Aussie Test Side

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Aussie Test Side

Postby whufc » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:43 pm

After such a huge series win we now have the unusual situation of there being no test cricket for 7 months for our national side.

Could the massive gap between series end or extended the careers of the likes of Rogers, Haddin, Harris.

with the next series being in Dubai and pitches that take spin the last few shield games may be a chance for an O'Keefe, Ahmed etc to earn a spot on the tour.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5625 times
Been liked: 2544 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Re: Aussie Test Side

Postby heater31 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:50 pm

Are Australia A playing either at home or away during the next 7 months?

Rogers will be surely heading back to Middlesex for the winter.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby Failed Creation » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:56 pm

whufc wrote:After such a huge series win we now have the unusual situation of there being no test cricket for 7 months for our national side.

Could the massive gap between series end or extended the careers of the likes of Rogers, Haddin, Harris.

with the next series being in Dubai and pitches that take spin the last few shield games may be a chance for an O'Keefe, Ahmed etc to earn a spot on the tour.

I say bugger O'Keefe and Ahmed. Let the Blonde Don be our second spinner.

Personally, I think he shows enough talent with the ball, that if he really worked on it and had the right coach (hopefully Warne) to guide him, he could be quite effective.

The problem with Lyon is that although he was tighter than a hangman's noose this morning, he never really looked like getting any Saffers out, whereas I always felt that Smith gave us that chance. Sure, Smith will bowl a 4-ball or two in an over, and that can be remedied with more practice, but he has a good technique, good loop and puts enough work on the ball. Lyon, for the most part, is merely a containment bowler.

It would be good to see them both work with 4 pace bowlers, and keep them all fresh.
Politicians kissing babies for good luck,
TV preachers sell salvation for a buck.
You don't need no golden cross to tell you wrong from right,
The world's worst murderers were those who saw the light.
Failed Creation
Coach

Has liked: 3309 times
Been liked: 613 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby Jim05 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:01 pm

Failed Creation wrote:
whufc wrote:After such a huge series win we now have the unusual situation of there being no test cricket for 7 months for our national side.

I say bugger O'Keefe and Ahmed. Let the Blonde Don be our second spinner.

Personally, I think he shows enough talent with the ball, that if he really worked on it and had the right coach (hopefully Warne) to guide him, he could be quite effective.

The problem with Lyon is that although he was tighter than a hangman's noose this morning, he never really looked like getting any Saffers out, whereas I always felt that Smith gave us that chance. Sure, Smith will bowl a 4-ball or two in an over, and that can be remedied with more practice, but he has a good technique, good loop and puts enough work on the ball. Lyon, for the most part, is merely a containment bowler.

It would be good to see them both work with 4 pace bowlers, and keep them all fresh.

The trouble is being a good leggie takes a lot of hard work and I reckon it would be at the sacrifice of his batting. Remember Smith started as a bowling allrounder the same as Cam White, once both gave up bowling and concentrated on their batting they have improved out of sight. Cant see Smith being anything other than a part timer with the ball now
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1127 times
Been liked: 3570 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby whufc » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:05 pm

I think heading into the Dubai having the 3 pacemen

Johnson
Harris
Pattinson

with some assistance from Watson

and then having both Lyon and Smith bowling spin leaves us with a perfectly balanced attack for those conditions and more importantly doesn't sacrifice bowling depth.
whufc
Coach

Postby westcoastpanther » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:10 pm

From the CA website summary

But within sight of tea, and having batted for just over two and half hours, du Plessis missed a perfectly flighted legspinner from Steve Smith, perhaps caught unawares by the fact Smith – who had already unveiled his full repertoire of full bungers and long hops – landed one with the first ball of his spell.

Get your hands off it fellas, not to be relied on. Agree with Jim
Hi, My name is Ron 'Bluey' Dunn. Did you know I played in the 61 & 62 Tasman Premiership sides....
westcoastpanther
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 150 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby whufc » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:13 pm

westcoastpanther wrote:From the CA website summary

But within sight of tea, and having batted for just over two and half hours, du Plessis missed a perfectly flighted legspinner from Steve Smith, perhaps caught unawares by the fact Smith – who had already unveiled his full repertoire of full bungers and long hops – landed one with the first ball of his spell.

Agree the way he was used by Clarke this series is perfectly how he should be used.
whufc
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:50 pm

whufc wrote:
westcoastpanther wrote:From the CA website summary

Agree the way he was used by Clarke this series is perfectly how he should be used.

Pup didn't get much wrong the whole series tactics wise but I thought he batted too long in the third test. Turns out he made the almost perfect declaration. I thought I sniffed a whiff of defensive cricket and the odor was unpalatable.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1705 times
Been liked: 1823 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:02 am

if pup's back wasnt buggered he would be the perfect second spinner, but unfortunately we dont have that option.

i think it would have to be a raging turner to leave out pattinson for okeefe or ahmed though, especially when smith and warner can give you 10-15 overs between them.

as a part time leggie you always have to expect half trackers, but a lot of the time you arent relying on them to keep the runs down, you want to change the game up and get a wicket, and thats exactly what smith can do. with lyon and watson able to bowl a ton of very tight overs, i really dont think we need a second spinner on pitches other than in india.

cant remember exactly what its like in dubai, but my impression is that it is just slow and low rather than dustbowls, so i think we can play our 4 seamers (with watson) then lyon and the part timers.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:36 am

7 months eh? Yep, too much cricket.
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:05 am

The Sleeping Giant wrote:7 months eh? Yep, too much cricket.

world T20 and IPL in the meantime
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:06 am

I said cricket. Not hit and giggle.
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach