southern comp

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: southern comp

Postby Cheech » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:42 am

Old and Grey wrote:
croc11 wrote:
It is up to Sthn Hawks and Morphy Park as the first instance to improve (and get some juniors for a start - otherwise this will continue to occur for years and years) wherever you play and the rest of the clubs in the lower tier to strive for continued improvement.

Amen!

Well how about Morphettvale send some kids over to the Hawks, Reynella send some over to Lonsdale, Brighton send some over to Morphy Parks, Cove send some etc etc.

Its NOT their job to send kids over - how about working with the local schools to try and get them to your club, instead of just waiting for it to happen. The other reason why parents don't want to send their kids to Hawks, Lonsdale and Morphy pks is because they are under the impression the clubs are feral. Just have a look at a few incidents in the last couple of years - older blokes putting kids in hospital - what do you think that does for the image of those clubs.
Cheech
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby jimbo » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:16 pm

Hey cheech, name one time that a Morphy Pk player has put some one in hospital.
jimbo
Mini-League

Postby Old and Grey » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:35 pm

Cheech wrote:
Old and Grey wrote:
croc11 wrote:
It is up to Sthn Hawks and Morphy Park as the first instance to improve (and get some juniors for a start - otherwise this will continue to occur for years and years) wherever you play and the rest of the clubs in the lower tier to strive for continued improvement.

Amen!

Well how about Morphettvale send some kids over to the Hawks, Reynella send some over to Lonsdale, Brighton send some over to Morphy Parks, Cove send some etc etc.

Its NOT their job to send kids over - how about working with the local schools to try and get them to your club, instead of just waiting for it to happen. The other reason why parents don't want to send their kids to Hawks, Lonsdale and Morphy pks is because they are under the impression the clubs are feral. Just have a look at a few incidents in the last couple of years - older blokes putting kids in hospital - what do you think that does for the image of those clubs.

I bet these clubs are working twice as hard as the other to attract and get a side of juniors together and to impriove their images. What about the incidents with one of the top clubs from last year - Cove - ring any bells??
Old and Grey
Mini-League

Postby THE MOLE » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:53 pm

Old and Grey wrote:
Cheech wrote:
Old and Grey wrote:
croc11 wrote:

Amen!

I bet these clubs are working twice as hard as the other to attract and get a side of juniors together and to impriove their images. What about the incidents with one of the top clubs from last year - Cove - ring any bells??

Morphett Vale had an ugly incident aswell..........
It is the leagues job to even it up and the only people who dont want to even up the junior numbers are people who dont want an even competition..... as that is the only way it can happen
THE MOLE
Under 18s

Postby The Dutchman » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:05 pm

It is not "the leagues job" to even up the numbers. The competition has been set up and the clubs are responsible for their own welfare. Did you all choose or have a say in which school you went to? Its the same principle...you cannot make kids play for a certain club, nor should you split up mates, which could discourage them from playing footy at all. I am not saying the state of the competition is healthy, but not enough people are getting of their bums to do something about it. It is a cop out to say something is the leagues job. Be passionate about your club and initiate change!!! I would seriously doubt how family friendly many of the clubs are. Could this have something to do with the number of players/members each club has??? hmmm...
The Dutchman
Under 18s

Postby THE MOLE » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:17 pm

The Dutchman wrote:It is not "the leagues job" to even up the numbers. The competition has been set up and the clubs are responsible for their own welfare. Did you all choose or have a say in which school you went to? Its the same principle...you cannot make kids play for a certain club, nor should you split up mates, which could discourage them from playing footy at all. I am not saying the state of the competition is healthy, but not enough people are getting of their bums to do something about it. It is a cop out to say something is the leagues job. Be passionate about your club and initiate change!!! I would seriously doubt how family friendly many of the clubs are. Could this have something to do with the number of players/members each club has??? hmmm...

It would be in the leagues best interest if it was a more even competition, i think that a cap on the amount of players was set in the u11 u13s etc, then this would produce a more even competion in the long run. From what you are saying dutchman you must be from one of the stronger clubs, in a larger area, that doesnt have the struggles of attracting players and thinks stuff everyone else......
THE MOLE
Under 18s

Postby Swooper16 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:51 pm

THE MOLE wrote:
The Dutchman wrote:It is not "the leagues job" to even up the numbers. The competition has been set up and the clubs are responsible for their own welfare. Did you all choose or have a say in which school you went to? Its the same principle...you cannot make kids play for a certain club, nor should you split up mates, which could discourage them from playing footy at all. I am not saying the state of the competition is healthy, but not enough people are getting of their bums to do something about it. It is a cop out to say something is the leagues job. Be passionate about your club and initiate change!!! I would seriously doubt how family friendly many of the clubs are. Could this have something to do with the number of players/members each club has??? hmmm...

It would be in the leagues best interest if it was a more even competition, i think that a cap on the amount of players was set in the u11 u13s etc, then this would produce a more even competion in the long run. From what you are saying dutchman you must be from one of the stronger clubs, in a larger area, that doesnt have the struggles of attracting players and thinks stuff everyone else......

Whilst i can see the lonsdale, hackham etc point. i think it should be pointed out that Valleys and Emus juniors second sides are holding up the bottom of the ladder. If these kids upped sticks and went to the struggling clubs it probably wouldnt make much of a difference on the field. Personally i think the majority of kids playing in these second sides are doing so so they can play / train with their mates many of which are probly in their juniors first sides.

Also how does the league cap it? Do Morphies / Valleys etc have a couple of weeks tryouts in January then submit a playing squad of 30 to the SFL?? how would the other kids feel when a coach says sorry mate you can head to Hackham this season and all the best. i'm guessing those kids would just quit footy altogether. Its not up to Morphett Vale, Happy Valley, Brighton, Reynella to assist other clubs or encourage their juniors to play for other teams. All of the aforementioned clubs have struggled at some point in the last 15 years and are doing their best to stay on top at the moment.

its up to the struggling clubs to make their organisation more attractive to the juniors and their parents so that they may choose to play for them instead.
Swooper16
League - Best 21

Been liked: 2 times

Postby The Dutchman » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:30 pm

And from what you are saying Mole you are from a struggling club and blame the league for all of your downfalls, which is obviously not a positive way to improve the prosperity of your club. I would love to see a more even competition, but Swooper makes some good points. Telling our kids where they can play footy is not good for their development. Holding trials to determine which players are good/not good enough only puts the less skilled players at the clubs which are struggling at the moment, which would bridge the gap even further between top and bottom. So maybe you would vote for conscription Mole? Lets pull names out of a hat and tell our kids where they can play footy?
I'm not pretending to have all of the answers, but surely getting a dedicated and passionate group of people together to work on a solution is more positive than laying blame on the league and the conscription-like suggestions...
The Dutchman
Under 18s

Postby THE MOLE » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:57 pm

The Dutchman wrote:And from what you are saying Mole you are from a struggling club and blame the league for all of your downfalls, which is obviously not a positive way to improve the prosperity of your club. I would love to see a more even competition, but Swooper makes some good points. Telling our kids where they can play footy is not good for their development. Holding trials to determine which players are good/not good enough only puts the less skilled players at the clubs which are struggling at the moment, which would bridge the gap even further between top and bottom. So maybe you would vote for conscription Mole? Lets pull names out of a hat and tell our kids where they can play footy?
I'm not pretending to have all of the answers, but surely getting a dedicated and passionate group of people together to work on a solution is more positive than laying blame on the league and the conscription-like suggestions...

Im not with any club, like i have said before, if any club, i would have to say im from morphett vale, as i did win a premiership there. I am a big fan of the southern league, but not the way that it is being run at the moment, its not just about a club but the whole league. Just because i can look at the bigger picture and not eyed like others.
Vote for conscription, good comment, so what you are saying is that by telling people that they didnt make the cut, like at sanfl junior level, is not good for their devolopment?? What do you propose they do???
I dont think i have all the answers either, just disagree with the way the league is going, and look forward to it hopefully moving ahead and not backwards like it is at the moment
THE MOLE
Under 18s

Postby Swooper16 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:42 pm

THE MOLE wrote:
The Dutchman wrote:And from what you are saying Mole you are from a struggling club and blame the league for all of your downfalls, which is obviously not a positive way to improve the prosperity of your club. I would love to see a more even competition, but Swooper makes some good points. Telling our kids where they can play footy is not good for their development. Holding trials to determine which players are good/not good enough only puts the less skilled players at the clubs which are struggling at the moment, which would bridge the gap even further between top and bottom. So maybe you would vote for conscription Mole? Lets pull names out of a hat and tell our kids where they can play footy?

Im not with any club, like i have said before, if any club, i would have to say im from morphett vale, as i did win a premiership there. I am a big fan of the southern league, but not the way that it is being run at the moment, its not just about a club but the whole league. Just because i can look at the bigger picture and not eyed like others.
Vote for conscription, good comment, so what you are saying is that by telling people that they didnt make the cut, like at sanfl junior level, is not good for their devolopment?? What do you propose they do???
I dont think i have all the answers either, just disagree with the way the league is going, and look forward to it hopefully moving ahead and not backwards like it is at the moment

No-one from any club thinks that some of these floggings are a good thing. But I don’t think it is up to the successful clubs to lower their level of professionalism or commitment to junior football to enable a fairer comp. With having nothing to ever do with a football club committee or ever attending a SFL general meeting I would bet every $$$ I have that these stronger clubs would present detailed arguments why they should have a second junior team. Things like experienced coaches, guaranteed 2 trainings a week, regular new footy’s Guernseys etc, Junior club function nights and the best opportunity for kids to learn and enjoy their footy in a structured, successful environment.

Someone on here (may have been Lonsdale) posted something about them having a junior side knocked back in favour of a second Morphies side. This clearly isn’t a good thing but did their president demand a written explanation in writing why? Did they seek any recommendations from the league and if so are they already starting to work towards implementing these and presenting a stronger case for inclusion next season? Are they in constant contact with the SFL providing updates on what action they are taking?? It’s no coincidence that the clubs strongest on the field are also strongest off the field. A couple of seasons ago Flaggies made a concerted effort to rectify this aspect of their club which is why I believe they will improve significantly in seasons to come. Sounds like Aldinga have started to do the same thing. Until some clubs provide evidence that they are serious about moving forward they are probly not going to receive any assistance from anyone and the lower clubs will continue to struggle.

You cant penalise successful clubs for being just that. And you cant reward poor clubs because they don’t think its fair. This isn’t the AFL where the league can provide financial assistance to provide a fair comp its up to each and every club to look after their own backyard. If people are unhappy about the current situation then speak to your F*cking president, committee about what their doing to improve the clubs position. I’ve read upteen posts about why its not fair but none why a year 8 kid should choose to play at Lonsdale rather then Morphett Vale.
Swooper16
League - Best 21

Been liked: 2 times

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:53 pm

Swooper16 wrote:
THE MOLE wrote:

No-one from any club thinks that some of these floggings are a good thing. But I don’t think it is up to the successful clubs to lower their level of professionalism or commitment to junior football to enable a fairer comp. With having nothing to ever do with a football club committee or ever attending a SFL general meeting I would bet every $$$ I have that these stronger clubs would present detailed arguments why they should have a second junior team. Things like experienced coaches, guaranteed 2 trainings a week, regular new footy’s Guernseys etc, Junior club function nights and the best opportunity for kids to learn and enjoy their footy in a structured, successful environment.

Someone on here (may have been Lonsdale) posted something about them having a junior side knocked back in favour of a second Morphies side. This clearly isn’t a good thing but did their president demand a written explanation in writing why? Did they seek any recommendations from the league and if so are they already starting to work towards implementing these and presenting a stronger case for inclusion next season? Are they in constant contact with the SFL providing updates on what action they are taking?? It’s no coincidence that the clubs strongest on the field are also strongest off the field. A couple of seasons ago Flaggies made a concerted effort to rectify this aspect of their club which is why I believe they will improve significantly in seasons to come. Sounds like Aldinga have started to do the same thing. Until some clubs provide evidence that they are serious about moving forward they are probly not going to receive any assistance from anyone and the lower clubs will continue to struggle.

You cant penalise successful clubs for being just that. And you cant reward poor clubs because they don’t think its fair. This isn’t the AFL where the league can provide financial assistance to provide a fair comp its up to each and every club to look after their own backyard. If people are unhappy about the current situation then speak to your F*cking president, committee about what their doing to improve the clubs position. I’ve read upteen posts about why its not fair but none why a year 8 kid should choose to play at Lonsdale rather then Morphett Vale.

a written explanation in writing? What other kind is there Swoopdoggy dog!
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 68 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby Hasbeen » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:11 pm

Swooper16 wrote:
THE MOLE wrote:

Whilst i can see the lonsdale, hackham etc point. i think it should be pointed out that Valleys and Emus juniors second sides are holding up the bottom of the ladder. If these kids upped sticks and went to the struggling clubs it probably wouldnt make much of a difference on the field. Personally i think the majority of kids playing in these second sides are doing so so they can play / train with their mates many of which are probly in their juniors first sides.

Also how does the league cap it? Do Morphies / Valleys etc have a couple of weeks tryouts in January then submit a playing squad of 30 to the SFL?? how would the other kids feel when a coach says sorry mate you can head to Hackham this season and all the best. i'm guessing those kids would just quit footy altogether. Its not up to Morphett Vale, Happy Valley, Brighton, Reynella to assist other clubs or encourage their juniors to play for other teams. All of the aforementioned clubs have struggled at some point in the last 15 years and are doing their best to stay on top at the moment.

its up to the struggling clubs to make their organisation more attractive to the juniors and their parents so that they may choose to play for them instead.

The Amatuer League has a cap of 30 juniors per club per grade and that seems to work. Because how does a club like the Hawks compete for kids with a Team like Morphies who finish top each year. will these clubs like to play in a comp with 4 clubs that have 3 teams each and no other team has one?
Hasbeen
Rookie

Been liked: 3 times

Postby Old and Grey » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:06 am

Hasbeen wrote:The Amatuer League has a cap of 30 juniors per club per grade and that seems to work. Because how does a club like the Hawks compete for kids with a Team like Morphies who finish top each year. will these clubs like to play in a comp with 4 clubs that have 3 teams each and no other team has one?

Here, here.
Old and Grey
Mini-League

Postby The Dutchman » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:40 am

If it works for the amateur league then maybe it has some merit and could be looked at in more detail. I would hate for the clubs that have worked hard to get to where they are to be disadvantaged by such new rules. Clubs build wining cultures, they dont happen overnight, and it is only natural that kids in the area want to play for that club. Clubs like Hackham need to take some responsibility for their current position, and handing them players seems a bit like charity. But maybe this is the only way these clubs can get back on their feet.

Would be interested to know what happens if there was a cap of junior players, and, for example, a 300 gamer wants his son to play for the same club as he did and his son isnt good enough to make the cut. What if you want your boy to play for a certain club because you are a member of that club? What if you agree with the future direction of the club you want your son to play for? What if your son can walk to training after school at one club, and it is too far to walk to another club? What if, as a parent, you are friends with other parents who's children are playing at a certain club? Would you want your kid to be coached by some of the jokers at some of the lesser clubs? Not good for their development i would have thought.

I think capping the number of kids will make a lot of people disinterested!!!! I feel for the current state of the comp but people have to be able to make their own choices...and not have them made for them!
The Dutchman
Under 18s

Postby bandar » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:30 am

Hasbeen wrote:
The Amatuer League has a cap of 30 juniors per club per grade and that seems to work. Because how does a club like the Hawks compete for kids with a Team like Morphies who finish top each year. will these clubs like to play in a comp with 4 clubs that have 3 teams each and no other team has one?

Actually the Amatuer league only runs an under 17 and under 18 comp. Below that is run by seperate junior bodies like the metro south junior football league etc. The MSJFL caps players but it has also only been going for a short period of time. There is no guarantee that the players that don't make the squads of the stronger clubs will continue to play but it stops a club from stock piling players and making the comp a farce.
bandar
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 27 times
Grassroots Team: PHOS Camden

Postby On The Ball » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:20 pm

Excellent Post Dutchman!!!!!
On The Ball

Postby TOMCAT » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:49 am

Excellent debate all you guys. Junior footy is our future! The future of the game! The future of the club you love! The club I belong to does not take it seriously enough. I think that the clubs that put good junior programs together eg. Aldingas Sunday primary school comp, are the ones who are serious about bringing up young lads & inducting them into the U/14 to U/18 footy culture. Its only that way your clubs going to survive, because whether you like it or not it is the strong who survive & eventually succeed.
Lots of factors have to be taken into account. What junior would want to play for Hackham at the moment when a short bike ride away is a very strong club ie Emus?
Not only is playing with your mates or were your old man played a factor but admit it, we all know crew who shop around looking for premierships, its Human Nature to want to be suuccessful. (Though I hate flag shoppers!)
I have more questions than answers but attracting new players is the KEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Getting them away from backward soft games like soccer is a start!
VOTE 1 BIGLANDS FOR EL PRESIDENTE!!!
TOMCAT

Postby oxa » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:59 am

its called father son rule
oxa

Has liked: 3 times

Postby TOMCAT » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:01 pm

Oxa, I dont know what your on but share it around you holdout!
VOTE 1 BIGLANDS FOR EL PRESIDENTE!!!
TOMCAT

Postby MatteeG » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:43 pm

Have to pay that avatar Old and Grey- good job!!
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Previous

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL