HFL Division 1 (Central)

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: HFL Division 1 (Central)

Postby cracka » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:49 am

TheBull wrote:Balhannah is given way too many grand finals for a very average surface and a terrible place for viewing when it's packed. Lobey and Handorf are perfect venues.

Shit, I thought the Balhannah surface is one of the best in the hills, also a good size & flat. Loby is definitely the best oval for the GF (used to be there every year in the early 90's) with the bank going around the outer side & the clubrooms/shelter shed/bbq shed almost filling the other side & Hahndorf would be 2nd. Lofty is good when dry, always loved the abuse from the balcony.
For those that don't know, a percentage of the gate takings is worked out & the club hosting the GF has to pay the HFL which is then divvied up & given to the 9 clubs not hosting it.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 463 times
Been liked: 569 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Legs Man » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:20 am

cracka wrote:
chopper7 wrote:
Legs Man wrote:Yes it's another bugbear seeing clubs spend little on facilities and lots on recruits.
While these clubs are gifted finals AKA Mt Barker last year it provides no leverage to enforce spending on their facilities.
It is always going to be this way while the board seems to be swayed into making these fixture decisions.
You only have to look at the ludicrous finals draw this year to see this first hand - then to add insult to injury the 2 week break within the finals series which shows one of the worst lack of foresight situations I have ever witnessed.
I am not professing to have all the answers - albeit that is a point of view by many - but blind Freddy could see that manipulating the draw mid season with a split round or enforcing an extra bye in Div 2 would have solved the problem.
Remember that Div 1 is the supposed pinnacle of Hills football and as such should be provided with a normal finals series across the normal timeframe.
Must admit though when it comes to the HFL normal is now becoming highly questionable.

Legs, there was actually a special meeting about 2 months back to decide a spilt round which would have happened over the past 2 weeks. Guess what though, the clubs voted it out straight away and weren't interested. You can see the board tried only to be knocked back again.

Correct & I've said that before on here. Don't let the truth get in the way of having yet another dig at the board though. :roll:

Wow - Chop / Crack - my humblest apologies to the board if they tried to implement a change to the finals structure to bring it back into line.

It should however have not occurred in the first place.

Why did the clubs knock it back - can anyone shed some light on this
Legs Man
Under 16s

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby Yellow & Black » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:37 am

Correct Cracka, after you divvy up the GF gate, it's more profitable for a club to host any other final especially when recent years suggest too few clubs are represented, this year is shaping up no different where Blackwood will probably play off in the U13's right through to B's, and could well be playing Hahndorf in all those games. If Hahndorf make the A's, the HFL could be facing a GF Day where only 3 clubs are represented....

Barker look handy in the 17's, Lofty are going ok in the 13's which might add a bit more colour on the day. Also a bit to play out in the A's obviously.
Yellow & Black

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby chopper7 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:55 am

Legs Man wrote:
cracka wrote:
chopper7 wrote:
Legs Man wrote:Yes it's another bugbear seeing clubs spend little on facilities and lots on recruits.
While these clubs are gifted finals AKA Mt Barker last year it provides no leverage to enforce spending on their facilities.
It is always going to be this way while the board seems to be swayed into making these fixture decisions.
You only have to look at the ludicrous finals draw this year to see this first hand - then to add insult to injury the 2 week break within the finals series which shows one of the worst lack of foresight situations I have ever witnessed.
I am not professing to have all the answers - albeit that is a point of view by many - but blind Freddy could see that manipulating the draw mid season with a split round or enforcing an extra bye in Div 2 would have solved the problem.
Remember that Div 1 is the supposed pinnacle of Hills football and as such should be provided with a normal finals series across the normal timeframe.
Must admit though when it comes to the HFL normal is now becoming highly questionable.

Legs, there was actually a special meeting about 2 months back to decide a spilt round which would have happened over the past 2 weeks. Guess what though, the clubs voted it out straight away and weren't interested. You can see the board tried only to be knocked back again.

Correct & I've said that before on here. Don't let the truth get in the way of having yet another dig at the board though. :roll:

Wow - Chop / Crack - my humblest apologies to the board if they tried to implement a change to the finals structure to bring it back into line.

It should however have not occurred in the first place.

Why did the clubs knock it back - can anyone shed some light on this

My understanding is it clashed with functions already put in place, and I'm just guessing here but the bottom 5 or so at the time would vote against it purely because it doesn't affect them at all.

Agreed it shouldn't have happened in the first place, that all happened because the CFL wanted div 2 to have the week off for the Country Champs well.
chopper7
Under 16s

Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 24 times

Postby Legs Man » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:04 am

Being a programming situation don't the HFL make these decisions independent from the clubs - the same as allocating venues etc.?
At least they acknowledged their mistake this time which is a good sign.
CFL seem to have too much say in the way Hills footy is formulated which scares the $*it out of me considering the changes they are said to be implementing moving forward.
Don't be fooled by their rhetoric as SANFL and SAAFL are their charter and priority - then damn the rest!
Legs Man
Under 16s

Postby lovethefooty » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:13 am

either way, or however it happened, I cannot believe anyone who knows anything about football could possibly think that
the finals structure for this year is a good one. to me, that is the scariest thing!!

I suppose the only consolation is that if you have to worry about it, it means you have made finals.
lovethefooty
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 8 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby cracka » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:40 pm

Yep, I still don't see why Div 2 couldn't have played on the Country Champs weekend. I know the CFL said no but they also govern SAAFL & let their div 7 play on both the June Long weekends & the CC weekend, yet all their other divisions had to have those 2 weekends off.
cracka
Veteran

Postby lovethefooty » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:08 pm

surely making round 17 a split round for the hfl central would have done the trick. surely??
lovethefooty
Rookie

Postby cracka » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:11 pm

Haven't you read choppers post above. That's what the board tried to do.
cracka
Veteran

Postby running defender » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:38 pm

Any truth T/Vally have applied to join BLG league ?
And the reason is salary cap doesn't suit them.
Onkas might survive , I would like them to witness country Div first hand then they might realise why we didn't want to play there anymore.
running defender
Rookie

Been liked: 14 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby cracka » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:07 pm

running defender wrote:Any truth T/Vally have applied to join BLG league ?
Onkas might survive , I would like them to witness country Div first hand then they might realise why we didn't want to play there anymore.

Doubt it as they dont have the juniors or netball to join BL&G. Maybe try SAAFL :D
cracka
Veteran

Postby Milly » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:05 pm

running defender wrote:Any truth T/Vally have applied to join BLG league ?

If Onkas do get the drop, they'll be doing it with a new coach for 2016. McGahey got a tap on the shoulder. Think he was on a 2 year deal, but he might have been just warming the seat for Kris Massie
Under 16s

Been liked: 49 times
Grassroots Team: St Paul's College OS

Postby lovethefooty » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:14 pm

does that mean they will pay him out his contract??
seems a bit rough......doesn't it??
lovethefooty
Rookie

Postby Spiderman » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:41 pm

Lobey getting a big 11 goal won over uri
Spiderman
Mini-League

Been liked: 4 times

Postby Dutchy » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:21 pm

A great win by the Tigers yesterday secured them an Elimination Final appearance against Hahndorf at Mt Pleasant Oval.
Qualifying Final Echunga vs Torrens Valley at Mt Barker.
Uraidla into the second semi-final.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2334 times
Been liked: 3570 times

Postby lovethefooty » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:40 am

I thought I would throw these two questions out there.
is anyone surprised with the results from Saturday??
extension question
is anyone surprised with the teams that finished in the top 5?
lovethefooty
Rookie

Postby Banker » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:57 am

lovethefooty wrote:I thought I would throw these two questions out there.
extension question

Haha...

How about one for you lovethefooty- How many games did Mt Barker win in the first 10 rounds this year?
Banker
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 25 times

Postby Elmer J Thudpucker » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:14 pm

lovethefooty wrote:I thought I would throw these two questions out there.
extension question

Two major surprises for me - Hahndorf and Ironbank.

Didn't expect Hahndorf to rise so quickly after winning the wooden spoon in 2014. However they recruited selectively to supplement their good youngsters which has made all the difference.

Ironbank are the big disappointment. I'd hate to add up what that club has paid in Coaches and Player wages over the past 2 years for no result. A good lesson to other clubs that a high profile coach and expensive ex-AFL imports doesn't guarantee anything but a decreasing bank balance.
Elmer J Thudpucker
Rookie

Been liked: 31 times
Grassroots Team: Bridgewater

Postby lovethefooty » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:12 pm

mt barker didn't win many banker...but they stormed home.

credit must go to Uraidla for continuing to set the pace...every year it is suggested they must fall..too old etc..
every year the butter up again.
lovethefooty
Rookie

Postby Legs Man » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:41 pm

Really strong top 5 with any side capable of taking it out IMO
Mt Barker left their run too late and would have given it a big crack if they made it.

2 questions:
What is Mt Barker ovals condition ?
What is the final outcome for the relegation table and final standings ?
Legs Man
Under 16s

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy