Pro Wrestling Talk

Any other sports

Re: Pro Wrestling Talk

Postby test » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:36 pm

wristwatcher wrote:Bret was my favourite wrestler. Probably enhanced my love for it as well as the final v Benoit. The scariest man I have ever met.

Same here, can't remember the tournament at all I was just glad Bret finally got the belt.

Scary in an intense way? Where and when did you meet him?
test
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 31 times
Grassroots Team: Wallaroo

Postby wristwatcher » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:53 pm

test wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:Bret was my favourite wrestler. Probably enhanced my love for it as well as the final v Benoit. The scariest man I have ever met.

Same here, can't remember the tournament at all I was just glad Bret finally got the belt.

The most genuinely intense human I ever had an interaction with.

Thebarton theatre maybe 93 I was 18 years old and centre ringside for Benoit v Jushin "Thunder" Liger which is still to this day the best match I have ever seen live. I can't remember the exact move but Liger hit maybe a moonsault on Benoit from top rope to the floor and he was selling big time face down against the guard rail right in front of me. He had just been released from his first very brief WCW stint to do the world tour. Me and my mates were huge Liger fans and he had even been playing up to us as we marked out for everything he did. I leaned down and said to him "Couldn't cut it in WCW hey Chris"....big f@cken mistake.
He broke character and snapped his head sideways at 642km an hour and gave me a rage filled glare of hate sitting up slightly. He didn't say a word he just held the stare and our heads were only a couple of feet apart. I tried to be cool but I believe I physically dirtied my pantaloons. After what felt like an eternity but was probably 3-4 seconds he returned to character and continued selling the move. My mates and I were pretty speechless but we looked at each other and one of them said"F@ck me, I thought he was going to kill you". We agreed we had never seen anything like it and never had since. I have seen hundreds of times the mad glare, the angry stare and the crazy eyes but this was real. He was a man who had an evil streak and was as tough and mean as any to enter the squared circle and he was one of the great all time workers. At the conclusion of the match we stood and applauded when he left in defeat. His work was sublime, his intensity of the page and I was glad he had not killed me. Obviously the rest is history and he met with a sad and tragic ending but I can't say I was all that surprised.

Wrestlers are most successful when they live their gimmick and it was on that night I truly learnt to appreciate what "Silent but violent" was a very real part of the late great Chris Benoit. RIP Crippler
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 852 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:40 pm

His ending wasn't sad and tragic. It was only sad and tragic for his family!
His career means nothing anymore! Disgrace...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3039 times
Been liked: 2407 times

Postby wristwatcher » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:58 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:His ending wasn't sad and tragic. It was only sad and tragic for his family!

Stupid post. It was sad and tragic for everyone involved.

His career is his career. What happened was terrible but it doesn't change the fact he is one of the great all time workers. Based on the above Gary Ablett had no career and is a disgrace.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:36 pm

wristwatcher wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:His ending wasn't sad and tragic. It was only sad and tragic for his family!

His career is his career. What happened was terrible but it doesn't change the fact he is one of the great all time workers. Based on the above Gary Ablett had no career and is a disgrace.

No sympathy for him... Anyone affected by it I certainly have sympathy for.

One of the great workers and I was a HUGE fan, but HE ruined that with his actions
.Gary Ablett didn't murder anyone... No comparison
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby test » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:13 pm

wristwatcher wrote:
test wrote:

Thebarton theatre maybe 93 I was 18 years old and centre ringside for Benoit v Jushin "Thunder" Liger which is still to this day the best match I have ever seen live. I can't remember the exact move but Liger hit maybe a moonsault on Benoit from top rope to the floor and he was selling big time face down against the guard rail right in front of me. He had just been released from his first very brief WCW stint to do the world tour. Me and my mates were huge Liger fans and he had even been playing up to us as we marked out for everything he did. I leaned down and said to him "Couldn't cut it in WCW hey Chris"....big f@cken mistake.
He broke character and snapped his head sideways at 642km an hour and gave me a rage filled glare of hate sitting up slightly. He didn't say a word he just held the stare and our heads were only a couple of feet apart. I tried to be cool but I believe I physically dirtied my pantaloons. After what felt like an eternity but was probably 3-4 seconds he returned to character and continued selling the move. My mates and I were pretty speechless but we looked at each other and one of them said"F@ck me, I thought he was going to kill you". We agreed we had never seen anything like it and never had since. I have seen hundreds of times the mad glare, the angry stare and the crazy eyes but this was real. He was a man who had an evil streak and was as tough and mean as any to enter the squared circle and he was one of the great all time workers. At the conclusion of the match we stood and applauded when he left in defeat. His work was sublime, his intensity of the page and I was glad he had not killed me. Obviously the rest is history and he met with a sad and tragic ending but I can't say I was all that surprised.

Wrestlers are most successful when they live their gimmick and it was on that night I truly learnt to appreciate what "Silent but violent" was a very real part of the late great Chris Benoit. RIP Crippler

Thanks for sharing that, what a match up to watch in Adelaide!
test
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 31 times
Grassroots Team: Wallaroo

Postby wristwatcher » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:15 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:

No sympathy for him... Anyone affected by it I certainly have sympathy for.

One of the great workers and I was a HUGE fan, but HE ruined that with his actions
.Gary Ablett didn't murder anyone... No comparison

Fair enough. Have to agree to disagree on this one mate.

Either way he is dead and certainly tarnished that much I agree with. I would like to think as little as 9 years later with all the support networks, beyond blue and wellness program's an incident like that will never happen again.
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby wristwatcher » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:20 pm

test wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:
test wrote:

Yep the craziest 25 minutes of wrestling I will ever see. The same card featured Jake the Snake, Jim "the Anvil" Neidhart and the late great JYD.
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby Mic » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:08 pm

wristwatcher wrote:
test wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:
test wrote:

Yep the craziest 25 minutes of wrestling I will ever see. The same card featured Jake the Snake, Jim "the Anvil" Neidhart and the late great JYD.

I was devastated that I was unable to attend that show (went away that weekend). However, I made up for it 15 years later by attending over 20 shows in the US and Japan in 2008. :D
Mic
League - Top 5

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 145 times

Postby wristwatcher » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:55 am

I have always loved Japanese wrestling 8) Pure, stiff and I love the crowds.

What stars did you see work in Japan. So many brilliant workers over there and even a lot of the US guys really come into their own when they are allowed to work a wrestling style that would get booed or boring chants in America.
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby Bully » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:29 am

unsure if its been mentioned yet, and cant be stuffed going through pages of posts but Seth is out for 6 months.

Interesting what they will do for the WWE title .
Bully
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 120 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:48 pm

Bully wrote:unsure if its been mentioned yet, and cant be stuffed going through pages of posts but Seth is out for 6 months.

Interesting what they will do for the WWE title .

tournament at SS...
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby wristwatcher » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:26 pm

Huge Raw tomorrow and in a perfect world the start of a 32 man tournament.

Either way we will get a look at the creative direction they are taking.

My very early tip is still Reigns to win with a heel turn. Survivor Series has traditionally been their controversial PPV where they take risks as if they don't work they are easy enough to fix at Rumble.
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby wristwatcher » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:23 pm

Good Raw. Some good tournament matches.

Looks like an all ex shield final to me making the turn have more spice.

Callisto in the 16 man tournament is nothing short of hilarious :lol:
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby JK » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:08 pm

wristwatcher wrote:
test wrote:

LMAO thats funny as ****!! (Benoit's real life ending aside of course)
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4466 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby wristwatcher » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:06 pm

Place your Imaginary bets gents....

Reigns 2/1
Ambrose 3/1
Del Rio 5/1
Owens 8/1
Cesaro 10/1
Ziggler 10/1
Barratt 20/1
Stardust 25/1
Ryback 25/1
Neville 50/1
Callisto 250/1
An unlisted entrant 25/1

Screw job finish 15/10
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby wristwatcher » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:09 pm

wristwatcher wrote:Place your Imaginary bets gents....

Reigns 2/1
Ambrose 3/1
Del Rio 5/1
Owens 8/1
Cesaro 10/1
Ziggler 10/1
Barratt 20/1
Stardust 25/1
Ryback 25/1
Neville 50/1
Callisto 250/1
An unlisted entrant 25/1

Screw job finish 15/10

Every poster get 100 Wristy credits. Let's see who gets rich.
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby Mic » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:23 pm

wristwatcher wrote:I have always loved Japanese wrestling 8) Pure, stiff and I love the crowds.

What stars did you see work in Japan. So many brilliant workers over there and even a lot of the US guys really come into their own when they are allowed to work a wrestling style that would get booed or boring chants in America.

That's a long answer, including Great Muta, Mitsuharu Misawa, Jishin Liger, Shinjiro Otani, Masato Tanaka, Dump Matsumoto, Manami Toyota, Noamichi Marafuji, Yoshihiro Tajiri, Atsushi Onia, Leatherface (although he's not Japanese), Kota Ibashi, Yoshihiro Takayama, Togi Makabe, Hiroshi Tanahashi, Go Shiozaki, KENTA, Koji Kanemoto, Yuji Nagata, Kazuchika Okada, Satoshi Kojima, Shinsuke Nakamura, Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Dick Togo, Taka Michinoku, and Dragon Gate guys like BXB Hulk, Shingo and Cima. Non-Japanese guys I've seen in Japan are Davey Richards, Sami Zayn (El Generico), Raven, Tracey Smothers, RVD, Jeff Hardy, Finn Balor (Prince Devitt) Beer Money, Kenny Omega, Giant Bernard and Karl Anderson.
Mic
League - Top 5

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 145 times

Postby mighty hounds » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:58 pm

wristwatcher wrote:

Reigns 2/1
Ambrose 3/1
Del Rio 5/1
Owens 8/1
Cesaro 10/1
Ziggler 10/1
Barratt 20/1
Stardust 25/1
Ryback 25/1
Neville 50/1
Callisto 250/1
An unlisted entrant 25/1

Screw job finish 15/10

I'll put $8.33 on everyone :lol:
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 286 times

Postby wristwatcher » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:39 pm

mighty hounds wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:

Reigns 2/1
Ambrose 3/1
Del Rio 5/1
Owens 8/1
Cesaro 10/1
Ziggler 10/1
Barratt 20/1
Stardust 25/1
Ryback 25/1
Neville 50/1
Callisto 250/1
An unlisted entrant 25/1

Screw job finish 15/10

I'll put $8.33 on everyone :lol:

By my calculations you would be turning your 100 Wristy $ into $16.66
wristwatcher
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Other Sports