Whither/wither Abbott

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Whither/wither Abbott

Postby redandblack » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:58 pm

How long will he last?

I think his 'shit happens' statement was reasonable in the circumstances, but his interview silent reaction will disqualify him from being PM.

I'm not saying that's fair, but it's political reality given the doubts that were already there about his judgement and temperament.
redandblack

Postby GWW » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:05 pm

The thing I noticed when he wandered over to speak to the ch 7 journo, he walked over like he was a cowboy in a western.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Re: Whither/wither Abbott

Postby redandblack » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:09 pm

I noticed that, too, but to be fair, I think he's done a hammy recently.
redandblack

Postby Gozu » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:28 pm

The sad thing is that is how Abbott always walks.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby Media Park » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:32 pm

Dignified silence.
Direct quote:
Wedgie wrote:I wear skin tight arseless leather pants, wtf do you wear?
Media Park
Coach

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby redandblack » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:03 pm

Media Park wrote:Dignified silence.

Rabbit in spotlight.
redandblack

Postby once_were_warriors » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:07 pm

It looked like he was on the vinegar stroke
If at first you don't succeed , then destroy all evidence that you tried in the first place
once_were_warriors
Under 18s

Been liked: 2 times

Postby Darth Vader » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:34 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA that idiot Rann on ABC news responding to Tony Abbott about water. He (Rann) is an embarrasment to this state
Caution! You are now entering the no-spin zone...
Darth Vader
Under 18s

Grassroots Team: Solomontown

Postby redden whites » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:03 pm

Media Park wrote:Dignified silence.

Ah that is what is was.I was wondering if he thought the sound man was his long lost son or something. ;)
That was just agony to watch :oops: :oops:
redden whites
League - Best 21

Been liked: 8 times
Grassroots Team: Jamestown-Peterborough

Postby southee » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:28 pm

I was waiting for you to bring this up R&B.

To be blunt, the journo and channel 7 have reached a all time low of "gutter" journalism.

To turn this into a sideshow for ratings when a fallen "digger" has passed away is simply a bloody disgrace!!! :evil:
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 861 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby Darth Vader » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:31 pm

southee wrote:I was waiting for you to bring this up R&B.

To be blunt, the journo and channel 7 have reached a all time low of "gutter" journalism.

To turn this into a sideshow for ratings when a fallen "digger" has passed away is simply a bloody disgrace!!! :evil:

you are soooooooo right southee. Ch7 is lightweight - look at "Kochy" for instance.
Caution! You are now entering the no-spin zone...
Darth Vader
Under 18s

Grassroots Team: Solomontown

Postby redandblack » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:44 pm

mate, I have been waiting for a Liberal supporter to bring it up, but they've been quiet.

I agree with you about gutter journalism, but Tony had been fully warned about the question hours before.

As I said, I have no problem with his comment at all, but his reaction was weird.

Frighteningly weird.
redandblack

Postby southee » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:02 pm

redandblack wrote:

mate, I have been waiting for a Liberal supporter to bring it up, but they've been quiet.

I agree with you about gutter journalism, but Tony had been fully warned about the question hours before.

As I said, I have no problem with his comment at all, but his reaction was weird.

Frighteningly weird.

The reaction did freak me out a bit......it was uneasy to watch i must admit.

I did cringe a bit on the sofa!!! :lol:
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 861 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby mick » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:10 am

I wanted him to snot the c**t. Seriously if he was warned about this, his reaction was bizarre. If it had been me I would have just walked off leaving the guy with the laptop, not even dignifying it with a reply or reaction. Channel 7s big story was in reality nothing, but Tony managed to salvage it for him :lol: I'm finding it increasingly difficult to believe this guy was a Rhodes Scholar.
mick
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time

Postby Ronnie » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:13 pm

mick wrote:I wanted him to snot the c**t. Seriously if he was warned about this, his reaction was bizarre. If it had been me I would have just walked off leaving the guy with the laptop, not even dignifying it with a reply or reaction. Channel 7s big story was in reality nothing, but Tony managed to salvage it for him :lol: I'm finding it increasingly difficult to believe this guy was a Rhodes Scholar.

Just remember he is facing a goon reporter that has given fresh meaning to that old saying, 'gutter journalism'. A reporter from a network that had actually used the term 'insults a fallen soldier', . The terms 'slander' and 'misrepresentation' come to mind. If it get's any worse than that then i'm yet to hear it.

Obviously Abbott couldn't punch him, though that is the emotional reaction many people would have had to the objectionable proposition. If he had walked away that would have been worse, by making him look like he couldn't face up to what was being put to him. So he remained silent, which looked awkward, but so what.

Ch 7 have managed, in one go, to shred their credibility and drag the death of an Australian soldier into a tawdry journalistic beat up, all for what? It doesn't do anything for the wider media either although many are talented enough to dig up legitimate stories and keep politicians and other public officials to account.
Ronnie
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 84 times

Postby Squawk » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:21 pm

More "quality" from Channel 7 - I thought they were being moronic at the time, and media watch has had the same thought.

http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/transcripts/s3132387.htm
Steve Bradbury and Michael Milton. Aussie Legends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnztSjUB2U
Squawk
Assistant Coach

Been liked: 3 times

Postby dedja » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:27 pm

Regardless of the actions of Ch7, politicians are born and bred to handle these situations every day.

The fact is that the Mad Monk had a brain fade and is paying (rightly or wrongly) the consequences accordingly.

Just imagine for a sec what John Howard would have done in the same situation ... I bet his response would have certainly been 'dignified'.

The state of politics in this country is in a very sad state ... the Ranga is so stage managed we don't know what she stands for, and the Mad Monk is no better. He accuses others of spin when that is how he operates himself.

... sigh
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 1024 times

Postby Ronnie » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:48 pm

dedja wrote:Regardless of the actions of Ch7, politicians are born and bred to handle these situations every day.

The fact is that the Mad Monk had a brain fade and is paying (rightly or wrongly) the consequences accordingly.

Just imagine for a sec what John Howard would have done in the same situation ... I bet his response would have certainly been 'dignified'.

The state of politics in this country is in a very sad state ... the Ranga is so stage managed we don't know what she stands for, and the Mad Monk is no better. He accuses others of spin when that is how he operates himself.

... sigh

They probably are stage managed partly because people pick to pieces their every word, their every reaction, and the slightest bit of perceived weakness is then given up as a reason why they should never be in public office. Everything is so closely scripted because the know alls will jump on anything they can.
I'm not talking about clear character defects or badly chosen words, i'm referring to instances exactly like the one where Abbott was in with Riley, where he is clearly in the middle of being set up. How would you react? what is so exceptional about his response?

He reacts as many people would i imagine, by maintaining a stern silence. Not to everyone's liking, but in the circumstances a reasonable response.

Gillard doesn't cry enough, Abbott is a frustrated boxer, so it goes on. Who really thinks these are the issues we should worry about. Less spin i agree but how about some people get a bit realistic about their expectations as well.
Ronnie
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 84 times

Postby Interceptor » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:48 pm

dedja wrote:The state of politics in this country is in a very sad state ... the Ranga is so stage managed we don't know what she stands for, and the Mad Monk is no better. He accuses others of spin when that is how he operates himself.

We get reasonably poor bang for our buck here and you could probably say the same about plenty of other countries.
For whatever reason (pay, public life), most of the best minds and managers are in private enterprise.
You would assume all people enter politics for idealistic reasons (make a difference, etc), but clearly some aren't up to scratch when the heat is on (or any other time).
There was a article recently which suggested a US style reform where appropriate non-politicians could be appointed ministers, but I guess plenty of people would be against it.
Interceptor
League - Top 5

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 24 times

Postby Squawk » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:03 pm

Interceptor wrote:There was a article recently which suggested a US style reform where appropriate non-politicians could be appointed ministers, but I guess plenty of people would be against it.

It can be done in SA (I think under the 'Letters Patent') for up to 3 months. However, why bother doing it officially when you can achieve the same outcome in other ways, like appointing "Commissioners"??

Case in point - Monsigneur David Cappo, Commissioner for Social Inclusion.
Steve Bradbury and Michael Milton. Aussie Legends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnztSjUB2U
Squawk
Assistant Coach

Been liked: 3 times

Next

Board index   General Talk  Politics