Waterskiing

Any other sports

Waterskiing

by maxyoz » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:06 am

Howdy all.

Any other budding waterskiing enthusiasts out there. The problem lately has been that with the water so low, finding somewhere decent to go for day trips is getting more and more difficult. The boat ramps are terrible and anywhere semi-decent is packed.

We used to go above lock 1 a fair bit, but living near Glenelg, we are looking at a 2 1/2 hour drive just to get there.

We were fans of Mypolonga and Long Island - but the ramps there are pooh and Long Island is packed, and now with the river slowed to 4 knots near the Marina, almost useless.

Where do you guys go??

I know, it's like a good fishing spot, nobody likes to give away their secret location.
Punk Rooster wrote:I can't believe that a topic that is quite clearly trolling has elicited a 3 page response....
maxyoz
Under 18s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 36 times
Grassroots Team: Kimba Districts

Re: Waterskiing

by MagicKiwi » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:17 pm

Bow Hill.
Red (and White)
Red (Backs)
All (Blacks)
MagicKiwi
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Broadview

by devilsadvocate » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:38 pm

I'm a massive waterskiing/wakeboarding enthusiast.

We have a shack at Purnong/Cournamont and it's almost always possible to find some nice glass with the protection of cliffs on each side of the river depending on which way the wind is blowing.

The boat ramp at Cournamont SUCKS though and is closed. We got our Landcruiser stuck in the mud pulling the boat in from the beach before Christmas. So now we do the trek to/from Bow Hill, where their ramp is sexual.

I've also been up to Blanchetown a bit recently - about 10kms upstream from Lock 1. Awesome, awesome spot. We had our best ever day skiing on the 13th of feb. Perfect flat glass, nice temp, beautiful water temp, good deep water by the bank and a kick-ass roast on the webber afterwards with a carton of Coopers Clear to wash it down.

Anyhoo, if I were you, I'd go to Bow Hill to put the boat in. Lock the car up and ski upstream, where there are a few banks to pull up and ski in peace.
devilsadvocate
Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 0 time

by Bum Crack » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:43 pm

devilsadvocate wrote:I'm a massive waterskiing/wakeboarding enthusiast.

We have a shack at Purnong/Cournamont and it's almost always possible to find some nice glass with the protection of cliffs on each side of the river depending on which way the wind is blowing.

The boat ramp at Cournamont SUCKS though and is closed. We got our Landcruiser stuck in the mud pulling the boat in from the beach before Christmas. So now we do the trek to/from Bow Hill, where their ramp is sexual.

I've also been up to Blanchetown a bit recently - about 10kms upstream from Lock 1. Awesome, awesome spot. We had our best ever day skiing on the 13th of feb. Perfect flat glass, nice temp, beautiful water temp, good deep water by the bank and a kick-ass roast on the webber afterwards with a carton of Coopers Clear to wash it down.

Anyhoo, if I were you, I'd go to Bow Hill to put the boat in. Lock the car up and ski upstream, where there are a few banks to pull up and ski in peace.

Coopers Clear??? You have got to be kidding? You wakeboard enthusiasts are easily pleased :shock:
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 321 times
Been liked: 894 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

by maxyoz » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:13 pm

We rented a shack at Bow Hill a few weekends ago, and yes, the water was great and the boat ramp is the best I have seen anywhere in a long time.

We did a day trip to Thiele Reserve at Murray Bridge yesterday, negotiated the Boat Ramp ok, but the place was packed - and I have never seen so many jet skis congregated in the one place before. I thought maybe some motorbike gang was having a day on the water.

Anyway, family had fun, I got a couple of skis in early - was up there at 7.30am - and then I smashed my side when I had a big wakeboard stack, still hurts today. Tried to have a kneeboard later in the day, but after about 5 minutes, the pain was too much - I'm getting soft.

Sad reality for me is that now with footy back into almost full swing, I probably won't get a chance to ski again until October.
Punk Rooster wrote:I can't believe that a topic that is quite clearly trolling has elicited a 3 page response....
maxyoz
Under 18s

by devilsadvocate » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:17 pm

Bum Crack wrote:Coopers Clear??? You have got to be kidding? You wakeboard enthusiasts are easily pleased :shock:

It's a bloody good easy drinking lager after a warm day in the sun.

Don't worry, after about 18, the Bundy Red came out.
devilsadvocate
Coach

by devilsadvocate » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:19 pm

maxyoz wrote:Sad reality for me is that now with footy back into almost full swing, I probably won't get a chance to ski again until October.

Easy way to fix that mate.

Wakeboarding/Skiing >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Footy.

Even when it's 4 degrees in July. 7am glass on a frosty morning is worth it. You know you won't have a thousand others boats and jetknobs to contend with either!
devilsadvocate
Coach

by maxyoz » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:35 pm

devilsadvocate wrote:Even when it's 4 degrees in July. 7am glass on a frosty morning is worth it. You know you won't have a thousand others boats and jetknobs to contend with either!

I used to love skiing on a flat, fresh winters day. Come back to a nice campfire and something warm to drink - Scotch works a treat.
maxyoz
Under 18s

by devilsadvocate » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:42 pm

maxyoz wrote:
devilsadvocate wrote:Even when it's 4 degrees in July. 7am glass on a frosty morning is worth it. You know you won't have a thousand others boats and jetknobs to contend with either!

I used to love skiing on a flat, fresh winters day. Come back to a nice campfire and something warm to drink - Scotch works a treat.

Totally agree, but Port's my winter warmer of choice. It sucks getting in initially, but the fire after and a nip or 20 of port and it's play on.
devilsadvocate
Coach

Board index   Other Sports  Other Sports