Big Bash set to move to Ten + No love for Ryobi Cup

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Big Bash set to move to Ten + No love for Ryobi Cup

Postby colliver69 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:11 pm

CA are in negotiations with a company (shall remain nameless as it is irrelevant) to produce Ryobi Cup and Tour matches in 2013-14.
What platform these go out is unknown at this stage. Most likely CA website, and highly likely to India (ESPN Star cricket) who are keen to still have it on tv (presume for the Bombay bookies) and would a decent rights fee.
In my view the ABC could get the Ryobi Cup for a song as FOX SPORTS at this stage don't want it, as they have the sh--s losing the BBL. But FOX may change their mind given losing 25 Ryobi Cup matches is a whole lot of hours of programming. CA would pick up the production costs and then regain the money from Rights fees. Hence it would also save FOX a stack and they'd still retain content.

It appears the Ryobi Cup will be played on most days in October, to give Sponsors maximum exposure ahead of the Ashes and BBL.
Then Shield gets going in late October/early November in time for 2-3 rounds before Gabba Test. Some Shield matches until the
BBL which is still expeted to start on Friday Dec 20

Just an educated/calculated guess based on a little info I have..............more to come as I get it true cricket fans.
Check out http://www.countryfooty.com.au - the home of SA Country Footy on the net
colliver69
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Postby MAY-Z » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:23 pm

colliver69 wrote:CA are in negotiations with a company (shall remain nameless as it is irrelevant) to produce Ryobi Cup and Tour matches in 2013-14.
What platform these go out is unknown at this stage. Most likely CA website, and highly likely to India (ESPN Star cricket) who are keen to still have it on tv (presume for the Bombay bookies) and would a decent rights fee.
In my view the ABC could get the Ryobi Cup for a song as FOX SPORTS at this stage don't want it, as they have the sh--s losing the BBL. But FOX may change their mind given losing 25 Ryobi Cup matches is a whole lot of hours of programming. CA would pick up the production costs and then regain the money from Rights fees. Hence it would also save FOX a stack and they'd still retain content.

It appears the Ryobi Cup will be played on most days in October, to give Sponsors maximum exposure ahead of the Ashes and BBL.
Then Shield gets going in late October/early November in time for 2-3 rounds before Gabba Test. Some Shield matches until the
BBL which is still expeted to start on Friday Dec 20

Just an educated/calculated guess based on a little info I have..............more to come as I get it true cricket fans.

i would hope that the ryobi cup stays on tv, preferably fox as they would show more matches than the abc.

fox have every right to be annoyed at losing the big bash given they have been th eonly network for the last 10 or so years to show any interest in domestic cricket
MAY-Z
2008 Punting Comp Winner

Been liked: 16 times

Postby colliver69 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:39 pm

CA wanted the extra $$$ for the rights and you can't blame them for wanting it on free tv.
However Ten will be up for an extra $3 mill in Producing 35 BBL games so it is hard to see how they not make a big loss on it.
Don't be surprised if they lose $12-15 mill in the first year on it and then plead poverty
Check out http://www.countryfooty.com.au - the home of SA Country Footy on the net
colliver69
Rookie

Postby MAY-Z » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:44 pm

colliver69 wrote:CA wanted the extra $$$ for the rights and you can't blame them for wanting it on free tv.
However Ten will be up for an extra $3 mill in Producing 35 BBL games so it is hard to see how they not make a big loss on it.
Don't be surprised if they lose $12-15 mill in the first year on it and then plead poverty

No doubt they will lose money,I thought they might have learned something with their failed sports channel, I would've hoped that the rights could've been shared in a similar manner to the afl rights
MAY-Z
2008 Punting Comp Winner

Postby colliver69 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:50 pm

CA wouldn't let them on-sell to FOX. They tend to make it up as the go along.
Ten have to build it up from the ground up. Be interesting to see how it all pans out.
David Barham (ten sports chief) will need the right people there as there are a lot of unforseen probs
Your graphics have to be spot on, FOX didn't miss a wicket graphic all last summer.
The game is so fast at times, when wickets fall quickly, 3rd ump involvements and the like
There are lots of intricacies to the coverage, won't bore you with them but Ten
need to be across them or else there will be credibility issues from the word go
colliver69
Rookie

Postby MAY-Z » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:55 pm

colliver69 wrote:CA wouldn't let them on-sell to FOX. They tend to make it up as the go along.
Ten have to build it up from the ground up. Be interesting to see how it all pans out.
David Barham (ten sports chief) will need the right people there as there are a lot of unforseen probs
Your graphics have to be spot on, FOX didn't miss a wicket graphic all last summer.
The game is so fast at times, when wickets fall quickly, 3rd ump involvements and the like
There are lots of intricacies to the coverage, won't bore you with them but Ten
need to be across them or else there will be credibility issues from the word go

Why werent they allowed to on sell rights?

do you know if that includes the daily highlights package that fox show for tests and one dayers etc?
MAY-Z
2008 Punting Comp Winner

Postby colliver69 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:09 pm

My info is NO Highlights packages on FOX for each day of the Tests (will stand corrected) at this stage
CA dont care about that, only the extra money they'll get
colliver69
Rookie

Postby MAY-Z » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:18 pm

colliver69 wrote:My info is NO Highlights packages on FOX for each day of the Tests (will stand corrected) at this stage
CA dont care about that, only the extra money they'll get

thats terrible nwes - that is how people who work actually get to watch the cricket

i guess that means i will end up watching the overseas stuff that fox show and games from my archives
MAY-Z
2008 Punting Comp Winner

Postby colliver69 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:22 pm

Yeh well nobody at the Press conference would have been smart enough to sk those sort of questions
Most Journos live in a bubble and wouldn't have a clue about the things the punters really care about
For them the story is about the new money not what the fans will miss out on
Disappointing and CA will regret losing FOX SPORTS involvement
colliver69
Rookie

Postby Gozu » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:57 pm

colliver69 wrote:Disappointing and CA will regret losing FOX SPORTS involvement

Don't you work for Fox Sports, stats department or something?
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby colliver69 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:08 pm

Yeh might have!
colliver69
Rookie

Postby heater31 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:53 pm

Just when you thought the selectors couldn't **** up the selection of the national team anymore, some peanuts from Sydney get to have a say :shock: :roll:

Nine managing director Jeffrey Browne claims network will influence team selection as part of new deal with Cricket Australia
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby Interceptor » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:00 pm

CA are paying Nine $800k to screen the Ryobi Cup on their Gem channel and it will be played entirely in Sydney :shock:

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/ca-pays-up-to-save-oneday-coverage-20130919-2u2kn.html
Interceptor
League - Top 5

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 24 times

Postby Armytank » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:26 pm

MAY-Z wrote:
colliver69 wrote:CA wanted the extra $$$ for the rights and you can't blame them for wanting it on free tv.

No doubt they will lose money,I thought they might have learned something with their failed sports channel, I would've hoped that the rights could've been shared in a similar manner to the afl rights

The sports channel didn't fail, Lachie Murdoch and James Packer bought a huge chunk of Ten shares, got themselves on the board and then shut the sports channel down as it was in direct competition with FOX (which they both had an interest in at that stage). They want people to pay for sport, not get it for free.
I hate Full Back.....................
Armytank
Under 18s

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 21 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby heater31 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:30 pm

Armytank wrote:
MAY-Z wrote:

The sports channel didn't fail, Lachie Murdoch and James Packer bought a huge chunk of Ten shares, got themselves on the board and then shut the sports channel down as it was in direct competition with FOX (which they both had an interest in at that stage). They want people to pay for sport, not get it for free.

That was part of the reason, but still Ten purchased a heap of rights to sporting events and some of them were complete garbage. Then the ratings were not what they were expecting given the extra media space to sell for advertising.

Will be interesting what they do with the BBL as it was a high ratings winner for Fox Sports.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Previous

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket