Bucket List Trips/Holidays

Holidays, where, to go, how to get there, travel stories.

Postby Corona Man » Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:59 pm

Being perhaps, one of the older members of this site, I have started to consider what my "Bucket List" travel destinations are. All going to plan, I have around 5 years of work left. Wife will probably work on for a few more years though. Looking forward to becoming a "kept man"....

So far I have 2 trips in mind. England & Europe. Then the USA. I want to do England & Europe while I am still working. Take a 5/6 week break. The USA can wait until I have retired.

So 2027 is the year for the UK/Europe trip. Take in an Ashes test match, British Open golf, before heading over the mainland Europe. Paris & Rome are certainties. If time allows I'd like to go the Switzerland.

2030 will be the USA Trip. LA, San Fran, Vegas (maybe) then up to Vancouver. Wouldn't mind taking in a PGA event, perhaps a baseball game. We would go in the Northern Summer, so no chance of an NFL game. I'm not into Basketball. Like to see Florida & perhaps Dallas.

The plan after that will be to scale travel back to closer places - Asia, New Zealand, and within Australia.

Anyone else have bucket list travel plans?
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1279 times
Been liked: 3488 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Re: Bucket List Trips/Holidays

Postby bertiebeatle1 » Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:10 pm

Corona Man wrote:Being perhaps, one of the older members of this site, I have started to consider what my "Bucket List" travel destinations are. All going to plan, I have around 5 years of work left. Wife will probably work on for a few more years though. Looking forward to becoming a "kept man"....

So far I have 2 trips in mind. England & Europe. Then the USA. I want to do England & Europe while I am still working. Take a 5/6 week break. The USA can wait until I have retired.

So 2027 is the year for the UK/Europe trip. Take in an Ashes test match, British Open golf, before heading over the mainland Europe. Paris & Rome are certainties. If time allows I'd like to go the Switzerland.

2030 will be the USA Trip. LA, San Fran, Vegas (maybe) then up to Vancouver. Wouldn't mind taking in a PGA event, perhaps a baseball game. We would go in the Northern Summer, so no chance of an NFL game. I'm not into Basketball. Like to see Florida & perhaps Dallas.

The plan after that will be to scale travel back to closer places - Asia, New Zealand, and within Australia.

Anyone else have bucket list travel plans?

On the US, doesn't matter on age or whether you like to drink or not, would recommend Vegas to anyone even for a couple of days.
Worth a drive up to Santa Barbara from LA & going along that coastal route, some very nice towns & would love to live in that area. Had dinner in Ventura on the way to back LA & was the best meal of my trip
bertiebeatle1

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 12 times

Postby Booney » Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:13 pm

Mrs Boon and I both turn 50 next year, she has a desire to see her Greek homeland and I do with my Welsh heritage however I'm shit on a plane so there's no way I'm doing the 14 hours from Adelaide to Dubai etc so we've hatched a plan to execute by the time we are 55.

Adelaide to Singapore and have 1-2 days there then Singapore to Dubai etc and have a day there then onto Amsterdam. That way the flights are no more than the 8 or so hours I can cope with. We can then cross over to the UK, back over the ditch to cover Europe and the Mediterranean before hopping back home. 6-8 weeks at best.

We've done a few Bali and Thailand trips, I want to get back to NZ with her ( been over for work ) at some stage and we're nearly locked in for Vietnam next year with some mates.

I have no desire for the US at all. I don't run fast enough to outrun bullets.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7497 times
Been liked: 10784 times

Postby Corona Man » Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:37 pm

Booney wrote:Mrs Boon and I both turn 50 next year, she has a desire to see her Greek homeland and I do with my Welsh heritage however I'm shit on a plane so there's no way I'm doing the 14 hours from Adelaide to Dubai etc so we've hatched a plan to execute by the time we are 55.

Adelaide to Singapore and have 1-2 days there then Singapore to Dubai etc and have a day there then onto Amsterdam. That way the flights are no more than the 8 or so hours I can cope with. We can then cross over to the UK, back over the ditch to cover Europe and the Mediterranean before hopping back home. 6-8 weeks at best.

We've done a few Bali and Thailand trips, I want to get back to NZ with her ( been over for work ) at some stage and we're nearly locked in for Vietnam next year with some mates.

I'd rather get the plane ride over & done with in 1 hit. Understand what you are saying, but it's the extra time in airports, in and out of hotels. Stuff that. I've done the Melb to LA flight before 14 odd hours. Eat, drink, watch a movie, read a book, walk around the cabin, have another drink. Will do Business Class most likely - better wine, better food, and a bed.

I've been to NZ a heap of times with work, so same there, like to take my wife there for a look.

We will probably do Bali in the next couple of years. I actually made the suggestion to the entire family on Christmas day, only to be gazzumped by news of a baby on the way......so back burner it goes.

In terms of the bullets...... I think I only need to be faster than the average Joe Yanky....... backing myself in, in that race!
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1279 times
Been liked: 3488 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby FlyingHigh » Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:46 pm

Would love to go to Africa again. Tanzania, South Africa, Namibia.

The US to see a couple NFL games, Nashville and perhaps through some of the lesser states across the north and centre. No real desire to go to the major cities in California, Florida, New York, Texas etc

England and Ireland to see the Ashes, Gaelic football, a West End show, see if I can find Dibley.

Germany for the family heritage.

Sri Lanka is the one Asian/Indian country I'd like to go to.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby Wedgie » Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:25 pm

I'm already saving up for my Nov/Dec trip in 2026 to the US specifically to Philladelphia for December 6 which is "Rocky" day and will be the 50th anniversary of when the original Rocky came out. To be on those steps Rocky ran up in Philly will be something very special to me.
Many NFL, NCAAF and NBA games will be fit in too. West Coast US doesn't interest me though so will just do a short stop over at Las Vegas as its cheaper than flying to Philly or closeby in one hit.
I'm thinking 20-30k to do it right.
Meanwhile I'll keep the missus happy with some cruises and trips around the nation in the meantime, going to Papua New Guinea in October which will be something different. Also planning a trip to remote NT (near Borroloola) to return my Dad's ashes to our mob's land but that probably won't cost me. Both kids want to come on that.
Maybe a trip to England one day to meet some of the wife's family but that's not that high on the agenda as she tells me England is a shithole. :lol:
Down the track I'd also like to do an Austria/Germany/Scandinavia and maybe at least one more to SE Asia.
After that this little black duck might just buy a Winnebago and head off into the sunset with wifey.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2051 times
Been liked: 3895 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Wedgie » Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:28 pm

Booney wrote:Mrs Boon and I both turn 50 next year, she has a desire to see her Greek homeland and I do with my Welsh heritage however I'm shit on a plane so there's no way I'm doing the 14 hours from Adelaide to Dubai etc so we've hatched a plan to execute by the time we are 55.

Missus raves about Greece, she used to holiday there every year. Still one of her favourite spots in the world especially the islands.
I won't tell you her opinion about Wales though! :lol:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2051 times
Been liked: 3895 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Jim05 » Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:48 pm

Ticked off another bucket list item in the last few weeks with crossing the Arctic circle and going as far North on land as possible. This was our 6th trip to Europe and have seen a fair bit of it and love it so will be back in the next year or two.
Still have an African safari on my list aswell as an extensive South American trip. I have no real desire to go to the US but likely to visit briefly next year as it’s my 50th and I’m planning on doing trip to the Caribbean when we play the Windies. Get to a couple of tests and see some sights.
We are lucky that I’m in the aviation sector and also very good at playing the points game so we always fly business or first class and the majority is done with points. The most recent trip to Europe was in Business all the way with points flights across various airlines with Qatar Airlines Doha to Adelaide being the obvious standout
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3553 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:42 pm

Jim05 wrote:Ticked off another bucket list item in the last few weeks with crossing the Arctic circle and going as far North on land as possible. This was our 6th trip to Europe and have seen a fair bit of it and love it so will be back in the next year or two.
Still have an African safari on my list aswell as an extensive South American trip. I have no real desire to go to the US but likely to visit briefly next year as it’s my 50th and I’m planning on doing trip to the Caribbean when we play the Windies. Get to a couple of tests and see some sights.
We are lucky that I’m in the aviation sector and also very good at playing the points game so we always fly business or first class and the majority is done with points. The most recent trip to Europe was in Business all the way with points flights across various airlines with Qatar Airlines Doha to Adelaide being the obvious standout

How many countries have you visited In those trips? You're always jet-setting to get away from essendons woes :lol:
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11855 times
Been liked: 3602 times

Postby Jim05 » Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:37 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Ticked off another bucket list item in the last few weeks with crossing the Arctic circle and going as far North on land as possible. This was our 6th trip to Europe and have seen a fair bit of it and love it so will be back in the next year or two.

How many countries have you visited In those trips? You're always jet-setting to get away from essendons woes :lol:
The one we just got back from we flew into Paris and spent a couple of days there before flying to Norway. Spent most of our trip in Norway but also had a day in London before flying to Prague for a few days and then travelled by train through Switzerland again. We flew from Geneva to Dubai and had a couple of days just out of town at Ajman and then had a few days in Doha before flying home. Last trip I hired a car at Frankfurt and spent 4 weeks driving through Germany, Poland, Austria, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Slovenia, Croatia and Hungary and then flew to the UK and grabbed another car for 2 weeks and drove through England, Scotland and Wales. On other trips we have spent a couple weeks in all of Switzerland, France, Italy, Belgium and Holland. We went to the soccer World Cup in Germany in 2006 and spent just under 8 weeks in Europe and visited France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, Austria, Switzerland, Italy and England. This was the 5th time we have been to Paris and London.
As a rule we try to do 2x 2 week holidays in Asia every year and every second year we try to do a 4-6 week European trip although this year we have done the Euro trip and will squeeze a quick 7-10 day trip to Asia in. We have visited most countries in Asia multiple times
And yes, quite often we are away at finals time as I know Essendon won’t be involved ;)
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3553 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Mic » Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:53 pm

Antarctica, but I don't think I'll ever go.
Mic
League - Top 5

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 144 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:28 pm

Jim05 wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:

The one we just got back from we flew into Paris and spent a couple of days there before flying to Norway. Spent most of our trip in Norway but also had a day in London before flying to Prague for a few days and then travelled by train through Switzerland again. We flew from Geneva to Dubai and had a couple of days just out of town at Ajman and then had a few days in Doha before flying home. Last trip I hired a car at Frankfurt and spent 4 weeks driving through Germany, Poland, Austria, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Slovenia, Croatia and Hungary and then flew to the UK and grabbed another car for 2 weeks and drove through England, Scotland and Wales. On other trips we have spent a couple weeks in all of Switzerland, France, Italy, Belgium and Holland. We went to the soccer World Cup in Germany in 2006 and spent just under 8 weeks in Europe and visited France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, Austria, Switzerland, Italy and England. This was the 5th time we have been to Paris and London.
As a rule we try to do 2x 2 week holidays in Asia every year and every second year we try to do a 4-6 week European trip although this year we have done the Euro trip and will squeeze a quick 7-10 day trip to Asia in. We have visited most countries in Asia multiple times
And yes, quite often we are away at finals time as I know Essendon won’t be involved ;)

That's a decent travel catalogue. Impressive.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11855 times
Been liked: 3602 times

Postby Pag » Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:27 pm

I've visited 25 countries in my life so far (I'm 35), some I'd love to get back to and some I'm happy with only seeing once.

In terms of trips I'm planning on getting in at some stage in the future:

Southern (Memphis, Nashville, New Orleans etc) and North-eastern US (Philly, Boston etc). NYC is my favourite place in the world so far and would make sure I stop in again.
Western Canada/Rockies/Alaska.
Have done a safari in South Africa, would love to do the same in Kenya/Botswana at some stage.
Caribbean for an Aus cricket tour.
Ashes in the UK.
Norway/Finland/Lapland.
Brazil/Argentina.
Vietnam/Thailand/Malaysia/Hong Kong.
Need to get to the new Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in London so will be there again at some stage as well.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby Footy Chick » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:45 pm

My one and only overseas holiday (and my 50th present to myself, even though that was last year) will be to Antartica.

Just have to wait for my cat to die first.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Board index   General Talk  Travel