Are Lonsdale's facilities up to hosting a Final?

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Are Lonsdale's facilities up to Finals expectations?

Poll ended at Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:59 am

Yes
31%
No
69%

Total votes : 42

Are Lonsdale's facilities up to hosting a Final?

Postby Snaparazzi » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:59 am

I'll let the members of the forum decide on whether or not you think the Lonsdale facilities are suitable to host a final. Knowing a lot of players across most clubs, a players perspective across the league is that it is not a great place to play footy, let alone a final. All players want to participate in finals as you look forward to hopefully the better weather and playing on the best ovals, this is the reward for making finals.

Vote honestly and let's see what the result comes out as.
Snaparazzi
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times

Re: Are Lonsdale's facilities up to hosting a Final?

Postby asert » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:21 am

I voted for both yes and no. At the end of the day it's a C grade final. It's not going to have huge crowds and is only what 2 dollars to get in that they miss out on. Quite frankly cove is no better, your car is no where near the oval and ff stands next to chf. If we were talking an a grade final then no.
asert
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 0 time

Postby tigerpie » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:24 am

oval looks pretty bad and shower facilities not great. council are working on the oval but with the rain we've had lately makes it hard.
good on them though for putting their hand up to host a final anyway.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 505 times
Been liked: 432 times

Postby Bag The Points » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:41 am

I also voted both ways --- C-Grade finals can be played anywhere
Bag The Points
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 0 time

Postby lion heart » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:45 am

Voted yes purely and simply because its a one off C grade final. OSB/Lons FC were asked if we would be interested and accepted, we haven't put our hand up nor would we expect an A grade final.

Snapparazzi you are far too precious get over yourself - im pretty sure you are a footballer's wife and obviously have to wash the guernseys so ill apologise in advance if there is any mud on the oval.
O’Sullivan Beach F.C Est. 1975
Lonsdale F.C Est. 1977
O’Sullivan Beach/Lonsdale F.C Est. 2001
Premierships
A-Grade ~ 5
Reserves ~ 5
Juniors ~ 17
lion heart
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 62 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby Down the Hill » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:39 am

My understanding is that SFL had a dilemma with only one club (Flaggies) willing to host on week 1 of finals. They considered 6 games consisting of 1st and 2nd semi for Sunday 14, 16 and C grade however not enough daylight hours to allow this. Decided on 5 games with a full gate and find another venue for one of the C grade finals. Decision to make it the 2nd semi was based on both competing teams being guaranteed another final where there will be better atmosphere with junior games before hand etc. 1st semi is knock-out so probably more dignified finals setting for the team that ends its campaign in that game. OSB/Lonsdale have their B&F counts that day which will also guarantee a few more spectators and noise.

After last nights rain not too many grounds will be too flash at the moment. I'm afraid the big Brighton vs Reynella game this Saturday may be a slog in the mud. Flaggies was dry and reasonably firm on Sunday but hardly has a blade of grass on it so interesting how it holds up heading into Sunday weeks finals. I think we've had enough rain to keep the farmers etc. happy, so hopefully we can start getting some nice weather and decent surfaces for all finals.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 285 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby lion heart » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:53 am

Down the Hill wrote:My understanding is that SFL had a dilemma with only one club (Flaggies) willing to host on week 1 of finals. They considered 6 games consisting of 1st and 2nd semi for Sunday 14, 16 and C grade however not enough daylight hours to allow this. Decided on 5 games with a full gate and find another venue for one of the C grade finals. Decision to make it the 2nd semi was based on both competing teams being guaranteed another final where there will be better atmosphere with junior games before hand etc. 1st semi is knock-out so probably more dignified finals setting for the team that ends its campaign in that game. OSB/Lonsdale have their B&F counts that day which will also guarantee a few more spectators and noise.

After last nights rain not too many grounds will be too flash at the moment. I'm afraid the big Brighton vs Reynella game this Saturday may be a slog in the mud. Flaggies was dry and reasonably firm on Sunday but hardly has a blade of grass on it so interesting how it holds up heading into Sunday weeks finals. I think we've had enough rain to keep the farmers etc. happy, so hopefully we can start getting some nice weather and decent surfaces for all finals.

There you go Snapper - dont get your knickers in a knot when we took the game cos no one else wanted it.
Lonsdale F.C Est. 1977
Premierships
A-Grade ~ 5
Reserves ~ 5
Juniors ~ 17
lion heart
League Bench Warmer

Postby Panther32 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:16 pm

Yeah our oval at the moment is terrible condition. Drainage has been a massive problem for us and the council is saying there is nothing wrong with the drainage, but if anyone saw our oval they would laugh!!!
The only time i've ever been wrong...was when I thought I was wrong!!!
Panther32
League - Best 21

Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby tigerpie » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:24 pm

Panther32 wrote:Yeah our oval at the moment is terrible condition. Drainage has been a massive problem for us and the council is saying there is nothing wrong with the drainage, but if anyone saw our oval they would laugh!!!

i have seen the oval yesterday and again today...not great but certainly no worse than most after all the rain we have had.do yourself a favour and go have a look at others in our area before you comment on ours. you would get a big shock!!!
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Postby The Hound » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:42 pm

tigerpie wrote:
Panther32 wrote:Yeah our oval at the moment is terrible condition. Drainage has been a massive problem for us and the council is saying there is nothing wrong with the drainage, but if anyone saw our oval they would laugh!!!

i have seen the oval yesterday and again today...not great but certainly no worse than most after all the rain we have had.do yourself a favour and go have a look at others in our area before you comment on ours. you would get a big shock!!!

P32, i think the council are right, it's just that the fooballers aren't listening to your President's request to do warm up drills/lane work in front of the scoreboard. Council have done some tests and the ground is that compacted in front of the coaches box that the water runs into certain areas and then can't disperse due to the volume of water in that area. Have the footballers ever wondered why the scoreboard side of the ground is okay??
The Hound
Reserves

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 35 times

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:44 pm

Friday nights C Grade game at Valley has been moved to Sunday to give the oval a break before Saturday's games. Clubs with large amounts of numbers will always have trouble keeping the oval in pristine condition at this time of year.

I am not sure Snappa is as concerned with the playing surface as he is with the amenities, I don't think his delicate personality could handle a cold shower... :oops:
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 68 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby Dutchy » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:00 pm

Zelezny Chucks wrote:Friday nights C Grade game at Valley has been moved to Sunday to give the oval a break before Saturday's games. Clubs with large amounts of numbers will always have trouble keeping the oval in pristine condition at this time of year.

They also cancelled subbies training last Friday night.

Lonsdale has the Subbies carnival this Sunday, weather looks OK so oval should hold up.

At the end of the day grass isnt going to grow this time of year, cant only roll the grounds to compact them and pray for no significant rain, esp on game day.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2331 times
Been liked: 3555 times

Postby tigerpie » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:21 pm

The Hound wrote:
tigerpie wrote:

P32, i think the council are right, it's just that the fooballers aren't listening to your President's request to do warm up drills/lane work in front of the scoreboard. Council have done some tests and the ground is that compacted in front of the coaches box that the water runs into certain areas and then can't disperse due to the volume of water in that area. Have the footballers ever wondered why the scoreboard side of the ground is okay??

hound i think p32 may have been brainwashed by his footy club into this type of thinking....like i said maybe look at other grounds before commenting would be a wise move...but you are right..water runs off concrete, not through it.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Postby MatteeG » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:21 pm

Out of curiosity, is Hackham hosting or been asked to host any finals?
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Snaparazzi » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:20 pm

lion heart wrote:Voted yes purely and simply because its a one off C grade final. OSB/Lons FC were asked if we would be interested and accepted, we haven't put our hand up nor would we expect an A grade final.

Snapparazzi you are far too precious get over yourself - im pretty sure you are a footballer's wife and obviously have to wash the guernseys so ill apologise in advance if there is any mud on the oval.

At no stage in this posting have i mentioned the condition of the Oval, it won't be any worse than Flaggies likely anyway or other ovals, you'll note that i mention "facilities", they are clearly the worst in the comp, you cannot deny this. Any atmosphere that may have been created is immediately lost by the 15 hectare open space! I think the percentages are speaking for themselves. I too wondered what Mattee suggested, has Hackham been asked to host this final?

Taking a step further if you polled the 42 players that will be playing on this oval for this final i think you would find the percentages to be even greater in favour of not suitable.
Snaparazzi
Rookie

Been liked: 3 times

Postby Panther32 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:29 pm

tigerpie wrote:
The Hound wrote:
tigerpie wrote:

hound i think p32 may have been brainwashed by his footy club into this type of thinking....like i said maybe look at other grounds before commenting would be a wise move...but you are right..water runs off concrete, not through it.

I've trained on and played on plenty of ovals that's had plenty of rain and still coped to a point. I understand we have a turf cricket wicket so it's going to get boggy, but even the scoreboard side of the oval was under about an inch of water last night and sorry boys I do have better things to do than driving around all night looking at ovals!
Training on it last night was bad enough!
The only time i've ever been wrong...was when I thought I was wrong!!!
Panther32
League - Best 21

Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby Down the Hill » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:37 pm

Hackham is hosting the Under 12 Lightning Carnival the day of the C grade and Sunday junior semi-finals.

Maybe the MV people are creating excuses already for a possible 2nd semi-final loss to a team they haven't beaten all year in C grade. Lonsdale can be cold and inhospitable on an average day but I'm sure you guys can layer up with plenty of flanellette shirts and hoodies, not forgetting those cosy ugg boots.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 285 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby tigerpie » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:47 pm

P32 i'm sure you have...but were they on ovals that get used as much as ours.....like every day of the week without a break. And if you have no time to research others before you bag your own oval that makes you sound pretty silly and uninformed. I believe you have played a bit of country footy. ever heard this? Even the dumbest farmer rests his paddocks!
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Postby lion heart » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:13 pm

Snaparazzi wrote:
lion heart wrote:Voted yes purely and simply because its a one off C grade final. OSB/Lons FC were asked if we would be interested and accepted, we haven't put our hand up nor would we expect an A grade final.

At no stage in this posting have i mentioned the condition of the Oval, it won't be any worse than Flaggies likely anyway or other ovals, you'll note that i mention "facilities", they are clearly the worst in the comp, you cannot deny this. Any atmosphere that may have been created is immediately lost by the 15 hectare open space! I think the percentages are speaking for themselves. I too wondered what Mattee suggested, has Hackham been asked to host this final?

Taking a step further if you polled the 42 players that will be playing on this oval for this final i think you would find the percentages to be even greater in favour of not suitable.

Snapperazzi are you not listening or are you just a little slow? ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) As stated by DTH no one else put there hand up for this game so the options are play the game at Lonsdale or perhaps on South Road?? Wether the facilities are up to hosting a final or not is irrelevent - have you actually got a better option or do just want to piss and moan as per usual?

Instead of worrying about the venue maybe you should concentrate on winning the game because it sounds as you are already defeated....
Lonsdale F.C Est. 1977
Premierships
A-Grade ~ 5
Reserves ~ 5
Juniors ~ 17
lion heart
League Bench Warmer

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:14 pm

Down the Hill wrote:Hackham is hosting the Under 12 Lightning Carnival the day of the C grade and Sunday junior semi-finals.

Maybe the MV people are creating excuses already for a possible 2nd semi-final loss to a team they haven't beaten all year in C grade. Lonsdale can be cold and inhospitable on an average day but I'm sure you guys can layer up with plenty of flanellette shirts and hoodies, not forgetting those cosy ugg boots.

I'll bring a spare pair of Ugg boots if you can bring down an extra pink turtleneck DTH?
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 68 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Next

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL