Thu 10, 7:30 PM Newcastle Jets FC EnergyAustralia Stadium
mickey
Coach

Has liked: 142 times
Been liked: 314 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Re: Perth Glory 2010/2011

Postby mickey » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:16 pm

Perth Glory has continued its positive pre season form with a hard fought 2-1 win over Football West Premier League side Armadale FC at Alfred Skeet Reserve.

Second half goals from Branko Jelic and Jamie Harnwell sealed the victory after Jason Goodwin had given the home side the lead on 19 minutes.

Perth Glory coach Dave Mitchell said he was pleased with the hit-out only four days after his squad returned from a camp in China.

http://www.perthglory.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=34257
mickey
Coach

Postby mickey » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:08 pm

Perth Glory is delighted to announce that Rugby League legend Benny Elias has been appointed to the board of the club.

Elias, played 234 games for Balmain and starred in 22 State of Origin games for New South Wales and in 14 internationals for Australia.

In 2005, Elias was named one of the 25 greatest ever NSW players.

New Perth Glory board member Benny Elias
Perth Glory Chairman Tony Sage said Elias will add a wealth of experience to the club.

“Benny Elias brings a winning culture and attitude to Perth Glory. Also he gives Glory a strong presence on the East Coast”

“He has strong business credentials and board experience and this will compliment the directors we currently have,” Sage said.
mickey
Coach

Postby mickey » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:15 pm

Perth Glory may be without recruits Josh Mitchell and Michael Baird for Friday night's opening round clash with North Queensland as both players struggle to get a clearance from their previous club.

Both striker Baird and defender Mitchell previously played for Universitatea Craiova in Romania last season, along with Central Coast recruit Joshua Rose.

The trio opted to move away after a pay dispute with Craiova but Baird has said the club opted to punish the trio for leaving by delaying their clearances to play in Australia.
mickey
Coach

Postby mickey » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:04 pm

Demand for tickets and a membership mailing hold-up has forced Perth Glory to take additional measures to prevent fans from being delayed as they enter nib Stadium on Friday night.

Glory anticipate a crowd of up to 17,000 will roll up to the former ME Bank Stadium to attend the club's opening fixture of the new season against North Queensland Fury.
mickey
Coach

Postby mickey » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:06 am

Perth Glory owner and Chairman Tony Sage has lauded the record A-League crowd that turned out for the clubs first Hyundai A-League appearance for season 2010/11, believing it more than justified the significant investment he has made in the club he brought back from the brink of extinction just over three seasons ago.

"When I took over ownership of the Glory three season ago I knew we had a long way to go to get back to the glory days of the NSL, when Perth Glory were the best in the league and well supported by the people of Western Australia," Mr Sage said.

http://www.perthglory.com.au/default.as ... y&id=34579
mickey
Coach

Postby Sam_goUUUdogs » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:26 pm

''I can't think back to a time where Australia have been so convincingly beaten'' - Mark Taylor in regards to the 2010/11 Ashes series.
Sam_goUUUdogs
League - Top 5

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times

Postby mickey » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:18 pm

Perth Glory veteran Jamie Harnwell will get one last chance to farewell fans when he plays his last game for the club against Gold Coast United on Sunday afternoon.

The popular defender/forward has opted to hang up the boots, having played a record 255 games for Glory, including their two National Soccer League championships.

The 33-year-old said the decision was made when he realised he wasn’t enjoying his football anymore and that the desire to improve as a player had deserted him.
mickey
Coach

Postby Pidge » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:44 am

mickey wrote:Perth Glory veteran Jamie Harnwell will get one last chance to farewell fans when he plays his last game for the club against Gold Coast United on Sunday afternoon.

The popular defender/forward has opted to hang up the boots, having played a record 255 games for Glory, including their two National Soccer League championships.

The 33-year-old said the decision was made when he realised he wasn’t enjoying his football anymore and that the desire to improve as a player had deserted him.

One of my favourite players in the A-League. Sad he's decided to call it quits. Hopefully Perth can send him off with win at home.
It's Somma Time!
Pidge
League - Top 5

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby mickey » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:30 am

He has been a champion of the club for a long long time, gave his all.

Not affraid to get stuck in, probably a few too many red cards, probably too many on field fights with team mates (1 actually came to blows) but still a champion :prayer:
mickey
Coach

Postby mickey » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:17 pm

Tando Velaphi will play his final game for Perth Glory this Thursday night against the Newcastle Jets after the ‘keeper agreed to terms with Melbourne Victory.

“Firstly, I’d thank to thank the Perth Glory fans for their support over the years and obviously the Chairman, Mr Tony Sage for giving me the chance to represent this club,” Velaphi said.

Tando Velaphi
Perth Glory interim head coach Ian Ferguson confirmed Velaphi would start in goals against Newcastle.

“Tando has done a fantastic job for the club and we wish him all the best.

“He’s been a great servant and hopefully he can finish with a win against the Jets,” Ferguson said.

Velaphi has played 73 games for Perth Glory.
mickey
Coach

Postby mickey » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:33 pm

4 more players have been released from the club.

Naum Sekulovski, Howard Fondyke, Brent Griffiths and Anthony Skorich were all told by Perth Glory head coach Ian Ferguson they would not be required for next season.

“I’d like to thank these players for their contribution at Perth Glory,” Ferguson said.

“Given the performance of the team this season, changes need to be made."

Players Released/Retired

Naum Sekulovski
Howard Fondyke
Brent Griffiths
Anthony Skorich
Aleks Vrteski
Michael Baird
Andy Todd
Tando Velaphi
Jamie Harnwell
Andrija Jukic
mickey
Coach

Postby mickey » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:35 pm

3 new signings have been announced

Dean Heffernan
Danny Vukovic
Evan Berger

“We are now in a rebuilding phase and the three signings we have already made for next season are exciting.

“All three players have represented Australia at various levels and we will continue to make tough decisions with our squad to turn around an unacceptable season.” Ian Ferguson
mickey
Coach

Postby mickey » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:43 pm

Perth Glory is pleased to announce Dean Heffernan has officially joined the club after he was released from Melbourne Heart today.

“This is a significant move and I’m proud to be joining Perth Glory,” Heffernan said.

“I’ve worked with Fergie (Ian Ferguson) before and I’m excited by the challenge to help rebuild this great club.”

Dean Heffernan
Perth Glory coach Ian Ferguson was delighted with the signing, welcoming the star full-back to the West.

“Dean has a great pedigree,” Ferguson said.

“He’s played for the Socceroos, played in two Hyundai A-League grand finals and also had two stints overseas in Germany and England.”

Heffernan will join his new teammates for pre season training in the first week of August after he completes a short term loan deal in China.

"It will be good for Dean to get some game time during the extended off-season.

“It will allow him to comeback stronger and in good condition for the tough season ahead.”

Heffernan will fill a vital role in the new look Glory defence alongside goal keeper Danny Vukovic.

“Dean will also be a goal threat for us from left full-back,” Ferguson added.

“He’s a great crosser of the ball and Dean will bring great energy to the squad.

FACT FILE DEAN HEFFERNAN
Place of birth: Sydney, Australia
Date of birth: 19/05/1980

International record: 2 games for Australia
28 January, 2009: AFC Asian Cup qualifier v Indonesia
10 January, 2010 AFC Asian Cup qualifier v Kuwait

International goals: 1
10 January, 2010 AFC Asian Cup qualifier v Kuwait

Club career:
2005/10 Central Coast Mariners
2006/07 Nuremburg, Germany (loan)
2010 Huddersfield, England
2010/11 Melbourne Heart
mickey
Coach

Postby mickey » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:39 pm

Perth Glory young gun Scott Neville will commence a two-week trial with English Championship side Portsmouth FC from April 2nd.

This evening, Neville heads to Portsmouth with the blessing and encouragement of Perth Glory Coach Ian Ferguson and Olyroos Coach Aurelio Vidmar, who has excused the 22 year old from the first training camp in mid-April.

Scott Neville
“It’s a good opportunity for Scott to play and train at that level.” Ferguson said.

“It will be a very good experience for him.”

Neville also said he was looking forward to the challenge.

“I’m really grateful to be given this chance to head to Portsmouth and would like to thank everyone involved,” Neville said.

“To train and play at this level will be a great learning experience.”

A product of Perth Glory Youth, Neville has had a stellar rise in the Hyundai A-League since his debut in 2009.

After playing four games as a youth team player, Neville was promoted to the senior squad for the 2009/10 season and only missed three games while scoring twice, including a goal in the Glory’s first Hyundai A-League finals campaign.

Neville’s development continued in 2010/11 with the defender playing a further 26 games (two goals) and also given the privilege and responsibility of wearing the captains arm band on a number of occasions in the absence of Jacob Burns.

A fan favourite and proud West Australian, Neville capped off a wonderful season, winning three awards at the club’s prestigious MGP night, voted Players’ Player of the year, Supporters player of the year and Clubman of the year.

Neville made his international debut for Australia in September 2010, when he played three games for the Young Socceroos on a tour of Vietnam.
mickey
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:30 pm

Good on him. Good luck.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby mickey » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:37 am

Goal scoring great Shane Smeltz has joined Perth Glory as the club’s international marquee player.

In one of the recruiting coups of the off-season, the New Zealand international is the sixth new player to sign with the club, determined to start Perth Glory’s revival.

“It’s all about timing and I think Perth Glory is heading in the right direction,” Smeltz said.

PGFC Shane Smeltz
perthglory.com.au
“There’s a fresh look about the club and it’s something I want to be part of.

“I don’t think one player is going to change everything but I think I can certainly help out.”

Smeltz has scored 49 Hyundai A-League goals in stints with Wellington Phoenix and Gold Coast United and is set to become only the second player to reach 50 goals in the competition.

“He’s a fantastic signing for the club,” Perth Glory coach Ian Ferguson said.

“Shane was my first priority, my first target because I knew we had to get a proven goal scorer and that’s what we have done.

“Shane is the type of forward we missed last season, one who can hold up the ball and bring other players in the game.”

Smeltz, has also has netted an impressive 17 goals in 34 internationals for New Zealand including a goal at the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa when he scored against the defending champions Italy.

In a stellar career, the 29 year old sharp-shooter has won a host of awards including the Hyundai A-League Golden Boot (twice) and the Johnny Warren medal as the competitions best player.

After a brief spell in Turkey last year, Smeltz dominated the Hyundai A-League again on his return, scoring 9 goals in a stunning 12 game spell to help Gold Coast to the preliminary final.

Smeltz is one of the Hyundai A-League’s most respected players whose international performances for the All Whites have also received rave reviews
mickey
Coach

Postby mickey » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:08 pm

:D :-bd

mickey
Coach

Postby mickey » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:08 pm

Perth Glory coach Ian Ferguson says it’s “an exciting time” for the club as he confirmed Adam Hughes has joined his squad for the next two Hyundai A-League seasons.

Hughes, a box-to-box midfielder, has spent the past two seasons with Adelaide while in 2008 he scored a goal for Irish team Drogheda United against Dynamo Kiev in a Champions League qualifier.

“Adam brings strength to the midfield, something I feel we missed last season,” Ferguson said.

Adam Hughes answers questions from the media ahead of the Roar clash.
© AUFC
“He’s big and aggressive, he’ll bring a bit of bite to our team and he’s a winner.

“Adam is also a goal scorer, highlighted by the 13 goals he scored when used as a box-to-box midfielder in Ireland.”

Hughes is the seventh new player to sign with the club following the signatures of Danny Vukovic, Neil Young, Dean Heffernan, Evan Berger, Travis Dodd and Shane Smeltz.

“Ian Ferguson is rebuilding this squad with a lot of quality signings which is a real positive,” Hughes said.

“Obviously the results were not great last season so we need to work hard in the pre-season and work hard as a team to climb back up the ladder.”

Hughes will arrive in Perth this weekend with pre-season training to commence next week on Tuesday, May 3.

“I’m looking forward to it, a few boys will still be missing and we still need to finalise our squad but it’s an exciting time for our club and exciting for the new players coming in,” Ferguson added.
mickey
Coach

Postby mickey » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:19 pm

Perth Glory is delighted to announce that Irish midfielder Liam Miller has joined the club for the next two Hyundai A-League seasons.

In a massive coup for Perth Glory, the former Manchester United and Celtic attacking midfielder will arrive in Perth, ahead of the Glory’s glamour friendly against Miller’s old club on July 9.

“I’m thrilled to be heading to Perth,” Miller said from Scotland.

PGFC Liam Miller
Getty © Getty
“I have heard a lot of wonderful things about the City of Perth but football is the most important thing.

“Perth Glory is a proud club with a great history and I’m looking forward to the new challenge when I join Ian Ferguson and my new team mates.”

In a stellar career to date, Miller has played for two of the biggest clubs in the United Kingdom and also had stints with Leeds United and Sunderland. Miller joins Perth Glory after spending the last two seasons in the Scottish Premier League with Hibernian.

“I’m delighted to have Liam on board, “Perth Glory Coach Ian Ferguson said. “He is a quality player.

“Liam brings a lot of experience to the club and he’s played at a number of top clubs.

“It’s great to have a player of Liam’s calibre at Perth Glory.

“Liam is a midfielder who gets forward and he’ll help us become a more attacking team than last season,” Ferguson added.

Miller, 30, made his international debut for the Republic of Ireland in 2004 against the Czech Republic and has played 21 games for The Boys in Green. Miller was also part of the Irish squad that won the UEFA U-17 Championship in 1998.

Miller is the ninth new player signed by Perth Glory for the 2011/12 season. He joins Danny Vukovic, Neil Young, Evan Berger, Dean Heffernan, Adam Hughes, Travis Dodd, Shane Smeltz and Jesse Makarounas as new faces for the coming season.
mickey
Coach

Next

Board index   Other Sports  Soccer  Australian Soccer