The South Australian Political Landscape

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: The South Australian Political Landscape

Postby Psyber » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:27 pm

Gozu wrote:
tipper wrote:personally my perception of the greens is the vocal ones fit the stereo type outlined above. but i agree that probably the majority of voters fit the second category.

i have actually given my vote to the greens in the past (not every time, but on the odd occasion) however more recently i have gone right off them and hope they die a horrible death at this next election. their policies seem to be dominated by loonie ideas, and they seem hell bent on pushing their idea of society on the rest of us, whether we like it or not. i realise that is no different to the major parties, however they dont seem to have the same level of insanity attached to their views.
WorkChoices.
As I said to Alexander Downer, the main problem with WorkChoices was that the wrongful dismissal exemption applied to companies with (IIRC) less than 60 employees whereas it should have been restricted to smaller companies with 10 less than 10 employees, and this allowed larger companies (like Coles) to chop their organisation into small sub-companies to qualify.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Roxy the Rat Girl » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:13 pm

Psyber wrote:
Gozu wrote:
tipper wrote:personally my perception of the greens is the vocal ones fit the stereo type outlined above. but i agree that probably the majority of voters fit the second category.

i have actually given my vote to the greens in the past (not every time, but on the odd occasion) however more recently i have gone right off them and hope they die a horrible death at this next election. their policies seem to be dominated by loonie ideas, and they seem hell bent on pushing their idea of society on the rest of us, whether we like it or not. i realise that is no different to the major parties, however they dont seem to have the same level of insanity attached to their views.
WorkChoices.
As I said to Alexander Downer, the main problem with WorkChoices was that the wrongful dismissal exemption applied to companies with (IIRC) less than 60 employees whereas it should have been restricted to smaller companies with 10 less than 10 employees, and this allowed larger companies (like Coles) to chop their organisation into small sub-companies to qualify.

I think work choices may have had a few more problems than that if you were an unskilled worker and suddenly were expected to negotiate a contract with your employer. I think you might find yourself with very little bargaining power, especially in tight economic times such as these.
"cricket is the most important activity in men's lives, the most important thread in the fabric of the cosmos"
Roxy the Rat Girl
Under 18s

Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 34 times
Grassroots Team: Langhorne Creek

Postby Psyber » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:30 pm

Roxy the Rat Girl wrote: I think work choices may have had a few more problems than that if you were an unskilled worker and suddenly were expected to negotiate a contract with your employer. I think you might find yourself with very little bargaining power, especially in tight economic times such as these.
I tend to agree with you there, too.
I tend to favour local enterprise based unions though, rather than the big national ones which seem to lose sight of whom they are supposed to represent in giving priority to their pursuit of political clout. I found that out in the 1990s, trying to stick up for workers I was involved in assessing and treating, who were making WorkCover claims.
Psyber
Coach

Postby Roxy the Rat Girl » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:38 pm

Absolutely - just look at the disgusting performance of the HSU, notably Craig Thompson, and the contempt and arrogance with which they have treated their members. Also the lure of progression through the union ranks to Labor politician ensures they will tow the party line if they wish to be even moderately successful. Same with elected Local Government members who are aligned to political parties and make decisions that are in the best interest of the party rather than the citizens they are elected to represent. It really annoys me :evil:
"cricket is the most important activity in men's lives, the most important thread in the fabric of the cosmos"
Roxy the Rat Girl
Under 18s

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:58 pm

holdens reducing 400 jobs at elizabeth
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11912 times
Been liked: 3627 times

Postby Roxy the Rat Girl » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:16 pm

Terrible state of affairs for the workers at Holdens.
Roxy the Rat Girl
Under 18s

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:16 pm

*uck me

KOALAS to Hong Kong and an investment in a McLaren Vale winery have been spruiked as early successes of the South Australian business and government delegation to China.
Premier Jay Weatherill defended his trip to South Australia’s largest trading partner in the face of bad news on the China-backed Arafura Resources processing project in Whyalla (see page one) and the Opposition’s claim that his trip was a waste of time.
“It’s not government that makes business opportunities; business creates business,” Opposition Leader Steven Marshall said today.
Weatherill said the criticism was misplaced.
“Business is here as part of the delegation,” he said. “There are 60 representatives of business.
“The (Opposition’s) criticism completely misunderstands the way business in China is done.
“Government is a central part of business in China – nothing can be done in China without government approval.”
The Premier said the group today was celebrating an investment by China in McLaren Vale winery GemTree and the signing of an agreement to provide eight koalas to Ocean Park in Hong Kong.
Ranked as one of the 10 most popular theme parks in the world by Forbes magazine, Ocean Park is developing a $5m enclosure to house the koalas, to be transferred in August next year.
Weatherill, who witnessed the signing in Hong Kong, said the agreement represented a fantastic opportunity to contribute to the state’s goal of increasing the number of Chinese visitors to South Australia.
“Through this arrangement the attractions of South Australia will be on display to the many millions of annual visitors to Ocean Park,” Weatherill said
“To house the koalas, Ocean Park Zoo will be developing a $5 million themed enclosure and growing a 13ha eucalyptus forest in Guangzhou, China.”
Cleland Wildlife Park will raise the koalas and the Department of Environment, Water and Natural Resources will be responsible for technical advice and overseeing the transfer.
Staff from Cleland Wildlife Park are working with Ocean Park to prepare for their arrival, including training zoo keepers, vets and other staff, advising on the enclosure and facilities and the planting and care of eucalyptus species.

1. The Gemtree investment is old news
2. Those poor koalas will be shi**ing themselves wondering when they get chucked in the pot
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 726 times
Been liked: 1080 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Gozu » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:21 pm

I hope it doesn't go ahead after Downer's f__k up with the panda's at Adelaide Zoo.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby Psyber » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:12 pm

Gozu wrote:I hope it doesn't go ahead after Downer's f__k up with the panda's at Adelaide Zoo.
As Life Member of the Zoological Society I'm still annoyed that the Society ran with the Panda expenditure and didn't say "No thanks!" to the whole deal unless a government - state or federal - wants to pay all expenses. I think the administration was conned by departmental officials into thinking it would be a prestige thing, and a money spinner, instead of a 7 day wonder.
Psyber
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:54 pm

They died in 7 days?
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:58 pm

Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Roxy the Rat Girl » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:29 pm

I wanna go to Wanchai
Roxy the Rat Girl
Under 18s

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:48 am

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/sa-business-basetec-services-signs-1-billion-deal-with-chinese-investors-to-build-high-pressure-oil-gas-and-water-pipes/story-e6frea83-1226631077671

It does look a tad contrived when the MD cant even make it to the announcement.
Did Weatherill negotiate and agree it on his behalf?

Hopefully we will find out what are the benefits of him travelling overseas other than to announce old news.
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby southee » Wed May 01, 2013 4:54 pm

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 6633223859

Pure Class by Mr. Koutsantonis !!!! :roll:
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 861 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby Gozu » Wed May 01, 2013 8:16 pm

Huge news.

Marshall has proven himself to be a bit of an idiot but to be fair the audacity of Turbo Tom to be saying it is staggering.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Been liked: 660 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed May 01, 2013 8:34 pm

Politically naive Gozu, but he's no idiot.
The idiots are the people who have ruined this State and now retire on huge super payouts.
The bigger idiots are the ones who are going to stay for the slaughter.
The even bigger idiots are those that voted these incompetents back in at the last election.
Tommy the Kout, the Minister for Safe Driving who is one of the worst offenders in this State, the man who said we would earn BILLIONS, and now recants, blaming the company who, at the time, said he was going over the top; this is the future of your Labor Party.
Tommy the Kout is best mates with the shoppies union exec - he is the future of the Labor Party in this State. Nothing much changes, does it!
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby southee » Wed May 01, 2013 8:54 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:Politically naive Gozu, but he's no idiot.
The idiots are the people who have ruined this State and now retire on huge super payouts.
The bigger idiots are the ones who are going to stay for the slaughter.
The even bigger idiots are those that voted these incompetents back in at the last election.
Tommy the Kout, the Minister for Safe Driving who is one of the worst offenders in this State, the man who said we would earn BILLIONS, and now recants, blaming the company who, at the time, said he was going over the top; this is the future of your Labor Party.
Tommy the Kout is best mates with the shoppies union exec - he is the future of the Labor Party in this State. Nothing much changes, does it!

Correct Jimmy....good post !! :D
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 861 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Thu May 02, 2013 9:58 am

I forgot to add: the Darlington Interchange was a major election promise from this government, albeit, stolen from the Liberals.
So, next time you ask for the Libs to announce their policies, how about we actually ask Labor to do the same and also tell us which ones they intend to keep!
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Roxy the Rat Girl » Tue May 07, 2013 12:11 am

Labour pinched quite a few of the Libs policies under Mike Rann but some have blown up in their face; the Desalination Plant as a case in point.
Roxy the Rat Girl
Under 18s

Postby Dog_ger » Wed May 15, 2013 5:09 pm

Roxy the Rat Girl wrote:Labour pinched quite a few of the Libs policies under Mike Rann but some have blown up in their face; the Desalination Plant as a case in point.

We needed the Desalination Plant.

It will protect this state in future droughts.

Forever.

And it only cost us @ 2012 prices.

Unlike the price of the one way freeway down south to correct.
Smile :)

It's only Money $$$ :)

What is happening to our SANFL guys...
Dog_ger
Coach

Been liked: 19 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics