Are Edwardstown moving to SFL?

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Are Edwardstown moving to SFL?

Postby The Mexican » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:52 pm

FootyMad wrote:Finally something i'll have to agree with you on Footymad, any opinion you have is quite simple... Isn't it...

Thanks Mexican - your approval makes me feel warm and fuzzy...[/quote]

Muchos Grachos...
Viva La Raza..!!!
The Mexican
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Benchwarmer » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:02 pm

ZC

I suppose that can be countered by the question of whether they are attracting quality players now with the As being pummelled each week.

Personally, I don't see the point of folding if they have the capacity to field a younger side in C Grade and maintain a hold of the junior sides with the aim of being competitive for three to five seasons then assessing the viability of returning to A Grade - if it was in Division 2 it would be all the more easier to regain their footing at A Grade level.
Benchwarmer
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Callington

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:27 pm

agree with what your saying but their first and most important priority should be juniors unfortunately for hackham they have produced enough quality just haven't been able to retain them
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 68 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:01 pm

Hackham had arguably the second strongest group of juniors (behind Happy Valley) in the mid to late 90's in the SFL.A's were a regular top 4 side and B's played in at least 1 gf (Inc undefeated premiers).Problem was the juniors either went to play SANFL (or AFL in a couple of circumstances) and the juniors that didnt either gave up or didnt want to play there because of the A grade culture (Walking out into the car to go home after presentations and seeing senior A graders smoking drugs in the car park didnt really tempt familys to leave their kids at the club).Pitty as it has a lot of good people at the club but just a small minority at that time ruined it for every one in the future of the club.Mind you I think they all play for Noarlunga now lol
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 748 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Bluedemon » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:15 pm

SFL is a dieing competition that needs a overhaul somehow, maybe a need side coming into the comp might help.
SAFooty.net, where you hear the community football news first
Bluedemon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 97 times

Postby Numbers » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:24 pm

kookas wrote:SFL is a dieing competition that needs a overhaul somehow, maybe a need side coming into the comp might help.

Dieing competition? Have you been to a game lately? And not a game played between 2 bottom sides but a top side clash ie Cove vs Morphies, that game wasn't a deing competition
Numbers
Rookie

Been liked: 3 times

Postby pelican » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:34 pm

Numbers wrote:
kookas wrote:SFL is a dieing competition that needs a overhaul somehow, maybe a need side coming into the comp might help.

Dieing competition? Have you been to a game lately? And not a game played between 2 bottom sides but a top side clash ie Cove vs Morphies, that game wasn't a deing competition

What a silly thing to say the league is dieing, when Happy Valley, Brighton, Reynella, Cove, Morphies even Porties play each other there are some cracker games played at a high level. SFL is not dying the strong are getting stronger. The league is well over 100 years old and as strong as ever!
Tall streak of pelican sh.....!
pelican
Mini-League

Postby The Lova » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:48 pm

I was contemplating Ignoring your silly post but wanted to know what a "need side" is.

If the SFL is dieing then what league isnt. Most leagues have thrashing, and although they may not be as bad as the SFL. I invite you down to a sunday game when Morphies and Reynella play (12th August @ Reynella) to watch an absolute cracker. If the atmosphere at that game doesnt get you going nothing will!!!!
Beat the whites of eggs with a pinch of salt until stiff...Continue beating, gradually adding sugar, vinegar and vanilla, until of thick consistency.
The Lova
Under 16s

Postby Swooper16 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:52 pm

pelican wrote:
Numbers wrote:

What a silly thing to say the league is dieing, when Happy Valley, Brighton, Reynella, Cove, Morphies even Porties play each other there are some cracker games played at a high level. SFL is not dying the strong are getting stronger. The league is well over 100 years old and as strong as ever!

I dont think the league is dieieing nor is it DYING. Simple fact is if we can replace Morphie Parks & Smackam with 2 competitive clubs like E'Town & Blackwood then a strong interest in the SFL would be maintained throughout the whole season - not just at the start and business end of the year when the good clubs play each other.

Unfortunate for the clubs that are axed but they've done or shown nothing the past 3-4 seasons and they are dragging the league down.
Swooper16
League - Best 21

Been liked: 2 times

Postby Swooper16 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:54 pm

Swooper16 wrote:
pelican wrote:
Numbers wrote:

I dont think the league is dieieing nor is it DYING. Simple fact is if we can replace Morphie Parks & Smackam with 2 competitive clubs like E'Town & Blackwood then a strong interest in the SFL would be maintained throughout the whole season - not just at the start and business end of the year when the good clubs play each other.

Unfortunate for the clubs that are axed but they've done or shown nothing the past 3-4 seasons and they are dragging the league down.

....not to mention boring as F*ck to play against.
Swooper16
League - Best 21

Been liked: 2 times

Postby Shirtfront » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:11 pm

The Lova wrote:

I was contemplating Ignoring your silly post but wanted to know what a "need side" is.

If the SFL is dieing then what league isnt. Most leagues have thrashing, and although they may not be as bad as the SFL. I invite you down to a sunday game when Morphies and Reynella play (12th August @ Reynella) to watch an absolute cracker. If the atmosphere at that game doesnt get you going nothing will!!!!

BYO Knife.
Shirtfront
League Bench Warmer

Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby pelican » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:14 pm

sharky wrote:
The Lova wrote:

BYO Knife.

to cut through the atmosphere and tension of a great game.
Tall streak of pelican sh.....!
pelican
Mini-League

Postby Bluedemon » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:22 pm

The Lova wrote:

boring :partyman:
SAFooty.net, where you hear the community football news first
Bluedemon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 97 times

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:45 pm

don't let us stop you ending it all then kookas one less oxygen thief! if you can't get fired up bout one of the best rivalries in the SFL with the 2 current benchmarks then get your skirt on and head out to ETSA Park!
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 68 times

Postby Bully » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:04 pm

my view is that i wish edwardstown would make thier minds up and stay in SAAFL or go elsewhere :wink:
Bully
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 120 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:48 pm

Dunno about the SFL dying but its credibility is no where as good as it was back when the two divisions existed.That is fact,never the less the top tier sides are top shelf to watch with great atmosphere....
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 748 times

Postby sportsfan » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:38 am

I think if town's make the move, there is no doubt that they will lose players who wan't to continue to play in SAAFL div1, which is fair enough. But i'm sure they will be more than competitive, unlike others at the moment in the SFL. Not sure on town's travel committments at the mo, but could the possibility of a little less travel tempt some players and in particular junior parents? Just a thought.
sportsfan

Been liked: 4 times

Postby Real McCoy » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:12 am

Spoke with a current A Grade player for townies yesterday and his word's were that the player's ARE NOT HAPPY about the move, so they may not lose a couple , they may lose a heap !!!!
Real McCoy
Under 16s

Postby beeroclock » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:23 am

kookas why bother when all you do is can all opions that appear on any forum give it up.I do expect a negative response, see how we go.
beeroclock
League - Best 21

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 53 times

Postby Down&Out » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:07 pm

[quote="Numbers"][quote="Down&Out"]I am another who has seen the e mail document and while the 9 delegates were in agreeance there is a strong push from some within the group to squash the move based on the fact that they want to see Edwardstown stay and play in the highest competition they possibly can- i don't think the deal is done and dusted- there may be some fireworks with this move yet to come!![/quote]

Pretty sure that if your A grade coach and your President want something then it's likely to happen.

Do Edwardstown really have a Board of Directors and not a Committee?[/quote]

Not doubting the strong push of the 2 guys mentioned (I find it interesting that a guy- Agrade coach has been there 1 year and seems to be one of the main forces pushing move??) All I am saying is the deal is not over- some very strong staunch Edwardstown people are not happy with the move or the way this is being handled!
Down&Out
Under 16s

Grassroots Team: Peake

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL