The South Australian Political Landscape

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: The South Australian Political Landscape

Postby morell » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:30 pm

I wonder if you two apply the same rules to Turnbull and negative gearing? Hmmmmmm?

He isn't representing young people and by not changing it he is just shoving it in their face for not voting for him
He should represent everyone, not just the people that voted for him
He is a weak leader for not being able to change his mind

Right?
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Q. » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:38 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
Q. wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:I understand that the concern around some Lib country seats is very real. Not just a media beat-up.
Within farming community there is resentment that they were flaccid when the opportunity to end moratorium on GM crops came up.

Flaccid? I'd call Ridgway anything but flaccid, plus there's not a lot you can do when you dont have the numbers
http://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2017-11-16/south-australia-gm-ban-extension-to-2025/9155994

Doesn't this just sum up Weatherill:
"The truth is there are not a lot of votes out there in country South Australia for us, so in some ways we are free of the electoral imperatives about this," Mr Weatherill told the ABC's Landline program back in July.

In other words: we'll stick it up the farmers for not voting for us
Yes. I was a bit harsh considering not having the numbers, but would like to see them commit to overturning ban going into election.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Q. » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:42 pm

morell wrote:Rubbish. He's being honest by representing the people that voted for him and what he feels is the right thing to do.

Wish more politicians would take that sort of stand, actually, otherwise there's no point in even having policies or elections.

Like it, or not, he's being consistent and you know what you're voting for (or against):

Jay Weatherill is a strong and vocal supporter of the GM ban, and earlier in the year said he would not be pressured by the grains industry to scrap the ban.
He's taking an anti-science stance, which is disappointing.
Q.
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:48 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
Trader wrote:
morell wrote:Rubbish. He's being honest by representing the people that voted for him and what he feels is the right thing to do.

So do you think a member of parliament should only represent those that voted for him/her to get in? Or once in, they should represent everyone in their electorate?

I believe a strong leader will do the latter, while a weaker person will fall for the former in an effort to seek re-election, rather than doing "what's right".

I'm sure Morrell doesn't think that. But if you don't think that's how politics works, you're very naive.
You're talking a perfect-world scenario.

Well, seems he is saying that. :lol:
The rest of my point stands, though.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby morell » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:53 pm

Q. wrote:

Wish more politicians would take that sort of stand, actually, otherwise there's no point in even having policies or elections.

Like it, or not, he's being consistent and you know what you're voting for (or against):

Jay Weatherill is a strong and vocal supporter of the GM ban, and earlier in the year said he would not be pressured by the grains industry to scrap the ban.

I don't have a strong opinion on the actual policy - other than I have issues with the commodification aspect, as per Greens policy, living organisms are not inventions. Patents on life are unethical and against the public interest, but am critical of the attacks on him for sticking to aforementioned policy, which he has been nothing but upfront and clear about.
morell
Coach

Postby morell » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:56 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:
Trader wrote:

So do you think a member of parliament should only represent those that voted for him/her to get in? Or once in, they should represent everyone in their electorate?

I believe a strong leader will do the latter, while a weaker person will fall for the former in an effort to seek re-election, rather than doing "what's right".

I'm sure Morrell doesn't think that. But if you don't think that's how politics works, you're very naive.
You're talking a perfect-world scenario.

Well, seems he is saying that. :lol:
The rest of my point stands, though.

The premise they are missing is.

They assume their opinion and viewpoint is in the majority. The way we test that is with elections. Not with the changing of a vocal wind.

They're arguing against democracy and for tyranny.
morell
Coach

Postby Q. » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:01 pm

morell wrote:
Q. wrote:

I don't have a strong opinion on the actual policy - other than I have issues with the commodification aspect, as per Greens policy, living organisms are not inventions. Patents on life are unethical and against the public interest, but am critical of the attacks on him for sticking to aforementioned policy, which he has been nothing but upfront and clear about.
Patents have existed on non-GM crops for a long time.
Q.
Coach

Postby morell » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:07 pm

The worry I have is if one day Steggles create uber-Eggs and if you have chooks at home, those eggs violate some kind of patent law. An extreme example, but there are some concerns in that space. I also understand that without GMOs half the world would probably starve.

As I said I don't have a strong opinion on it and would absolutely cede to the more informed. I'm a GMO centrist.
morell
Coach

Postby Q. » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:19 pm

morell wrote:The worry I have is if one day Steggles create uber-Eggs and if you have chooks at home, those eggs violate some kind of patent law. An extreme example, but there are some concerns in that space. I also understand that without GMOs half the world would probably starve.

As I said I don't have a strong opinion on it and would absolutely cede to the more informed. I'm a GMO centrist.
You currently wouldn't have to pay end point royalties for domestic produce.

And farmers in SA just want the option to grow GM canola like all the other states. A production system with greater options is a sustainable one.
Q.
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:21 am

morell wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:

Yeah, nothing to see here: "The truth is there are not a lot of votes out there in country South Australia for us, so in some ways we are free of the electoral imperatives about this,"

In other words: "I would have changed if it meant critical votes"

No, you're projecting your myopic view of the world onto what he is saying. Your AdelAIDS is clouding your judgement.

He absolutely should not follow the electoral prerogatives of people that didn't vote for him, because to do so, would mean he would be against the people that did! He is standing up for his electoral promises. If he didn't, you'd be the first one to say "See! He's a flip flopper politician with no backbone"

No, I’m just reading his words literally
You’re just projecting your belligerent and ignorant views.
WTF would you know about my views of the world.
Oh that’s right; you were born overseas and probably lived there til you were 4 and lived in Adelaide ever since.
Sorry, you did go to Cuba for 5 minutes
Eff off pal
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Jimmy_041 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:23 am

morell wrote:I wonder if you two apply the same rules to Turnbull and negative gearing? Hmmmmmm?

He isn't representing young people and by not changing it he is just shoving it in their face for not voting for him
He should represent everyone, not just the people that voted for him
He is a weak leader for not being able to change his mind

Right?

You really are a twat
Only weak people need a strong leader
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby morell » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:55 am

It's time for a morell rant. We're overdue.

I know nothing of your views… other than the several hundred posts on this forum of course. If they aren’t representational of your views, then I apologise, I can only base my thoughts on your opines in those posts as I have no idea who you actually are. Don’t forget, I read every page of this thread when I first discovered it. Tell us more about how you’re moving overseas if Labor get in, give us some more mixing of swear words in Labor politicians surnames and that our Economy will “be like Greece” soon enough….

But, if your posts are representative of your views, which I think we all know they are, then those views are myopic in the truest sense of the word, in that they are always one-sided, lack nuance and are decidedly self-centred. You’re no orphan in this regard, but you have seemingly picked your “side” and no matter what evidence is provided to you, no matter what anyone says - that’s your side and you’re sticking to it. That side is “anti-Labor”. It’s the same thing progressive people do with Trump.

In this example, you’ve cherry picked a quote out of an already cherry picked article out of an already cherry picked political statement and then since it’s not on your “side” you try and infer that the Premier is purposefully and malevolently trying to screw over his constituency. Jimmy that’s absolutely ridiculous. He was merely saying that he is sticking to what he said and holding his positon and that people in those areas knew that was his positon and didn’t vote for him accordingly. Which is absolutely fine! That’s how this system of ours works. We ought not have it any other way.

Disagree with the policy. Fine. Disagree with his position on the policy. Fine. Perhaps even have a crack at his choice of words. But for goodness sake get your mind out of this ideological side picking style thinking. It’s unhealthy for you and the society you belong to.

“Only weak people need strong leaders” is perhaps one of the most mind bogglingly stupid things you’ve said. And that’s saying something. Leadership can take many forms – it can mean showing empathy, it can mean showing courage, it can mean knowing when to cede. It can mean lots of different things. Conflating leadership with strength and following with weakness is thinking from a 1920s coal mine. Read more, learn more, open your mind.

As for my credibility or otherwise because I am an immigrant and have travelled a bit. Firstly, stop listening to Keefy. Secondly, that’s tough to judge, who knows really, that’s the beauty of places like this forum, people can only judge one on the merits of the content they post. I’d suggest that resorting to name calling like “**** wit” and “twat” without refuting anything merely because someone challenged your thoughts would probably erode at that credibility, but hey, that’s just my standard.
morell
Coach

Postby MW » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:01 am

Listened to Nick X on 5AA this morning...he is dead set panicking on the thought of himself becoming Premier.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2590 times
Been liked: 1830 times

Postby Booney » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:11 am

MW wrote:Listened to Nick X on 5AA this morning...he is dead set panicking on the thought of himself becoming Premier.

He sure is, let's hope it doesn't come to that, if it does you can change the name of "Speaker of the House" to "Ring Master", will be a ******* circus.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7481 times
Been liked: 10770 times

Postby MW » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:17 am

Listening to him scramble for policy was not too different to that door stop of Billy Brownless the footy show keep bringing up. Had no idea.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2590 times
Been liked: 1830 times

Postby Booney » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:24 am

He's a clown. His party tricks are nothing more than that and if people see SA Best as a viable alternative we're screwed.

But, he'll work a Trump like campaign to mobilize those who are despondent about the ALP's performance in many areas and suspicious of the Libs factional infighting being one fat bastard dinner away from knifing Marshall.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7481 times
Been liked: 10770 times

Postby morell » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:33 am

MW wrote:Listening to him scramble for policy was not too different to that door stop of Billy Brownless the footy show keep bringing up. Had no idea.
I actually think there needs to be more regulation around this.

You should have to submit formal documentation on what your policies are to be considered for elections. I like Nick, but I cannot vote for his party if I don't know what they stand for.

Otherwise it's nothing more than a reality TV show.
morell
Coach

Postby heater31 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:34 am

Booney wrote:He's a clown. His party tricks are nothing more than that and if people see SA Best as a viable alternative we're screwed.

But, he'll work a Trump like campaign to mobilize those who are despondent about the ALP's performance in many areas and suspicious of the Libs factional infighting being one fat bastard dinner away from knifing Marshall.
Something is going to have to give to force change.

Only struck me yesterday that there are kids in SA entering their final 2 years of High School and have only ever known Labor to be in power. What have they got to show for it? A Tertiary education system that can't organise a chook raffle :shock:

If Labor want to improve things I hope they have more candidates like Jayne Stinson. Electoral commission might as well declare the seat of Badcoe hers now. Done huge amounts of work in the community whilst I believe the Liberal candidate is the City of Unley Mayor but I cant be sure because the Liberal Party is nowhere to be seen :shock:
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby morell » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:38 am

What have they got to show for it?

One of the most liveable and prosperous cities in the world not good enough?
morell
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:45 am

I wanna see more Jimmy vs Morell!! :D :D
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3995 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics