Adelaide's nightmare continues

Home of the A-League, the Soceroos, Local leagues, etc

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:33 pm

By ROB McLEAN

HIGHLY appropriately the A League's previously undefeated Adelaide United last Friday night faced its boogyman, Melbourne Victory, within days of Halloween in its own Nightmare on Elm Street.
The Victory knocked off the Reds in an outcome which outlined previously masked concerns about Adelaide's pace in defence, as well as its reliance on the speed and power of prodigal performer Matthew Leckie.
It was not surprising that chief ghoul Kevin Muscat was prominent in the match early.
His two early crunching blocks on Leckie, who was minutes later injured in a horrible tackle by Surat Sukha, set the tone for what was to be yet another confrontational contest between the teams.
With a goal scored in the opening minute by the Reds, it looked as if the old ghosts were going to be put to rest.
But, like a leering Freddie Krueger, the Victory were not to be killed off and cruised to its 10th straight win against the feckless Adelaide United.
Eerily, the grotesquely distorted Krueger has appeared in 10 movies and doesn't look like quitting any time soon, a worrying thought for Reds supporters hoping the Victory jinx will soon end.
So, what is it about the Victory that prompts United's players to become such weak kneed warriors?
It is painfully obvious that Muscat, who also enjoyed a loathsome reputation while plying his trade in England (so it's not just us that hate him!), is the lynch pin of the ongoing Reds nightmare.
Adelaide supporters would have breathed a sigh of relief when the bald one announced his retirement after last season.
However, like the Poltergeist, heeeeeeeeee's back, resuming abnormal transmission against the Reds.
His caustic grin, apparent and inexplicable immunity at the hands of the referrees, sharp tongue and clever marshalling of his own defence seems to keep Adelaide and its supporters in his thrall.
It is time that both players and supporters broke Muscat's voodoo and stop acting like he has superpowers that prevent Adelaide from defeating their eastern neighbours.
Roddy Vargas, Grant Bredner and Tom Pondeljak have also been regular tormentors of the Reds.
After a slowish start to the season, the Victory seems to be gaining traction and is now sitting in fifth place on the premiership table and has Robbie Kruse (Casper the Friendly Ghost?) playing well as a baby faced assassin up front.
And with Reds baiters Archie Thompson and Danny Allsop also possibly close to resuming, the Victory is looking more and more formidable as the season moves towards its second half.
If Adelaide is to win an A League title, something the club should have done by now, it is going to need to find a way to awake from this continuing nightmare.
In a relatively even competition, the Reds will need to defeat Melbourne to take the premiership and it is possibly going to need to occur in a final. Maybe it's time to call in the Ghostbusters.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Re: Adelaide's nightmare continues

Postby Sam_goUUUdogs » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:06 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:And with Reds baiters Archie Thompson and Danny Allsop also possibly close to resuming,

Matty Kemp?
''I can't think back to a time where Australia have been so convincingly beaten'' - Mark Taylor in regards to the 2010/11 Ashes series.
Sam_goUUUdogs
League - Top 5

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:59 pm

Kemp, yes.
Possibly also Allsopp, they were discussing it on the game coverage on Fox.

Know anything about those flares last Friday night? ;)
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Sam_goUUUdogs » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:39 pm

Wouldn't be too bad at all getting Allsopp back, to go from playing games only a couple months ago with literally no stikers, to linning up with Kruse, Allsopp and Thompson up front, and Ricardinho in reserve would be an amazing turn around.

:lol: funnily enough my regular seats at the dome would have been pretty well straight above all the flares but I was catching up with a few Adelaide mates at half time and ended up spending most of the 2nd half up the other end.
''I can't think back to a time where Australia have been so convincingly beaten'' - Mark Taylor in regards to the 2010/11 Ashes series.
Sam_goUUUdogs
League - Top 5

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times

Board index   Other Sports  Soccer  Australian Soccer