SAAFL division 6 2014

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Who will win the division 6 grand final?

Angle Vale
3%
Blackfriars OS
7%
Central United
2%
Fitzroy
13%
Ingle Farm
10%
Lockleys
4%
Mawson Lakes
13%
Mitchell Park
6%
Rosewater
33%
West Croydon
8%

Total votes : 98

Re: SAAFL division 6 2014

Postby Cohiba » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:49 am

Phantom Gossiper wrote:
Half Back Flanker wrote:Cant give an explanation why we played flat 20min quarters but its something that I will need to address tomorrow night.

I dont know why they dont just make both A & B grade flat 22min quarters. Easier to manage and you get to finish early enough in the afternoon to go in have a drink with the opposition + still go home and freshen up and get back to the club for presentations without feeling rushed or too exhausted, especially for away games that may be a decent travel i.e. Angle Vale to Mitchell Park or vice/versa.

Could be wrong but didn't this get a fair flogging not that long ago????
Cohiba
Reserves

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 41 times

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:01 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:Should be an interesting round of games coming up. Last roll of the dice for Central United to keep their season alive.

Percentage is going to play a vital part in the make up of the 5, it's very difficult to see CU managing to close and over take Lockleys on %, all Lockleys need to do is win at least 1 more game and remain competitive in the other games and they are safe as houses.

If the red hot West Croydon can upset flag fancy Blackfriars this weekend, they'll set themselves up nicely for a tilt at top spot by seasons end.

On the flip side, a tough month of football coming up for Ingle Farm, they could potentially drop to as low as 4th by time finals roll around. Healthy percentage will work in their favour though.

In the reserves, doesn't look like much will change. Central United and Fitzroy are outside chances to squeeze into the 5, both will need to defeat Mawson Lakes to have any chance, but Lakes have the luxury of having Angle Vale last round which is a likely forfeit win.

As with the A grade, a tough month for Ingle Farm could see them potentially slip to 3rd and be over taken by Rosewater who boast a superior percentage. It's difficult to see West Croydon making enough ground to steal 3rd, they have a couple of tough games in the middle of this block before the end of the season, and percentage is a concern

It's anyones guess where sides will finish up in 4 weeks time, perhaps after this weekend we will have more of an idea..

BOS V West Croydon is massive. They are either playing for top spot or for the right to play Ingle Farm for top spot. I suspect BOS will be too good on their home deck
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 532 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:13 pm

Cohiba wrote:
Phantom Gossiper wrote:
Half Back Flanker wrote:Cant give an explanation why we played flat 20min quarters but its something that I will need to address tomorrow night.

I dont know why they dont just make both A & B grade flat 22min quarters. Easier to manage and you get to finish early enough in the afternoon to go in have a drink with the opposition + still go home and freshen up and get back to the club for presentations without feeling rushed or too exhausted, especially for away games that may be a decent travel i.e. Angle Vale to Mitchell Park or vice/versa.

Yep, only a couple weeks ago after the Central United v Lockleys clash - perhaps even more reason to consider a change particularly in the lower grades.
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:18 pm

Senor Moto Gadili wrote:BOS V West Croydon is massive. They are either playing for top spot or for the right to play Ingle Farm for top spot. I suspect BOS will be too good on their home deck

Absolutely, and with BOS having a favourable draw to finish - their remaining away games are vs Angle Vale and Mitchell Park - they are perfectly placed. More reason why West Croydon must continue their rich form and try to grab the 2 points this weekend.

With the top group so tight, neither team can afford to drop a game, what sort of mentally draining impact will that have on players leading into finals? Wouldn't want to be fighting each week with high intensity for that extra spot on the ladder just to reach finals and it finally catches up with you or will it have the opposite and we will see a hotly contested finals series with all sides playing at peak condition?
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby marbles » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:36 pm

Cohiba wrote:
Phantom Gossiper wrote:

i feel the A's game needs the extended length in the quarter as is separates the hard workers from the zippy one hit wonders

theres a period in the game where theres a lull but its also a test for the strongest as to who can get up and go again and this puts the very best sides above the rest of the best

in the reserves i found your in the middle of a head to head contest & bang siren blows and its over in 20 minutes, and ya like wtf is that it?

too quick for mine
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 259 times

Postby human_torpedo » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:39 pm

PG, ive noticed you like to dabble in a bit of reserves chat, which is good.. What are your thoughts on the IF v Rosies game this week.. The B grade at Rosies have gone from strength to strength as the big boys above them have faltered slightly.. potential GF preview?
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 371 times

Postby Cohiba » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:49 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:
Cohiba wrote:
Phantom Gossiper wrote:

Yep, only a couple weeks ago after the Central United v Lockleys clash - perhaps even more reason to consider a change particularly in the lower grades.

It has some merit re time management for home and opposition teams monitoring the clock during the game........ providing the League appointed umpires in "those" Divisions are consistent with their rulings on "time wasting" as would be employed by the more "crafty" players ;) (and coaches) when defending a narrow lead in close matches ... Blowing the whistle for time on/off too many time negates the purpose of playing to a fixed time period. IMO.

What would be the cut off Division for set times?.....
Cohiba
Reserves

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:37 pm

human_torpedo wrote:PG, ive noticed you like to dabble in a bit of reserves chat, which is good.. What are your thoughts on the IF v Rosies game this week.. The B grade at Rosies have gone from strength to strength as the big boys above them have faltered slightly.. potential GF preview?

This weeks game between IF and Rosies will make for very interesting viewing - should be an absolute cracker.

I've felt all season Rosewater were the best reserves side i've seen. Defeated Ingle Farm by 26 points the first time around - both sides probably not at their strongest - but it was the way they went about it. After trailing by a narrow margin at half time, Rosies came out in the 3rd quarter and went bang bang - kicked something like 7 goals to nil and that was the ball game.

Their strength is reflective also in their percentage which is a whopping 80.09% and best part of 4% greater than the next closest which is Lockleys. This tells me their defence is just as strong as their attack.

Now they have the likes of Horsell, Carson, Grant, Hicks, Quinlivan, Paget and Jacobsen in the mix who all have A grade experience to compliment the dangerous forward duo of Shannon and Kouba. They will take some stopping.

Ingle Farm have definitely faltered in the past month, but if you look at the sides they have fielded, there have been a large number of changes each week as the club juggles and manages player injuries, plus the forfeit vs Angle Vale followed by Flinders Uni has created a degree of complacency which tends to creep into teams at this stage of the year after such a long season. On top of that, Schell has put the players through a very rigorous training program over the past month just to maintain and restore fitness levels that may have dropped off.

I definitely wouldn't write off Lockleys come finals - they aren't sitting top for no reason, but my gut feeling is that yes this could be the Grand Final preview. With Rosewater hosting Lockleys next week we will gain a greater insight.
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:49 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:
Senor Moto Gadili wrote:BOS V West Croydon is massive. They are either playing for top spot or for the right to play Ingle Farm for top spot. I suspect BOS will be too good on their home deck

Absolutely, and with BOS having a favourable draw to finish - their remaining away games are vs Angle Vale and Mitchell Park - they are perfectly placed. More reason why West Croydon must continue their rich form and try to grab the 2 points this weekend.

With the top group so tight, neither team can afford to drop a game, what sort of mentally draining impact will that have on players leading into finals? Wouldn't want to be fighting each week with high intensity for that extra spot on the ladder just to reach finals and it finally catches up with you or will it have the opposite and we will see a hotly contested finals series with all sides playing at peak condition?

Mentally draining? I don't think so. There are only 4 teams in contention in Div 6 and to be honest they only have to be mentally switched on when they play each other....that's only 6 games for the year. The bigger issue coming into finals for these four teams will be managing their playing list and making sure everyone is fit, healthy and ready to play finals footy. It could come down the team with the least injuries winning the flag.
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 532 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:49 pm

Cohiba wrote:It has some merit re time management for home and opposition teams monitoring the clock during the game........ providing the League appointed umpires in "those" Divisions are consistent with their rulings on "time wasting" as would be employed by the more "crafty" players ;) (and coaches) when defending a narrow lead in close matches ... Blowing the whistle for time on/off too many time negates the purpose of playing to a fixed time period. IMO.

What would be the cut off Division for set times?.....

Could perhaps do similar to Rugby League. If a side scores a try and the other team tries to take their time for the restart, the referee will blow time off as long as the other team and referee are set in position. The same goes with the scrum these days, when a scrum is formed by one side time off is blown.

To translate to aussie rules, if a team kicks a goal, and are set back into position with the umpire in the middle before the ball has returned then blow time off - unless the ball is on the field being returned by the boundary umpire. As was previously pointed out, players and coaches will find ways to use this to their advantage or find ways to time waste, but I think you will also see sides being proactive and finding ways to return the ball after a goal ASAP e.g. setting someone behind the goals to retrieve the ball.

With injuries, anything that is serious and requires a stretcher and their position impacts the play could have time off. If a player goes off on a stretcher then don't allow them back on the ground for a set period of time. So for instance if a bloke goes down in the goal square holding his knee for a stretcher, continue the game, if it reaches a point you believe he may impact the play blow time off at a stoppage and get him removed from the ground via the quickest route - over the boundary line. Play on.

25min quarters, 22min for reserves div 5/6/7/8
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby zedman » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:49 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:
I've felt all season Rosewater were the best reserves side i've seen.

you deflecting again?? :D

big call since they sit in 3rd position on the ladder with 2 losses.. :roll: :)

lockleys B grade are very experienced at playing finals and generally get the job done as needed..depth through their C grade as well..just like IF..
zedman
Coach

Has liked: 1080 times
Been liked: 387 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:08 pm

zedman wrote:
Phantom Gossiper wrote:
I've felt all season Rosewater were the best reserves side i've seen.

you deflecting again?? :D

big call since they sit in 3rd position on the ladder with 2 losses.. :roll: :)

lockleys B grade are very experienced at playing finals and generally get the job done as needed..depth through their C grade as well..just like IF..

Lost to West Croydon in Rd 5 by 25 points - beat them by 94 points last week.
Lost to Lockleys in Rd 7 by 21 points.

Interestingly were missing Todd Shannon on both occasions and there were only 12 players last weekend in their side who played in either (or both) of those games and in the past 5 rounds have averaged a 22 goal win.

As I said earlier, I'm definitely not writing off Lockleys either though - they are top for a reason at the moment!
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby Cohiba » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:01 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:

Did you mean lower grades to be lower divisions....Set times already apply to B's, C's and D's.

Just for interest.....from which Division did you have in mind re fixed times albeit 22 or 25 min quarters if indeed that is what you were referring to??
Cohiba
Reserves

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:02 pm

Sorry I meant divisions not grades. I would consider divisions 5,6,7,8 having fixed time.
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby Arch44 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:14 pm

Rosies Bgrade had a very different side to the one we played earlier in the season. They looked fit and ball use was very good something we clearly couldn't match. Hopefully was a wake up call for our group. Having a lighter and fitter Horsell in the midfield and Todd Shannon although our full back reckons he only kicked 3 was a huge plus for them. No.13 was a handful in their forward line too.
Hogg Shield Div IV 2018 Winner
Arch44
League - Top 5

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 275 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:43 pm

Arch44 wrote:Rosies Bgrade had a very different side to the one we played earlier in the season. They looked fit and ball use was very good something we clearly couldn't match. Hopefully was a wake up call for our group. Having a lighter and fitter Horsell in the midfield and Todd Shannon although our full back reckons he only kicked 3 was a huge plus for them. No.13 was a handful in their forward line too.

Number 13 would be Jason Kouba? Yes most definitely a handful, kicked a bag against us the last time - quick off the mark, strong, worked hard inside 50 with repetitive leads, resetting and going again.. And like all good footballers was a left footer :P
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby X Runna » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:41 pm

Cohiba wrote:
Phantom Gossiper wrote:

Who, marbles? lol
X Runna
Reserves

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

Postby someguy1 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:48 am

Having played the top 5 sides in the B's the last 5 weeks I'd say Lockleys and Ingle Farm are a fair way in front of of the rest. I'd put Lockleys a bit in front but the better conditions at Mitchell Park compared to Rowe Park would have made a difference. I thought Rosewater was a lot better the first time around so I don't know if they have dropped off, have injuries or just rested some guys against us (their coach is an ex crab). West Croydon and Mawson Lakes would need some luck to do any damage come finals.
someguy1
Under 16s

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby Yank Man » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:43 am

someguy1 wrote:Having played the top 5 sides in the B's the last 5 weeks I'd say Lockleys and Ingle Farm are a fair way in front of of the rest. I'd put Lockleys a bit in front but the better conditions at Mitchell Park compared to Rowe Park would have made a difference. I thought Rosewater was a lot better the first time around so I don't know if they have dropped off, have injuries or just rested some guys against us (their coach is an ex crab). West Croydon and Mawson Lakes would need some luck to do any damage come finals.

Agree, Locks B's are outstanding. Couple of new talls up forward who have been o/s and returned will only make them stronger. Some of our A's went to the Uni huddle at 1/4 time and Locks were in their 3 groups with their line coaches and doing everything the A's do...... Our lads asked was this their A's or B's. Their club seems really set from the top down. :)
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 322 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby Look Good In Leather » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:22 pm

morell wrote:Just to publicly kill a rumour RE Mitchell Park losing our oval next year:

The Mitchell Park Sports and Community Club have a license for the facility at Moreland Avenue for 2015 and beyond as signed by The City of Marion based on a meeting on the 2nd of August 2011. If another football club was wanting to move into the facilities this would need to be negotiated with the Mitchell Park Sports and Community Club as they are the current licensee. This has not occurred.

Play on! :)

Is the Mitchell Park Sports and Community Club a separate incorporated body to the Mitchell Park Football Club?
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League