A-League Guest players

Home of the A-League, the Soceroos, Local leagues, etc

A-League Guest players

Postby Il Duce » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:06 pm

Gold Coast target Nwankwo Kanu for guest stint

The World Game wrote:
Gold Coast United are out to underline their glamour status by persuading former Arsenal star Nwankwo Kanu to join them for a nine-game guest player stint.

Coach Miron Bleiberg initially targeted the 33-year-old Portsmouth striker when he co-fronted up the unsuccessful Gold Coast Galaxy consortium 18 months ago – and now he has reignited his interest in the lanky, languid – and sometimes lethal - Nigerian international, whose wizardly and audacious touches have set him apart from the crowd.

Kanu is struggling for game time with relegation-bound Portsmouth, having come off the bench seven times already this season - most recently in the 1-0 home loss to Everton at the weekend.

The man who has scored 21 goals in 102 appearances for Pompey would expect to net around $20,000-plus per game with United, who are seeking to secure his signature for a block of six home games from December 5 to January 29 - against Central Coast, Perth, Brisbane, Adelaide, Newcastle and Melbourne for maximum exposure.

"He's still a potent force, still very inventive and still able to make a huge impact at a high level, so he would be a coup for the A-League," Bleiberg told The World Game.

"I feel he’d be a good fit for us. His fitness wouldn’t be a problem and he would appeal to crowds and excite people. Whether it will happen or not I don’t know, things are at an early stage but we are keen to pursue it and see where it takes us."

Bleiberg believes Kanu would put bums on seats at Skilled Park where the cub have failed to break the 8000 barrier in their three home games to date, with just 5063 fronting up for Saturday’s controversial 3-2 loss to Melbourne Victory.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/a-league ... anu-239817

:shock: would be pretty good to see him, even if I can never forgive him for that hat-trick in 15 mintues against us at the bridge :evil:
The problem with Barcelona is that I like fish and chips but they had to turn it into calamari and patatas
Il Duce
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: CBCOC

Re: A-League Guest players

Postby Il Duce » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:13 pm

Sydney eye Figo stint

Sydney FC remain in the hunt for a guest player to boost their attacking options, with a move for Luis Figo a distant prospect.

The 36-year-old former Barcelona and Real Madrid midfielder retired at the end of the last season after four years with Inter Milan.

But Sydney manager Dave Mason spoke to Figo's representative Rob Jansen, a former minority shareholder in Brisbane Roar, during the close season - and the player is believed to be interested in a spell in Australia

But under A-League rules covering guest players, he would be unable to play in the final game of the regular season or the end-of-season play-off series.

"Obviously someone of that stature is exactly the sort of guest player you'd want, but the timing wasn't right," Mason told the Sydney Morning Herald.

"If he changes his mind and wants to come out sooner rather than later, then we'd definitely consider it.

"Our position on a guest player remains the same - if we can get someone in the attacking third, with the right sort of CV, then we are keen to do it."

Former Japan international Kazu Miura and much-travelled Italian playmaker Benito Carbone have previously played for Sydney as guest players.

Would be wondefull to see a player of such class grace our shore
The problem with Barcelona is that I like fish and chips but they had to turn it into calamari and patatas
Il Duce
League - Best 21

Postby Il Duce » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:16 pm

CASHED-UP Gold Coast United are attempting to lure former Celtic, Barcelona and Manchester United striker Henrik Larsson to the A-League.

The 37-year-old Swedish captain is in talks with the ambitious club which wants to sign Larsson on a nine-match guest player deal.

Larsson plays in the Swedish first division for Helsinborg, which he joined in 2006 from Spanish giants Barcelona.

He temporarily left the club in 2007 to join Manchester United on a short loan deal.

With the Swedish first division starting and finishing in the same calendar year, Larsson, capped 104 times for his country, could join the Coast for a similar limited period before returning for the 2010 domestic season.

Gold Coast United coach Miron Bleiberg last night confirmed that discussions were ongoing.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/stor ... 12,00.html

Read the above 2 comments - dido
Il Duce
League - Best 21

Postby Dirko » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:07 pm

As long as Adelaide don't do a Romario again :twisted:
The joy of being on the hill drinking beer cannot be understated
Dirko
Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby johntheclaret » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:35 pm

Not sure about Kanu.

He is a lazy goat and has been for a while. Can only see him going there for the life style and $$$.

Just a question, but is it really a good thing for the A League to be recruiting these "has beens"?
Thet seem to come over on the big $$$ and do they ever perform? Serious question because I don't know.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Il Duce » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:34 pm

Well they do put the bums on the seats and most have been succsesfull, I'll give you a quick run down

Players who have played in seasons 1-5

Dwight Yorke - Was fantastic for the league for the season he was here and drew a crowd no matter where he went.
Brian Deane - Fail couldnt hack it and after 8 games he went home.
Amaral - Was good for Perth till he got injured and is back for a second stint this season.
Juninho (the former Middlesbrough one) - Was ok, sadley injury ruined his stay here.
Romário - Was good for Adelaide in the fact that he put the bums on the seats, but failed on the field only scoring 1 goal.
Qu Shengqing - Started off a nobody and really is United best striker to date and earned himself the marquee tag.
Carlos Hernández - He is ripping this league a-part as much as I cant stand Melbourne he is a fantastic player with wondefull quality.
Michael Bridges - Had lost of problems with injury, did alright when he actually played though.
Steve McMahon Jr. (son of the scouse one) - one word describe him FAIL.
Benito Carbone - Only played 3 games here but really thats all he needed to play he was wondefull in the those games he played and he dominated all 3 games he played (remember the one against Adeliade he set up 3 goals and scored 1 himself).
Kazuyoshi Miura - Was a very good addition for Sydney and showed most of them how a real pro should behave.
Charlie Miller - Had alot of comments made about his weight when he first got here and then answered them by going on a scoring spree and finding red hot form.
Scot Gemmill - Did alright when he was here was just in a team that was never gonna go anywhere.
Stewart Petrie - Had original signed a coaching contract but when the mariners had majory injury problems became a player and ended being the equal joint top scorer.
Robbie Fowler - I cant stand him, but he has been great for North Queensland and he is good for the league, he is playing well and scoring and if he leave they will be in big trouble.

So like I said there have been some failuers but most of them are succsessfull over here
Il Duce
League - Best 21

Postby johntheclaret » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:35 am

Thanks for that I D.

Like I said, was a genuine question. I heard that Fowler had scored 4 on his first 6 games or something, but that attempted kick to the face when he was on his arse :shock:

I remember Carbone when he signed for Btadford City when they were in the EPL. They went down but he refused to leave so they were stuck with his mammoth wages (I heard about £40k / wk). It nearly broke them.
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby Il Duce » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:53 am

You talking about this JTC - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjrKlg763YU

Just to let you know he recived nothing for this, not a yello, not a red, no even a suspension on video, just a talking to by ref.

but otherwise yeah Robbie Fowler has scored 4 goals in 8 games this season and is doing well
Il Duce
League - Best 21

Postby johntheclaret » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:39 pm

Il Duce wrote:You talking about this JTC - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjrKlg763YU

Just to let you know he recived nothing for this, not a yello, not a red, no even a suspension on video, just a talking to by ref.

but otherwise yeah Robbie Fowler has scored 4 goals in 8 games this season and is doing well

Yeah, that's the one. I D. how the hell did he get away with that :shock:
johntheclaret
Coach

Board index   Other Sports  Soccer  Australian Soccer