The South Australian Political Landscape

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: The South Australian Political Landscape

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:10 pm

stan wrote:Honestly this has to be the election the libs win. Surely they couldn't stuff up, surely.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

With S Marshall at the helm they could
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11958 times
Been liked: 3651 times

Postby stan » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:22 pm

11am 14th march. Captain Jay will tell us how he plans to keep the lights on.

Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1256 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:03 pm

THE South Australian government has unveiled ambitious new plans to build a gas power station and battery storage facility to fix its power problems.
Premier Jay Weatherill announced the $550 million six-point plan during a press conference this morning.
He said the events of February 8 were a powerful indication of a broken national electricity market.
“On that occasion, we had a private national electricity market that chose to black-out South Australians rather than turn on a power station,” Mr Weatherill said. “This is a totally unacceptable state of affairs.”
Mr Weatherill’s plan involves the state government building Australia’s largest battery facility to store renewable energy and a new 250 megawatt gas-fired power plant.
According to The Advertiser, the new power plant is expected to cost $360 million and would deliver close to 10 per cent of the state’s peak demand.
The battery storage would be funded as part of a new $150 million renewable technology fund.
The government would also encourage the construction of a new privately-owned power station using a government bulk buy power contract.
Other elements of the strategy include legislation to give the Energy Minister direct power to intervene in the electricity market and force power stations to fire up in times of need.

The government will also set an “energy security target” to force electricity retailers to buy 36 per cent of their power from locally-generated baseload sources in SA.
Mr Weatherill said he wanted to put South Australian gas ahead of Victorian coal, and to ensure South Australian power was reserved for South Australians.
“We have expert advice that this will reduce the price of electricity when competitive pressures are returned to the market, which this plans to achieve,” he said.

When asked whether it would have been cheaper to pay the Port Augusta coal-fired power station to fire up, Mr Weatherill said it didn’t offer what the state needed.
“What we have here is an ageing coal-fired power station that couldn’t guarantee its capacity to gain the fuel necessary at an economic price to secure its future,” he said. “That is the past. We are talking about the future.”
Mr Weatherill said he hadn’t told Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull yet about the state’s plan but hoped to do so soon.
He said that the government-owned gas power plant would be there provide for peak demand and emergency responses.
“In the long term it also sits there as an investment in new generation capacity here in SA,” he said.
“The private sector is not building new generation. That is why government is stepping up and taking control of our energy future by investing in new generation.”

BILLIONAIRES’ BET TO FIX STATE’S POWER PROBLEMS
The state’s energy woes have captured the attention of people around the country and even the interest of tech billionaire Elon Musk, who has said he can fix the problem in 100 days by installing a huge battery farm.
Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes, who is helping to get the project off the ground, told ABC there was a good chance of getting funding and a political commitment for the large-scale battery storage facility.
“It’s been extremely surprising ... the number of people who have reached out,” Mr Cannon-Brookes said.
He said he had been approached by high net worth individuals, a few crowdfunding projects and corporate groups. But while it may be possible to get the facility built “altruistically”, he said it would be better to prove the commercial viability of the project so that it could then be a model for more projects around Australia.
“I’m just trying to change the conversation so we talk about something other than coal and gas as a potential solution going forward for the country,” Mr Cannon-Brookes said.
“It’s a little embarrassing as to how fast and how far it has gone.”
Mr Weatherill has spoken with Mr Musk about the project but it’s unclear whether it will be part of the state’s new energy strategy.
Other options could include building a new interconnector to NSW, building pumped hydro storage, opening up more gas power or even the state government buying back South Australia’s privatised electricity grid.

Mr Koutsantonis said the state government would be using “every aspect of our arsenal” to tackle the problem, and intended to have its solution in place for next summer.
The state currently gets about 40 per cent of its electricity from renewable sources like wind and solar, with the rest coming from gas generation and through the Heywood connector that provides electricity from Victoria.
It follows a statewide blackout in September last year when freak storms brought down major transmission lines in the state’s north. The state also experienced a summer of significant strain on the state’s energy network when heatwave conditions frequently raised the possibility of power cuts.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7532 times
Been liked: 10839 times

Postby stan » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:15 pm

The federal LNP reaponse to SA's power plan is absolutely mind blowing. Josh Frydenberg, I dont think there are words to describe your press conference.

stan
Coach

Postby Magellan » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:33 pm

stan wrote:The federal LNP reaponse to SA's power plan is absolutely mind blowing. Josh Frydenberg, I dont think there are words to describe your press conference.

Didn't catch it, what did he say?
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:53 pm

Magellan wrote:
stan wrote:The federal LNP reaponse to SA's power plan is absolutely mind blowing. Josh Frydenberg, I dont think there are words to describe your press conference.

Didn't miss much.
But basically we will be paying more by doing this and that we put too much faith in renewables.
The renewables he may have a point with, but I don't mind the idea of us controlling our own power. The CEO of the electricity council says on one hand it's silly for us to go down this path, but then says that with a generator in Vic closing down, that next summer there is more chance of us having blackouts cos there may not be enough power for Victoria....
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby stan » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:47 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
Magellan wrote:

Didn't miss much.
But basically we will be paying more by doing this and that we put too much faith in renewables.
The renewables he may have a point with, but I don't mind the idea of us controlling our own power. The CEO of the electricity council says on one hand it's silly for us to go down this path, but then says that with a generator in Vic closing down, that next summer there is more chance of us having blackouts cos there may not be enough power for Victoria....

Yep basically it.

He is correct on renewables but then a gas fired plant is not renewable so theres that.

What I have an issue with us that the state government come up with a plan after being called lazy on energy policy. Then the response from the feds is thats crap.

Well played feds, well played.
stan
Coach

Postby Magellan » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:08 am

stan wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
Magellan wrote:

Didn't miss much.

Yep basically it.

He is correct on renewables but then a gas fired plant is not renewable so theres that.

What I have an issue with us that the state government come up with a plan after being called lazy on energy policy. Then the response from the feds is thats crap.

Well played feds, well played.

Righto, thanks. Not altogether surprising.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby stan » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:19 am

Whilst I think the additional generation is required, clearly we can all see this, I dont fully agree with our energy policy.

However the response from the federal government was clearly from one on the ropes. How about simething half useful rather that full political spin 24/7. Its just the same old out of the Turnball government. All talk and spin and nothing else.

stan
Coach

Postby Trader » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:37 pm

So how does this battery actually work?

My understanding, which comes from a very limited look into the energy issue, is basically as follows:
  1. South Australia massively increased our portion of energy generation which comes from renewables - now at approx 40%.
  2. Green energy has environmental benefits, however doesn't have the ability to be effectively stored.
  3. Green energy is generally produced most effectively during the morning (wind) or middle of the day (solar).
  4. Peak demand generally comes in the early evening when everyone gets home from work and turns on the air con, lights, tvs, starts cooking, etc.
  5. Our green based power generation can't keep up in the early evening, so we pull energy across the boarder as part of the national grid.
  6. When it's heat wave conditions in Victoria, they use their power themselves, so can't supply us, and we get hit with load shedding (or a storm breaks the connector)

So getting back to the battery, will this be a big storage device that saves up the green energy made during the morning, to be released to the grid in early evening, effectively being charged and discharged on a daily basis, and removing our reliance on the Victorian connector.

Or, will it be more like a backup device that sits there fully charged and then when load shedding is called for, it pushes power to the grid to prevent our blackouts?
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:40 pm

Using that imaginary surplus............
He says $300m. Well, have a look at the attachment for where its coming from (and going)
So, based upon the incoming one-off payment of $948m in 2016-17, that leaves a $648m deficit on that line alone
Talk about smoke and mirrors accounting.

I'll just put this here for the next blackout. Koutsantonis has never delivered a promise in 3 years so lets see how is vow to fix blackouts goes
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... cf9e2bbcaf
Attachments
MAC 2016 MYBR.png
MAC 2016 MYBR.png (26.77 KiB) Viewed 234 times
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 728 times
Been liked: 1088 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Booney » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:06 pm

Watch Snelling trot out the "Technical completion" of the nRAH tomorrow. All this means is they can start the 90 day test period, which needs to run smoothly to ensure hand over at the end of the 90 days.

Smug little prick said he was like a "proud Dad" the other day, talking about the nRAH. Wanker.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7532 times
Been liked: 10839 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:20 pm

Booney wrote:Watch Snelling trot out the "Technical completion" of the nRAH tomorrow. All this means is they can start the 90 day test period, which needs to run smoothly to ensure hand over at the end of the 90 days.

Smug little prick said he was like a "proud Dad" the other day, talking about the nRAH. Wanker.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 20a27f9db5

Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 728 times
Been liked: 1088 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Grenville » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:00 pm

Booney wrote:Watch Snelling trot out the "Technical completion" of the nRAH tomorrow. All this means is they can start the 90 day test period, which needs to run smoothly to ensure hand over at the end of the 90 days.

Francis Bedford speaks highly of him.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby MW » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:29 pm

Interesting move by Jay this morning gate crashing a federal announcement...he is on tilt at the moment.
Turbo Tom must be licking his lips for a leadership spill...
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2640 times
Been liked: 1868 times

Postby stan » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:34 pm

Even Stevo Marshall can win from here.

stan
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:04 pm

MW wrote:Interesting move by Jay this morning gate crashing a federal announcement...he is on tilt at the moment.
Turbo Tom must be licking his lips for a leadership spill...

I enjoyed it! :lol:
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3196 times
Been liked: 4054 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:26 pm

I haven't seen the presser yet.
But read a couple of reports.
I think its great that Jay did what he did, especially after shizenbergs response the other day.
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby stan » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:48 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:I haven't seen the presser yet.
I think its great that Jay did what he did, especially after shizenbergs response the other day.

Bring back the biff. We could have a cage fight event here in Adelaide between Frydenberg and Weatherald.
stan
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:49 pm

stan wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:I haven't seen the presser yet.

Bring back the biff. We could have a cage fight event here in Adelaide between Frydenberg and Weatherald.

Would get more people than the recent Green-Mundine....

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics