The South Australian Political Landscape

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: The South Australian Political Landscape

Postby Roxy the Rat Girl » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:33 am

9 portfolios and still get a round of golf in each week - I like it.
"cricket is the most important activity in men's lives, the most important thread in the fabric of the cosmos"
Roxy the Rat Girl
Under 18s

Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 34 times
Grassroots Team: Langhorne Creek

Postby Sky Pilot » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:24 am

Roxy the Rat Girl wrote:9 portfolios and still get a round of golf in each week - I like it.

Well, how hard would it be to run SA? The beauracracy and public service do all the admin, the cast of 1000s take care of the spade work, the unions make sure no one steps out of line and actually rock the boat so it all just flows. The Premier and his/her colleagues just need to swan around pretending to be in charge. It would be a shite job anyway and doesn't pay all that well considering the scrutiny you live under.
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

Postby OnSong » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:46 am

Roxy the Rat Girl wrote:Doesn't this mean that these portfolios are in effect not represented in cabinet?

Not entirely. I think the idea is these so-called outer shadow ministers regularly work with the 8 core shadow ministers, who then take these issues into cabinet meetings.

For example, Steven Griffiths will work with M H-S when it comes to the regional development portfolio etc. I'm not sure how foolproof it is but apparently its a corporate structure often used in big business.
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 548 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Roxy the Rat Girl » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:55 am

OK thanks. Will be interesting to see if it translate from business to Government.
"cricket is the most important activity in men's lives, the most important thread in the fabric of the cosmos"
Roxy the Rat Girl
Under 18s

Postby OnSong » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:55 am

Roxy the Rat Girl wrote:OK thanks. Will be interesting to see if it translate from business to Government.

x2
OnSong
Coach

Postby Gozu » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:11 pm

Two lunatics for the price of one!

A SOUTH Australian MP paid for controversial climate change sceptic Christopher Monckton to fly to Adelaide and make a speech earlier this month – and then spoke at the same event about the Club of Rome, Agenda 21 and the UN-sponsored world government controlling Australia.

Independent member of the upper house Ann Bressington opened an event starring Monckton at the Convention Centre on February 2.

Bressington confirmed to Indaily she sponsored Monckton’s Adelaide trip, but wouldn’t reveal how much money she contributed.

http://indaily.wordpress.com/2013/02/13 ... aide-trip/
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby OnSong » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:15 pm

I can't really digest any of that.
OnSong
Coach

Postby dedja » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:16 pm

Bressington is an affront to democracy and if she had any moral fibre, would have resigned her seat long ago.

She received a handful of votes on Nick Xenophon's ticket and didn't have any expectation of winning a senate seat, then basically dis-owned Xenophon and now pursues her warped agenda with moral and ethical illegitimacy.

Has absolutely no hope of ever being re-elected.

Your democracy at work ... :roll:
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

This post has not been approved by Dave from Alberton.
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 1059 times

Postby Q. » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:20 pm

dedja wrote:Bressington is an affront to democracy and if she had any moral fibre, would have resigned her seat long ago.

She received a handful of votes on Nick Xenophon's ticket and didn't have any expectation of winning a senate seat, then basically dis-owned Xenophon and now pursues her warped agenda with moral and ethical illegitimacy.

A lot of progressive voters were disgruntled by this. She is the true definition of loopy.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby OnSong » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:21 pm

Q. wrote:
dedja wrote:Bressington is an affront to democracy and if she had any moral fibre, would have resigned her seat long ago.

A lot of progressive voters were disgruntled by this. She is the true definition of loopy.

She is F'd in the H
OnSong
Coach

Postby Sky Pilot » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:23 pm

Q. wrote:

Worse than Sarah H-Y?
F***k she must be bad!
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Postby Roxy the Rat Girl » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:44 pm

OnSong wrote:
Q. wrote:

She is F'd in the H

She is unrepresentative and a disgrace to the South Australian public.
Roxy the Rat Girl
Under 18s

Postby Psyber » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:21 pm

Roxy the Rat Girl wrote:OK thanks. Will be interesting to see if it translate from business to Government.
Studies of group dynamics suggest that any group of more than 9 tends to break up into factions so decisions take longer to make and sometimes can't be made at all - or keep getting changed.

Sound familiar?
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby southee » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:13 pm

Sky Pilot wrote:
Q. wrote:

Worse than Sarah H-Y?
F***k she must be bad!

Dont think anyone is worse than SHY :oops:
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 861 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby Gozu » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:00 am

Clearly Bressington is.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:20 pm

Wo betide anyone voicing an opposite view
Whether he's right or wrong, he is still allowed to have an opinion and tell it to anyone who wants to listen.
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 731 times
Been liked: 1092 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Sky Pilot » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:25 pm

That's what our forefathers fought a couple of wars over isn't it?
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Postby Gozu » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:38 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:Wo betide anyone voicing an opposite view
Whether he's right or wrong, he is still allowed to have an opinion and tell it to anyone who wants to listen.

I agree as insane as some views are the Fredrick Toben's of the world should still be allowed to have their say, not sure anyone suggested otherwise either.
Gozu
Coach

Postby Squawk » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:53 am

Roxy the Rat Girl wrote:I'm sure I heard Stephen Marshall say in the press conference to announce his Shadow Ministry "Every potfolio will represented in the cabinet, but some potfolios will be delegated down to deputy shadow minsters who are not in the cabinet". Doesn't this mean that these portfolios are in effect not represented in cabinet? Ah what the heck, I like the guy. :)

Roxy -
Cabinet applies to the Govt. of the day. Shadow Cabinet applies to the Opposition of the day.
Inner and Outer Ministries are not completely uncommon - the Federal Govt is a prolific exponent of having such an arrangement. The Outer Ministry may attend Cabinet meetings when they have a submission, or otherwise be represented by their more senior Cabinet representative. For example, I think the Minister for Home Affairs is in the outer Ministry, but the Attorney-General is in the inner Ministry and therefore, in Cabinet.
By adopting this model, I think Marshall has tried to create a niche leadership team, rather than trying to herd cats across the whole shadow ministry. Old rivals in MHS, Chapman, Evans etc are all part of effectively a senior leadership group.
The current state Govt had a similar model for many years - under a different name. It was called the Executive Committee of Cabinet, and from memory it had about 5 senior Ministers (Rann, Foley, Conlon, Hill included from memory), and was supplemented by unelected members, including the Chair who was Robert Champion de Crespigny. Many significant issues for Cabinet consideration were required to be considered by ExComm in the first instance, or by referral.
Even currently, there is an arrangement whereby there is "Cabinet" and "Cabinet Sub Committee". The latter considers most of the routine business that govt is responsible for - eg Board appointments, to allow the agenda of full Cabinet to not become overburdened.
Hope that helps explain the "Marshall Plan" in the context of current operating arrangements of both the (current) Federal and State (Labor) Governments.
Steve Bradbury and Michael Milton. Aussie Legends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnztSjUB2U
Squawk
Assistant Coach

Postby Roxy the Rat Girl » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:22 pm

Thanks Squawk, that certainly sheds a bit of light on it for me. Cheers.
Roxy the Rat Girl
Under 18s

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics