HFL Division 1 (Central)

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: HFL Division 1 (Central)

Postby chopper7 » Fri May 19, 2017 3:59 pm

Afterthesiren wrote:It would be fair to say Torrens Valley, Echunga and Lobethal are paying over's just to compete in Div 1. Mt Lofty are in a similar bracket but have a larger town with a high school etc to draw from and as a result their junior numbers should always be healthier than the other 3 mentioned. There is no way the other 3 clubs can successfully sustain themselves for a long period of time against the likes of Blackwood, Hahndorf and Mt Barker. The gap between the big 3 and the little 3 is just far too distant. Realistically there is probably only 6 clubs that can be successful in Div 1 given its current environment. And the landscape won't change either so it will be up to the individual clubs to choose their own destiny. Div 2 would be the likely retreat or I can see some mergers happening in the next 3-5 years, maybe earlier.

Lobethal paying overs??? Have a look at their list and you tell me who you'd put in the bracket of being a highly paid player?? They are playing with 3 points each week, full of locals who I think are just lacking some confidence at the moment. I wouldn't even put them in the same bracket spending wise as TV or Echunga!!
chopper7
Under 16s

Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 24 times

Postby saintal » Fri May 19, 2017 4:07 pm

fair call on Lobey- a lot of locals in their team lists
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 348 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby Dutchy » Fri May 19, 2017 11:28 pm

Is their coach a local?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2333 times
Been liked: 3562 times

Postby saintal » Sat May 20, 2017 12:20 am

No, dont think so.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Postby BurntToast » Sun May 21, 2017 7:11 pm

Any truth to the rumour that Torrens Valley may be folding or merging in the next couple of years?
BurntToast

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Blackwood

Postby saintal » Sun May 21, 2017 9:30 pm

BurntToast wrote:Any truth to the rumour that Torrens Valley may be folding or merging in the next couple of years?

There was a rumor a year or so back they approach Lobey for a merger, but I dont know if that claim had any legs. Probably BS.

Appear to be really struggling in the junior grades this year. Towns like Mt Torrens/Pleasant, Eden Valley, Springton are not awash with youngsters.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Postby BurntToast » Sun May 21, 2017 10:59 pm

saintal wrote:
BurntToast wrote:Any truth to the rumour that Torrens Valley may be folding or merging in the next couple of years?

There was a rumor a year or so back they approach Lobey for a merger, but I dont know if that claim had any legs. Probably BS.

Appear to be really struggling in the junior grades this year. Towns like Mt Torrens/Pleasant, Eden Valley, Springton are not awash with youngsters.

They struggled last year with numbers also. I think they had a 17s side which struggled, otherwise the rest is 'Hahndorf Lions'. I can't see a healthy future for a club with little to nothing in the junior ranks, money can only get you so far. Unfortunately like you said, it's case of low population areas. Most of that area is farming lands with little in the means urban areas. I would say a lot of the kids who do live there would want to play with mates they go too school with, but play for different clubs, ie; Birdwood.

I think it's time for the HFL to have a major shake up in the junior comp.
BurntToast

Postby cracka » Tue May 23, 2017 6:33 pm

saintal wrote:

I thought they approached Birdwood a couple of years ago because they were going to have no juniors. Then the deal with Hahndorf was done.
If they have to merge again I feel it will be more of a takeover like the Uraidla/Eastern Ranges merge. Would they play their home games from 3 different ovals.
I find it hard to believe that from the towns of Eden Valley, Springton, Mt Pleasant, Mt Torrens & Tungkillo they can't find enough kids to fill their juniors..
Whatever the case may be, I hope something can be worked out so they don't have to merge or the HFL will end up like the SFL when they went from 2 divs to 1.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 463 times
Been liked: 569 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Jim05 » Tue May 23, 2017 8:42 pm

cracka wrote:
saintal wrote:

I thought they approached Birdwood a couple of years ago because they were going to have no juniors. Then the deal with Hahndorf was done.
If they have to merge again I feel it will be more of a takeover like the Uraidla/Eastern Ranges merge. Would they play their home games from 3 different ovals.
I find it hard to believe that from the towns of Eden Valley, Springton, Mt Pleasant, Mt Torrens & Tungkillo they can't find enough kids to fill their juniors..
Whatever the case may be, I hope something can be worked out so they don't have to merge or the HFL will end up like the SFL when they went from 2 divs to 1.

I think some of the Eden Valley kids head up to Angaston
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3556 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby FairDinkum » Sat May 27, 2017 9:59 pm

Apparently the Mt Lofty balcony lived up to its appalling reputation by resorting to racial vilification in the A grade game. All class from the disgusting ferals. Thankfully HFL hierarchy present, let's see some strong action !
FairDinkum
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 4 times

Postby Corona Man » Sat May 27, 2017 10:00 pm

FairDinkum wrote:Apparently the Mt Lofty balcony lived up to its appalling reputation by resorting to racial vilification in the A grade game. All class from the disgusting ferals. Thankfully HFL hierarchy present, let's see some strong action !

From the HFL hierarchy....pfft, unlikely
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1281 times
Been liked: 3494 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby FairDinkum » Sat May 27, 2017 10:21 pm

Then what happens next time is it gets handled on the spot...
FairDinkum
Rookie

Been liked: 4 times

Postby DoublebluTiger » Sun May 28, 2017 10:59 am

cracka wrote:
saintal wrote:

Several clubs across the state would already be doing that - BMW in Northern Areas is one that has 3 home grounds. Not a drama.
Success is in trying
DoublebluTiger
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 50 times

Postby Keefy » Mon May 29, 2017 4:24 pm

Weekend winners

Hahndorf by 35 pts over Onkas
Mt Barker by 26 pts over Torrens Valley
Mt Lofty by 10 pts over Lobey
Uraidla and Blackwood a draw
Keefy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 182 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby Keefy » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:10 pm

Round 8 results

Blackwood over Hahndorf by 29 pts
Mt Barker over Lobethal by 61 pts
Onkas over Mt Lofty by 46 pts
Uraidla over Echunga by 29 pts
Keefy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 182 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby BurntToast » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:05 pm

Keefy wrote:Round 8 results

Blackwood over Hahndorf by 29 pts
Mt Barker over Lobethal by 61 pts
Onkas over Mt Lofty by 46 pts
Uraidla over Echunga by 29 pts

Big result for Blackwood to get over Hahndorf like that. I know the Maggies were missing a couple of key personnel, but do they create a six goal deficit? I don't think so.

Overall it again looks like a relatively even comp approaching the mid season break. Hahndorf and Blackwood appear to be the favourites, while Uradlia, Mt Barker, Onkas, Echunga and Torrens Valley will most likely fight for those last three spots and probably in that order too. Lobey have dropped significantly (which is a shame as I enjoyed watching the way they went about in recent years) and Mt Lofty again look to have another lean season. Lofty just doesn't appear to have the quality or enough young talent to be competitive in the Div 1 arena.
BurntToast

Postby oldman » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:57 pm

What's happening at Echunga?
New Coach plenty of new players and pretty sure they aren't all playing for free.
Big amounts of $$$$ spent to make no impact.

Who takes responsibility for this?
oldman
Under 16s

Been liked: 62 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby hfoxe16 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:30 pm

oldman wrote:What's happening at Echunga?
New Coach plenty of new players and pretty sure they aren't all playing for free.
Big amounts of $$$$ spent to make no impact.

Who takes responsibility for this?

Its gonna get worse as their best player Joel Aish is heading overseas in a week or so.

I'm not really surprised with the clubs results just have to look at what Mick Duncan's coaching record was like at his last club. He can't coach unless he has a piggy bank to purchase players he was given handed a treasure chest and still can't get the results. The quicker they move him out the better the club will be in the long run.
hfoxe16
Rookie

Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 24 times

Postby kikittome » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:09 pm

You get what you deserve. Last years coach had no support from the committee, no players, and got then got shafted from a faceless few.
kikittome
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Bordertown

Postby thevoice » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:32 pm

Crickets on this thread this season!!
thevoice
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time