Now it's going to be a postal vote that won't count.

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: Now it's going to be a postal vote that won't count.

Postby bennymacca » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:22 pm

HH3 wrote:
Booney wrote:If the religious sect didn't lay claim to ownership of the word "marriage" maybe the process could be streamlined.

Maybe, but if both sides are gonna be pig-headed over one word, prepare for this to drag on for ages.

I predict the vote will be in favour of SSM, but the Government will only recognise it if they change the word "marriage". Which they won't, so back to square one.

When you're trying to get someone in power to change something for you, sometimes you need to be a bit flexible to get the outcome you are aiming for.

Marriage hasn't been a religious thing since 1961.

The religious community needs to realise that the word has a wider meaning these days.

The traditional religious wording is between a man and a woman to the exclusion of all others for life

Well since divorce and adultery adultery are now legal the religious and legal definitions couldn't be more different.

You can already get married in a civil ceremony too.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby HH3 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:51 pm

Ok, none of that matters because people have their own convictions.

If you want to change their mind on something, you need to be flexible, at least a little bit.

If you're only in it to say you're "married", and if you can't say that, you don't want it, what are you really fighting for?

If you wanted legal equality, and are offered it with a different name tag, take it.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:56 pm

HH3 wrote:Ok, none of that matters because people have their own convictions.

If you want to change their mind on something, you need to be flexible, at least a little bit.

If you're only in it to say you're "married", and if you can't say that, you don't want it, what are you really fighting for?

If you wanted legal equality, and are offered it with a different name tag, take it.

You think beyond you're designated demographic HH3

Welcome to baby boomer world. Here's your eastern suburbs sandstone villa, Merc and 8 investment properties .............
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 725 times
Been liked: 1079 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby heater31 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:09 pm

HH3 wrote:
MW wrote:What baffles me is these politicians change their tune on ALL topics to sway with the public vote to stay elected, but not on this issue. That must mean they think the popular vote will be a no, otherwise they can make it happen and save $122 million.

Plenty of politicians have flip flopped on this issue.
Going to be real interesting if a no vote gets up.

How will the politicians react? How will the left wing vocalist's take it? My guess not too well, but the people have spoken and will the wishes of the people be respected by their MP? Australia is notorious for not giving a **** about voting in regular elections so how are we going to fare in a voluntary poll??
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby Booney » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:09 pm

Surely you negotiate on things that you are hopeful of getting and not on things you believe you are ( rightly, IMO ) entitled too?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7517 times
Been liked: 10811 times

Postby HH3 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:11 pm

Booney wrote:

Surely you negotiate on things that you are hopeful of getting and not on things you believe you are ( rightly, IMO ) entitled too?

Yeah negotiate. Not demand. If you demand something and they don't budge, you get f**k all. Congratulations on f**king yourself over.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby HH3 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:14 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:

You think beyond you're designated demographic HH3

Welcome to baby boomer world. Here's your eastern suburbs sandstone villa, Merc and 8 investment properties .............

Can I have a place on the North Haven marina instead please?

And when and where is our Stonecuttters HQ where we hold our Oppression meetings?
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby Magellan » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:22 pm

heater31 wrote:
HH3 wrote:
MW wrote:What baffles me is these politicians change their tune on ALL topics to sway with the public vote to stay elected, but not on this issue. That must mean they think the popular vote will be a no, otherwise they can make it happen and save $122 million.

How will the left wing vocalist's take it?

Billy Bragg? Probably blame it on Thatcher.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:27 pm

Magellan wrote:
heater31 wrote:
HH3 wrote:

How will the left wing vocalist's take it?

Billy Bragg? Probably blame it on Thatcher.

You certainly won't read about it in The Sun.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Wedgie » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:47 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:
bennymacca wrote:A clear benefit for SSM?

What about the fact they don't get access to their partners superannuation when they die like married people do

A person can nominate the beneficiary.
I have even nominated my wife!

True but if you don't have a will it defaults to your spouse. If you are defacto it would default to next of kin right?

No, a defecto relationship is no different legally to a marriage.
Marriages aren't worth the paper they're written on legally.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2060 times
Been liked: 3917 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby bennymacca » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:51 pm

They might have their convictions but they are blatantly wrong. So you want to pander to them based on that? You are getting hung up on a word that has changed its meaning countless times over the years.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Jase » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:23 pm

bennymacca wrote:

They might have their convictions but they are blatantly wrong. So you want to pander to them based on that? You are getting hung up on a word that has changed its meaning countless times over the years.
Is that the same word that the SSM crew are hung up on as well...?

As I have stated, I am all for SSM... No issues with it here...

Sent from my F8131 using Tapatalk
Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1487 times
Been liked: 552 times

Postby Ronnie » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:28 pm

bennymacca wrote:

Unless you live an incredibly sheltered life Benny you would know, like all of us, people who hold differing views on this, close friends and family included. I hope your able to tell some of them they're blatantly wrong and you hold all wisdom. Just try and appreciate and respect that there are some issues that see people split down the middle. From there you actually get into a sensible debate.
Ronnie
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 84 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:30 pm

why arent christians in general (not you jase) hung up on the fact that civil unions (or even going down to the registry office) is still called "marriage"

the ship "marriage" being an exclusively religious word sailed long ago

i think it also confuses the issue

Ronnie wrote:Unless you live an incredibly sheltered life Benny you would know, like all of us, people who hold differing views on this, close friends and family included. I hope your able to tell some of them they're blatantly wrong and you hold all wisdom. Just try and appreciate and respect that there are some issues that see people split down the middle. From there you actually get into a sensible debate.

you're missing my point ronnie.

the main argument against seems to me about the word marriage still holds religious connotations for a lot of people.

i am arguing that the word lost that meaning a long time ago (with divorce, civil ceremonies, adultery not being illegal etc etc)
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:33 pm

I think, Ronnie, he's saying that you're blatantly wrong ;)
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Ronnie » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:41 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:I think, Ronnie, he's saying that you're blatantly wrong ;)

Benny might be right too! . Just calling for a bit of respek that all ;)
Ronnie
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 84 times

Postby HH3 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:41 pm

bennymacca wrote:

Exactly my point. The whole argument seems to be over what the union is actually going to be called.

If it's really that important to get equal legal rights, why would you stop yourself from getting them over a word?

Call it something else, and you have 99% of what you want. Pretty good compromise.

And yes, a compromise is needed when two factions are deciding an issue like this.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:43 pm

bennymacca wrote:

They might have their convictions but they areblatantly wrong. So you want to pander to them based on that? You are getting hung up on a word that has changed its meaning countless times over the years.

Almighty Benny has spoken!
There are people that will tell you that you are blatantly wrong
I haven't listened to either of you and have made my own mind up
Tell me I'm blatantly wrong and I'll tell you which bus to take
There is ignorance and arrogance on both sides
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 725 times
Been liked: 1079 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby bennymacca » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:00 pm

are you saying that you dont believe civil ceremonies between a man and a woman are right either?
bennymacca
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:02 pm

HH3 wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

Exactly my point. The whole argument seems to be over what the union is actually going to be called.

If it's really that important to get equal legal rights, why would you stop yourself from getting them over a word?

Call it something else, and you have 99% of what you want. Pretty good compromise.

And yes, a compromise is needed when two factions are deciding an issue like this.

what do you think would happen if the govt tried to change the marriage act to the civil union act?

having two seperate bits of legislation still isnt equality. The whole premise is that gay people think their relationships are just the same as same sex relationships. having two separate bills would still mean they are "different"

this is more about what the campaign is about - they want to be seen as fully equal, not just "we want to get married too"
bennymacca
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics