The South Australian Political Landscape

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: The South Australian Political Landscape

Postby Gozu » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:18 am

Crikey vs Ann 'anti-fluorider' Bressington. she's now becoming a nation wide embarrassment:

This week I found myself the target of some vituperation from anti-fluoride, erm, “campaigners” after my attention was drawn to an appalling picture of Tanya Plibersek posted to the Facebook page of South Australian independent Legislative Councillor Ann Bressington. I contacted Bressington asking why a commenter’s suggestion that the Health Minister be “lynched” was allowed to remain on Bressington’s page and whether she thought accusing Plibersek of “crimes against humanity” was likely to incite such views. Bressington then posted my email on her Facebook page as well. When News Ltd political editor Tory Shepherd contacted her, Bressington posted details of that, too.

Bressington declined to accept my Friend request on Facebook, thereby preventing me from responding to the anti-fluoride folk on her page — on the basis that she if she couldn’t comment on my Twitter, I wouldn’t be allowed to comment on her Facebook. She actually said this to me in a comment to me… on Twitter. Yes, this woman votes. Not votes in the normal sense — she votes in the South Australian upper house. On legislation.

http://blogs.crikey.com.au/thestump/201 ... uoridians/
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby Roxy the Rat Girl » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:14 pm

Gozu wrote:Crikey vs Ann 'anti-fluorider' Bressington. she's now becoming a nation wide embarrassment:

This week I found myself the target of some vituperation from anti-fluoride, erm, “campaigners” after my attention was drawn to an appalling picture of Tanya Plibersek posted to the Facebook page of South Australian independent Legislative Councillor Ann Bressington. I contacted Bressington asking why a commenter’s suggestion that the Health Minister be “lynched” was allowed to remain on Bressington’s page and whether she thought accusing Plibersek of “crimes against humanity” was likely to incite such views. Bressington then posted my email on her Facebook page as well. When News Ltd political editor Tory Shepherd contacted her, Bressington posted details of that, too.

Bressington declined to accept my Friend request on Facebook, thereby preventing me from responding to the anti-fluoride folk on her page — on the basis that she if she couldn’t comment on my Twitter, I wouldn’t be allowed to comment on her Facebook. She actually said this to me in a comment to me… on Twitter. Yes, this woman votes. Not votes in the normal sense — she votes in the South Australian upper house. On legislation.

http://blogs.crikey.com.au/thestump/201 ... uoridians/

Oh dear Ann :oops:
"cricket is the most important activity in men's lives, the most important thread in the fabric of the cosmos"
Roxy the Rat Girl
Under 18s

Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 34 times
Grassroots Team: Langhorne Creek

Postby Gozu » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:46 pm

The Premier Jay Weatherill & Opposition Leader Steven Marshall had a leader's debate today:

THE two political leaders vying for South Australia's vote one year from today have laid out their contrasting plans for the economy.
Premier Jay Weatherill and Opposition Leader Steven Marshall faced a 700-plus crowd in an hour-long leaders debate - exactly 12 months out from the March 2014 state election.

Mr Weatherill used the debate to make the case for continued government investment in the economy while Mr Marshall said a Liberal government would encourage the private sector to create jobs.

The pair faced questions from a panel of three on the Budget and returning to surplus, the influence of federal politics, taxes and revenue, stemming the brain drain, international migration and the standard of public debate.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 6597677922
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Postby GWW » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:23 pm

I don't know anything about specifics of the debate, but Marshall - although maybe suited to a role such as Treasurer - really doesn't come across to me at all as a potential Premier.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby dedja » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:46 pm

I saw a bit of it.

Marshall doesn't have the polish but he did fairly well ... can come across as a bit amateurish at times. Had the audience on his side.

Weatherill looked a bit uneasy and frustrated ... to be honest I think he was a tad rattled by the latest poll.
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 1034 times

Postby Sky Pilot » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:26 pm

dedja wrote:I saw a bit of it.

Marshall doesn't have the polish but he did fairly well ... can come across as a bit amateurish at times. Had the audience on his side.

Weatherill looked a bit uneasy and frustrated ... to be honest I think he was a tad rattled by the latest poll.

I've been so faaarking busy this week I haven't seen this poll. What was the bottom line D?
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

Postby Squawk » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:47 pm

Briefly Sky Pilot, the poll was 59-41 in favour of the Libs. The biggest failing was it only polled 412 people.

As for the debate, it was actually better than I expected. Marshall was scripted at times and Weatherill performed better on his feet. However, given he's only had the gig for not much more than a couple of months, Marshall did better than you might expect. I'd say honours were probably split.

What would be nice would be to see some Town Hall debates where the audience is Joe Public rather than Joe Developer. Sounds like they are both keen for some more debates, so here's hoping.
Steve Bradbury and Michael Milton. Aussie Legends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnztSjUB2U
Squawk
Assistant Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:43 am

Whilst I'm eating my toast, I keep hearing people want to see the Liberals policies.

Can I also please see Labor's policies because I'm not sure they actually have any. "We will continue the successful government as is" really doesn't cut it.
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 728 times
Been liked: 1083 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Sojourner » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:08 am

Pretty sure there are plenty of people that vote Green that are anti fluoride, It seems to be an issue that crosses the Right / Left boundary pretty evenly.
Steamranger, South Australia's best ever Tourist Attraction, Treat Yourself, Let your Money Buy you Happiness!!!
Sojourner
Veteran

Has liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Postby Gozu » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:19 pm

Sojourner wrote:Pretty sure there are plenty of people that vote Green that are anti fluoride, It seems to be an issue that crosses the Right / Left boundary pretty evenly.

Yet to come across one. It's a far-right anti-government/anti-science/new world order thing.
Gozu
Coach

Postby tipper » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:32 pm

and here i thought that anti science was something the greens were all over like a cheap suit... obviously got my wires crossed.
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby Roxy the Rat Girl » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:37 pm

Gozu wrote:
Sojourner wrote:Pretty sure there are plenty of people that vote Green that are anti fluoride, It seems to be an issue that crosses the Right / Left boundary pretty evenly.

Yet to come across one. It's a far-right anti-government/anti-science/new world order thing.

I know a quite a few greens voters and party supporters / members and not one of them is anti fluoride.

The idea that all greens voters are sandal wearing vegans who derive an income from playing bongo drums at country markets is not credible. Although some greens supporters certainly fit into this category, most live 'normal' lives with 'normal' jobs and are simply people who care about social equality and environmental matters as a high priority.
"cricket is the most important activity in men's lives, the most important thread in the fabric of the cosmos"
Roxy the Rat Girl
Under 18s

Postby tipper » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:44 pm

Roxy the Rat Girl wrote:
Gozu wrote:

I know a quite a few greens voters and party supporters / members and not one of them is anti fluoride.

The idea that all greens voters are sandal wearing vegans who derive an income from playing bongo drums at country markets is not credible. Although some greens supporters certainly fit into this category, most live 'normal' lives with 'normal' jobs and are simply people who care about social equality and environmental matters as a high priority.

personally my perception of the greens is the vocal ones fit the stereo type outlined above. but i agree that probably the majority of voters fit the second category.

i have actually given my vote to the greens in the past (not every time, but on the odd occasion) however more recently i have gone right off them and hope they die a horrible death at this next election. their policies seem to be dominated by loonie ideas, and they seem hell bent on pushing their idea of society on the rest of us, whether we like it or not. i realise that is no different to the major parties, however they dont seem to have the same level of insanity attached to their views.
tipper
League - Top 5

Postby Gozu » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:27 pm

tipper wrote:
Roxy the Rat Girl wrote:
Gozu wrote:

personally my perception of the greens is the vocal ones fit the stereo type outlined above. but i agree that probably the majority of voters fit the second category.

i have actually given my vote to the greens in the past (not every time, but on the odd occasion) however more recently i have gone right off them and hope they die a horrible death at this next election. their policies seem to be dominated by loonie ideas, and they seem hell bent on pushing their idea of society on the rest of us, whether we like it or not. i realise that is no different to the major parties, however they dont seem to have the same level of insanity attached to their views.

WorkChoices.
Gozu
Coach

Postby tipper » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:48 pm

fair point, i hadnt thought of that. but i am also no liberal lackey so i wasnt necessarily trying to spruik them either.

to be honest i am not sure who my vote will go to, sadly there seems to be a dearth of choices for the upcoming election :(
tipper
League - Top 5

Postby Sojourner » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:57 pm

Mark Aldridge seems to have plenty to say about Fluoride, I am not sure if he is Left or Right, but I do know that he does a lot with the Animal Liberation group of SA who would likely be considered a part of the political left,

Check out his statement on it,

http://www.markmaldridge.com/FLUORIDE-T ... TRUTH.html
Steamranger, South Australia's best ever Tourist Attraction, Treat Yourself, Let your Money Buy you Happiness!!!
Sojourner
Veteran

Has liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Postby Roxy the Rat Girl » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:04 pm

tipper wrote:to be honest i am not sure who my vote will go to, sadly there seems to be a dearth of choices for the upcoming election

X2
Roxy the Rat Girl
Under 18s

Postby dedja » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:37 pm

Sojourner wrote:Mark Aldridge seems to have plenty to say about Fluoride, I am not sure if he is Left or Right, but I do know that he does a lot with the Animal Liberation group of SA who would likely be considered a part of the political left,

Australia has very stringent and rigorous National Water Drinking standards so these looneys should find something else to waste their time on.
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 1034 times

Postby Gozu » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:08 am

Sojourner wrote:Mark Aldridge seems to have plenty to say about Fluoride, I am not sure if he is Left or Right, but I do know that he does a lot with the Animal Liberation group of SA who would likely be considered a part of the political left,

Mark Aldridge, the former One Nation candidate.
Gozu
Coach

Postby Roxy the Rat Girl » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:59 pm

Gozu wrote:

Mark Aldridge, the former One Nation candidate.

I had a look at his website - he seems middle of the road on most issues.
Roxy the Rat Girl
Under 18s

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics