate. Just do your research. Phuket is definately worth a look!
1. M Hayden.
Drop Bear
League - Top 5

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Wedgie » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:17 am

Katas a $4 taxi fare from Patong and Karons even closer, we always look at a swim up bar as a necessity too. ;)
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:23 am

Wedgie wrote:Have a look at the tripadvisor website, I've found it a great help.

Another place I tried to get in on one of the northern beaches was the Laguna Sheraton.
In the end I went for the Indigo Pearl as it's close to the airport and close to the water park and quieter beaches an sounds very swish.

We stay at the Sheraton Grande Laguna on Bang Tao Bay every couple of years - you can get 10 nights for the cost of 5 deals bringing the cost down to just over AUD100 per night

Then, eat at the restaurants on the beach - cheap and good food

Phi Phi Island is OK for a visit - the waves can get a bit big there though....
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 728 times
Been liked: 1088 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby piccachu » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:40 am

Like i said i know absolutly nothing about the place, hear good things about Phi Phi island, were heading over for about 10-14 days so might look at heading there for a day or so, not overly interested in to many of the touristythings like Zoos and sight seeing, more interested in spending my time and hopefully little money on getting as intoxicated as possible.
Were has Marbles gone and who is Satchel
piccachu
League - Top 5

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Portland

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:44 am

piccachu wrote:Like i said i know absolutly nothing about the place, hear good things about Phi Phi island, were heading over for about 10-14 days so might look at heading there for a day or so, not overly interested in to many of the touristythings like Zoos and sight seeing, more interested in spending my time and hopefully little money on getting as intoxicated as possible.

Bangkok, Pattaya or Patong for you then
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 728 times
Been liked: 1088 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby AFLflyer » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:31 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
piccachu wrote:Like i said i know absolutly nothing about the place, hear good things about Phi Phi island, were heading over for about 10-14 days so might look at heading there for a day or so, not overly interested in to many of the touristythings like Zoos and sight seeing, more interested in spending my time and hopefully little money on getting as intoxicated as possible.

Bangkok, Pattaya or Patong for you then

buckets for you then, the worlds easiest way to get smashed.
AFLflyer
League - Best 21

Postby Q. » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:03 pm

piccachu wrote:just doing some research, i am going to Thailand in october next year for a friends Wedding, i have never been overseas before so have no idea what i should be looking for along with that i have no idea about Thailan whats good and bad and were things are located, from what i have heard im getting the impression i dont want to be staying any were less than 4 stars, had a quick read through this thread and it seems no one rates patong but my dilema is thats were the wedding is (or so i have been told) im pretty keen on staying close to there as it will be convenient but looking for something clean really would like a swim up bar :D

At Patong, Baumanburi Hotel has a huge pool area with a 'swim up bar' (stayed there for footy trip, real nice place). Close to all the action, especially the market area, and a cheap tuk-tuk (if you can't arsed walking) to Soi Bangla which is a road full of bars, buckets, drugs, hookers, lady-boys and all-round debauchery.

In Bangkok, stay on or near Th. Khao San, heaps of pubs and clubs partying late into every night. Way, way, way less hassle from touts, vendors and tuk-tuk drivers compared to Patong. The booze and food is cheaper than Patong, and the t-shirts, clothes and souvenirs are of better quality than Patong. If you're really after a ping-pong show or something of such variety, then a tuk-tuk will take you to the Patpong Night Market for about 150 Baht, while there you can also get fake designer watches, designer bags and really good quality soccer tops. Plenty of places to stay that have rooftop pools.
Q.
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Travel