How strong is the SFL board

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: How strong is the SFL board

Postby story of my life » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:16 pm

And the stupid thing is that if you blokes went to 2 divisions and had promotion and relegation, other clubs would be looking at joining, not leaving
story of my life
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby BFG » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:40 pm

story of my life wrote:And the stupid thing is that if you blokes went to 2 divisions and had promotion and relegation, other clubs would be looking at joining, not leaving

great point, i know that i would much rather drive the 30/45 minutes to christies or aldinga or porties than drive an hour out to gawler or angle vale from my place at marion!!
BFG
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 25 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Roo Ted » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:26 pm

BFG wrote:
story of my life wrote:And the stupid thing is that if you blokes went to 2 divisions and had promotion and relegation, other clubs would be looking at joining, not leaving

great point, i know that i would much rather drive the 30/45 minutes to christies or aldinga or porties than drive an hour out to gawler or angle vale from my place at marion!!

Does that mean CLG would be up to looking at coming across if 2 divisions?
Roo Ted

Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Morphettville Park

Postby 1983 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:39 am

liverpool kiss wrote:wake up board your precious league is disolving before your eyes....

Step up or step aside...

A question that should probably be asked is, who would take over the current board positions? Is the reason for the SFL board being weak that no one else will put their hand up to go on the board? I know we struggle at times to get people to put their hand up to come on the board at our local club, is it any different with the SFL board? The SFL board needs an injection of younger, forward thinking heads along with some fresh old heads but is anyone prepared to do it? In my case I am flat out on the board at my own club and wouldn't have time to commit to the SFL board, I imagine this would be the case with most other passionate local footballers, volunteers and supporters.
Sharks patrol these waters

Grassroots Team: Aldinga

Postby shoe boy » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:24 am

I believe the SFL board has more than enough directors and executives 13+ from memory. Within is a wide spectrum of views and some quality representatives. My concerns are at times the board forgets that their role is to represent the member clubs!
Since 2002 with the introduction of 1 division the clubs have voiced concerns of the gap between top and bottom with little or no action from our board!
My mail is there appears to be some movement within the board and one suggestion is in 2012 play every side once from round 1-14 with the premiership table at that point to determine div 1 and 2 for 2013. Peronaly a good start and am interested with views.
PS also at least 4 clubs looking to enter the SFL if this occurs
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby lion heart » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:39 am

shoe boy wrote:I believe the SFL board has more than enough directors and executives 13+ from memory. Within is a wide spectrum of views and some quality representatives. My concerns are at times the board forgets that their role is to represent the member clubs!
Since 2002 with the introduction of 1 division the clubs have voiced concerns of the gap between top and bottom with little or no action from our board!
My mail is there appears to be some movement within the board and one suggestion is in 2012 play every side once from round 1-14 with the premiership table at that point to determine div 1 and 2 for 2013. Peronaly a good start and am interested with views.

Sounds perfect im not sure how anyone could possibly argue against the proposal.
O’Sullivan Beach F.C Est. 1975
Lonsdale F.C Est. 1977
O’Sullivan Beach/Lonsdale F.C Est. 2001
Premierships
A-Grade ~ 5
Reserves ~ 5
Juniors ~ 17
lion heart
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 62 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby Tubby » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:50 am

shoe boy wrote:I believe the SFL board has more than enough directors and executives 13+ from memory. Within is a wide spectrum of views and some quality representatives. My concerns are at times the board forgets that their role is to represent the member clubs!

Do you know who these 4 clubs might be ???
Tubby
Under 16s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Postby Leo » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:53 am

Good on the surface, but would need a little more substance than that. Just an example, but imagine Mville Park gaining a few recruits, pinching an early upset win in the A's against one of the big 4 or 5 teams. A Team like Cove, with a full compliment of juniors, a new coach finding his feet, take a little while to gain momentum. Could possibly one result decide the fate of a club for many years to come. In 2001 when Pottsy came to Morphett Vale, our first 9 games we were 1-8. We went 5-4 against the same oppostion the next 9. 3 years later, the club was a powerhouse. Good to see the ideas being thrown around, but it cant be as simple as going by the table after 2/3's of a season.
Leo
Rookie

Been liked: 8 times

Postby Bag The Points » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:09 am

Tubby wrote:

For starters Kangarilla would be back like a shot.
Bag The Points
League Bench Warmer

Postby lion heart » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:04 pm

Leo wrote:

Good on the surface, but would need a little more substance than that. Just an example, but imagine Mville Park gaining a few recruits, pinching an early upset win in the A's against one of the big 4 or 5 teams. A Team like Cove, with a full compliment of juniors, a new coach finding his feet, take a little while to gain momentum. Could possibly one result decide the fate of a club for many years to come. In 2001 when Pottsy came to Morphett Vale, our first 9 games we were 1-8. We went 5-4 against the same oppostion the next 9. 3 years later, the club was a powerhouse. Good to see the ideas being thrown around, but it cant be as simple as going by the table after 2/3's of a season.

It's the only fair way to do it unless you can think of another option? If a club deserves to be division 1 they will have to earn the right - if not bad luck!
O’Sullivan Beach F.C Est. 1975
Lonsdale F.C Est. 1977
O’Sullivan Beach/Lonsdale F.C Est. 2001
Premierships
A-Grade ~ 5
Reserves ~ 5
Juniors ~ 17
lion heart
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 62 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:08 pm

1983 wrote:
liverpool kiss wrote:wake up board your precious league is disolving before your eyes....

Step up or step aside...

A question that should probably be asked is, who would take over the current board positions? Is the reason for the SFL board being weak that no one else will put their hand up to go on the board? I know we struggle at times to get people to put their hand up to come on the board at our local club, is it any different with the SFL board? The SFL board needs an injection of younger, forward thinking heads along with some fresh old heads but is anyone prepared to do it? In my case I am flat out on the board at my own club and wouldn't have time to commit to the SFL board, I imagine this would be the case with most other passionate local footballers, volunteers and supporters.

Motion up at the AGM to expand the board, so I doubt there is a shortage of people looking to join
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:14 pm

lion heart wrote:
Leo wrote:

It's the only fair way to do it unless you can think of another option? If a club deserves to be division 1 they will have to earn the right - if not bad luck!

totally agree...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3039 times
Been liked: 2407 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:17 pm

Tubby wrote:

Numerous rumours do the rounds each year, over the past 5 years I have heard the following:

Hills FL
Kangarilla
Ironbank
Blackwood
Meadows
Macclesfield
Echunga

SAAFL
Plympton
PHOS Camden
Colonel Light Gardens (thanks to BFG)
Kenilworth
Adelaide Lutheran (!!)
Flinders Park
Mitchell Park
Glenunga
Mitcham
Cedars (who are these?)
Western Warriors (again who are these?)

New Starters
Woodcroft Old Collegians

So take your pick!
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Waterboy » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:20 pm

Looking at the agenda for the AGM it appears that it is the executive (Officers of the league) plus 5 other directors currently. If it's a 4 man executive that would make 9 directors. I think there are some proxy directors serving currently. There is an agenda item to expand it to the Officers of the league + 7 other directors + 3 proxy directors. That would make it 11 with voting rights plus 3 without.
Waterboy
Rookie

Been liked: 2 times

Re: Re: How strong is the SFL board

Postby heater31 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:26 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:
Tubby wrote:

Numerous rumours do the rounds each year, over the past 5 years I have heard the following:

Hills FL
Kangarilla
Ironbank
Blackwood
Meadows
Macclesfield
Echunga

SAAFL
Plympton
PHOS Camden
Kenilworth
Adelaide Lutheran (!!)
Flinders Park
Mitchell Park
Glenunga
Mitcham
Cedars (who are these?)

New Starters
Woodcroft Old Collegians

So take your pick!

Cedars and Western Warriors have folded.......
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby Waterboy » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:35 pm

Waterboy wrote:

Looking at the agenda for the AGM it appears that it is the executive (Officers of the league) plus 5 other directors currently. If it's a 4 man executive that would make 9 directors. I think there are some proxy directors serving currently. There is an agenda item to expand it to the Officers of the league + 7 other directors + 3 proxy directors. That would make it 11 with voting rights plus 3 without.

Just looked at the minutes of the last board meeting and there were 12 directors present so Shoe Boy was pretty close. Only half of them I reckon I'd know on sight though.
Waterboy
Rookie

Been liked: 2 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:40 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:Numerous rumours do the rounds each year, over the past 5 years I have heard the following:

Hills FL
Kangarilla
Ironbank
Blackwood
Meadows
Macclesfield
Echunga

SAAFL
Plympton
PHOS Camden
Kenilworth
Adelaide Lutheran (!!)
Flinders Park
Mitchell Park
Glenunga
Mitcham
Cedars (who are these?)

New Starters
Woodcroft Old Collegians

So take your pick!

no chance of plympton goin...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3039 times
Been liked: 2407 times

Postby words of wisdom » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:52 pm

lion heart wrote:

Sounds perfect im not sure how anyone could possibly argue against the proposal.

It is a good start but there would have to be more to it than that. What about all Div.1 clubs having to fill 18's,16's & 14's on the same day? Surely that would make it a stronger comp.
words of wisdom
League - Best 21

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 19 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Burr

Postby jjh » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:07 am

words of wisdom wrote:
lion heart wrote:

It is a good start but there would have to be more to it than that. What about all Div.1 clubs having to fill 18's,16's & 14's on the same day? Surely that would make it a stronger comp.

Agreed That would make it a far better comp
jjh
Mini-League

Postby shoe boy » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:02 am

words of wisdom wrote:
lion heart wrote:

That would be a requirement to part of div 1
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL