The South Australian Political Landscape

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: The South Australian Political Landscape

Postby bennymacca » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:41 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:And I was proven right in saying Labor would send us further down the gurgler in 2010 and they didn't let me down

so opinions can substitute for fact now can they?

Jimmy_041 wrote:We have been promised balanced budgets and/or surpluses ever since 2010 and have just gone further into the red

both sides will promise this, knowing full well that it is mostly out of their hands on both sides (cf federal parliament)

Jimmy_041 wrote:Whether we should cut the PS, or not, every Treasurer promised it and didn't deliver

thats because it makes economic sense, because it is a huge expense, so money can be found here when they are doing their pre-election costings

BUT it is immensely unpopular because of the fact that it is employs such a huge proportion of the state (see how unpopular cambell newman was for cutting the PS)
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Chuck Wepner » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:21 pm

Psyber wrote:The basic fact remains that if 15% of the workforce are in the public services the other 85% pay for them, and if 30% are in the public service the other 70% pay for them. Somewhere there is a critical point in the affordability and effectiveness curve.

The lower functions are often understaffed - e.g. those serving the public at the counter - but that is less often the case further up the tree.

The public service always spends its budget and hoards staff against times when they fear they may be busy or in need. I recall an administrator in a public hospital who obviously had the time to trot around the hospital canvassing the doctors about whether they needed new rugs or other cheap items for their offices because he had $100K to get rid off so it wasn't lopped off next years budget, but it had to be in under $100 items so he didn't have to report the details to head office.

Taking an example from the Federal public service, when my wife was in charge of a section of what later became Centrelink[, there was a chronic shortage of counter staff while those from Grade 3 up were not always busy, and it was common practice to "save work" to keep something visible in their in tray. She was taken to task for sometimes helping out on the counter by other section heads, and those above, on the grounds that "You make it look like we don't have our own work to do!"

She sometimes didn't any more than they did which was why she helped out the junior staff.

Thank goodness things have changed in the Public Service since the 1980's. :roll:
I say no to drugs, but they don’t listen.
Chuck Wepner
Under 16s

Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 23 times
Grassroots Team: United Yeelanna

Postby Psyber » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:22 am

Looking back over decades, I think it goes in cycles - a tendency to steady growth and occasional pruning.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby bennymacca » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:11 am

Psyber wrote:Looking back over decades, I think it goes in cycles - a tendency to steady growth and occasional pruning.

At least where I work it has been much worse than that. Huge booms, then realising the organisation is too big so recruitment freezes, occasional VRs. Instead of smaller sustained replenishment. Not sure what as public service is like
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:39 am

bennymacca wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:And I was proven right in saying Labor would send us further down the gurgler in 2010 and they didn't let me down

so opinions can substitute for fact now can they?

Happy to provide economic statistics to support my case that we are far worse off now than 2010. Give me some time - I run a small business.

Jimmy_041 wrote:We have been promised balanced budgets and/or surpluses ever since 2010 and have just gone further into the red

both sides will promise this, knowing full well that it is mostly out of their hands on both sides (cf federal parliament)

No - don't do a Weatherill and divert the statement - I'm talking about SA Labor Treasurers economic promises 2010 - 2013

Jimmy_041 wrote:Whether we should cut the PS, or not, every Treasurer promised it and didn't deliver

thats because it makes economic sense, because it is a huge expense, so money can be found here when they are doing their pre-election costings

BUT it is immensely unpopular because of the fact that it is employs such a huge proportion of the state (see how unpopular cambell newman was for cutting the PS)

Then why did the SA Labor Treasurers promise it? Foley and Snelling? Even Weatherill promised 5000+ in the last budget!!!!
It is only unpopular with the Labor people. Even pensioners hate governments having budget deficits because governments make them live off nothing.
Where's the surplus we were promised? Oh yeah, I forgot, Abbott screwed us in the past 6 months. They wont give any free money to Jay who can only bleat for handouts because he's got no money.
Queensland - good example :roll: Gee, they're down to 55-45 after all the harsh work they've done fixing up their problems (which were half ours) and Newman is preferred Premier by 45-32. There is nothing unusual in the drop of support for a new government in the first couple of years. Look on the bright side; once the hard work takes effect, the support will come back again, they'll get everything into surplus, and eventually Labor will get re-elected again to spend it all again.
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 726 times
Been liked: 1082 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby bennymacca » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:27 am

Good post. Obviously we are from different sides of the divide, but I can see where you are coming from. I too think huge deficits are a bad thing. The one thing I'm sure we disagree on though is I am quite happy to pay a higher tax rate if that money gets spent properly, on infrastructure, whereas people on the right would rather that money in their pocket. Probably the biggest difference in politics.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:38 am

Win! :D

Now, I'll concede something
Look at the attached as to where the increase in PS numbers has gone

Mind you, it's come from the Office of Propaganda so I'm cautious........
Attachments
files.oper.sa.gov.au_files_wic--data_sa-public-sector-frontline-back-office-analysis-june-2010-2013.pdf
(60.94 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Psyber » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:26 pm

bennymacca wrote:Good post. Obviously we are from different sides of the divide, but I can see where you are coming from. I too think huge deficits are a bad thing. The one thing I'm sure we disagree on though is I am quite happy to pay a higher tax rate if that money gets spent properly, on infrastructure, whereas people on the right would rather that money in their pocket. Probably the biggest difference in politics.

Despite being a Liberal Party member - even an official at local level - I'd be happy to pay a higher tax rate if I thought money was being spent on realistic and genuinely useful projects rather than populist grandstanding to appeal to voters in some marginal seats.

I'm sceptical because:
1. Adelaide Oval will serve less than 2% of the population.
2. I suspect a bitumen track to the south on which to run hybrid buses, that could be used in multiple locations, may have been a better investment than the expensive re-building of the train lines and (presumably) very expensive electrification.**

**I don't believe there will be the industrialisation in that direction that will require heavy freight capacity rather than just efficient public transport.
(In the north that may be more likely - especially with a connection to the Port.)
Psyber
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:52 pm

thats always the argument though with infrastructure. I dont use the southern expressway, so why should i pay for it in my taxes?

because it is in the public good thats why. similarly, funding things like the arts is something i support, even though i am not interested in 90% of it.

so as long as it is balanced i have no problem with it.

i guess thats where the stadium debate comes in. I support some government money for things like stadiums, but i have heard it mentioned that andrew demetreiu has negotiated masterfully in that he has managed to get stadiums built in both perth and adelaide without the AFL actually having to throw any money in. and i think thats actually a pretty fair point. the afl should have to put money in for that too.

I think public transport is one area that is severely lacking in south australia, and i would have been happy for more money to be spent on that than the stadium.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:16 pm

So Psyber, do you think Labor pulling out the usual Commonwealth Games bid is merely the old Roman trick of keeping the masses happy whilst everything else goes to $hit?
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:39 am

I only briefly heard the exchange on 5AA this morning, the pro liberal show it has become

Vicky Chapman described Tommy K as a 'mosquito on heroin'

I believe that was the term used, it didn't deter Tom at all, I think he loves the attention
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11922 times
Been liked: 3633 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:06 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
Vicky Chapman described Tommy K as a 'mosquito on heroin'

Sounds pretty accurate haha.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Gozu » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:26 pm

Sounds like the end of Ann Bressington's political career:

Political analysts have told InDaily she “would barely get a vote” if she stood on her own in 2014.

After she split from Xenophon with a stinging speech in 2007, her office quickly became a “go-to” place for people who couldn’t get a hearing from other MPs; as a result she attracted a wide range of cause-pushers and conspiracy theorists.

She became an enthusiastic supporter of British climate skeptic Christopher Monckton, sponsoring his trip to Adelaide in early 2013.

Her introduction speech at Monckton’s local appearance went viral, racking up more than 100,000 views on YouTube.

Bressington was also deeply concerned about fluoride in the water which she says may be the biggest “health fraud” of our time.

InDaily reported in September last year that Michael Figwer, a lawyer struck off the Roll of Legal Practitioners, had been employed by Bressington as a researcher.

http://indaily.com.au/news/2014/02/19/bressington-race/
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby Psyber » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:11 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:Win! :D

Now, I'll concede something
Look at the attached as to where the increase in PS numbers has gone

Mind you, it's come from the Office of Propaganda so I'm cautious........

I'd like to see the chart for the Rann years prior to 2010 as well.
Psyber
Coach

Postby Psyber » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:17 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:So Psyber, do you think Labor pulling out the usual Commonwealth Games bid is merely the old Roman trick of keeping the masses happy whilst everything else goes to $hit?

The Bread and Circuses technique has been used to keep the masses on side since Roman times - with varying degrees of success.
Sometimes is overdone and the clamour for "More!" gets out of hand - like Greece for example (and some other Mediterranean countries).

I'm a sceptic about the real value of such events, except to the power-brokers.
Psyber
Coach

Postby Gozu » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:58 am

Liberals candidate for Ramsay Anthony Antoniadis' political career over:

A LIBERAL candidate for the state election has been caught out calling would-be constituents smelly and work-shy — as well as implying they are criminals and more interested in gambling than in the welfare of their children.

The Liberal candidate for Ramsay — a seat centred on Salisbury — Anthony Antoniadis, made the derogatory comments in a series of Facebook posts.

Mr Antoniadis runs the Parabanks newsagency in the area and criticised the personal hygiene of the customers who came to his shop.

The 26-year-old initially told The Advertiser he believed “other people’’ had accessed his Facebook page and had written the comments, some of which date back to 2010 but also include comments made this year.

“There are times when people have accessed my Facebook, including work colleagues, and I don’t wish to comment any further on those issues but I certainly have a huge amount of respect for all of my constituents,’’ he said.

However, Liberal campaign spokesman Rob Lucas later said Mr Antoniadis was not using hacking as his defence, and accepted he had made most of the comments.

http://www.news.com.au/national/south-a ... 6834090450

I suspect a steep downturn in business for Parabanks newsagency!
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:17 pm

and you wonder why these idiots have got us into so much shite

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/adelaides-new-165m-wayville-rail-station-will-only-be-used-during-major-events/story-fni6uo1m-1226834851171

Infrastructure Minister Tom Koutsantonis said it would be used by more than 1 million visitors to the showgrounds each year for events and was saving $130,000 a year that was usually spent on a temporary platform for the Royal Adelaide Show.

That means the station would pay for itself within 13 years, not taking into account maintenance work, but Unley councillor Michael Saies thinks it was a waste of money.

eeerrrr, that's 127 years Tom, and I'm betting the maintenance bill will be $130k pa before long
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby StrayDog » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:27 pm

Gozu wrote:Liberals candidate for Ramsay Anthony Antoniadis' political career over:

http://www.news.com.au/national/south-a ... 6834090450

I suspect a steep downturn in business for Parabanks newsagency!

"Premier Jay Weatherill said it “beggars belief” that Mr Marshall had not disendorsed Mr Antoniadis."

Weatherill knows full well the likelihood of the Libs chances in Ramsay with or without this bloke and that there's no way Marshall is going to amputate this close to the poll. Marshall will just do what's best for his party and put a few bandages on the situation in the interim.

But, yeah, I doubt Antionadis will be around for long thereafter. In Ramsay anyway.
StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1159 times
Been liked: 194 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:29 pm

no way was he ever going to win in Ramsay anyway, but still is a pretty bad look for them
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:39 pm

Good to see Weatherill concentrating on the important issues.

I heard them this morning: Weatherill is like a hungry dog looking for any bone to gnaw on (Tommy K always looks and sounds like that.)

Marshall should have just said "He was stupid and we're going to leave him to face the music from the constituents of Ramsay and explain his actions to them. He will be judged by them; not the ALP"

I'm sure 95% of Adelaide really couldn't give a toss
Jimmy_041
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics