Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby Dutchy » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:37 pm

Luke15 wrote:Well.this is best news i have heard. Piss Hackham off, hopefully Marion and MPark follow suit. Hopefully Brighton stay and then we only left with one shit club

Must admit this is good news for the SFL and may mean Brighton might stay if some of these clubs go.

Very funny about Ammo clubs complaining about the travel, Trinity's home ground isn't even in Adelaide!
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2333 times
Been liked: 3563 times

Postby Dirty Darryl » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:46 pm

Luke15 wrote:Well.this is best news i have heard. Piss Hackham off, hopefully Marion and MPark follow suit. Hopefully Brighton stay and then we only left with one shit club

Coming from a Porties struggler.. You ain't setting the world on fire champ
Dirty Darryl
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times

Postby Luke15 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:49 pm

Dirty Darryl wrote:

Coming from a Porties struggler.. You ain't setting the world on fire champ

Yeah agree we arent going great but at least we have lots of locals playing and are fielding 4 teams.
Luke15
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 18 times

Postby Front & Centre » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:38 pm

I seriously doubt Hackham are heading to Amateurs. They are being supported in many ways including financially by the SFL at the moment and unless there was a financial incentive for them to move I don't see this happening.
I have heard from a very well connected source there is a small number of volunteers who are keeping this club running and they are unlikely to continue next year. If this is the case their financial and personnel issues make it unlikely they will continue at all let alone have the volunteers needed to get a club up and running in another league. That said there may be some club members who are willing to step up and take on the challenge of a move.
Front & Centre
Rookie

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby strike me pink » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:14 pm

Not sure where you heard that the SFL is financially helping them, the Club I believe is going OK with the money side since taking over the Bar, Graham Thompson I have heard is leaving at the end of Season which will leave a Gap - massive worker for the Club but personally think a Div 7 entry to Amateurs where they will play in a similar standard is a sensible move to keep a Club with pretty good facilities able to attract that standard of player to survive.
strike me pink
Mini-League

Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby oneuponedown » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:50 pm

Brighton 10 goals
Emus 10 goals
Bushpigs 15 goals
Cove 15 goals
Shoes 15 goals
Twisties 10 goals
Wineys 10 goals

What a round of footy!
oneuponedown
Rookie

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 8 times
Grassroots Team: Meningie

Postby Boof » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:33 pm

Maybe some interesting times ahead if any of the above threads prove to be true! Time will tell.
Are Hackam and Lonsdale really viable given where they are located? M-Vale are only a stones throw away from Hackam and are a well established strong club. Why the need for another club that shares the same area as them is baffling? Same could be said for Lonsdale with Reynella so close by!

As much as a lot of us up the hill bag Brighton they will be a big loss to our comp. Losing one of our strongest clubs in an already weak competition can't be a good thing. Mail is strong on here that they are going and I heard from a good source this week that is the case! But as I said time will tell. Possible 2016 premiers!!!

Interested in everyone's thoughts on the standard of football in our junior competition compared to other leagues down the hill.
Boof
Mini-League

Been liked: 6 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby Dutchy » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:02 pm

BRIGHTON BOMBERS CONSIDER MOVE TO AMATEUR LEAGUE
For interested friends:
At our last Board meeting a paper was put forward by myself considering and advocating a move of the club to Amateur league in 2017. The Board considered the proposal and determined that after a period of consultation that the decision will be put to a vote of the club in early to mid August. It is worthwhile to note that the vote would need to achieve a 50 % majority of junior members and a vote of 50% senior members to be successful.
A number of factors were taken into account in proposing the move these include:
For the Seniors
- The quality of the competition in the SFL has meant that there are vast discrepancies between teams and although we are not dominating the competition this disparity is a demotivator for players and spectators. A move to Amateur league would see much more competitive matches on a weekly basis.
- The ability of the club to participate in the highest level possible is with the Amateur league. Whilst we would not start in Division 1 this would be our aspiration and would be a significant draw card for players.
- We would of course lose the rivalry we have built with a number of clubs in the SFL.
-The C Grade would also be affected by the move. there is no Sunday competition in the Amateur league and the C grade team would be required to play either at 10.15 am of immediately after the A grade. There is also the probability that on occasions the C grade would play at another ground than the As and B. C Grade will become a direct feeder for other senior teams.
For the U/18s
In removing the seniors from the SFL the U18s would be required to play in the Amateur league Sunday U18 competition.
- The quality of both the SFL and Amateur competitions is both high.
- Moving from Saturdays would also enable those players who are from the private school system to play with us rather than leave after U/16.
- A key concern for us here is the breaking of the nexus between the Seniors and Juniors. Our club would need to take management decisions to make sure that the bond was close. Some clubs in this position have applied a member of the senior coaching panel or even the senior coach to this coaching job. We would need to do something similar to ensure continuity.
For the Saturday and Sunday Juniors
The move of the Saturday teams to the SANFL Sunday competition is something we contemplated when we moved the Sunday teams last year.
- The advantages of moving include the fact that all of our junior players will be playing in the one competition (for the first time).
- Our teams will be stronger and playing against stronger opposition than we currently encounter
- A full pathway will exist right through from U8 to U18s.
- It is critical to note that the move does not mean we walk away from the principles of the Bomber Way.
- All current Saturday teams will move to Sunday afternoons.
The proposal of the move should not be seen as a slight to the SFL. We enjoy a great relationship with the SFL Board and its members teams. It is simply the fact that we consider it in our clubs best interests to make the change. Over the next weeks there will be many questions regarding the move. The Senior and Junior committees are committed to working closely with you to ensure that all questions are answered before the final vote is taken.
Go the Bombers
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:24 am

Boof wrote:Maybe some interesting times ahead if any of the above threads prove to be true! Time will tell.
Are Hackam and Lonsdale really viable given where they are located? M-Vale are only a stones throw away from Hackam and are a well established strong club. Why the need for another club that shares the same area as them is baffling? Same could be said for Lonsdale with Reynella so close by!

As much as a lot of us up the hill bag Brighton they will be a big loss to our comp. Losing one of our strongest clubs in an already weak competition can't be a good thing. Mail is strong on here that they are going and I heard from a good source this week that is the case! But as I said time will tell. Possible 2016 premiers!!!

Interested in everyone's thoughts on the standard of football in our junior competition compared to other leagues down the hill.

15 years ago SFL was arguably the best under age comp in the state from 14's to 18's bar the SANFL. This was also reflected in rep games from memory. It's fallen away immensely in overall standard and others have taken over. Not hard to connect the dots with 2 divs amalgamated to 1.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 747 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Thumbs Up » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:24 am

the big bang wrote:How has Ben Goldfinch been going for the shoes since coming back from another shoulder surgery?

Is that Sam Goldfinch's big brother?
Thumbs Up
Mini-League

Been liked: 5 times

Postby ol man emu » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:51 pm

Mister Footy wrote:Sweendog you going to name those 4 sides then? Marion, MVP and Brighton already named but whose your 4th side? Anyone want to take a guess?

I reckon Marion will go, MVP wont go till they are forced out and that wont ever happen, Brighton is a toss up but why wouldnt you want to go to a comp that gives you a decent game each week

We can all sit on here and take pot shots at the SFL but I reckon it's time clubs took a stand and forced a vote to go back to full day of footy on a Saturday which was the best thing about the SFL. The SFL wont ever do anything about it without being forced because they are run mostly by Lonsdale people.

Clubs with 5 sides on Saturday
Reynella
Brighton
Flaggies
Happy Valley
Christies
Cove
Noarlunga

Clubs without 5 sides on Saturday
Porties - no 18s
MVP - no juniors
Aldinga - no 16s
Lonsdale - no juniors
Hackham - no 14s or 18s
Marion - no juniors

Anyone from Porties or Aldinga want to fill us in on whether you will be putting 5 Saturday teams on the park next year?

Keep hearing Hackam to fold next year anyone got an update on this?

Morphett Vale have 5 teams
EMUS? the rock stars of the outback.
emus are berserk. they run fast, playhard,
and to be honest, we admire their insanity.
ol man emu
Under 16s

Been liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby Dutchy » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:57 pm

Today's A grade results
Brighton 25.17 d Happy Valley 8.7
Christies Beach 9.11 def by Morphett Vale 15.6
Flagstaff Hill 20.17 d Aldinga 2.2
Hackham 6.6 def by Cove 30.14
Marion 3.0 def by Noarlunga 40.21
Morphettville Park 13.15 d OSB/Lonsdale 9.15
Reynella 9.8 def by Port Noarlunga 11.5
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby liverpool kiss » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:02 am

oneuponedown wrote:Brighton 10 goals
Emus 10 goals
Bushpigs 15 goals
Cove 15 goals
Shoes 15 goals
Twisties 10 goals
Wineys 10 goals

What a round of footy!

hmmm
liverpool kiss

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby liverpool kiss » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:28 am

at the end of the day its a tough decision to leave the once great SFL, but when you think of the staying in the league with things staying the same... that is leaving things up to the board to make tough decisions..... we know thats not going to happen.

so... you are left with a decision of ..... sit on your hands and wait for another 5 years or move on and try another avenue...

movement has begun to occour, it will be intersting to see the final outcome...

SFL... 10 competitive teams and it can survive.... another year of this it will loose more sides in years to come...

no offence to lonsdale but if the board has ties to this club... it is surley the only reason they still exist.. i would rather miss a game of footy than go there and play...

SAAFL is not the silver bullet but a far better than another year of the same shit...
liverpool kiss

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby marbles » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:25 am

which saafl division do you predict brighton would enter ?
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 259 times

Postby tigerpie » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:18 pm

Brighton, how many times do you need to change leagues?
From memory SAFA, AMMOS, SFL and now it seems AMMOS again all in 25 years or so.
Its not great for the league as they are a great club. Its just that they get itchy feet way too often.

I would stay put and let the poor performed clubs move on. Hopefully this happens next year or year after.
This will make the fixture a lot easier to work with and, as shown by Porties yesterday, anyone can beat anyone.

They are a proud club and would think have aspirations to win a DIV 1 flag.
If all the planets aligned that's a minimum of 3 years away, assuming they go into DIV 3. Realistically more like 5-8 even 10 years away.
Crazy move in my opinion!
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 505 times
Been liked: 432 times

Postby Oldman Munga » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:17 pm

Invite Mitchell Park, Flinders Uni, Kangarilla and either Macclesfield or Meadows to form a div 2 comp ,seeing my A +B sides win by a combined score of 70 goals yesterday was bullshit
Oldman Munga
Rookie

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:16 pm

No doubt those clubs would have been contacted to join, there was a very public recruitment drive years back to get more clubs to the SFL. One went and they are back already and they are a shadow of themself when they left. Not exactly good grounds to entice clubs down south.
To join the SFL you need to be the right fit as a whole and you need bigger bank accounts to pay recruits. Not many of those clubs have a sustainable ability to pay consistent coin that you need to be a strong SFL club.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 747 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Dutchy » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:19 pm

The comp is probably as even as it has been for a number of years, could make a sound argument for Brighton to stay

Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby marbles » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:00 pm

When i got matches coming up knowing theres a 20 goal win coming up id rather stay home give kid a game and have a rest #boring
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 259 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL