England vs Australia ODI squad named

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: England vs Australia ODI squad named

Postby wristwatcher » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:05 am

England after 32 overs 2/200 finish on 8/300.

Mitchell Stark is rightfully the number 1 ODI bowler in the world based on his last 12 months. He is a gun but maybe needs a rest as he bowled an array of puss I have not seen him offer up ever before going for 0/64 off his first 8 before rallying in his last 2 to finish with 1/79

Pat Cummins came back after being 5-0-30-0 to finish with 2/50 from 10 and looked good, real good and real quick.

Glenn Maxwells fielding was a standout, saved a lot of runs and created a real infield presence. Bowled very well also with 2/56 off his 10. Claimed the wicket of Morgan to halt England's ascendancy.

As I mentioned previously Wades glove work was at times embarrassing and is the worst I have seen for Australia since Wayne Phillips who was really a batsmen made to become a keeper. I watched him fumble 3 balls off of one Pat Cummins over. I haven't seen someone not read the ball that beats the bat so poorly at even Domestic level.

If we chase this down its like most Pommy ODI's these days. It's one that got away. Should have been a lot closer to 350 than 300. Have left the door open but it's still runs on the board. With Pattinson at 11 it's a fair batting line up that should give it a shake.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 851 times

Postby Grahaml » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:46 am

wristwatcher wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:Great catch Maxi. Made that look a lot easier than it was. Very cool take as it was travelling.

I know he has played a few tests already, but is he a chance to come back in at number 6 at all?

No chance at all. Is a World X1 short form player but not even in our test second 11. Maybe as a professional 12th man :)

How bad is Wades keeping. I figured it had improved as he is playing for his country again but his hands are still not technically sound. Horrid miss stumping of Morgan, brutally bad :oops:

Maxwell is absolutely a chance to play more tests. Averages north or 40 at first class level and I think that will only improve as he works a few things out. Handy with the ball and in the field, he could be at least as valuable as Symonds was. I distinctly remember people saying the same things about him back in the day and he proved them to be well off the mark. The thing that Maxwell has in his favour is he is a very clever cricketer. He's constantly trying to read the opponents to outwit them. It's how he gets most of his wickets. However, he seems to get caught too much in trying to out think bowlers when he's batting in the longer forms rather than just playing the ball on its merits. Certainly a better batting option at 6 than anyone named Marsh.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:42 am

Grahaml wrote:
Maxwell is absolutely a chance to play more tests. Averages north or 40 at first class level and I think that will only improve as he works a few things out. Handy with the ball and in the field, he could be at least as valuable as Symonds was. I distinctly remember people saying the same things about him back in the day and he proved them to be well off the mark. The thing that Maxwell has in his favour is he is a very clever cricketer. He's constantly trying to read the opponents to outwit them. It's how he gets most of his wickets. However, he seems to get caught too much in trying to out think bowlers when he's batting in the longer forms rather than just playing the ball on its merits. Certainly a better batting option at 6 than anyone named Marsh.

Unfortunately an average of over 40 isn't as good as it sounds given the flat aussie decks and the often poor attacks getting around at shield level due to half of the country's best bowlers are generally injured.
We should get a north island and a south island team from New Zealand to enter our shield comp to vary up the conditions for when we travel.........................and to get the Redbacks off the bottom of the table.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4348 times
Been liked: 7942 times

Postby wristwatcher » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:03 am

Grahaml wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:Great catch Maxi. Made that look a lot easier than it was. Very cool take as it was travelling.

I know he has played a few tests already, but is he a chance to come back in at number 6 at all?

No chance at all. Is a World X1 short form player but not even in our test second 11. Maybe as a professional 12th man :)

How bad is Wades keeping. I figured it had improved as he is playing for his country again but his hands are still not technically sound. Horrid miss stumping of Morgan, brutally bad :oops:

A chance way down the road. He currently averages 13 in test cricket.

With the loss of both openers and Wato for Bangladesh and their dry dusty wickets he would have to be more chance there than anywhere to get a game but I can't see him getting a game until he had a genuine break out shield season with the bat.

This is a bloke who left a ball and it hit middle and leg. I think sometimes people can get their forms of the game a little muddled. I'd rather see a genuine batsmen in there.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:05 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Grahaml wrote:

Unfortunately an average of over 40 isn't as good as it sounds given the flat aussie decks and the often poor attacks getting around at shield level due to half of the country's best bowlers are generally injured.
We should get a north island and a south island team from New Zealand to enter our shield comp to vary up the conditions for when we travel.........................and to get the Redbacks off the bottom of the table.

Well then why doesn't every shield batsman average 40?
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:16 am

bennymacca wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Grahaml wrote:

Well then why doesn't every shield batsman average 40?

Because they are poop, hence we got pantsed by the poms off shore.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:22 am

Hehe fair.

I reckon on spinning decks they could play maxwell ahead of marsh, this Bangladesh squad announcement is probably the most interesting in memory, I can't remember a time when it was so wide open for spots
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:25 pm

bennymacca wrote:Hehe fair.

I reckon on spinning decks they could play maxwell ahead of marsh, this Bangladesh squad announcement is probably the most interesting in memory, I can't remember a time when it was so wide open for spots

It will be but it will have more negatives than positives in the long run.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Grahaml » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:07 pm

wristwatcher wrote:

With the loss of both openers and Wato for Bangladesh and their dry dusty wickets he would have to be more chance there than anywhere to get a game but I can't see him getting a game until he had a genuine break out shield season with the bat.

This is a bloke who left a ball and it hit middle and leg. I think sometimes people can get their forms of the game a little muddled. I'd rather see a genuine batsmen in there.

Averages 13 in 3 tests. Hardly a big sample.

The highlighted section though is comedy gold. That was a T20 game. And you think others get their forms of the game muddled up?
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby RB » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:15 pm

Maxwell needs to improve his shot selection enormously if he is to be even a half-decent test player. In the UAE last year he was atrocious.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 772 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Postby The Bedge » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:39 pm

Maxwell could potentially become another Warner type person at test cricket.

FWIW I cant stand the bloke and wouldn't want him in the side, but you cant deny he has an uncanny ability to whack a ball lol, and can be a dangerous batsman.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3196 times
Been liked: 4040 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:47 pm

Zartan wrote:Maxwell could potentially become another Warner type person at test cricket.

FWIW I cant stand the bloke and wouldn't want him in the side, but you cant deny he has an uncanny ability to whack a ball lol, and can be a dangerous batsman.

I think he needs a bogan personal trainer girlfriend that we need to hear about every seven seconds to get him back on track :)
bennymacca
Coach

Postby wristwatcher » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:17 pm

Grahaml wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:

The highlighted section though is comedy gold. That was a T20 game. And you think others get their forms of the game muddled up?

He has been total puss in tests that's why it's not a bigger sample.

I am quite clear it was a 20/20 game. It's just the worst leave in the history of cricket. The ability to leave the ball is a required skill in Test cricket. Does it make sense now chuckles. You want a guy picked for Test cricket based on one day form.

Is it a tough concept for you to deal with that to wear the baggy green you need to earn it in whites and not from pyjama wearing shits and giggles or even one day cricket.
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:21 pm

wristwatcher wrote:Is it a tough concept for you to deal with that to wear the baggy green you need to earn it in whites and not from pyjama wearing shits and giggles or even one day cricket.

That concept disappeared a long time ago I'm afraid..
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3196 times
Been liked: 4040 times

Postby wristwatcher » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:16 pm

Zartan wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:Is it a tough concept for you to deal with that to wear the baggy green you need to earn it in whites and not from pyjama wearing shits and giggles or even one day cricket.

That concept disappeared a long time ago I'm afraid..

Probably explains how we lost the Ashes as much as anything unfortunately
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:44 pm

wristwatcher wrote:
Grahaml wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:

I am quite clear it was a 20/20 game. It's just the worst leave in the history of cricket. The ability to leave the ball is a required skill in Test cricket. Does it make sense now chuckles. You want a guy picked for Test cricket based on one day form.

Is it a tough concept for you to deal with that to wear the baggy green you need to earn it in whites and not from pyjama wearing shits and giggles or even one day cricket.

Warner smith Starc Lyon all say hi
bennymacca
Coach

Postby wristwatcher » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:29 pm

bennymacca wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:
Grahaml wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:

Warner smith Starc Lyon all say hi

Warner had proven himself before getting a test cap
Smith had clearly put mountains of runs on the board before he had test success
Starc had also bowled his way into contention
Lyon got a gig via default as we simply didn't have a decent spinner

They all play for NSW also so in that case you get your baggy green before the baggy blue.

I also find the ever growing trend of "they say hi" up there with use of the word "Bae", every third footballer being a "Freak" and the term "Totes Amazeballs"
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:34 pm

totes amazeballs post bae, that is like super kewl
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Gozu » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:35 am

bennymacca wrote:totes amazeballs post bae, that is like super kewl

whatevs don't get jelly

3rd ODI

England 8/300

Taylor 101 (114)
Roy 63 (45)
Morgan 62 (56)

Cummins 2/50
Maxwell 2/56

Australia 207 (44)

Finch 53 (60)
Wade 42 (41)

Ali 3/32
Plunkett 3/60

England won by 93 runs

MOTM: James Taylor

Australia lead the series 2-1
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby tigerpie » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:42 pm

Lucky wade can bat cause his keeping is appalling!
I don't think I've ever seen an Australian keeper get hit by the ball so often rather than gloving it!
Good luck spinners!
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 506 times
Been liked: 432 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket