The good in football clubs

Adelaide Footy League, Southern, Country Footy, VFL, WAFL, NTFL, etc.

The good in football clubs

Postby Dogwatcher » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:50 pm

By ROB McLEAN

WALKING the aisles of a supermarket can often be a torturous thing.
Whether it be pushing a trolley which has all of the maneuverability of a Model T, an inability to find the must need ingredient for that night's meal, purchasing some of those 'lady' products for the wife, or the ever present threat of running into someone who wants to turn your five minute trip to the shops into a half hour conversation about their latest eBay purchase, there are many reasons to abhor the supermarket.
This afternoon though, I'm very glad my wife sent me across to the shops to grab some milk for tonight's tuna mornay.
Ducking in as quickly as I could, I kept my head low trying to maintain that familiar subterfuge we all adopt so as to pretend we haven't seen that person we don't wish to speak to.
Down one aisle, to the fridge section I trotted and was about to reach my objective when out of the corner of my eye I saw someone who I've known for a very long time, a lady who I know who has gone through a very rough trot of late.
I smiled, for this was one person I was willing to make some time for.
Our conversation meandered through various topics until it reached a natural pause and I asked "and how are you going?"
It was a loaded question but one that this lady would have expected from the moment we started talking.
Today was the first time I'd seen her since she lost her much loved husband - a man who did so much for the football club that they were both involved in and whom I'd known since I was running around in a guernsey that was way too big for me.
The lady in question was putting on a brave face but what she had to tell me warmed my heart and lifted my own spirits.
She told me that the football club, for which we both share so much love and affection, had been fantastic and the members are continuing to stand by her and make sure she is all right.
This is a story that reinforces the wonderful way in which football (and sporting) clubs can embrace people and make them feel special.
It is a story that reminds us of all the good that football clubs can achieve for ourselves and our communities.
It is a story that should be told when the latest scandal involving an AFL or NRL player hits the headlines.
Despite the thoughts of some columnists (who are paid good money to bring in the readers with whatever sensationalist rubbish they can dredge up), football clubs are not just about buffoons getting too drunk to know what they are doing when a female or stray dog wanders past.
Football clubs have a heart and soul, an ability to teach us, embrace us and bring out the best in ourselves and those around us.
I know, for one, that I'm a better person for having been involved in football clubs all of my life.
I'm sure there are many more people out there like me.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues