HFL Division 2 (Country)

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: HFL Division 2 (Country)

Postby doubletrouble » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:46 pm

Barkeroo wrote:
beef wrote:No idea about hills footy but why are Kersbrook always in div 2 if they keep winning premierships. Obviously there is some other criteria?

Lack of a full complement of junior teams which is a criteria for playing in Div 1. Although these days it seems that rule isn't as concrete as it used to be.

They might go alrite in Div 2 but would get absolutely smacked in Div 1.
doubletrouble
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 7 times

Postby Sticks28 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:06 pm

Why does it matter if you don't have as many junior teams? surely they could do relegation & promotion in the hills league? reward them for winning so many grannies and have a crack at the top div??
Sticks28
Under 16s

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 19 times

Postby Keefy » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:07 pm

Sticks28 wrote:Why does it matter if you don't have as many junior teams? surely they could do relegation & promotion in the hills league? reward them for winning so many grannies and have a crack at the top div??
As it is now Junior and Senior colts are one comp

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Keefy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 181 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby Spiderman » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:29 pm

Brady Dawe returning home should strengthen the dogs nicely
Spiderman
Mini-League

Been liked: 4 times

Postby doubletrouble » Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:11 pm

Spiderman wrote:Brady Dawe returning home should strengthen the dogs nicely

Heard a whisper that Watson and beinke are on the move.
doubletrouble
Rookie

Been liked: 7 times

Postby Toto » Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:54 pm

Kersbrook have never wanted to go up to div 1 from what I understand. I said this 10 years ago, instead of being a dominant fish in a small pond, stretch your legs and have a crack at the stronger competition. Torrens Valley and even Echunga to some extent did it the wrong way and didn’t invest overs in to their junior programs to keep them pushing their way up in div 1 and ultimately struggle with kids now after challenging/winning a flag in the better comp. Nairne have been a slower burn but have proved their kids are just as good as any and are slowly building their club up to be a worthy div 1 unit.

Agreed Kersbrook would get a touch up by the div 1 sides but theres more benefit than immediate success.
Toto
Under 16s

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby cracka » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:53 pm

Toto wrote:Kersbrook have never wanted to go up to div 1 from what I understand. I said this 10 years ago, instead of being a dominant fish in a small pond, stretch your legs and have a crack at the stronger competition. Torrens Valley and even Echunga to some extent did it the wrong way and didn’t invest overs in to their junior programs to keep them pushing their way up in div 1 and ultimately struggle with kids now after challenging/winning a flag in the better comp. Nairne have been a slower burn but have proved their kids are just as good as any and are slowly building their club up to be a worthy div 1 unit.

Agreed Kersbrook would get a touch up by the div 1 sides but theres more benefit than immediate success.

They came up to Div 1 in the early 90's for a year or 2 with Nairne making a 12 team division. From (very vague) memory the HFL then made them go back to div 2 & Nairne didn't want to so headed to RMFL for a few years.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby batmanbegins » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:01 pm

Toto wrote:Kersbrook have never wanted to go up to div 1 from what I understand. I said this 10 years ago, instead of being a dominant fish in a small pond, stretch your legs and have a crack at the stronger competition. Torrens Valley and even Echunga to some extent did it the wrong way and didn’t invest overs in to their junior programs to keep them pushing their way up in div 1 and ultimately struggle with kids now after challenging/winning a flag in the better comp. Nairne have been a slower burn but have proved their kids are just as good as any and are slowly building their club up to be a worthy div 1 unit.

I get the theory but it's hard for small towns. Nairne have greatly benefited from the town growing and being right next to Mt Barker. Echunga, TV and even Ironbank are all small towns that make it extremely hard to get Juniors consistently. Also it's nice for Nairne to say there Juniors are good but let's be honest unless they pick up a handful of guns they are still a long way from winning a flag.
batmanbegins
Reserves

Been liked: 187 times

Postby Toto » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:33 am

Echunga is as close to Mount Barker as Nairne is. Yes they are a bit off but looking at their results this season in both grades, we’re very rarely blown out and I’m the back end from memory they were up on Uri, Lobey, Onkas and Blackwood for 3/4 of those games, lacking the experience that those strong clubs had to finish it off. My nephew plays out there and apparently their average age wasn’t much over 21, that’s probably tells me they are doing things the right way instead of “bringing in heaps of gun$”

I believe Kerbsrook missed their chance 10 years ago to have a real crack and stay up there and opted to win flags in the lesser competition, which is completely fine. Just stating the facts.

I heard that Ironbank are still trying to find their way back up?

By the looks of Kangarilla’s trajectory they could be looking to have a crack also?
Toto
Under 16s

Postby batmanbegins » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:06 am

Toto wrote:Echunga is as close to Mount Barker as Nairne is. Yes they are a bit off but looking at their results this season in both grades, we’re very rarely blown out and I’m the back end from memory they were up on Uri, Lobey, Onkas and Blackwood for 3/4 of those games, lacking the experience that those strong clubs had to finish it off. My nephew plays out there and apparently their average age wasn’t much over 21, that’s probably tells me they are doing things the right way instead of “bringing in heaps of gun$”

I believe Kerbsrook missed their chance 10 years ago to have a real crack and stay up there and opted to win flags in the lesser competition, which is completely fine. Just stating the facts.

I heard that Ironbank are still trying to find their way back up?

By the looks of Kangarilla’s trajectory they could be looking to have a crack also?

That's fair but the actual population size of Echunga would be a lot less then Nairne still. Nairne have benefited from the development in Nairne and the side of Barker closer to Nairne. I do agree they are set up to be long term in Div 1 where as those other clubs spent big bucks for short term success. To be fair to echunga they have been ok in A grade for the majority.

I think we would like to come back up but our Juniors are probably the issue now. Going back to Div 2 cost us Juniors that's for sure and I still wonder whether it was a good idea to go back but we also would have lost by 40 pus goals in seniors if we didn't drop back that year. Kangy would be a fair way off Div 1 standard and nor sure they had 3 junior teams this year did they?
batmanbegins
Reserves

Been liked: 187 times

Postby Cougar » Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:35 pm

cracka wrote:

They came up to Div 1 in the early 90's for a year or 2 with Nairne making a 12 team division. From (very vague) memory the HFL then made them go back to div 2 & Nairne didn't want to so headed to RMFL for a few years.

Spot on........Kersbrook were in Div 1 in 91 and 92. First year were competitive and mid table before dropping away in 92. HFL sent them back with Eastern Rangers to Div 2 in 93, whilst Nairne opted for RMFL.

Would be tough on any club thinking of jumping divisions currently. Think the gap between Div 1 and 2 has increased again after narrowing a lot at the start of the last decade. Hasn't been a bad thing for Division 2 as this years competition the most even I have ever seen it.
Cougar
League - Best 21

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 37 times

Postby Toto » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:53 pm

I agree. I guess over the last decade you had div 1 sides like Lofty, Bridgey and even Ironbank at their peak cycling through country div a long with Kersbrook’s super strong sides and Nairne, so the top end was closer to div 1 than currently but the gap was horrendous. Much better competition as it is now, great to see.
Toto
Under 16s

Postby Barkeroo » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:20 am

Yeah I think with how competitive Div 2 is at the moment just leave it as it is, It's not like Kersbrook are winning flag after flag every year. Last time they won back to back flags was 08-09 which was actually the last time anyone won consecutive premierships.
Barkeroo
Rookie

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Barker

Postby B&F » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:28 pm

Pretty quite in relation to recruitment from HFL teams.
Much happening out there?
Have all coaches been reappointed? Seen Kersbrook have a new coach.
Have Torrens Valley got a new coach after they lost last years?
Any big movers in the off season?
B&F

Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Barker

Postby cracka » Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:14 pm

Just saw Kangarilla have moved all their junior teams to the SANFL Junior comp. The other option they were looking at was the SFL junior div 2 comp which is getting up & running this year. Not good for the HFL
cracka
Veteran

Postby caleb777 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:46 pm

cracka wrote:Just saw Kangarilla have moved all their junior teams to the SANFL Junior comp. The other option they were looking at was the SFL junior div 2 comp which is getting up & running this year. Not good for the HFL

Terrible look for the comp but Kangarilla only provided 2 teams last year. Senior colts and mini colts. The whole junior structure right now really is a bit of a mess.
caleb777
Under 16s

Has liked: 19 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:42 pm

Div 1 clubs now control the HFL board and have no interest in Div 2 clubs surviving, you would think if a HFL club can put a junior team together they should have a responsibility to ensure there is a place in their league to play
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:43 pm

cracka wrote:Just saw Kangarilla have moved all their junior teams to the SANFL Junior comp. The other option they were looking at was the SFL junior div 2 comp which is getting up & running this year. Not good for the HFL

SFL haven't had a Sunday comp in the last 2 seasons and in 2019 there was one age group with 3 teams - why is there demand now?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby cracka » Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:54 pm

Dutchy wrote:

SFL haven't had a Sunday comp in the last 2 seasons and in 2019 there was one age group with 3 teams - why is there demand now?

Think that was the reason they went for the established SANFL Junior comp.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1643624489309.jpg
FB_IMG_1643624489309.jpg (86.87 KiB) Viewed 1402 times
FB_IMG_1643624495824.jpg
FB_IMG_1643624495824.jpg (36.28 KiB) Viewed 1402 times
cracka
Veteran

Postby caleb777 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:09 pm

Dutchy wrote:

Entire SFL will be dead in 3 years IMO
caleb777
Under 16s

Has liked: 19 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy