Jets sign Michael Bridges for rest of the season

Home of the A-League, the Soceroos, Local leagues, etc

Jets sign Michael Bridges for rest of the season

by Il Duce » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:47 am

Jets snare former Leeds striker Bridges

Ed Jackson, Sydney Morning Herald wrote:
Newcastle Jets have completed the signing of English striker Michael Bridges for the remainder of the A-League season.

The former Leeds United and Sydney FC marksman has been training with the Jets for the past week and will link up with his coach from his time at the sky blues, Branko Culina, at EnergyAustralia Stadium.

Bridges, without a club following a short spell with English League One side MK Dons in August, will take the final spot on the Jets' playing list and could be eligible to start in Monday's match against Adelaide.

"I was excited when I got the phone call to come out here because I was on my way to Portugal, and I actually did a U-turn to go home and pack a few more clothes to get out here," Bridges said.

"Obviously to team up again with Branko was one of the main issues as well to get over here with the Jets.

"To be in the Australian A-League again, I still felt like I could offer something and get up and running again."

A former England under-21 international, Bridges was a highly rated youngster with the Leeds team in the early years of the 21st century alongside Socceroo stars Harry Kewell and Mark Viduka.

But a series of injuries stalled the 31-year-old's career, moving through seven clubs since leaving Leeds in 2004, including a nine-game loan spell with Sydney FC during the 2007-08 A-League campaign.

One of the two goals he scored during his time in Australia was against the Jets and he was on the verge of signing for A-League new boys Gold Coast United a few months ago before a family bereavement halted that deal.

But the Jets, seeking more forward options after losing their last three A-League matches, snapped up Bridges, although he warned fans not to expect miracles.

"It's a team game, it's not as if one man can save a club," Bridges said.

"I'm going to bring something different to that team and hopefully we can get something on the end of it, some end product."

Born in the north-west of England, Bridges said he was already enjoying life in Newcastle, more so than his short stay in Sydney two years ago.

"I've been very, very impressed with the area and the people have made us feel really welcome," he said.

"Obviously my time at Sydney, it was a bit hectic the lifestyle down there, so I've found since I've been up here that I love the place."

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sp ... -gc6h.html

Also on the Jets website: http://www.newcastlejets.com.au/default ... y&id=29637
The problem with Barcelona is that I like fish and chips but they had to turn it into calamari and patatas
Il Duce
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: CBCOC

Board index   Other Sports  Soccer  Australian Soccer