Burnley Season 2009 / 2010

EPL, FA Cup, Carling Cup, The Championship, etc

Burnley Season 2009 / 2010

Postby johntheclaret » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:05 am

Well there just had to be one didn't there ;)

Here's something i didn't know, but it just goes to show that Man U were stealing young players long before Beckam joined them ;)

Saw this snippet in amounst a story about the upcoming game between the Clarets and The Cats

Bruce returns to the club who rejected him as a schoolboy this weekend as he looks to build on Sunderland's steady start to the new sesaon.

The former Manchester United captain revealed former boss Joe Brown allowed him to leave Burnley as a teenager, but eventually recommended him to Sir Alex Ferguson.
Bruce said: `He sacked me, but the funny thing is that he was chief scout at Manchester United and took me to Old Trafford.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... z0ROyryQRa
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Re: Burnley Season 2009 / 2010

Postby devilsadvocate » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:08 am

Up the Clarets! 3-1 over Sunderland with 2 goals to former Preston boy Nugent.

Nugent could turn out to be a shrewd signing if he gets regular game time for the Clarets. He proved in the CCC that he can score a lot of goals.
devilsadvocate
Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 0 time

Postby smithy » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:22 am

LIverpool reject ! ;)
smithy

Postby johntheclaret » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:29 am

devilsadvocate wrote:Up the Clarets! 3-1 over Sunderland with 2 goals to former Preston boy Nugent.

Nugent could turn out to be a shrewd signing if he gets regular game time for the Clarets. He proved in the CCC that he can score a lot of goals.

Spot on DA. you can tell from the interviews he's given this week, especially today, how much he wants to stick it up Pompey. We have to play him from the start though. Fletcher is completely out of his depth imo, and at £3m our record signing could be going the way of two previous record signings in Ian Moore and the Fat Shearer.

Clarets lucky to be on level terms at half time. but Eagles and Nugent completely turned the game imo. Nice to get the 3 points and score more than one.

What topped it off for me though was the little $6.00 I had on Grezza to score the 1st goal at 16/1 :D
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby Bully » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:13 am

nice win by burnley
Bully
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 120 times

Postby johntheclaret » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:14 am

Bulldog wrote:nice win by burnley

Terrible 1st half but they made up for it in the 2nd. Nugent after only 30 mins of football is a hero.
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby devilsadvocate » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:51 pm

johntheclaret wrote:What topped it off for me though was the little $6.00 I had on Grezza to score the 1st goal at 16/1 :D

I had my quids on him to score first when I was up for the Preston game.

He's a good option given the penalty taking duties, especially at 16/1!
devilsadvocate
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:09 pm

Nice win JTC ;)
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby johntheclaret » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:01 am

glad to hear this, after his stunning introduction on Saturday

NUGENT EYES PERMANENT DEAL

David Nugent is targeting a permanent move to Burnley after his brilliant home debut.
Nugent came off the bench to score a tremendous double which gave The Clarets a 3-1 win over Sunderland. Nugent is currently on loan until January, but the 24-year-old is looking for a more permanent move. "Everybody makes mistakes and I definitely made a mistake moving down south," the former Preston man said. "I hardly played and when I did I was used as a winger rather than a striker. I am here until January and there is an option to extend the loan. Hopefully I can make it permanent."

Portsmouth paid nearly £6million for Nugent, and that is the problem. come January will burnley bite the bullet and come up with the fee. I doubt pompey will want or get the £6m they paid, but much of what he is worth will depend on how weel he does for the Clarets and how long he has left on his contract. A year or less, and he might attract attention from a club with more $$$ to offer than burnley and we might end up reserecting his career for someone else :evil:
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby devilsadvocate » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:23 pm

White Hart Lane next up for the Clarets JTC. Are you making the trip? It's a good time to be playing Spurs really. No Modric, King doubful, Bassong doubtful, Woodgate doubtful, Dawson out.

No CB's and our best player not playing. I'm a touch concerned to be honest. :(
devilsadvocate
Coach

Postby Bully » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:43 pm

devilsadvocate wrote:White Hart Lane next up for the Clarets JTC. Are you making the trip? It's a good time to be playing Spurs really. No Modric, King doubful, Bassong doubtful, Woodgate doubtful, Dawson out.

just keep them injured for the north london derby ;)
Bully
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:53 am

devilsadvocate wrote:White Hart Lane next up for the Clarets JTC. Are you making the trip? It's a good time to be playing Spurs really. No Modric, King doubful, Bassong doubtful, Woodgate doubtful, Dawson out.

We did plan to go down DA. you know how much I enjoy the London games, but we have to cover for some staff holidays this week, so Rita has told me we can't go. Bloody work :twisted:

Will have to settle for Barnsley tomorrow night instead :roll:
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:22 am

PATERSON BLOW FOR BURNLEY

Burnley striker Martin Paterson has been ruled out for up to three months after undergoing knee surgery.

The Northern Ireland international suffered cartilage damage in Tuesday's 3-2 Carling Cup loss to Barnsley which necessitated an operation.
And after going under the knife Paterson, 22, will likely be unavailable for Owen Coyle until around Christmas, coming as a further blow after midfielder Chris McCann was ruled out for a similar period earlier this week.

Makes Coyles decision easier to play Nugent on Saturday.

On a wider point, these are the things that can spell disaster for teams like the Clarets. Losing two key players for 3 months for a club that has so little depth in the fisrt place is a blow.
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby devilsadvocate » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:47 am

Devastating blow for the clarets. I also hear that the Beast is out for a few weeks too?

I agree with what you've said above JTC about this being a crippling blow for a club like the Clarets who have relatively little depth, but looking at the positives, at least the Clarets have a resonable number of points on the board already.
devilsadvocate
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:24 am

According to reports around here, Jensen is a good chance to be fit for Spurs. bloody hope so.
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:24 am

I have to post this, I just can't help myself. I'm sat here lookiing at the EPL table and it feels like I'm looking at a history book. Burnley are just 4 points of the top four and only 3 points behind Liverpool who have played the same number of games.

OK, so we are just about a 1/4 of the way through but no one in the media seem to be looking at who we have had to play so far. Burnley have had by far the toughest opening draw of the three new boys and considering we came up from being 5th in the champoinship, our start has been great.

Like I said to Rita, there will be lot better teams go to Anfield and Stamford Bridge and lose, ask Liverpool today, and Hull last week. But we have played Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs away, and Man U and Everton at home and they are 5 tough games for anyone, and we have come out of it with 12 points so far. Our demolition of Sunderland and Birmingham (don't be misguided by the 2 - 1 scoreline, the clarets mopped the floor with Birmingham yesterday) and it is looking ok for us.

We have the b4stards away in a fortnight, followed by 2 home games against Wigan and Hull, so we have a real chance of keeping the good form going and maybe even break the awayday duck. And as for our "poor" away form, just look at the fixtures, Stoke won 13 games and drew 4 last season. thats only two defeats all year, then we had to go to 2nd place Liverpool, yeah like they aren't much kop (pardon the pun) at home. Then away to league leaders Chelsea, who went how many years unbeaten at home?, and finally to Spurs, who are currently in 3rd and spent more on reserve striker Peter Crouch than Burnley have spent on thier entire squad.

But on a brighter side, we still have to travel to the likes of Wolves, Birmingham, Hull, Bolton etc, wher I hope we can put in a better show.

We have already overhauled Derby's total points for thier season so that mantle is out of the way (sorry Jabber). It really is like living the dream. Yesterday was bloody awesome, bloody awesome, we just tore Birmingham apart and whilst Hart made a mistake with Burnleys first goal, he pulled of some bloody good saves to keep Birmingham in it. Fantastic.
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby The Jack » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:52 am

John, how's the build up to the big derby match with the b4st4rds coming along? Vinnie Grella was on Fox Sports FC the other night talking it up.
The Jack
Under 18s

Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 18 times
Grassroots Team: Hummocks-Watchman

Postby johntheclaret » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:47 pm

1st top flight game between the two for 40 years Jack
The local press are having a field day with special articles everyday

I think it will mean more to the clarets and Coyle will have his work cut out keeping the lads focussed. B4st4rds only allocated 2300 tickets and the only way you can get one is to buy a coach ticket too. Everyone is leaving by convoy from Turf Moor and if you don't arrive on one of the buses you won't get in.

Police making it a high profile match so hopefully it will go off without a hitch and we can all get to watch the football

From a match point of view, I'm crapping it. I just hope we don't bottle it and end up getting hammered.
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby Bully » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:42 am

but how big is it tho? i mean is it like Liverpool v Man yoo hype? or Rangers v celtic? or is it like a london derby?
Bully
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:31 am

Bigger and nastier bully

If you compare it to whufc v millwall and then double it. You can't go to this game unless you arrive on one of the official club buses. The whole of Blackburn will me a no go area and the motorway will be closed and road blocked

In order of importance
1 beating b4st4rds
2 winning the champions league
3 winning the epl title
4 winning the FCC play offs
johntheclaret
Coach

Next

Board index   Other Sports  Soccer  English Soccer