Steve Smith Australian Test Captain

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Steve Smith Australian Test Captain

Postby heater31 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:36 am

Footy Smart wrote:
whufc wrote:Great reward for persistence and never say die attitude

Much like Phil Hughes he brings a backyard technique to the game which is refreshing to see

Once again Steve Smith is following in the great dons footsteps

It is a shame WCP and TSG rarely if ever post in the cricket threads

WHUFC you mentioned backyard techniques, a fascinating read is a book called First Tests: Great Australian Cricketers and the Backyards That Made Them.

Quick overview of the book: Australia has dominated test cricket over the last 130 years. But it's not the formal cricket academies or high-end sports coaching that are responsible for the Australian cricket team's winning ways. The backyard has been the real academy of Australian cricket. Don Bradman's unique grip, stance and backlift all evolved in response to the pace at which the golf ball rebounded off the tank stand in his backyard games. Greg Chappell's unique flick off the hip shot came about because the leg side of his backyard wicket offered the best scoring opportunities. Alan Davidson bowled accurately because he had to: if he missed the stumps on his home-made pitch, he had to chase the ball down the hill into the scrub. Doug Walters played spin with ease because his ant-bed backyard pitch spun like a top. Neil Harvey's immaculate footwork came from playing balls darting off cobblestones in his back lane.

Nice, easy read for those who are interested

Waugh boys, Steve was good off the back foot on the off side as brother Dean would bowl to him. Mark batting at the other end was good off his legs as their other brother Danny was left handed at bowling.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby whufc » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:38 am

Sounds awesome, thanks heaps will search the net tonight for a copy

All coaches I have had have said I had a very solid technique but it also had its little kinks

I'm much stronger through the offside as being a left handed the left side was a lot more open in our backyard. As it was very dusty we bowled a lot more spin on it pretending to play in India, Sydney etc etc needless to say I happen to play the spinners a lot better than the pace (weird for an opener hey)

Backyard cricket defiantly has a huge make up in technique imho
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5611 times
Been liked: 2538 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:01 pm

It is. I have it in my collection. Written by Steve Kinnane, it goes from Victor Trumper, through to Clarrie Grimmett, onto the Harvey brothers and then the Lee brothers, among others.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby am Bays » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:17 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:It is. I have it in my collection. Written by Steve Kinnane, it goes from Victor Trumper, through to Clarrie Grimmett, onto the Harvey brothers and then the Lee brothers, among others.

yep a great book

One of the other great nurseries for Australina cricket is the school yard. There you learnt to value your wicket as if you got out you might not get a bat for another two days at least.... You also learnt how to sledge and defend if things got "interesting" (the pitch got shorter, along with the bowling and more elbow was put into it :D ).

Another great book I've just finished is Never a Gentlemens Game by Malcolm Knox - Australian cricket from 1870 to1914.

if you think throwing controversies, poor behaviour on tours, Misterious illnessess on tour (think "downstairs"), player v administrator disputes, player strikes, interstate spats (the founding states and the new states and between the NSWCA v VCA v MCC), player payment issues, dodgy selections, poor crowd behaviour (riots), parachial press, private cricket troops, and poor umpiring are a new phenomenom in Australian cricket think again.....

However back on topic, Steve Smith is an excellent choice as captain given that Clarkey realistically will not be seen on a cricket pitch before April if ever.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1830 times

Postby whufc » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:26 pm

westcoastpanther wrote:
MatteeG wrote:I came here just to see WCP's take on this development.

Got no problem with this at all. WHUFC knows what my original beef was, and he even agreed with it the other day, yet he still likes to make himself look like the cricket guru.

But rich though coming from the poster who started arguably the first ever thread on a player being dropped from a minor one day series
whufc
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:31 pm

whufc wrote:Sounds awesome, thanks heaps will search the net tonight for a copy

All coaches I have had have said I had a very solid technique but it also had its little kinks

I'm much stronger through the offside as being a left handed the left side was a lot more open in our backyard. As it was very dusty we bowled a lot more spin on it pretending to play in India, Sydney etc etc needless to say I happen to play the spinners a lot better than the pace (weird for an opener hey)

Backyard cricket defiantly has a huge make up in technique imho

its probably just coincidence that cow corner was the best area for scoring in our backyard :D

(though a cut shot was straight into the house and hence auto slips, so i tend to hit a cut shot in front of square)
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby am Bays » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:27 pm

At least Smith has some test match experience before he captians his first test unlike poor Dave Gregory....
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1830 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:48 pm

am Bays wrote:At least Smith has some test match experience before he captians his first test unlike poor Dave Gregory....

Even he wasn't first choice, though.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:49 pm

am Bays wrote: Another great book I've just finished is Never a Gentlemens Game by Malcolm Knox - Australian cricket from 1870 to1914.

I have that one as well. I really enjoyed it - put a few myths away.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby westcoastpanther » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:09 pm

whufc wrote:
westcoastpanther wrote:
MatteeG wrote:I came here just to see WCP's take on this development.

Got no problem with this at all. WHUFC knows what my original beef was, and he even agreed with it the other day, yet he still likes to make himself look like the cricket guru.

But rich though coming from the poster who started arguably the first ever thread on a player being dropped from a minor one day series

as I stated on that thread, the fact it only had a ;) on it indicated it was firmly tongue in cheek, but you keep going with your self gratification
Hi, My name is Ron 'Bluey' Dunn. Did you know I played in the 61 & 62 Tasman Premiership sides....
westcoastpanther
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 150 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby locky801 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:27 pm

Has had a debut captain day of horrors and no fault of his own, dropped catches, injuries, can only get better from here
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3765 times
Been liked: 1180 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:53 pm

locky801 wrote:Has had a debut captain day of horrors and no fault of his own, dropped catches, injuries, can only get better from here

Only made two errors. Bowling Warner's medium pace was ridiculous. Bowl yourself before that rubbish skip. And I thought he was a bit too defensive when Lyon came into the attack and yeah I know the commentators flogged that one.

regards,

Rik.
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1699 times
Been liked: 1819 times

Postby whufc » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:35 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
locky801 wrote:Has had a debut captain day of horrors and no fault of his own, dropped catches, injuries, can only get better from here

Only made two errors. Bowling Warner's medium pace was ridiculous. Bowl yourself before that rubbish skip. And I thought he was a bit too defensive when Lyon came into the attack and yeah I know the commentators flogged that one.

regards,

Rik.

Hopefully with confidence will come the ability to be more agressive, all things considering I think it was a par performance for him as skip
whufc
Coach

Postby locky801 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:21 pm

Showed alot of class today
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach