US shootings

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

US shootings

Postby redandblack » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:05 am

I've been vaguely following the debate in the US on the Tucson shootings.

Like some of those with Foxtel, I sometimes watch FoxNews with a morbid fascination, usually for a very short time hoping for reasonable discussion, but probably more so to see what depths of dumbness they descend to.

I think I saw the nadir yesterday. Glenn Beck is one of the major targets of those against the right-wing shock jocks and is one who many think has incited some to violence. I don't make any comment either way on that, as I don't know enough to form an opinion.

However, as I watched, he said that a US Senator was going to bring in a bill to prohibit citizens from buying 30 round magazines for their guns (yes, this is America and it's a different place).

Naturally he was opposed to that (we all need big magazines for our Glocks). His argument:

"If you ban things that are bad, then why not ban other things that are bad.

Like sadness. Sadness is bad, so why not ban sadness" :shock:

As I quickly changed channels, I think you can all imagine me saying words to the effect of:

"You're kidding, what a ******* dickhead"

People believe these idiots :?
redandblack

Re: US shootings

Postby Q. » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:22 am

So you're saying it's not gun laws, or aggressive political rhetoric that's the cause of violence...

It's that Americans are dumb and getting dumber with every generation?
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby redandblack » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:02 am

Not at all, Q. I certainly think their gun laws are a disgrace and their right-wing political rhetoric is just as bad and IMO an incitement to violence. (I put it badly in my first post - I was merely not looking to debate that issue in that post).

I don't think Americans are dumber than anywhere else, but they are certainly more insular by a long way. Nothing exists outside the US to them, generally speaking.

1% of their population owns 90% of the wealth, also.
redandblack

Postby dedja » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:59 am

Mike Moore's Bowling for Columbine is a must see.

Love the opening scene when Moore opens a bank account and receives a free gun ... then asks the staff with puzzled looks whether it's a good idea handing out guns to customers.
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 1024 times

Postby Bat Pad » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:27 pm

dedja wrote:Mike Moore's Bowling for Columbine is a must see.

Love the opening scene when Moore opens a bank account and receives a free gun ... then asks the staff with puzzled looks whether it's a good idea handing out guns to customers.

Watch manufacuring dissent. You'll change your mind on that opening scene. Think you can watch the whole thing on google videos, but it definitely on the web somewhere.

I think Hitchens sums up Mike Moore best.

"But speaking here in my capacity as a polished, sophisticated European as well, it seems to me the laugh here is on the polished, sophisticated Europeans. They think Americans are fat, vulgar, greedy, stupid, ambitious and ignorant and so on. And they‘ve taken as their own, as their representative American someone who actually embodies all of those qualities" refering to Mike Moore
Bat Pad
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time

Postby Leaping Lindner » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:45 pm

redandblack wrote:I've been vaguely following the debate in the US on the Tucson shootings.

Like some of those with Foxtel, I sometimes watch FoxNews with a morbid fascination, usually for a very short time hoping for reasonable discussion, but probably more so to see what depths of dumbness they descend to.

I think I saw the nadir yesterday. Glenn Beck is one of the major targets of those against the right-wing shock jocks and is one who many think has incited some to violence. I don't make any comment either way on that, as I don't know enough to form an opinion.

However, as I watched, he said that a US Senator was going to bring in a bill to prohibit citizens from buying 30 round magazines for their guns (yes, this is America and it's a different place).

Naturally he was opposed to that (we all need big magazines for our Glocks). His argument:

"If you ban things that are bad, then why not ban other things that are bad.

Like sadness. Sadness is bad, so why not ban sadness" :shock:

As I quickly changed channels, I think you can all imagine me saying words to the effect of:

"You're kidding, what a ******* dickhead"

People believe these idiots :?

Yeah, but Glen Beck is barking mad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ0mdxXw8Ac
"They got Burton suits, ha, you think it's funny,turning rebellion into money"
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby redandblack » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:45 am

Thanks, LL, that made me feel much better :D
redandblack

Postby Dirko » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:31 am

Leaping Lindner wrote:Yeah, but Glen Beck is barking mad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ0mdxXw8Ac

That was fantastic ! :lol:
The joy of being on the hill drinking beer cannot be understated
Dirko
Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Board index   General Talk  Politics