Day Night Test cricket at Adelaide Oval

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Day Night Test cricket at Adelaide Oval

Postby Booney » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:05 am

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/australi ... 2015-06-30

Australia and New Zealand confirmed to play Test under lights with a pink ball in November while Chappell-Hadlee Trophy is reinvigorated

The Adelaide Oval will host the first ever day-night Test match when Australia host New Zealand from November 27. The historic event will be the third of a three-Test series against the Black Caps on Australian soil this summer and will be the first to be played under lights and with a pink Kookaburra ball. The match headlines a six-Test summer schedule released by Cricket Australia today, with the series against New Zealand followed by three Tests against West Indies that includes the marquee Boxing Day and New Year's matches. Quick Single: Summer Test schedule and venues confirmed Cricket Australia chief executive James Sutherland said the day-night Test puts fans first, with more spectators able to attend or watch on television. "One of the global challenges with Test cricket is that most of the matches outside holiday periods are played on week days, in the middle of the day when people are at work and kids are at school," Sutherland said. "By shifting the playing times each day's play can go into the evening and allow people to come in after work or after school to attend the last few hours of play, but also when they get home in other parts of the world or other parts of the country, they can watch the game on TV."

A start time for the day-night Test is still under consideration and not yet confirmed, but one possible scenario would see play start at 2.30pm and run until 9.30pm Adelaide time. That would mean play would be from 3pm to 10pm in Melbourne and Sydney, 2pm to 9pm in Brisbane, noon to 7pm in Perth and 5pm to midnight in New Zealand. In another break from Test cricket tradition, the longer 40-minute interval, known as 'lunch' in day Tests, could now be held between the second and third sessions, and would be known as 'dinner'. The 20-minute break for tea would retain the same name, but it would be held between the first and second sessions in the day-night Test. Quick Single: Day-night revolution keeps Tests relevant New Zealand Cricket chief executive David White labelled the move "another step forward in the evolution of the game". "Since the first Test in 1877 there have been numerous changes to the laws and rules in an effort to ensure the game remains relevant – and this is another," White said. "As administrators we owe it to the game to keep exploring ways of moving forward."

Negotiations to secure the day-night Test have brought Cricket Australia and New Zealand Cricket closer together, also resulting in a commitment to stage six Chappell-Hadlee Trophy ODI series over the next four years. Each series will be three matches – a total of 18 games in the time frame – with New Zealand to host four series, starting in early 2016, and Australia two others. The day-night Test will not only be historic, but the opening day will also be a poignant one for the Australian team – it will be 12 months to the day that Phillip Hughes tragically passed away. The late batsman, a close friend as well as teammate of many of the Australian players, died two days after he was struck by a short ball while batting in a Sheffield Shield match between NSW and South Australia at the SCG last year. Last summer's Adelaide Test, the first of a hastily rearranged summer following Hughes's passing, was an emotional affair with David Warner, Steve Smith and Michael Clarke all scoring centuries in tribute to their fallen mate. Quick Single: Coffs Harbour to host Hughes tribute match Concerns over the pink ball, expressed by players from both sides, are hoped to be alleviated by a series of fixtures ahead of the Test match. "We've worked very closely with the Australian Cricketers' Association and Kookaburra in the development of the ball and its continued upgrade to make it ready," said Sutherland. "We'll make sure that the players from both teams are well prepared. We're working really closely with New Zealand Cricket in giving them the right tour matches and preparation before the ultimate day-night Test which is the last of the series. "And similarly with our players. A number of our players have already had experience through Shield cricket. "But those that haven't, we'll be finding opportunities for them to play with the pink balls and also to play under lights as well."

Those opportunities are expected to include another round of day-night Shield cricket before the Test series – an addition to the schedule that Australian Cricketers' Association chief executive Alistair Nicholson wholeheartedly endorsed. "The feedback from players in the Sheffield Shield trials to date have yielded a range of opinions but we've been pleased that their input has helped drive development in the quality of the pink balls and the match conditions generally," Nicholson said. "Our focus has been on player safety and ensuring an even contest between bat and ball, and the upcoming matches for those in the Australian squad who are yet to play under these conditions will also be important. "There is an appetite for the concept and it's crucial that those playing in this format have a strong voice in how it develops." New Zealand Cricket Players Association chief executive Heath Mills said while players had reservations about the day-night concept, an enhanced trans-Tasman agreement was a "fantastic outcome for the game". "It's fair to say our players are nervous about the day-night Test. It's uncharted territory and because of that there will be uncertainty and apprehension," said Mills. "However, whilst the players have reservations about the concept, they can see the bigger picture in the new agreement, and the greater good it brings to all levels of the game." Nine Entertainment Company chief executive David Gyngell also welcomed the concept. "Bring it on,” Gyngell said. “Evolution is everything in elite sport and its coverage, and it's up to us all to think outside the square and meet these challenges. "Let's give it a red-hot go and see what develops."

The Summer of cricket ahead :

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/australi ... 2015-06-30
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7526 times
Been liked: 10834 times

Re: Day Night Test cricket at Adelaide Oval

Postby RustyCage » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:11 am

Can't wait, it's a great idea and have loved heading to the Adelaide Oval for the d/n shield matches
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435617688.825700.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435617688.825700.jpg (342.13 KiB) Viewed 707 times
RustyCage

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435617707.391140.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435617707.391140.jpg (321.44 KiB) Viewed 706 times
RustyCage

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:39 am

I too am looking forward to it.

This is a great way to increase the exposure of test cricket to more peoople.

Not sure what the ball is going to be like, hopefully it doesnt affect the game too much. Even if it does though, I think it is worth giving up a little bit on a select few fixtures in order to have something different.

Im not a SACA member, and so go to a day of the test maybe once every couple of years, but ill definitely be making sure I go. Knocking off work early on a Friday and heading into the city will be awesome.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Jim05 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:53 am

Still not sold on it yet purely because of the ball factor. Dont think they have perfected it quite yet. Just hope it doesnt affect the game. Should get a decent crowd
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1127 times
Been liked: 3567 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:59 am

I only saw a bit of the last round of shield games on the live stream, but if i remember correctly the ball got a lot softer quicker, So that made scoring a lot tougher with the old ball?

May mean two spinners get picked and scoring at the end of the night could get a little tough.

Having said that, (besides the obvious advantages with our time zone) the pitch characteristics probably make it a perfect venue as the game would be less affected by a softer ball than say Brisbane where it could change the game a lot more
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:26 pm

I'll be going. We may aswell embrace change.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4348 times
Been liked: 7942 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:37 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:I'll be going. We may aswell embrace change.

That could be the first time this sentence has ever been uttered in safooty :)
bennymacca
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:05 pm

bennymacca wrote:

Only embrace it when it's needed not just for the sake of it

In the case of test match cricket as u said it does offer the oppurtunity to expose so many more people to test cricket, plus going in the evening will make a much better drinking session with the lads, and should provide larger crowds

I'm for it provided they can get the ball right which at this stage is doubtful but definatly worth a crack at
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5615 times
Been liked: 2542 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Booney » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:09 pm

bennymacca wrote:

:lol:

I too will be heading along. 90 overs from mid afternoon onwards? *HICCUP*
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:09 pm

Already thinking about knocking off lunchtime Friday arvo and putting in a decent session :)
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:32 pm

bennymacca wrote:Already thinking about knocking off lunchtime Friday arvo and putting in a decent session :)

This Friday? Where we going? :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby heater31 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:33 pm

Jim05 wrote:Still not sold on it yet purely because of the ball factor. Dont think they have perfected it quite yet. Just hope it doesnt affect the game. Should get a decent crowd

Adelaide Cricket fans shafted again!! Hopefully the players complain enough that this is just a once off. Went to a couple of sessions of the Shield match and spoken to players involved. The ball used is inferior and a terrible spectacle for the fans at the ground

Red Ball and Cream clothing is for Test Cricket
White Ball and coloured clothing is for everything else
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:35 pm

Hehe. I have about 4 months till the birth of my first, so literally anywhere outside of the house will do for me

I tell you what Thursday night footy wasn't a great idea :)

Luckily I had some flex built up and my boss didn't mind me emailing her at 10am Friday and telling her I wasn't coming in
bennymacca
Coach

Postby cennals05 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:06 pm

I don't think I like this. Where am I going to get my annual sunburn from now? It will be good for crowd numbers but not for people that LOVE Test Cricket. It doesn't sound like the players like it either.
cennals05
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 248 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:22 pm

It will be good for my work because it will mean I get something done before the cricket comes on
bennymacca
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:01 pm

cennals05 wrote:I don't think I like this. Where am I going to get my annual sunburn from now? It will be good for crowd numbers but not for people that LOVE Test Cricket. It doesn't sound like the players like it either.

Could definatly see why the players might not like it
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5615 times
Been liked: 2542 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:09 pm

IF they can get the ball right, and it's a bit IF, I can't see too many downsides to it.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby heater31 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:24 pm

bennymacca wrote:IF they can get the ball right, and it's a bit IF, I can't see too many downsides to it.

I can. More pissed up idiots at the game with no clue and only there because its the "in" thing to do.....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Next

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket