'Peoples Revolt' Rally

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: 'Peoples Revolt' Rally

Postby Gozu » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:58 pm

"Placards not the only thing on display as the denialists gather":

What was interesting about the crowd wasn’t so much its average age — 60, at least, meaning most of them would likely 1. be over-compensated for a carbon price and 2. never live to see the really serious effects of climate change — but its colour. If you didn’t know that climate denialism was primarily a feature of the over-55 demographic, you could explain the age thing away by saying it was a weekday rally and lots of other supporters would have been at work. But there was no multiculturalism here, and not just among the small One Nation contingent forlornly holding up “Pauline was right” signs. This was a monocultural crowd, overwhelmingly Anglo-Celtic in the old phrase.

Faced with the revolt of these people in the form of One Nation, John Howard exploited the asylum seeker issue brilliantly as a form of a bait-and-switch — he took a tough line on asylum seekers, while massively cranking up permanent and temporary immigration, as the economy demanded. He convinced One Nation voters he was one of them, while doing the very thing that they were most aggrieved about, in the interests of good economic policy. It was one of Howard’s political masterstrokes.

http://www.crikey.com.au/2011/03/24/pla ... ts-gather/
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby Gozu » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:01 pm

"Unhelpful friends":

I don’t know why you’d hold a rally during the week – unless your target demographic was those who haven’t worked for years – but the “We will never accept the legitimacy of a non-Liberal government” crowd’s effort in Canberra yesterday was hardly a great success – for them or the politicians they meant to support but actually damaged.

Notwithstanding their silly timing, I was surprised that for this “people’s revolt” where they had some of the biggest mouthpieces in the largest capitals riling up their listeners, and buses available to bring them all to Canberra, they could manage barely a third (if that) of the attendees GetUp! managed to organise to oppose them in a few days before the last occasion. Sure, they deride those Australians as “rent-a-crowd” (although I don’t believe GetUp even provided buses for them, let alone paid them) – but if you’re going to pretend to be a “people’s revolt”, you kind of want the pictures to at least demonstrate a reasonable number of actual people there.

http://blogs.crikey.com.au/purepoison/2 ... /#comments
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Been liked: 660 times

Postby fish » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:20 pm

The Adelaide "Peoples Revolt" rally saw a whopping 50 people turn up! :lol:
fish
Coach

Has liked: 184 times
Been liked: 48 times

Postby dedja » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:23 pm

That will teach them to have the rally when bingo is on ...
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 1024 times

Postby fish » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:25 pm

My prediction is looking a little more likely with Tony Abbott's latest shenanigans.

The "Peoples Revolt" rallies are looking very similar to John Hewsons "Labors got to go" rallies, when he snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.
fish
Coach

Postby dedja » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:37 pm

Those damn born-to-rulers just don't have any patience.

Instead of trying to force an early election, they just need to keep their head down and they should win the next election relatively easily.

The Mad Monk hasn't worked out that the threat of another election after the hung state of the last one is one of the major reasons the independents sided with Labor in the first place.
dedja
Coach

Postby redandblack » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:40 pm

fish wrote:My prediction is looking a little more likely with Tony Abbott's latest shenanigans.

The "Peoples Revolt" rallies are looking very similar to John Hewsons "Labors got to go" rallies, when he snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

I think my bet on the post after yours is looking OK too, fish.
redandblack

Postby fish » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:42 pm

redandblack wrote:
fish wrote:My prediction is looking a little more likely with Tony Abbott's latest shenanigans.

I think my bet on the post after yours is looking OK too, fish.
southee will be spewing...
fish
Coach

Postby Squawk » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:54 pm

I didn't hear about this until tonight. I say Julia saying the banners were sexist. I didn't see the banners other than the pics here.

Question - is "bitch" in that context, really a sexist use of the word? It seems to be more like an alternative word for "lacky". If it is sexist, then what about the democrats slogan of "keep the bastards honest" - was/is that sexist too?

By the looks of things though, Abbott will rue that picture of himself before that banner. It could even be filed away for use against him in the next election campaign. I wonder where Joe Hockey was amidst all of this?
Steve Bradbury and Michael Milton. Aussie Legends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnztSjUB2U
Squawk
Assistant Coach

Been liked: 3 times

Postby fish » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:00 am

Am wondering whether safooty.net's very own elderly gentleman and climate change skeptic PSYBER was one of the 50 people at the Adelaide "Peoples Revolt" rally?
fish
Coach

Postby Q. » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:02 am

fish wrote:Am wondering whether safooty.net's very own elderly gentleman and climate change skeptic PSYBER was one of the 50 people at the Adelaide "Peoples Revolt" rally?

He will take umbrage to you calling him 'elderly' :lol:
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby dedja » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:56 am

exactly ... call him an old bastard instead :shock:
dedja
Coach

Postby mick » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:55 am

As I said before these rallies mean nothing, the ballot box will decide this issue and I know which side of the argument I would rather sell. Petrol is now getting close to $1.50 a litre wanna tell the people in the Western and outer suburbs we're gonna put t up more? Whoever said Abbott should just back is right, his attendence at that rally was a huge mistake. Whether the picture with the "bitch" poster damages him will depend on how unpopular the government is by the next election. I must say I agree with Abbott yesterday we saw "precious Julia" , the feigned outrage of the poster was amusing though. If you are in politics on either side that sort of abuse is par for the course, Julia is a tough nut, I doubt it really worried her.
mick
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby redandblack » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:54 am

I don't think Julia has criticised the banners or the people attending at all, mick.
redandblack

Postby Magpiespower » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:19 am

mick wrote:Julia is a tough nut, I doubt it really worried her.

Bet she's seen and heard a helluva lot worse in caucus.

Never mind while fighting for pre-selection many moons ago...

:lol:
Everyone can eat s#!t! A big bag of s#!t! I'm the greatest man in the world!
Magpiespower
Coach

Been liked: 125 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Bat Pad » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:41 am

redandblack wrote:I don't think Julia has criticised the banners or the people attending at all, mick.

Criticising Abbott for 'associating' with them is criticising those he associates with.
Bat Pad
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 1 time

Postby OnSong » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:45 am

Quichey wrote:
fish wrote:Am wondering whether safooty.net's very own elderly gentleman and climate change skeptic PSYBER was one of the 50 people at the Adelaide "Peoples Revolt" rally?

He probably wasn't there but we're likely to get a 300 word post detailing where he was!
Where art thou Psyber?
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 533 times
Been liked: 551 times

Postby Bat Pad » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:47 am

OnSong wrote:
Quichey wrote:

He probably wasn't there but we're likely to get a 300 word post detailing where he was!
Where art thou Psyber?

When and where was this rally? I never heard about it.
Bat Pad
League Bench Warmer

Postby redandblack » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:58 am

Bat Pad wrote:
redandblack wrote:I don't think Julia has criticised the banners or the people attending at all, mick.

Criticising Abbott for 'associating' with them is criticising those he associates with.

My statement is still correct, BP.

She's criticised his judgement in speaking at a rally and most commentators are saying the same.

I think the political reality is that he's been greatly damaged by this.
redandblack

Postby Bat Pad » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:12 am

redandblack wrote:
Bat Pad wrote:

My statement is still correct, BP.

She's criticised his judgement in speaking at a rally and most commentators are saying the same.

I think the political reality is that he's been greatly damaged by this.

Where is the bad judgment then if she has no problem with the people at the rally?
Bat Pad
League Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics