South Australia's Best Premier

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Poll ended at Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:10 pm

Sir Tom Playford
27%
Steele Hall
2%
Don Dunstan
54%
David Tonkin
2%
John Bannon
5%
Dean Brown
7%
John Olsen
No votes
Mike Rann
2%

Total votes : 41

Postby CK » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:10 pm

A fairly simple question, that will, no doubt, open a huge can of worms. :)

Have been having a spirited debate the last day or so with a mate that shares nearly the complete opposite political views to mine (without betraying either side's views), and of late, we have been looking at the relative strengths and weaknesses of various SA premiers.

Taking out the issue of personality entirely and looking solely at their achievements, who do the regular forum-ites believe is the best premier to serve South Australia over our time? I've deliberately left out short term premiers who replaced resigning premiers (hence no Lynn Arnold or Des Corcoran) and have left it to those that most posters here have experience with.

I'll be quite interested to hear about Sir Tom Playford from older posters like Psyber and Redandblack, who would remember at least some of his term, and certainly from the political forum regulars like Leaping Lindner, Sojourner, Gozu, Rik E Boy etc on many of the others.
Can you guess where I'm calling from, the Las Vegas Hilton...
CK
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times

Re: South Australia's Best Premier

Postby dedja » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:15 pm

In terms of lasting legacies, it's a 2 horse race between Playford and Dunstan, with Playford winning in my books, due mainly to the infrastructure changes he instigated.

Apart from the safari suit and pink shorts, the cultural reform of Dunstan endures.

Pity politicians these days aren't in the same league as these two.
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 1024 times

Postby redandblack » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:35 pm

Obviously I think it's Dunstan by a street, but I'll give reasons when I get time.

Playford is the other contender and it depends on whether you want dramatic reform or the opposite.
redandblack

Postby dedja » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:38 pm

redandblack wrote:Obviously I think it's Dunstan by a street ...

Couldn't see that one coming ... :-??

:D
dedja
Coach

Postby Ian » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:51 pm

dedja wrote:
redandblack wrote:Obviously I think it's Dunstan by a street ...

Couldn't see that one coming ... :-??

:D

My old man was a staunch Liberal supporter, never voted Labour in his life but I can clearly remember him say that Dunstan was the best Premier this state ever had by a country mile, considering his political persuasion that'll do for me
North Adelaide F C : Champions of Aust 1972 : Premiers 1900, 02, 05, 20, 30, 31, 49, 52, 60, 71, 72, 87, 91
Ian

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 93 times
Grassroots Team: Lockleys

Postby am Bays » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:07 pm

How quickly they forget Charles Kingston...

Considering his role in Federalism, his contribution on the national stage and the funding legacy he achieved for South Australia from the federal purse, more than it contributes to our national GDP and per head of population, his contribution and legacy to this state dwarfs anyone since IMHO.

Playford and Dunstan would have been able to do diddly squat if it wasn't for Kingston.

IIRC it was Kingston who as premier legislated for universal suffrage for women and legislated for the first concilliation and arbitration act for workers.

Case closed
Last edited by am Bays on Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 1831 times

Postby dedja » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:13 pm

Not to mention Sir Henry Ayers and Thomas Playford Senior ...
dedja
Coach

Postby mick » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:39 am

Dunstan! Every day I sit in traffic jam I think of him, economic poisoner of the state, one of the reasons I have detested the Labor party for 40 years. Sold the country rail network to balance the books, sold the land set aside for the MATS rapid transport freeway proposal to balance the books again, consorted with some very unsavoury characters. You couln't get petrol or meat in this metro area after 6pm........very ******* progressive. A pox on him.

Playford transformed SA from an agrarian state to an industrial state, nationionalised electricity, best ever Labor premie :lol: r.

Steele Hall, abortion law reform, began the development that lead to the festival theatre, electoral reform to remove the gerrymander

Brown/Olsen cleaned up the mess left by Bannon

Tonkin.....supported indigenous rights, Adelaide international airport... most underated premier IMHO
Last edited by mick on Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
mick
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Jimmy_041 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:42 am

Rann
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 726 times
Been liked: 1082 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Mr Beefy » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:23 am

mick wrote:Dunstan! Every day I sit in traffic jam I think of him, economic poisoner of the state, one of the reasons I have detested the Labor party for 40 years. Sold the country rail network to balance the books, sold the land set aside for the MATS rapid transport freeway proposal to balance the books again, consorted with some very unsavoury characters. You couln't get petrol or meat in this metro area after 6pm........very ******* progressive. A pox on him.

Playford transformed SA from an agrarian state to an industrial state, nationionalised electricity, best ever Labor premie :lol: r.

Steele Hall, abortion law reform, began the development that lead to the festival theatre, electoral reform to remove the gerrymander

Tonkin.....supported indigenous rights, Adelaide international airport... most underated premier IMHO

Some contradictions on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolitan_Adelaide_Transport_Study
In 1970 a new Labor government under Don Dunstan was elected and shelved MATS, but did not go as far as selling the corridors in case opinion changed in the future. Dunston proposed satellite cities such as Monarto, as well as investigating new technologies in public urban transport.[9] Dunstan attempted to construct a light rail line in the north-east along the Modbury corridor. It later turned out the O-Bahn was to be constructed instead.

In 1980, the Liberal party won government on a platform of fiscal conservatism and the premier David Tonkin committed his government to selling off the land acquired for the MATS plan ensuring that even when needs or public opinion changed, the construction of most MATS-proposed freeways would be impossible, however debate continued on a North-South Freeway to replace South Road.
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 407 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby CK » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:11 am

Mr Beefy wrote:
mick wrote:Dunstan! Every day I sit in traffic jam I think of him, economic poisoner of the state, one of the reasons I have detested the Labor party for 40 years. Sold the country rail network to balance the books, sold the land set aside for the MATS rapid transport freeway proposal to balance the books again, consorted with some very unsavoury characters. You couln't get petrol or meat in this metro area after 6pm........very ******* progressive. A pox on him.

Some contradictions on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolitan_Adelaide_Transport_Study
In 1970 a new Labor government under Don Dunstan was elected and shelved MATS, but did not go as far as selling the corridors in case opinion changed in the future. Dunston proposed satellite cities such as Monarto, as well as investigating new technologies in public urban transport.[9] Dunstan attempted to construct a light rail line in the north-east along the Modbury corridor. It later turned out the O-Bahn was to be constructed instead.

In 1980, the Liberal party won government on a platform of fiscal conservatism and the premier David Tonkin committed his government to selling off the land acquired for the MATS plan ensuring that even when needs or public opinion changed, the construction of most MATS-proposed freeways would be impossible, however debate continued on a North-South Freeway to replace South Road.

While David Tonkin made the commitment to sell the land, I always thought it was John Bannon's government that actually sold it off.
Can you guess where I'm calling from, the Las Vegas Hilton...
CK
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Leaping Lindner » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:32 pm

In my lifetime Steele Hall and Don Dunstan would tie. Two great leaders who were able to look past the next election and put the good of the State first.

Worst - Dean Brown by a mile. He should have been called biege not Brown. Talk about going back in time.
"They got Burton suits, ha, you think it's funny,turning rebellion into money"
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby Leaping Lindner » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:34 pm

Ditto under Tonkin. I think you'll find the MBL had a far bit of clout when it came to the opening hours of butchers.
"They got Burton suits, ha, you think it's funny,turning rebellion into money"
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby southee » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:53 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:Rann

=))
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 861 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby mick » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:35 pm

southee wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:Rann

=))

Who was the silly **** who voted for Bannon, Bankrupt the state and you are the best premier.....
mick
League - Best 21

Postby dedja » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:47 pm

redandblack, come on down ... /:)
dedja
Coach

Postby mick » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:48 pm

dedja wrote:

redandblack, come on down ... /:)

Yep give us the Dunstan Myth Chapter and verse I can hardly wait :lol:
mick
League - Best 21

Postby dedja » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:58 pm

Fancy that, a politician with a social conscience ... :-k
dedja
Coach

Postby mick » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:11 pm

Leaping Lindner wrote:In my lifetime Steele Hall and Don Dunstan would tie. Two great leaders who were able to look past the next election and put the good of the State first.

Worst - Dean Brown by a mile. He should have been called biege not Brown. Talk about going back in time.

I always value your opinion LL, but without trying to be a smartarse, when did Don put the welfare of the state ahead of his party? with Steele Hall removal of the gerrymander come under that criterion one could also argue the Dartmouth (Hall) versus (Dunstan) Chowilla dams would be similar. except that Chowilla had it ever been built would have been the greatest environmental vandalism ever perpetrated in Australia, not that it was considered as such by either side at the time, but would have flooded unique forrest and created a vast shallow lake near the SA border. Hall lost government over this issue and history has proved him right. Dartmouth was built Chowilla wasn't.

I rank Playford first, Hall second, Tonkin third, Dunstan 4th or 5th, Brown /Olsen were not great but somebody had to clean up the mess left by the Bannon.
mick
League - Best 21

Postby mick » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:13 pm

dedja wrote:Fancy that, a politician with a social conscience ... :-k
Social conscience for sure but economic incompetant, first manipulator of the media and spin doctor, Rann learnt his craft at his knee.
mick
League - Best 21

Next

Board index   General Talk  Politics