17 Minutes

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

17 Minutes

Postby redandblack » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:41 pm

It’s been said that the level of Australian political coverage has been dumbed down to the lowest level possible. Forget policy, forget detail, forget intelligent debate, it’s all about a sound grab or a slogan.
I’ve been meaning for some time to express a thought I’ve mulled over for a while now. It was brought to the surface by a poster referring to ‘that dropkick Oakeshott’. Now this is a widely held view and it all seems to stem from the fact that the said Mr Oakeshott took all of 17 minutes to tell the nation who he would support in Government. That is, the most important decision for the Australian people for some time was explained with detailed reasoning.

If you go back to that day, you will recall Bob Katter taking some time to ramble on about his decision to support Tony Abbott. Some, perhaps a majority, might have thought he was a ‘dropkick’ well before that day, but that’s another debate.

We then saw Tony Windsor and Rob Oakeshott sit down together to give their decision. It was then obvious that the two would agree. As Katter had supported Abbott, it was also obvious that the other two would do the opposite, as otherwise they would have presented a united front with Katter.
Windsor quickly said the obvious and the obvious was that Oakeshott would follow suit. He did, but made a fatal mistake.

He wanted to say what he had considered before coming to a decision and why he had made that decision. It would have been patently obvious to any remotely interested observer that his decision would be to agree with Windsor, though, as no other reasonable interpretation was possible.

But he took 17 minutes.

He’s now a ‘dropkick’, even though almost every person who expressed an opinion on him up to that time had considered him to be someone who other politicians should emulate.

But he took 17 minutes.

Tasmania swore in a new Premier last week. The headline in The Australian read along the lines of “Left Lady looking for Mister Right”

It’s 2011 and we’re still reading that sort of journalism.

This week it’s a flood levy and the media rush to find ‘victims who will have to pay the levy’, even though the quickest reading makes it clear they’re exempt, or “I’ll have to pay thousands and it will ruin me”, even though you’d have to be on hundreds of thousands to pay that much. It’s 96 cents a week for one year if you’re on $60K, but this is the time of the quick sound grab, so facts get in the way of a headline.

I have a confession to make.

I listened to that ‘dropkick’ Oakeshott intently for that 17 minutes and I survived OK. I’ve only had one negative effect so far, except for making up for it by foregoing half an episode of a TV soapie.

That negative effect? Sadness at the number of times we’re happy to read a headline as fact, or accept whatever ‘fact’ is published that suits our argument.

We’re almost all guilty of it, including me, which is why I enjoy posts on here that attempt to be factual.

I enjoyed that 17 minutes.

All power to that ‘dropkick’.
redandblack

Re: 17 Minutes

Postby cripple » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:08 pm

Well said, its the stupid sensationalist shows such as ACA and Today Tonight that have caused this problem. Watched Negus' new show on ten this week and it seems like that will be a bit more "factual" as to what they report, hope so anyway.
cripple
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby dedja » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:10 pm

Watching 4 Corners 'The Deal' is interesting viewing ...
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 1024 times

Postby Q. » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:31 pm

cripple wrote:Well said, its the stupid sensationalist shows such as ACA and Today Tonight that have caused this problem. Watched Negus' new show on ten this week and it seems like that will be a bit more "factual" as to what they report, hope so anyway.

No, it's the public who is the problem. It's the public who tune in, who buy the papers, who lap up and regurgitate the misinformation. Democracy is an amazing concept, but geez we take it for granted and poison it with complacency.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Media Park » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:33 pm

I watched all 17 minutes to get out of work...

I voted for Abbott, so I knew that with my luck, Gillard would get in...
Direct quote:
Wedgie wrote:I wear skin tight arseless leather pants, wtf do you wear?
Media Park
Coach

Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Bat Pad » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:05 pm

Made a pretty big assumption that people only think he is a dropkick because of that speech. Any evidence to point to that backs that up?
Bat Pad
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 1 time

Postby redandblack » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:32 pm

Any evidence to support that it wasn't ;)
redandblack

Postby Bat Pad » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:59 pm

redandblack wrote:Any evidence to support that it wasn't ;)

No, and it may be possible. But I'm more inclined to think it's because at that stage he was still an unknown quantity without any exposure to people outside his electorate. With more exposure comes more scrutiny, and I think people have gotten over the first impression and may not like what they see. I'm not saying I am one of them either, I think he was unimpressive as a public speaker (and his gang of four comment where he is says they were there for good and not evil was especially stupid, given the implication that the original 4 were evil) but that isnt enough for me to class him as a dropkick, just unimpressive.

In terms of the dumbing down of the electorate, agree with the commercial networks, especially shows like sunrise and today. But ABC news 24 is good and I think the print media does a pretty good job (bias on both sides aside).
Bat Pad
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 1 time

Postby redandblack » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:19 pm

Fair enough on the Oakeshott question, batpad, although I'm sure the perception changed after his 17 minute effort, especially by those who had praised him until his decision disappointed them, but I agree that some have judged him since then.

I wouldn't exclude most of the print media from my criticism.
redandblack

Postby cripple » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:31 pm

Quichey wrote:
cripple wrote:Well said, its the stupid sensationalist shows such as ACA and Today Tonight that have caused this problem. Watched Negus' new show on ten this week and it seems like that will be a bit more "factual" as to what they report, hope so anyway.

No, it's the public who is the problem. It's the public who tune in, who buy the papers, who lap up and regurgitate the misinformation. Democracy is an amazing concept, but geez we take it for granted and poison it with complacency.

The public is the end result of the problem, but in so many cases the media forgoes their responsibility in delivering news to get a cheap headline and not everyone is clued in enough to sort out the garbage from the fact. This problem then escalates when that poor info they believed is repeated and the end result is the general population spouting rubbish because tracey grimshaw told them so.
cripple
League Bench Warmer

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:58 pm

7PM Project.
Dumbing down at its finest.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Squawk » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:05 pm

R&B - it nearly took me 17 minutes to read your post! :lol: ;)
Steve Bradbury and Michael Milton. Aussie Legends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnztSjUB2U
Squawk
Assistant Coach

Been liked: 3 times

Postby redandblack » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:07 pm

I'm surprised you read it all, mate.

I gave up half-way through :D
redandblack

Postby Q. » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:11 pm

cripple wrote:
Quichey wrote:

The public is the end result of the problem, but in so many cases the media forgoes their responsibility in delivering news to get a cheap headline and not everyone is clued in enough to sort out the garbage from the fact. This problem then escalates when that poor info they believed is repeated and the end result is the general population spouting rubbish because tracey grimshaw told them so.

Chicken or the egg? Would papers still sell if they cut the crap out?
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Darth Vader » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:00 pm

Gee I'm glad the Oakeshot man wasn't an American. Bill O'Reilly would have put him on the pinhead file
Caution! You are now entering the no-spin zone...
Darth Vader
Under 18s

Grassroots Team: Solomontown

Board index   General Talk  Politics