Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby Yank Man » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:58 pm

Mister Footy wrote:Great weekend of footy if you are a Valley supporter :D 3 teams in the GF is our best effort for 10-15 years I reckon. Solid wins for all teams too.

HVFC also officially on the hunt for a new club coach. Dent has advised club he is moving on - rumoured links to Willunga, Myponga, Colonel Light Gardens, Mclaren Vale. Best of luck to him.

Couple of other things worth bringing up. Emus went into PF weekend with 5 teams but only 1 into GF. Some punches thrown in 18s game yesterday and noticed some Brighton committee members not too happy - care to comment DTH?

Hopeful Jonny can make it 3 in a row tonight.

Matt Dent has been appointed coach at Colonel Light Gardens in Div 5 SAAFL :shock: Well done to all the medal winners and special good luck to a couple of great mates in Trevor Mitton and Simon Dean. Go you Shoes. :D
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 323 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby Dutchy » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:08 pm

In the B grade a Porties player (No. 26?) was reported, anyone know if it has gone to the tribunal, while the Flaggies player was pretty shook up not sure it was reportable, free kick yes.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2334 times
Been liked: 3570 times

Postby Pommy Git » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:18 am

Down the Hill
"I will sound like a good politician and won't comment on Sunday's U18 game because the 2 reports are before the tribunal. To set the record straight, the lad with the facial injury was nothing to do with foul play. He copped an accidental point of the shoulder in a contest. There was a lad whose head was used as a speed ball but he is OK.

Well done to Chris Curyer in winning the U18 medal. I've seen him play several times and he is a real goer who plays the game with a passion and pride in the jumper that you love to see in any kid at your club. I would suggest the HV people on here check his total votes with their President or Secretary from the handout clubs received at the end of last night. 36 votes from 15 games is incredible and for what I write next could be inaccurate.

On the slide for the U16 count, the Brighton lad listed as runner up was shown with 29 votes yet he played only 8 games. So it had to be wrong. As it turned out he polled 19 votes which is still very impressive from 8 games but probably not enough to be runner up. And the other 3 Brighton lads listed in the top 10 on the slide all had incorrect votes displayed as to what they actually received. All 4 still polled enough votes to make the TOTY but if the slide was wrong for the 4 Brighton lads then I suspect the whole slide was wrong. So there could have been errors in other grades. I just hope the lad from Aldinga who won the U16 medal was still the correct winner.

But it wouldn't be Mail Medal night without some balls up. Just ask Josh Vick and Andrew Bachmann and Van der Meer from Christies Beach oops I meant Flagstaff Hill. And what about the MC who struggles to pronounce even the simplest of names. I mean how can you pronounce Riddle any other way but he was called Ridley more than once. They thanked the guy at the start of the night who prepares all the slides and presumably gets paid but it seems pretty obvious that it is cobbled together pretty quickly and not even checked by anyone.

The quality and accuracy of the annual Brighton Bombers Presentation Night slideshow runs rings around the SFL slideshow ;)"

Every year many errors are obvious to everyone else in the room other than the maroon coats.
When will they start to check the slides and the results before the nigh?. A bit too much to expect from a league that doesn't even check the eligibility of players in the finals series!
When are they going to get a professional MC to run the night? Davenport is an embarrassment. At the end of the night the general and his homeboys would have been patting themselves on the back for putting on, in their eyes, another fantastic night.
Is it just me, or does everyone else think about the presenting of the Mail Medal and conducting the shambles of a raffle, with the Mail Medallist kept on stage to draw the raffle. This seems highly inappropriate and demeaning for the player and shambolic end to the evening.
DTH was that slideshow or sideshow? ;)
Pommy Git

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Mister Footy » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:35 am

Dutchy wrote:
Mister Footy wrote:OK so maybe I'm biased but reckon I am allowed - Curyer a great lad and has had a cracker season. Look forward to seeing him develop into a senior footballer . Strong side this year in the 18s that havent lost a game and thought the votes might have been shared around more.

Reckon it was shock for HV to win club of the year - how is that decided? HV have the most teams in the GF but isnt this award focussed on minor rounds and more about A grade?

Great results for Flaggies - good onya

If he is that good why didn't he play up in B or A grade?

Very good point Dutchy. I reckon it he either wasnt offered the opportunity or didnt want to. Some 18s this year have wanted to play together rather than go up and spend half a game on the bench in the A grade. Curyer is a first year which might have counted against him.
Mister Footy
Under 18s

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby Dutchy » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:55 pm

SOUTHERN FOOTBALL LEAGUE FINALS 2014 GRAND FINALS
Admission $10 Adults, $5 Senior Citizens, Children Under 16 Free
Under 14 start 8.00am, Under 16 start 9.20am, Under 18 start 10.55am
B grade start 12.35pm & A Grade start 2.30pm
U14 Reynella v Happy Valley
U16 Brighton Bombers v Morphett Vale
U18 Happy Valley v Brighton Bombers
B Grade Flagstaff Hill v Happy Valley
A Grade Noarlunga v Reynella
Conditions of Entry to the SFL Grand Final 2014
The bringing of alcohol into a place of public entertainment is prohibited
No eskies, pets, bicycles, scooters
allowed under SANFL ovals policy
Patrons & vessels subject to security checks
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Dutchy » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:56 pm

Mister Footy wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Mister Footy wrote:OK so maybe I'm biased but reckon I am allowed - Curyer a great lad and has had a cracker season. Look forward to seeing him develop into a senior footballer . Strong side this year in the 18s that havent lost a game and thought the votes might have been shared around more.

Reckon it was shock for HV to win club of the year - how is that decided? HV have the most teams in the GF but isnt this award focussed on minor rounds and more about A grade?

Great results for Flaggies - good onya

If he is that good why didn't he play up in B or A grade?

Very good point Dutchy. I reckon it he either wasnt offered the opportunity or didnt want to. Some 18s this year have wanted to play together rather than go up and spend half a game on the bench in the A grade. Curyer is a first year which might have counted against him.

Fair enough, is he involved in a SANFL club?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby King » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:17 pm

Dutchy wrote:In the B grade a Porties player (No. 26?) was reported, anyone know if it has gone to the tribunal, while the Flaggies player was pretty shook up not sure it was reportable, free kick yes.

Duchy I saw the incident and agree not a lot in it. The umpire certainly appeared to report the Porties player, jotting down numbers, time etc. but then he only produced a yellow card. I thought a report was automatic red card, send off and 50 m penalty? Are the rules different in different leagues; not sure I have seen that particular ump in the SFL before.
King
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 14 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:05 pm

Dutchy wrote:SOUTHERN FOOTBALL LEAGUE FINALS 2014 GRAND FINALS

As per usual the SFL manage to make issues when their needn't be. Brighton finished the minor round 4th, Morphett Vale 2nd.

It's getting a bit embarassing to be involved with these muppets that supposedly represent the clubs... :roll:
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 68 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby Waterboy » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:23 pm

Zelezny Chucks wrote:

As per usual the SFL manage to make issues when their needn't be. Brighton finished the minor round 4th, Morphett Vale 2nd.

It's getting a bit embarassing to be involved with these muppets that supposedly represent the clubs... :roll:

I suspect you'll find that Brighton beating the number 1 team (Reynella) in the first round does give them the top ranking.
Waterboy
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby Down the Hill » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:20 pm

Waterboy wrote:
Zelezny Chucks wrote:

I suspect you'll find that Brighton beating the number 1 team (Reynella) in the first round does give them the top ranking.

But Waterboy you know as well as me that the SFL has determined in recent years that the winner of the Saturday Prelim will be granted the home status over the Sunday Prelim winner. But what if the 3rd placed Aldinga (who MV smashed in the first week of finals) beat Brighton on Saturday. They still would have been the home team this week according to current SFL protocols. I know you are a smart man WB but try and reconcile that scenario.

So I share your pain ZC regardless of Brighton being involved but I suppose one of the plusses of GF day at SAFC is that the facilities for both teams are first rate. Brighton have been on the other side of this situation but it is GF week so it shouldn't be allowed to become a distraction. These 2 teams have played out a 1 point result and a 2 point result during the season, both in favour of the Emu's, so it should be a cracking game.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 287 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:54 pm

Down the Hill wrote:
Waterboy wrote:
Zelezny Chucks wrote:

But Waterboy you know as well as me that the SFL has determined in recent years that the winner of the Saturday Prelim will be granted the home status over the Sunday Prelim winner. But what if the 3rd placed Aldinga (who MV smashed in the first week of finals) beat Brighton on Saturday. They still would have been the home team this week according to current SFL protocols. I know you are a smart man WB but try and reconcile that scenario.

So I share your pain ZC regardless of Brighton being involved but I suppose one of the plusses of GF day at SAFC is that the facilities for both teams are first rate. Brighton have been on the other side of this situation but it is GF week so it shouldn't be allowed to become a distraction. These 2 teams have played out a 1 point result and a 2 point result during the season, both in favour of the Emu's, so it should be a cracking game.

Completely agree DTH, I'm sure it won't come into the heads of those involved but if that is the way they are deciding home teams then it is a farce. The only reason 4th had the chance to beat 1st is because they were the lesser team throughout the course of the year.

Not having a go at Brighton, on this occasion, unless of course you have been handing out a few golden handshakes? ;)
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 68 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby Waterboy » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:10 pm

Down the Hill wrote:
Waterboy wrote:
Zelezny Chucks wrote:

Unfortunately there isn't a lot of OSB/Lonsdale involvement in finals, but it looked to me like the finals structure was laid out fairly well in the emails to club committees, with where the winners of each final played next. According to that yea, Aldinga would have had the home rooms. Should that be changed because they were smashed in the first week of finals? If Brighton had of belted Reynella whenever they played them in the regular season should they have had the home rooms in the first round of the finals? As you say it doesn't really matter a whole lot who is which changerooms at South anyway.
Waterboy
Rookie

Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby Axle Rose » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:25 am

Luckily, whether a Club is "home" or "away" on Saturday, wont affect the kids playing or the result. However, the decision to make Brighton the home team just confirms what I have said in an earlier post. If the league has sent out emails to clubs stating that it should be any different than the higher ranked team in the minor round being allocated as the home team, then they have CHANGED THE RULES! It is embarrassing that an organisation can literally make up there own rules on such a regular basis. The fact is, they know at the end of the day, they don't have to answer to anyone. They know it, and they are abusing it. Good luck to all teams.

PS. In the event of a draw, the league has decided the winner will be decided by the team that locate the current constitution and find out the real rule, because they wont know what it is.
Axle Rose
Rookie

Been liked: 1 time

Postby Dutchy » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:07 am

Only 6 clubs represented on GF day, down from 7 last year, a concern?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Look Good In Leather » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:21 am

Dutchy wrote:Only 6 clubs represented on GF day, down from 7 last year, a concern?

Probably more a reflection on clubs not fielding a full set of juniors and hence less opportunity for representation. Only 8 clubs fielded a full set of juniors in their own right, only one of these missed the A-Grade finals. The one club that did not have a full set was at least represented in every grade, just one grade was half a side.

Therefore the concern is not that the number of clubs on GF day has diminished, more the fact that clubs have got to the point that they can not get the basic number of teams together.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby shoe boy » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:25 am

Look Good In Leather wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Only 6 clubs represented on GF day, down from 7 last year, a concern?

Probably more a reflection on clubs not fielding a full set of juniors and hence less opportunity for representation. Only 8 clubs fielded a full set of juniors in their own right, only one of these missed the A-Grade finals. The one club that did not have a full set was at least represented in every grade, just one grade was half a side.

Therefore the concern is not that the number of clubs on GF day has diminished, more the fact that clubs have got to the point that they can not get the basic number of teams together.

Or you could say they have started their own sunday comp ? Oh hang on isn't that SAAFL.
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Mister Footy » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:32 pm

Reckon it was interesting to see representation of more clubs in finals though. May not have made the GF but Aldinga had a junior team that played deep into the finals, Christies seemed to have more teams in finals this year and I can see Hackham making finals next year.

Think we should be looking at overall improvement on ladder at end of minor and clubs playing all finals not just the big dance - that will come
Mister Footy
Under 18s

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby King » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:32 pm

What are the odds on back to back premierships for both the Flies (A Grade) and Flaggies (B Grade)??
King
Under 16s

Been liked: 14 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Dutchy » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:08 pm

King wrote:What are the odds on back to back premierships for both the Flies (A Grade) and Flaggies (B Grade)??

Would it be fair to say the Shoes are favs in the A grade? Anyone want to frame a market?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby fathersonsfl » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:46 pm

Dutchy wrote:
King wrote:What are the odds on back to back premierships for both the Flies (A Grade) and Flaggies (B Grade)??

Would it be fair to say the Shoes are favs in the A grade? Anyone want to frame a market?

I would say Shoes $1.75 Flies $2.10. B Grade Flagstaff Hill $1.70 Valley $2.15

Flies and Flaggy back to back $3.60.
fathersonsfl
Rookie

Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL