Adelaide United sign Central Coast defender Nigel Boogaard

Home of the A-League, the Soceroos, Local leagues, etc

Adelaide United sign Central Coast defender Nigel Boogaard

Postby Il Duce » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:39 pm

Adelaide United has sprung a major coup signing in-form Central Coast defender Nigel Boogaard effective from next year, while Brad Porter will remain with the Mariners on a two-year deal.

Boogaard, 23, has signed a two-year deal and could play for the Reds in the AFC Champions League next season. He is delighted to have secured his future at Adelaide after five seasons with the Mariners

"I've always respected the way Adelaide United both play football on the field and have done things off the field. The chance to move to Adelaide and join the club is something I'm really looking forward to," Boogaard said.

"Hopefully I can come down there and learn as much as I can off Aurelio and his other coaching staff. He's obviously got an illustrious career playing wise, and he's done very well with Adelaide United so far on the coaching front, so hopefully I can come there and learn a bit and benefit from his coaching."

Mariners chairman Lyall Gorman described the loss of Boogaard as 'hugely disappointing', but he said the club understood the defender's decision.

"It's hugely disappointing to have lost a player of Nigel Boogaard's calibre. It took him a while to get going because of sickness and injury, but he has gone on to prove himself as an integral part of our defence," said Gorman

"Adelaide represents a great opportunity for him, and we wish him all the best for the future."

Coach Lawrie McKinna said there would be no issue with Boogaard still playing with the Mariners while being contracted with Adelaide for next season.

"Boogs has been fantastic for the club and I'm sure he'll do well in Adelaide," McKinna said.

"It's a great chance for him to go there and maybe play in the Champions League at the end of the year. I know he's doing up his house with his partner but this will put him a little bit out of his comfort zone and I'm sure he'll do well."

"Now all the speculation is out of the way, he can concentrate on his football, and hopefully we can send him off with the title."

The consolation for the Mariners is that Porter has signed a contract extension.

"Ever since he's come to the club he's been popular with all the boys, he is always upbeat and a good presence in the dressing rooms, and he has come a long way in the four years he’s been with us," McKinna said.

"He's one of the players we need to keep as we keep building, so it's good to get everything sorted out."
The problem with Barcelona is that I like fish and chips but they had to turn it into calamari and patatas
Il Duce
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: CBCOC

Re: Adelaide United sign Central Coast defender Nigel Boogaard

Postby Il Duce » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:40 pm

I know we need strikers, but thats a good signing
The problem with Barcelona is that I like fish and chips but they had to turn it into calamari and patatas
Il Duce
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: CBCOC

Postby whufc » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:17 pm

Very steady A-League player, will be as solid as a rock at the back. Handy pick up.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5647 times
Been liked: 2581 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby devilsadvocate » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:35 pm

whufc wrote:Very steady A-League player, will be as solid as a rock at the back. Handy pick up.

What a coll name too - the Boogie Man
devilsadvocate
Coach

Has liked: 3 times

Board index   Other Sports  Soccer  Australian Soccer