Gaelic Football in South Australia

Any other sports

Re: Gaelic Football in South Australia

Postby the milky bar kid » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:35 pm

wristwatcher wrote:MBK - Also good thought provoking post however you hit the nail on the head in the first 4 words.

I've already gathered a couple of supporters for this approach :shock:
the milky bar kid
League - Best 21

Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 238 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Look Good In Leather » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:48 pm

Is there anything holding us to Australasia? Why don't we just become a standalone comp?
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby wristwatcher » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:45 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:Is there anything holding us to Australasia? Why don't we just become a standalone comp?

Excellent post. I shall address this one after dinner and go into detail of NATGAFA. Norm and Toms Gaelic Athletic Football Assosiation was an idea discussed At first in jest by Norm and I and ultimately in genuine seriousness post us both applying for the head job of Australasia.

Neither of us got the head job that weekend in Sydney but we had a good time trying and learnt a lot including attending my first National congress with all the famous stalwarts of Gaelic Footy in this country. It was also at this job interview on my panel was "Ned with the bleeding head".

We wouldn't be eligible to compete at the Nationals is the short answer and we would have the opportunity to pay exorbitant affiliation and registration fees.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby Flinders O'Neills » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:26 pm

St Brendans into the final, West will play Port next week......

My thoughts on the comp:

Location sucks for my team, a central location or a North option would be great, split the games between both locations? would hopefully open the comp up to new teams, Gawler etc are massively developing areas and only die hard's are going to make the drive from up North down to St Marys.

Have the mens team all play back to back..to back? you get the point, for the most part Womens games hold little interest for the mens teams...

Start the season straight after the nationals, one main season before xmas, maybe finals after, I strongly believe if we had a shorter season before xams the strength of the comp would be much stronger, most SANFL and top level soccer players find it hard to commit after Christmas, State league should be built to be the strongest comp possible. After the main season have sevens start after xmas and have them play on weekends? FA cup style comp ? hold a county style championship (ulster, munster etc), I would like to see a more social aspect incorporated after the main season, where winning was still important but the social atmosphere was also as important.

Quality players in the State league can only lead to a stronger state team.

Prizemoney for winning the state league?

I wont bag anyone who puts their hand up to be on the committee as I have seen first hand keeping everyone in gaelic football happy is impossible, lots of people with strong views.
Flinders O'Neills

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Look Good In Leather » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:54 pm

wristwatcher wrote:
Look Good In Leather wrote:Is there anything holding us to Australasia? Why don't we just become a standalone comp?

We wouldn't be eligible to compete at the Nationals is the short answer and we would have the opportunity to pay exorbitant affiliation and registration fees.

The Nationals are treated as a joke by our state though. We are hardly competitive, the teams are made up of people who are just willing to pay the money to go for a holiday. 2 Years ago we didn't even bother sending a men's team. Now it is our turn to host it, we don't bother - so this is hardly an argument for remaining affiliated.

As for the apparent exorbitant affiliation and rego fees, insurance is the usual scare tactic used by governing bodies to avoid the issue. There are numerous sports out there that are smaller organisations than the GFHAA that manage to find an insurer willing to cover them for personal accident and tragedy insurance at an affordable level. There is no reason why we would not be able to find something similar, plus there is already money in the bank anyway.

If the regulations enforced on us by the GFHAA are stifling our ability to grow the game in the state, surely resolving that issue is of a higher priority than an annual junket for a few people.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby wristwatcher » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:12 am

I just read that the Troyvelution took its first big step. Congrats on your first Final win. Awesome for the lads after years of work.

Not bad for a club that was told it needed to merge this year.

Does anyone have any match details. Score, best players. A description of the post match :)
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby G_Leonard » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:35 pm

wristwatcher wrote:I just read that the Troyvelution took its first big step. Congrats on your first Final win. Awesome for the lads after years of work.

Does anyone have any match details. Score, best players. A description of the post match :)

I thought that was your job
G_Leonard
Mini-League

Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Sedan-Cambrai

Postby wristwatcher » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:13 pm

G_Leonard wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:I just read that the Troyvelution took its first big step. Congrats on your first Final win. Awesome for the lads after years of work.

Hard to review something you didn't see.

Also just FYI I get paid the big bucks for my reviews. I'm sure the Port boys will get a little air time on Saturday Gameday in April. Some big names lined up for 2015.
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby G_Leonard » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:26 pm

wristwatcher wrote:
G_Leonard wrote:

Also just FYI I get paid the big bucks for my reviews. I'm sure the Port boys will get a little air time on Saturday Gameday in April. Some big names lined up for 2015.

I was referring to the description of the post match which you kindly provided for the Port side a few weeks back.

Western Ireland would count themselves unlucky to have lost Fri night I'd say, they were up 2.2 to 0.0 after the first five minutes of the game and looked in complete control.
I was also surprised Port were able t get up over Onkas after Onkas started the game with a lot more composure. A strong second half by port helped them to claim the win.
WI looking quite strong with classy older players as well as talented young guns. Gallagher is a class above.
G_Leonard
Mini-League

Grassroots Team: Sedan-Cambrai

Postby HH3 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:21 am

G_Leonard wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:
G_Leonard wrote:

I was referring to the description of the post match which you kindly provided for the Port side a few weeks back.

Western Ireland would count themselves unlucky to have lost Fri night I'd say, they were up 2.2 to 0.0 after the first five minutes of the game and looked in complete control.
I was also surprised Port were able t get up over Onkas after Onkas started the game with a lot more composure. A strong second half by port helped them to claim the win.
WI looking quite strong with classy older players as well as talented young guns. Gallagher is a class above.

I disagree. Port were running all over Onkas in the first half. The only thing that stopped Port being 6 points up at the half was silly attempts at unders instead of taking the easy overs.

Port were also up at half time.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Cheese Twisties » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:20 pm

Western Ireland over Port pretty comfortabley yesterday, so into the grand final against St Brendans.

Onkas narrowly over Flinders in the girls, setting up another grand final against Irish Blues.

Looking forward to grand final day on Sunday! I see there is a DJ kicking off from 8pm.... surely the DJ will be Butters? :supz:
Gaelic Football - Funny name, SERIOUS GAME!
http://www.gaelicfootballsa.com.au/
Cheese Twisties
Under 18s

Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby valleys07 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:47 pm

Cheese Twisties wrote:Onkas narrowly over Flinders in the girls, setting up another grand final against Irish Blues.

Heartbreaking result for the Flinders girls, 1 point from a GF.

A remarkable turnaround from where the team was 3 years ago and everyone involved should be extremely proud of themselves.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 768 times
Been liked: 1171 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby the milky bar kid » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:50 am

Have the St Brendan's lads partied all the way thru to St Patrick's day?
the milky bar kid
League - Best 21

Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 238 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Cheese Twisties » Tue May 19, 2015 12:27 pm

The dates for the 2015 Australasian Games in all football, hurling and camogie codes have been confirmed as Wednesday 30 September to Saturday 3 October. Games will be played in Hutt Valley/Wellington. Nominations of teams are due to the Wellington Secretary by 30 June along with the first stage payment.

The Secretary is Shona Roche and her email address is secretary@wellingtongaa.com Have a look on the Wellington GAA Facebook page to see a short video promo for the games.

For those who are unaware, the next World Games will be held in Dublin in 2016. It is expected that there will be teams from North America, New York, South America, Canada, Europe, Middle East, South Africa plus other areas taking part with the finals to be held in Croke Park. The association intends to have teams representing Australasia in all codes in the 2016 competition. I can advise at this stage that one of the criteria for selection in the teams from here will be that a player must have taken part in the 2015 Australasian Games in Wellington.

This should act as a great incentive to ensure players make their State team for Wellington.
Cheese Twisties
Under 18s

Postby wristwatcher » Mon May 25, 2015 6:57 pm

Cheese Twisties wrote:The dates for the 2015 Australasian Games in all football, hurling and camogie codes have been confirmed as Wednesday 30 September to Saturday 3 October. Games will be played in Hutt Valley/Wellington. Nominations of teams are due to the Wellington Secretary by 30 June along with the first stage payment.

The Secretary is Shona Roche and her email address is secretary@wellingtongaa.com Have a look on the Wellington GAA Facebook page to see a short video promo for the games.

For those who are unaware, the next World Games will be held in Dublin in 2016. It is expected that there will be teams from North America, New York, South America, Canada, Europe, Middle East, South Africa plus other areas taking part with the finals to be held in Croke Park. The association intends to have teams representing Australasia in all codes in the 2016 competition. I can advise at this stage that one of the criteria for selection in the teams from here will be that a player must have taken part in the 2015 Australasian Games in Wellington.

This should act as a great incentive to ensure players make their State team for Wellington.

GFs on Saturday October 3rd. At least it doesn't clash with any other Football event :roll:
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby wristwatcher » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:15 pm

I'm hearing good things about some of the ideas and changes in the planning by the new El Presidente.

A couple of them is independent umpires and a full time/casually employed person at St.Marys.

I reckon both of these are very good initiatives. Good to see some pro-active thinking.

About bloody time we took some of the six figure bank balance we have accumulated and put it back into the game and spent some of it on venue, facilities, training and standard improvements.

Would be nice to offer some initiatives to lure some new clubs or extra support to get teams to make the jump from Social 7s to State League.

Well done Steven and the committee on making some much over due changes to a very stagnant competition.

Possibly a couple of other very very big changes to also take place all going well if what I'm hearing is true.
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby Cheese Twisties » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:10 am

With the 2015/2016 Gaelic season just around the corner, how are all the clubs looking?

St Brendans have lost a few Irishmen (including our inspirational coach Irish Jim) who have moved over to Sydney. Also looking at losing a few regulars to long term OS holidays through out the season. We had a heap of players play in the state championships in windy Wellington, so at least a few of us should be ready to go come round 1.

On the state championships, well done to both SA teams and well done to the organisers including Butters, Soxxy, Toasty, Ken Brophy, Andy Malone, and everyone else! Was a top week.
Cheese Twisties
Under 18s

Postby wristwatcher » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:54 pm

Cheese Twisties wrote:With the 2015/2016 Gaelic season just around the corner, how are all the clubs looking?

St Brendans have lost a few Irishmen (including our inspirational coach Irish Jim) who have moved over to Sydney. Also looking at losing a few regulars to long term OS holidays through out the season. We had a heap of players play in the state championships in windy Wellington, so at least a few of us should be ready to go come round 1.

On the state championships, well done to both SA teams and well done to the organisers including Butters, Soxxy, Toasty, Ken Brophy, Andy Malone, and everyone else! Was a top week.

Will be a very new looking Finn Squad. The turnover from the 30 man squad when I coached 2 seasons ago to just 5 players returning last year has meant a huge transition and re-build. Coach O'Rielly has been recruiting heavily again and I would expect another dozen new players from last year. I think our best will still be very good but a lot of new players will take time to assimilate to the subtle nuances of Gaelic.

Looking forward to round 1 where Na Fianna take on arch rivals Flinders in Christian Neesons first game as senior coach of the Reds. A collection of its a fair to say legends of the game in this State will be in attendance watching and keen to see the influence and progression I expect under new President Toast. Looking forward to some exciting changes made in the off season as the committee from all reports have made a pro-active approach to improving our comp and potentially luring new clubs and teams.

It's great to hear we are now paying someone to be in a caretaker, bar person, official capacity. You need to speculate to accumulate. First job is to stack the bar with ice cold SuperDry for the 23rd :D
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby wristwatcher » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:40 am

If anyone is interested I am going to do the Gaelic tipping comp again to hopefully get a bit of positive discussion happening about the games and hopefully some previews and reviews. My work no longer permits me to hold any official role as it is listed as a conflict of interest. Yes the Gaelic State league may very well unravel the 2.5 billion dollar TV deal :roll: So I will be an interested spectator this season and hoping to see some good quality Gaelic over the Spring and Summer.

Tipping Competition prizes
1st - $50 bar voucher to St.Marys - Pending the President approval :D If not I will by you beers at the Hannigan Cup final.
2nd - A selection of the confiscated items that Minor footballers have stolen at Australasian championships between 2000 and 2013
3rd - One of my 14 Grand Final referee medals

Rules
2 points for correct team
1 bonus point for correct margin in 5 point increments eg. 1-5, 6-10, 11-15, 16+
Additional bonus point for a perfect round. So maximum score in round is 10
Tips are due in prior to the first game of the round
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby wristwatcher » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:43 am

Na Fianna v Flinders. Finns 1-5
Onkas v Port. Onkas 1-5
St.Brendans v Irish. Taints 6-10

Fair bit of guess work in that lot.
wristwatcher
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Other Sports