BL&G Football League

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: BL&G Football League

Postby BoundaryRider84 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:08 pm

Checksider wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:How so?
Personally im more than happy if a Gawler club never wins another flag especially Centrals. Sadly I think no one will get within 10 goals of them.
I think an undefeated season, thus avoiding the dreaded Prelim Final only to choke in the G/F with the boxheads upsetting them at home is the best we can hope for.

How so? What a stupid reply, boring to watch the same sides win every year, especially when tanunda kept winning. I hope its a 1,2,3 finish for the gawler clubs and shoves it right up all those toffee nosed grape growers and chardonnay swiggers. Infact be great to one day see Freeling win the flag or South, been a long time coming.

Gawler clubs have already won more than their fair share of flags this milennium. The odd spasmodic appearance in a G/F should be enough to keep the handful of supporters at each club happy.[/quote]

Wrong again buddy, If you mean since 2000, then only one premiership has been won by a gawler club, Centrals in 2001, Tanunda have won 5, Barossa 4, Kapunda 2, Nuriootpa 1, Angaston 1. So thats 11 to barossa clubs, 2 to the lights and 1 to gawler[/quote]

Thats a matter of opinion. As I said that's more than their fair share.
Willaston have appeared in 2 G/F as have Centrals and Centrals have appeared in about 200 prelim finals. Win a couple of them and you wouldnt be whinging about the lack of success in Gawler and the so called boring clubs winning it all the time[/quote]

Laughable! Days of our Lives you are a pompous knob mate![/quote]

Wait till you meet him in person ;-)
WE ARE GEELONG!
BoundaryRider84
League - Best 21

Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 225 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Dizzee Rascal » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:26 pm

For Christ's sake, learn how to quote, you blokes!
Dizzee Rascal
Under 16s

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Tea Tree Gully

Postby bennymacca » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:05 am

Dizzee Rascal wrote:For Christ's sake, learn how to quote, you blokes!

it happens when you try and indent too many quotes.

but yeah i agree
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times

Postby downspine » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:03 am

Useless..........i think Freeling had their chance under Leal.....and it cost a fortune
downspine
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 4 times

Postby Useless » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:27 pm

downspine wrote:Useless..........i think Freeling had their chance under Leal.....and it cost a fortune

Well they are due. No doubt they had there chances much like centrals now. But the wheel turns I guess and hopefully they can get up there soon.

Interesting out of that, I think that team and other teams around that time were a lot stronger than the teams around now.

Yeah Freeling are very good at spending money and even better at wasting it, but I believe they are trying to change this culture now.
Useless

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 8 times

Postby bennymacca » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:33 pm

Does everyone think the points system is doing a better job at evening out the comp compared to the old number of imports system? Genuinely interested as I haven't really followed the blg closely for a few years now
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times

Postby downspine » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:47 pm

In my opinion
I think since the points have come in, money has escalated
and its not only in the country, there are some clubs in town who pay pretty well
downspine
Mini-League

Postby Useless » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:24 pm

I know other competitions have a lot more trouble than we do with it.
Useless

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 8 times

Postby jakovasaurus » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:57 pm

Back with the import rule, you could get 5-6 even 10+ players in some cases for decent coin each still. .
But Now with the points system, there's only a few per team allowed really, so prices have gone up for individuals considerably. The total outlay for teams probably hasn't changed much, just less players for the dollar.

The standard has certainly dropped off a lot post rule change as well.
jakovasaurus
Under 18s

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 130 times

Postby daysofourlives » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:10 pm

jakovasaurus wrote:Back with the import rule, you could get 5-6 even 10+ players in some cases for decent coin each still. .
But Now with the points system, there's only a few per team allowed really, so prices have gone up for individuals considerably. The total outlay for teams probably hasn't changed much, just less players for the dollar.

The standard has certainly dropped off a lot post rule change as well.

You mean Freeling and Barossa could get 10+ imports. Freeling had 11 ex SANFL league players in one of those Leal years
But agree with the rest of your post. Standard is absolute pooh apart from Centrals. They would be the only side that would be competitive with any of the premiers from the naughties
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2434 times
Been liked: 1670 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby jakovasaurus » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:23 pm

Yeah of course we did. Not denying Freeling spent **** loads of coin on players then.
As I'm sure Barossa and others of that time did.

But I know that most of those players back then (at Freeling) were on nothing like the money they'd get now with the points rule.

Clubs have to spend lots to be competitive, just the way it is and has been for years. No point in anyone denying it and trying to say their club doesn't. It's all good.
jakovasaurus
Under 18s

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 130 times

Postby mighty hounds » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:42 pm

Going out to the big game tomorrow night and looking forward to it, Could be a grand final preview?
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 286 times

Postby drifter » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:03 pm

Useless wrote:
downspine wrote:Useless..........i think Freeling had their chance under Leal.....and it cost a fortune

Well they are due. No doubt they had there chances much like centrals now. But the wheel turns I guess and hopefully they can get up there soon.

Interesting out of that, I think that team and other teams around that time were a lot stronger than the teams around now.

Yeah Freeling are very good at spending money and even better at wasting it, but I believe they are trying to change this culture now.

Agreed, this takes time, Freeling have been doing their best to build up their locals through some healthy local junior talent over the last few years. The 17's who hadn't played finals for 20 years , have now played 4 out of the last 5 as an example. Hopefully, eventually the imports will be the icing on the cake, instead of the whole cake.
drifter
Under 18s

Postby Toronto » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:11 pm

any result from the ango v nuri game?
Toronto
Rookie

Been liked: 1 time

Postby Red Rocket » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:28 pm

drifter wrote:
Useless wrote:

Agreed, this takes time, Freeling have been doing their best to build up their locals through some healthy local junior talent over the last few years. The 17's who hadn't played finals for 20 years , have now played 4 out of the last 5 as an example. Hopefully, eventually the imports will be the icing on the cake, instead of the whole cake.

Did I hear right that Freeling only had 15 players in the senior colts round 1?
Doesnt auger well for the seniors in years to come if numbers are not coming through although the Gawler sides have shown that have oodles of kids doesnt necessary relate to success in the seniors
Red Rocket
Under 18s

Been liked: 72 times
Grassroots Team: Kapunda

Postby beef » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:36 pm

Toronto wrote:any result from the ango v nuri game?

Nuri by a couple goals
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 257 times

Postby drifter » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:42 pm

Freeling have the bare 18 in this age group when everybody's fit, but to be fair, this age group have been fairly light on from the beginning. They are probably the last group from that didn't benefit from the houses in the new development. They won't be as strong as the previous few years, but I think they will still punch above their weight.
You are spot on about good juniors not necessarily translating into strong senior teams. You really have to create a culture that they want to be a part of.
drifter
Under 18s

Postby Red Rocket » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:06 pm

Hows Media Mike's predictions looking now?
Another spoon heading up to the Hills perhaps
Red Rocket
Under 18s

Been liked: 72 times
Grassroots Team: Kapunda

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:59 pm

Did the 19 men on the field rule get changed after that final a couple years ago?
I believe Nuri had 19 on the field early on in the last quarter when a count was called for
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2434 times
Been liked: 1670 times

Postby beef » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:35 pm

Def had 19 at start of last after angaston called for a count. They got a free kick about 35 out straight in front. Luckily for nuri angastons ruck man can't kick. No score was wiped.
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 257 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy