Great Southern Football League

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Great Southern Football League

Postby jackpot jim » Sat May 18, 2024 11:51 pm

field of dreams wrote:On the face of it, should be an easy round to tip…
Strath over GPE
Pongy over creek
McLaren over MC
Victor over Willunga
Bays over Yank.

Looking over the names in the Willunga side, 0-5 is [emoji2369]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Creek in a big upset over Myp/Sell :shock: despite Shillabeer kicking 10 for the Mudlarks :shock:
Both teams had a few key players out.
Creeks pressure and harrasment got the better of the Mudlarks as the game went on. Kellock is a gun and despite getting on in years continues to show just why he's picked up about 8 B&Fs for the Hawks by continually getting the hard ball.
Think i'll give up having an opinion of the Creek going forward as they're defying my predictions week in week out :oops: :oops:
Will stand by my assessment tho that they're no where near as good as last year so what that tells you about the comp i have NFI :lol:
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 453 times

Postby am Bays » Sun May 19, 2024 9:12 am

Really good B Grade game at Victor yesterday Victor just broke away in the last as tve Willunga Senior Colts who stepped up tired. Better than some SFL A grade games I’ve seen
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 1833 times

Postby field of dreams » Sun May 19, 2024 9:51 am

JJ I was watching the live scores and it looked like a great game. Hell of a lot of scoring shots.
I can see pongy were missing some…but maybe you are foxing [emoji12][emoji23]

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 132 times
Been liked: 79 times

Postby field of dreams » Sun May 19, 2024 10:00 am

am Bays wrote:Really good B Grade game at Victor yesterday Victor just broke away in the last as tve Willunga Senior Colts who stepped up tired. Better than some SFL A grade games I’ve seen
Was some really good footy played. Victor Bs starting to find a bit of form (and some players coming out) after a slow start to the season

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby am Bays » Sun May 19, 2024 10:27 am

Dutchy wrote:3 x 100+ point floggings, GSFL used to be the most competitive league is the state, starting to the way of the SFL?

Thoughts on the Southern Results this week @Dutchy?
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 1833 times

Postby goddy11 » Sun May 19, 2024 2:43 pm

jackpot jim wrote:
field of dreams wrote:On the face of it, should be an easy round to tip…
Strath over GPE
Pongy over creek
McLaren over MC
Victor over Willunga
Bays over Yank.

Looking over the names in the Willunga side, 0-5 is [emoji2369]

Creek in a big upset over Myp/Sell :shock: despite Shillabeer kicking 10 for the Mudlarks :shock:
Both teams had a few key players out.
Creeks pressure and harrasment got the better of the Mudlarks as the game went on. Kellock is a gun and despite getting on in years continues to show just why he's picked up about 8 B&Fs for the Hawks by continually getting the hard ball.
Think i'll give up having an opinion of the Creek going forward as they're defying my predictions week in week out :oops: :oops:
Will stand by my assessment tho that they're no where near as good as last year so what that tells you about the comp i have NFI :lol:

I watched the match on the App. Creek deserved the winning a good match. The way it started I thought Pongy would win easily. Credit to Creek getting back.
Pongy made some absolute clangers in defense that cost it dearly.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 576 times
Been liked: 214 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby Dutchy » Sun May 19, 2024 10:42 pm

am Bays wrote:
Dutchy wrote:3 x 100+ point floggings, GSFL used to be the most competitive league is the state, starting to the way of the SFL?

Thoughts on the Southern Results this week @Dutchy?

Yep, normal transmission has resumed, the uncompetitive games in both comps would be a concern for those involved
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2337 times
Been liked: 3597 times

Postby field of dreams » Fri May 24, 2024 9:33 am

goddy11 wrote:I watched the match on the App. Creek deserved the winning a good match. The way it started I thought Pongy would win easily. Credit to Creek getting back.
Pongy made some absolute clangers in defense that cost it dearly.

I had a look too. Shillabeer had 8 shots at goal in the first quarter! Looked like Derham was on him for most of the game. Shillabeer was just too good- he also managed to have no-one within 30m of him at times [emoji2369].
Kellock was excellent. B Kennedy found space as usual but Dominish and H Bruce were good for creek too.
Good win for Creek esp as they seemed to really lack height and had no Uebergang, Cole, Reichelt. They wasted a lot of forward entries in the last quarter too.

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby DoublebluTiger » Sat May 25, 2024 7:18 pm

And Willunga's winless season continues after being defeated by Yank on their own patch. A very rare win at Willunga for the tigers. What's going on at Willunga? It's like we're experiencing an alternate footy universe!
Success is in trying
DoublebluTiger
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 50 times

Postby field of dreams » Fri May 31, 2024 8:58 am

DoublebluTiger wrote:And Willunga's winless season continues after being defeated by Yank on their own patch. A very rare win at Willunga for the tigers. What's going on at Willunga? It's like we're experiencing an alternate footy universe!
It is a bit hard to work out. Yes they’ve had some injuries and lost some players….but there’s still plenty of last year’s GF side on the park and they did win the Reserves premiership last year.
Can losing Redden leave such a big hole(s)?

I guess it does point out that there really isn’t that much between being a success or an also-ran in the GSFL.

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby field of dreams » Fri May 31, 2024 9:13 am

Potentially 4 good games this week

7 Strath vs 8 Yank
4 McLaren vs 2 Bays
1 VH vs 3 Creek
9 Willunga vs 6 Compass

5 Pongy vs 10 GPE

I’m leaning toward the home sides.

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby jackpot jim » Sat Jun 01, 2024 2:24 am

Round 8 guesses

Strath v Yank a toss of the coin. Yank are on the up whilst Strath are having an ordinary season so Yank by 8 points

McLaren v E Bay. Bays currently 2nd need to win to prove they're a genuine Top 3 contender but i'd expect McLaren to be fully wound up and make a statement. McLaren by 22 points

Myp/Sellicks coming off a 2 week losing streak will have a practice run against GPE to the tune of 130 - 150 points

Creeks have exceeded all expectations so far this season and incredibly could easily have been undefeated had it not been for a last minute goal by E Bay in round 2. Whilst Victor have been building for a few years and now are clearly the benchmark of the comp as shown by their undefeated record so far. They've demolished every team they've played so far with the only real challenge being McLaren who got within 22 points. Most of Creeks wins have been by 1 - 2 goals whilst Victor have thrashed the same teams by 10 - 15 goals
So going on that i'd expect Victor to win very comfortably by 50 - 80

Winless Willungas' season is done and dusted whilst Compass need the win to have any hope of challenging for a finals berth in the 2nd half of the season. Another 50/50 game but Willunga are mastering the art of losing atm so Compass can get home by 10 points.
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby jackpot jim » Sun Jun 02, 2024 1:07 am

As usual i have NFI :oops: :lol:

Strath over Yank by 17 points who blew it with wayward kicking for goal 8 - 17 :roll:

McLaren disposed of E Bay by 53 points to bounce up to 2nd spot where they're likely to remain for the rest of the season i'm tipping
Bays shown they're not up to it but will still play finals

Myp/Sellicks took out their frustrations of successive losses by belting GPE by 214 points which wasn't really unexpected

Creeks really took it up to Victor for most of the game hanging in within reach until early in the last quarter before Victor pulled away to win by 34 points in a high scoring entertaining game.

And now for the shock of the round :shock: Not so much the result but the margin
Willunga finally broke the ice and gee did they do it in style obliterating Mt Compass by 106 points and holding them to a miserly 1 - 4 :shock: :shock:
Has anyone got an explanation for this? Because i'd be interested in hearing it. Like seriously 1 - 4 ???? In a match that was probably 50 / 50

Week off next week for those not playing Rep footy which will be welcomed by most i'd assume.
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby field of dreams » Sun Jun 02, 2024 9:42 am

jackpot jim wrote:so Compass can get 10 points.

Fixed for you JJ.
I got nothin. [emoji2369]

Was a great game at VH. Despite the turnover of players at Creek from last year they have put together a balanced team with good system.

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Previous

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy