Paul Reid walks out .............

Home of the A-League, the Soceroos, Local leagues, etc

Re: Paul Reid walks out .............

Postby whufc » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:04 am

Come on UNITED UNITED :evil:

and then a Melbourne 'Victory' and we do it all over again!!
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5648 times
Been liked: 2582 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Jase » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:08 am

whufc wrote:Interesting sitution for Paul Reid isnt it.

He has definatly put himself ahead of the team BUT he is a bloke coming to the end of his career, it probably is time he looks after himself both financially and oppurtunity wise.

This for him could possibly be his last chance to play at the highest level (Asian Champions Leage) he will ever play at again. Obviously the timing is poor but i guess he sees this as his least guarenteed chance to perform on a bigger stage.

But he hasn't won any friends with the way he's thrown his toys out of the pram...He has a contract until the end of March this year, he had been offered a contract extension by the club (from what I have heard was a 2 year extension) but he wanted to swan off somewhere else...

Sure if the club was out of contention (not in the finals) I'm sure they would have said "thanks for all your hard work, wish you could have stayed but good luck". However they are still in the finals, he is still a required player and he still has a contract...If the Reds win the finals they qualify for the ACL next year and he would still be able to test himself at the highest level...

Now with this behaviour I'd be surprised if Sydney signed him for next season, he's cut off his nose to spite his face...
Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1528 times
Been liked: 573 times

Postby whufc » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:13 am

Jase wrote:
whufc wrote:Interesting sitution for Paul Reid isnt it.

He has definatly put himself ahead of the team BUT he is a bloke coming to the end of his career, it probably is time he looks after himself both financially and oppurtunity wise.

This for him could possibly be his last chance to play at the highest level (Asian Champions Leage) he will ever play at again. Obviously the timing is poor but i guess he sees this as his least guarenteed chance to perform on a bigger stage.

But he hasn't won any friends with the way he's thrown his toys out of the pram...He has a contract until the end of March this year, he had been offered a contract extension by the club (from what I have heard was a 2 year extension) but he wanted to swan off somewhere else...

Sure if the club was out of contention (not in the finals) I'm sure they would have said "thanks for all your hard work, wish you could have stayed but good luck". However they are still in the finals, he is still a required player and he still has a contract...If the Reds win the finals they qualify for the ACL next year and he would still be able to test himself at the highest level...

Now with this behaviour I'd be surprised if Sydney signed him for next season, he's cut off his nose to spite his face...

Very good point, it will be interesting to see what Sydney's reaction is to the way Reid has reacted. Will they now lose interest in him or not be to bothered by it all.

I here what your saying mate and i agree, i was more looking at it from Paul Reid's point of view. I guess the Sydney oppurtunity is that they are guareenteed to be in this years Champions League, maybe Reid doesnt see himself being around next year when Adelaide would be in the ACL.

Its a sad indiction of where proffesional sport is at the moment and the fact contracts almost mean sweet fa these days.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5648 times
Been liked: 2582 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby smithy » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:29 pm

RoosterMarty wrote:
whufc wrote:
overloaded wrote:I think K Muscat still has a lot to offer as a player and we should persue him to replace Ried.

that would kill me from the inside!

It would kill me as well mate would hate to see scum like him in a Red shirt.

Guess you're in need of a break after supporting Gary Neville for 15 years. ;)
smithy

Postby Jim05 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:43 pm

smithy wrote:
RoosterMarty wrote:
whufc wrote:
overloaded wrote:I think K Muscat still has a lot to offer as a player and we should persue him to replace Ried.

that would kill me from the inside!

It would kill me as well mate would hate to see scum like him in a Red shirt.

Guess you're in need of a break after supporting Gary Neville for 15 years. ;)

Could be worse we could have had razor ruddock :D
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1128 times
Been liked: 3654 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Pag » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:03 am

Reid hasn't handled the whole situation well, but I can understand his frustration being benched while Hughes keeps getting starts?

I'm a big fan of Rini's, but this seleection he isn't getting right IMHO. Reid > Hughes.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 506 times

Postby Footy Smart » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:20 am

I head that the Reds have signed Caravella(sp) from GC for next season..... Great replacement IMO

He single handedly worked his ass off in the midfield for GC last night and got them the result!
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Previous

Board index   Other Sports  Soccer  Australian Soccer